Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
From Giro via aerogeeks: "Giro tells us the Aerohead MIPS is 42.4 seconds faster over 180km (at 250 watts) than the Giro Advantage (and 25.5 seconds faster that the Air Attack Shield)."

So there you go. Probably less than a minute.

That suggests that the Air Attack is faster than the Advantage which I think most would say is not based on fact.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any one here go from a bell javlin to the aero head? The bell medium 55-59 fits perfect. Would like to know which size in the aero head will be compatable. I love the fit of the javelin but ive got to tip it back in order to get the tail to be flush with my spine.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore that in the Javelin and medium Aerohead also fits quite well in a Medium-more comfortable and cooler than Javelin in my opinion
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I was a bit worried about the fogging and cheek cutting. Used it for the first time this past weekend on a three hour ride. I live in the Houston area so average temp on my ride was 97 degrees and very humid as a rain storm was rolling in. Didn't fog one bit so not sure how others are having issues with this as I truly doubt anyone has used it in hotter or more humid conditions.

No cheek issues either. Very nice helmet.

I wear a size M or S/M in most helmets and the M Aerohead fits great on me.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I wore that in the Javelin and medium Aerohead also fits quite well in a Medium-more comfortable and cooler than Javelin in my opinion
Tks!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this thing can fog--but no more or less than any aero helmet with a visor. My Javelin could/did fog. I used the Specialized TT helmet in a rainy, humid race and it fogged horribly so I ripped off visor before even leaving T1, which wasn't easy and I thought I broke it i had to pull so hard (I did not). I think aero head ventilates FAR better than those helmets based on my experience and the bonus of the Aero head is that the visor is easily removed in case it does fog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't you going to fog when humidity is present and the air temp is much cooler than the temp inside there helmet?

I had almost no fogging issues with my P-09 (visor helmet), I think because it was just a much cooler helmet.

Maybe someone who did IMMT can chime in but for my friend and me it was practically impossible to see out of our aeroheads as the visor was permanently fogged.
Last edited by: davews09: Sep 8, 16 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where have folks bought the Arrowhead? My LBS told me yesterday that the helmet is backordered until Nonvember. Is this true? I was hoping to use the 25% helmet trade in to get one by IM Choo. Dang it.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a little fogging at IMMT but it cleared up after 30 minutes or so. Trying to see through the rain was harder
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [JTriAll3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought one off eBay. I paid $225 for a brand new one.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine did not fog up during IMMT until the second loop at an add station. I jumped off my bike to use the bathroom and it fogged up in there and I decided to just take the visor off as the rain was making it already difficult to see in the 1st place.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-run wrote:
totally agree with thomas, the aerohead is much hotter then the louis garneau. Used it today for the first time and i was sweating much more then i use to on my head. Sweat was constantly dropping on the visor. Didn't leave any salty stripes or residu and it didn't bother me but in really hot weather for some it might be to hot.

Jeroen

Tri-Run.com
I was going to ask about this, I have the Giro Air Attack Shield as my road helmet and its visibility gets bad on hot days. The sweat drips down the front onto the visor and on some days I have to flip it over and go without due to it getting too cloudy.

So your sweat drips and runs off of the Aero Head visor with no residue at all? If so I wonder if there's some kind of treatment or something else at play here, my Air Attack is a different story.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is really not much you can do about sweat getting on the visor on any helmet. The only thing I do is squirt water under the visor to clear off as much sweat as possible. I get a nice refreshing blast of water on my face at the same time. You do need a bottle of water though (don't use your sport drink ;).
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [GiroSportDesign] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GiroSportDesign wrote:
ccassidy wrote:
When will replacement shields and travel pods be available for the arrowhead?
Thx

Replacement shields and Aerohead travel cases / pods should be available in late September.

Can't find anything... do you have a link you could share?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [forshy0516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought this might be the helmet that got me to embrace visors, but I'm still not convinced. If you decide to remove the visor due to rain/sweat, does it then have the aerodynamic properties of a bus?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
I thought this might be the helmet that got me to embrace visors, but I'm still not convinced. If you decide to remove the visor due to rain/sweat, does it then have the aerodynamic properties of a bus?

In that case get the Specialized TT lid. Visor is granted neutral.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wore it at Augusta a couple of weeks ago. No fogging at all.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [forshy0516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recommend you try car wax for the visor, just make sure it is good quality without any grit. Liquid wax works well. Apply a thin layer to both sides and let dry completely then buff with a soft cloth. It will prevent fogging and sweat and rain will bead off it. Did this in college hockey and never had a problem in changing temps, steam and sweat.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri3ba wrote:
Recommend you try car wax for the visor, just make sure it is good quality without any grit. Liquid wax works well. Apply a thin layer to both sides and let dry completely then buff with a soft cloth. It will prevent fogging and sweat and rain will bead off it. Did this in college hockey and never had a problem in changing temps, steam and sweat.

Wow. I have never heard of that fix. Sounds like a great idea because sweat streaks ar something I have problems with on visors and glasses.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [GiroSportDesign] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any update as to when replacement visors will be available?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
I have all the data that is relevant- mine.

Now if you want to speak as to everyone else then you should read this post again:
dfroelich wrote:
I brought mine to the UW tunnel on saturday.
We had 13 helmets on hand, but the other two people had small/medium sized heads and brought helmets accordingly. My large melon meant I didn't get to sample as many as I'd like.

The data they provided is not so friendly as cda, so numbers will have to wait. I did find the aerohead tested better for me than my old javelin (large) and kask bambino (medium). I couldn't squeeze into the Cateye, Poc, or lazer wasp.

The aerohead did NOT test better on the other riders, but perhaps if we had a medium (or even small) on hand, that may have made a difference.

Sure, you could say that it's because the helmet was too big for those other rides, but this just illustrates another problem with absolutes. I can't fit into a medium Selector, but I can fit a medium Javelin, Cerebral, and Split. Guess which of those four is consistently slowest on me? Just because A is faster than B on subject X, does not mean it's fastest if C through Z haven't been tested. Is the Aerohead a good shout in a vacuum? Dunno, could be the next P09 or S-Works. It could also be the next Bambino...

Now tested the Aerohead. 5w slower than my goto lid. Feeling smug.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is slightly OT but your previous post (that you've quoted there) raises something that I've thought about for a while.

My head size and shape puts me right on the boundary of a medium and large in most helmet makes and models. I'm wondering, how important is size in relation to overall drag?

I know testing is the only way that I'm going to know for sure, but if I can just squeeze into a medium Specialized Evade, is it completely pointless even considering any helmet where I'd have to size up to a large? With the old-fashioned eye-ball test, most look like melons on my head and it's sure hard to see how any reduction in Cd is going counteract the increase A.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
This is slightly OT but your previous post (that you've quoted there) raises something that I've thought about for a while.

My head size and shape puts me right on the boundary of a medium and large in most helmet makes and models. I'm wondering, how important is size in relation to overall drag?

I know testing is the only way that I'm going to know for sure, but if I can just squeeze into a medium Specialized Evade, is it completely pointless even considering any helmet where I'd have to size up to a large? With the old-fashioned eye-ball test, most look like melons on my head and it's sure hard to see how any reduction in Cd is going counteract the increase A.

This may also be why one size fits all helmets like the old Wingspan test poorly on many/most folks; it just may be too big for them.

I'd love to see data not only on how each helmet tested for people; but also data on their head measurement, size helmet tested, head position and angle, etc. Aerodynamics is a science, and with enough data points we could probably get a reasonable predictive model of what helmets will work well for individuals.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just finished testing it on someone. There were many helmets grouped near each other including this one. but iirc it didn't come in the top 2 maybe 3 helmets.

Looking at the photos of the test I can take a guess why.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:

In my opinion and experience, yes: if you have to size up, the helmet probably isn't worth considering. I think one of the reasons why the Giro A2 tests so well consistently is that it comes in three sizes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next