Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
jsk wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:
Why so much hate for the undermount set up? Just curious

It seriously limits BTA hydration options.

On Alpha X, there are a pair of BTA bosses built into the stem cover that can be used when using the undermount setup.
I have the Alpha C (proprietary stem). I guess you applied some 'lessons learned' on the Alpha X. :)
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's got final hour predictions?

I doubt that it's going to be one of these Lotus or Ventum style bikes. I'm pretty sure he hates the looks of those bikes...or at least, he said something along those lines in his Ventum review. Plus, he is an incorrigible weight weenie, and aren't those bikes heavy as all hell?

I think it might be modeled after the O.G. Trek like the one he just built up with the glossy white Alpha X front end. Now THAT is a fine looking bicycle. I am sure he will make liberal use of the virtual airfoil poppycock in designing the tube shapes.

I expect there to be no bolt occlusion throughout. My prediction is that, like Henry Ford, he will unapologetically offer it only in black (glossy black with hideous orange accents that clash with every other color, in this case).

I think he positions the module right on top of Specialized at the $5,000 pricepoint, which would put Omni $500 north of the Speed Concept -- a significantly better bike of course, but Trek doesn't offer the legendary customer support and service experience that TriRig does. That deserves a premium.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
TriRig wrote:
jsk wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

On Alpha X, there are a pair of BTA bosses built into the stem cover that can be used when using the undermount setup.

I have the Alpha C (proprietary stem). I guess you applied some 'lessons learned' on the Alpha X. :)

Your problem is the proprietary stem, which the Alpha X wouldn't help you solve. The Sigma XF also has bosses for a BTA bottle that is perfect when rocking the undermount setup. But this doesn't help you solve the problem of where to keep your Garmin, which is a problem (to date) that Nick has failed to acknowledge exists.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about he just rips off the first gen speed concept with a deep-ass fork with a little nook carved out for the front brake?

I bought mine in 2011 and haven't been compelled to even look at a new TT bike. The only thing I would upgrade on my SC7 is that horrible first-gen Omega front brake!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't purchase the entirely unaffordable TriRig Speed Concept clamp kit?

Saves 200 grams!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha. No, I bought the peasant version (7 vs 9) and then took a hack-saw to a brand new Ventus like a grown-up in order to make it fit.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the real question no one is asking is at what point does (has already) TriRig moved from a product review site to a product manufacturer? Now Nick does both, though the product offerings are somewhat limited... But that continues to increase and now with a frameset, he is now a bike manufacturer. I think he does a decent job of reviewing products now in spite of the fact that he sells competing products, but at some point the pendulum swings a little too far. Trek after all does not review Cervelo products and I think it would be a little strange if they did.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Sep 12, 16 16:12
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe no more bike reviews and more component reviews that do not compete with his products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet it will have rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Facebook photos show no downtube. It's going to look like a Ventum

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick is smart. It is going to be a Ventum, Hotta style front end with a rear end that tucks in nicely.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That could be bad for Ventum..... unless they're working together, re-designing the Ventum and then rebranding it as the Tririg frame; probably not, but that wouldn't be a horrible marketing move on Ventum's part.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
That could be bad for Ventum..... unless they're working together, re-designing the Ventum and then rebranding it as the Tririg frame; probably not, but that wouldn't be a horrible marketing move on Ventum's part.
Which makes me wonder, whatever happened to the new Ventum that Jimmy mentioned and would be posted on their website? That was at least a month ago but no confirmation since then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
But this doesn't help you solve the problem of where to keep your Garmin, which is a problem (to date) that Nick has failed to acknowledge exists.

eh?

Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I do the same but with a 520. Except that my cockpit is considerably shorter than yours so pulling out a bottle -- especially those tall one's they hand out at races -- is always a tight squeeze with my head unit and frequently I hit the lap button by mistake. This is really petty, but feels like an integration that's lacking

Anyways I think the Zipp BTA solution is a pretty good one but it doesn't work that well with an undercount setup.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

That is definitely not happening.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not be opposed to ripping off the first gen Speed Concept while slightly improving storage integration (e.g. designing around a downtube aero bottle) and integrating the top tube with the Alpha X.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
I doubt that it's going to be one of these Lotus or Ventum style bikes. I'm pretty sure he hates the looks of those bikes.

Holding this for tomorrow's (to you) shock.

No downtube, integrated flat storage, $4500 fame/fork/seatpost.

Somewhere in the 1100-1200 gram territory is my guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
jsk wrote:
TriRig wrote:
jsk wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

Your problem is the proprietary stem, which the Alpha X wouldn't help you solve. The Sigma XF also has bosses for a BTA bottle that is perfect when rocking the undermount setup. But this doesn't help you solve the problem of where to keep your Garmin, which is a problem (to date) that Nick has failed to acknowledge exists.

You'll get no argument from me about lack of flexibility with the proprietary stem, wish I'd known more when I purchased.

That said I still don't understand the trend towards 'tall' frames in the market when it's so easy to pedestal the pads for a taller fit. Another strike against undermount extensions on a tall frame is the bullhorns being higher than one might like, plus the fact that it limits your choice in extension bars if you don't want a super-low hand position when on the aero bars.

There's just really nothing to like about undermounted extensions, they're a last resort IMHO and come with real limitations.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan effectively answered this question in the x/y series. Because people are riding these bikes so tall that they can't actually pedestal the pads high enough in a normal configuration. So manufacturers are producing for the mass market. Seriously, there are so few people clamoring for long and low -- it just feels that way because all of them are vocal on this forum. There is no gaping failure in the market
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.tririg.com/store.php?c=omni

Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
http://www.tririg.com/store.php?c=omni

That is the most appealing of the new/old designs. Would be very interesting if it fitted.
Lots of things done right. Especially the built in bento, which I've been waiting to see someone do for years.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've got my writeup on the front page. it'll fit fine. it looks midrange, but it'll take care of the low folks because of how the bar adjusts.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i've got my writeup on the front page. it'll fit fine. it looks midrange, but it'll take care of the low folks because of how the bar adjusts.

Not me, #alienfitsmatter
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

I have, of course, already read your writeup.
It doesn't fit me - I'm not going to ride a medium with only 600mm of front centre.
While it makes sense that he has designed the frame fit around the bars he already offers, it's unfortunate because the bars are a bit limited.
Quote Reply

Prev Next