Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? August 29 Edition
Quote | Reply
How was it?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 29 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This week - I have my first modeling gig tomorrow. It is for Old Town Canoe and Kayak (local company) and I think it is going to be a fun day! I also need to make edits on my conference proposal and send to my advisor; write at least an outline of a journal article (this will be one of the papers included in my dissertation), finish an article for a newsletter... it's going to be busy :P sport goals are 3 bike days, 6 run days, 2 swim days.

Modeling was cancelled :-( I was so disappointed. They had asked for my availability the whole week, and asked me to come in on Wednesday. On Tuesday night, they emailed and said they didn't need me. I assume they got all the shots they needed M and T. I had been looking forward to it. Oh well. Maybe I'll have another opportunity someday.

I had a good meeting with my advisor yesterday, and I have an outline written.

I forgot all about the newsletter article. I'll do that today/tomorrow.

Sport-wise, I got a last-minute entry into a half marathon I wanted to run. I thought I was in shape for a PR, so I tried to get my legs rested Fr/Sat. I am proud of myself for the resting I did, but I was disappointed in the time. I was trying to run a 1:35. I started too fast I guess; we went through the first mile in 6:26 and 3 in 20:21. I had to make two pit stops (grrrr) and some hills slowed me down, and at mile 8 (1:00:25) I readjusted my goal time to under 1:40. I went through 10 in 1:16, and I felt like I was running 7:30s over the last 5k, but apparently I was running a little over 8's. I was really upset yesterday and feel a little better today. I think the upset was that it takes so much for me to rest --- I have trouble focusing when I don't get enough exercise, so Fr/Sat I got very little exercise AND was incredibly unproductive with school stuff. Hence that plus a race time I was unhappy with, I felt like I had accomplished nothing. I'm feeling a little better today.

M: off
T: 11.41 mi run + 7 mi road bike + 45 min teaching spin class
W: 8.1 mi run + 19.6 mi road bike + 1000 yd swim
Th: 8.1 mi run + 1900 yd swim
F: 4 mi easy run + 1500 yd swim
S: 3.14 mi easy run
S: half marathon race, 1:41:31, 2nd AG / 5th FOV

Sport goals for this week are to do whatever the heck I want (I had enough of resting last week!), primarily focused on cycling as I have a sprint tri on Sept 11. My usual pool was closed last week, and two of my swims were at the college pool when I was visiting/working there and one was at the local 20 yard pool (which makes me dizzy and nauseous in short order). I am excited to swim again. One goal is to PUT THE SPEEDOMETER ON THE BIKE.

I would say the high point of last week, actually, was Thursday, for two reasons. One: I wore one of my interview outfits (a very fitted black dress and printed cardigan) to U Maine when I was visiting. I almost immediately ran into the department head, who had a blazer on --- I was pleased I looked dressed up enough. Two: I got a good hour or so of speaking Dutch with a friend.

Hope everyone had a good week :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was terrible for swimming. I just wasn't into it. It's the opposite of what it should be too, as last week and this are the last two weeks of outdoor swimming.
Thursday was my last comp day. I teach at a CX clinic on Thursdays in the month of August, last week's was #3. One more this Thursday. We had a poor turnout and I wasn't doing much actual teaching. So, then this dude I have never seen before decides to give me UNSOLICITED ADVICE! I thought of the OTHER thread on this forum! LOL. Anyway, I humored him, while being obviously crabby (my friends noticed, and laughed, thought it was amusing). Guy offers to get rid of my skip step while remounting. I'm like, "I have been racing CX since '05 and can't get rid of it". Well, in non-race situations, I can indeed get rid of it. Which I do. He's all proud. Then we have a race simulation. I CLOBBERED him. Absolutely dusted the guy. Then he quit early. So then he was by the barriers, of course my skip step came back. After the "race", he actually apologized for being "so forward" and seemed genuinely surprised my skip step came back. "I'm all like 'I told you so, I can get rid of it in practice but in the races it just comes right back'". He seemed again so surprised. SHEESH. Thankfully he lives in Colorado and won't be around.
Of course I'd love to get rid of the skip step. I can practice it all I want but there it in in every race. Did this guy REALLY think 5 mins of his amazing "coaching" would get rid of it?

Otherwise, an OK week. WHat I really need to do is find some mojo.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 29 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I CLOBBERED him.

:-)

bet he felt sheepish.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great week! Only got one swim in this last week. The pool changed their bulkhead schedule and hasn't posted it online so I'm all confused as to when to swim now. I hate 25 yard setup and will rejigger my entire schedule around long course.

I got fit for my TT bike on Friday - pretty substantial changes. How did I ever used to ride and be comfortable? Anyway, did 40 miles on Saturday and made some further adjustments for comfort. I wasn't looking to push on the ride. Averaged 17.2 and was happy enough with the ride. And the fit. Nailed my mid-week trainerroad sessions.

Did my long run Sunday - 10 miles. I have a 13.1 trail race in two weeks so I've been hitting the trails. It was just sooooo beautiful out there I had to stop and take a zillion pictures. It was very distracting. But, a great run. Did my shorter runs during the week just fine.

I'm feeling a little tight lately so I'm going to stretch this week. I'm terrible at stretching...

Rock on ladies.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
swim x 2: win with 3
bike x 2: win
run x 4: win
core/strength x 4: win

HOLY CRAP I RODE MY CROSS BIKE! I even did a brick run afterward! It's like I'm a freakin' triathlete or something!

Seriously, my CX bike was still on the trainer - last time I touched it was March 1st. Had rode my mtb & commuter rig a bit, but just short stuff. I rode 20km on the mtb (to and from the market, with a big hill climb at the end) on Saturday, and another 20km on the CX bike with my husband (who hadn't gone cycling since last fall) on rail trail on Sunday. Not much, I'll admit, but that represents about 10% of the cycling I've done in 2016..

Also ran at a new spot on Saturday - had heard of Dryden Tract awhile back and kept meaning to make it out there, but it's hard to find and I wasn't sure what kind of trails were available. Went for it anyway, and once we finally got the right location (screw you, Google!), we were thoroughly enchanted.

It's not signed at all - there are white flashes as the Grand Valley Trail passes through it, but there are a lot of trail junctions with white flashes going off in all 4 directions - so it's pretty easy to get lost in there among the hills and rocks and roots. Not ideal with both sunset and a rainstorm looming, but we made it out without incident (and only about 15mins later than I'd anticipated). Very technical side trails mixed with buttery singletrack along the main arteries, and only 15mins from home! I'll definitely be back there.

This week's goals:
swim x 2
bike x 1
run x 4
core/strength x 4

Going to a motorcycle rally near Detroit for the weekend - leaving Friday afternoon and coming home Sunday. Bringing running kit with me and hope to get a couple of <1hr jaunts in. No fun trails anywhere near there, but I'll just have to make the best of it.

Quote | Reply
I haz a jealous of your mountain trails!

Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
Going to a motorcycle rally near Detroit for the weekend - leaving Friday afternoon and coming home Sunday. Bringing running kit with me and hope to get a couple of <1hr jaunts in. No fun trails anywhere near there, but I'll just have to make the best of it.
Wait, where? (Admittedly I am not up on my motorcycle rally news and events, lol.) There are metroparks and state parks everywhere, I'm sure you can find a trail.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope so! He kept blaming "the humidity". Whatever. I blame the guy's 'spare tire'
I was actually surprised, they mix men and women, and I took off from the start line like a bat out of hell and was actually rather surprised to find myself getting the "hole shot"... Two dudes passed me soon after, and maybe a few more, but at that point I can't recall, I was just trying to stay ahead of the other women but noticed that 'instructional' guy quite a ways back. <insert evil laugh here>
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 29 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm feeling a little tight lately so I'm going to stretch this week. I'm terrible at stretching...

I read magazines while I stretch or foam roll. That motivates me to do it :-)
Lovely pictures, BTW.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tc - That's a good tip - I too hate doing it.

Determination - that's hilarious in a "only us ladies get it" kind of way. :-)

SLO & K - awesome pics. bit jealous, won't lie. :-)

Last week: Physio continues, did heat + stretching + rollering + very basic exercises a few times thru the week. Getting good at knowing when that little tibialis posterior is being worked (and not hurt). Walking and inline once, and a LOT of riding. Been picking up QOMs on Strava too so that's a good sign I think. P's been nattering at me that I probably should think about a new bike - my race Olmo is 15yo although almost all components have been upgraded, piecemeal, through the years. You will laugh at me, but it's a XS frame (49cm) and I ride 54/42 w 11-25. So the gearing is ridiculous. It's super small, and I have a pretty decent drop, I ride slightly wider bars (42 not 40) and it's all Campy. I have always been a Campy girl. So... P says "the LBS has a clear out on LOOK right now..." (he has a Look 586RSP and loves it).

So we go to the LBS and look. They have a LOOK 765 in Small that I take for a spin. It;s got 50/34 Shimano and of course the steps got like 4 spacers on it lol and the standard 40 wide bars. So the thing feels just ridiculous. I'm all "WTF?" and the LBS manager says "man you look really good on that bike, just some tweaks here and there..." - yeah like most of the components? 105? really? compact? ugh. Decent price tho. Well call it $X.

We are pretty loyal to this LBS we spend a good amount of time & $ in there. All the staff know us by name. We have a standing discount. So I'm hoping this might work out OK. She asks what I'd want changed? Ultegra, 53/39 please. And a fit. So she says OK for $X +$200 done.

really?
really.

I AM GETTING A NEW BIKE! First one in 15 yrs. I am SO EXCITED! This is what it will look like:

Should arrive mid-week, so I'm hoping to get out for a spin on the weekend. Also: tough my 12yo daughter to her first concert last night: Duran Duran! Squee! It was a lot of fun, both of us in our matching DD shirts. :-)

This week: Physio 2x (she broke up the scar tissue this morning and it feels heaps better already); ride 3x; water running at least once; inline once.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 29 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay for a new bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at that! Lovely!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 29 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
mistressk wrote:

Wait, where? (Admittedly I am not up on my motorcycle rally news and events, lol.) There are metroparks and state parks everywhere, I'm sure you can find a trail.

This isn't a public rally - just a bunch of friends getting together at a farm in the boondocks to light stuff on fire, shoot at things and ride motorcycles.

I know the metroparks pretty well - Oakwoods is the closest to where I'll be (Newport/Monroe), but even it is a half-hour ride and I'm not sure if I will have 2+hrs to ride there, run for an hour in daylight, then run back. Plus they're nice, but mostly paved and the nature trails are so short! Oakwoods apparently has horseback riding trails that might be more interesting, but I know you need permission to ride them & not sure how they'd feel about someone running them. I looked at Point Mouillee State Game Area, but don't want to get shot or eaten alive by bugs running through marshland - the latter goes for Sterling State Park, too, which also only has short little trails. I've only packed road shoes anyway; easier to just "kthxbai" for an hour if I just run from the farm.

Congrats on the new bike Andy! And well done determination for schooling Mr. Know-it-All!

Quote | Reply
Happy Monday ladies of Slowtwitch!

Tigerchik, I am sorry about the modeling gig and hope there will be more. Gorgeous photos mistressk and SLOgoing -- I love your trail views.

I was traveling for work last week but did my daily correctives and p/rehab, managed to get in everything I'd hoped for and a little more on the bike, but wasn't able to swim until I got back home.

<quote>I'm on the road for work this week so I'm hoping to get in a 3 bikes and 3 swims, daily p/rehab and correctives. </quote>

So, 2 swims (1 ocean, 1 pool) and four bike (1 tough and great trainer ride, 3 rides including a course test for the race next month). Speaking of that race, thanks to the wisdom of y'all I decide that swim/bike/DNF my lost A Race will be good training and experience for me. Thank you all again for your feedback, I will report back and pinky promise not to run when I'm not supposed to.

This week should be a good one. My goals are daily correctives and p/rehab, some attempted yoga, 4 rides, 3 swims. I have a doctor's appointment on Friday and last week we started some "pre-running moves" (steps, lunges, SL work) so hopefully the progress continues.

In other news, my training partner was in a bike crash after a car made an illegal U-turn on the highway during our Saturday ride. Thank goodness he and the other cyclist involved walked away with only mangled bikes, cuts, and bruises. It really shook me up, especially as I thought of other friends who have been in crashes and not been so lucky. Then I read about Karen McKeachie's death. And then I saw Dan's post on quantifying risk from the main forum. So, all that's to say be safe out there ladies!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 29 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved your anecdote determination. He got what he deserved.

Last week was good. I had physio - still not allowed to run but I've reached the point where I don't really care anymore, I just want the night pain gone. I've been working on my right side a lot, which wasn't the side initially injured but was nonetheless the weaker side. My big toe is unhappy as a result because it appears I wasn't really using it for balance. Whoops; that sucker is just going to have to learn to deal.

I've been riding outdoors in preference over the trainer. It suddenly occurred to me that summer was almost over and there wouldn't be many outdoor rides left. I also realized that I had never ridden my road bike alone; I was always with Dan or in a group. So I've just started going out alone. It felt like a big breakthrough, (I have no clue why since I cycled alone on hybrids through university/before we got our second car in Canada) but I'm loving riding at the moment.

I also got myself onto strava; same name on there.

We also bought a Kickr so I rejigged our pain cave to make space for it. Next rainy day task will be to sort out all our bike supplies/parts into some sort of sensible order. Do you ladies have any great solutions? At the moment everything is in a variety of shoe boxes, plastic bags or just on the floor.

I'm looking forward to September. My summer job will be over (never again) and life will be back to normal and we're going to NYC and I will get to see my mom and sister, both of whom have birthdays coming up.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 29 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a cube shelf from IKEA. So each "cube" gets different stuff - lights, tubes, gloves, cleaners - are all separated out. It works pretty well.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 29 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good plan. the previous homeowners actually left a similar style shelf in a space just off our pain cave so I just need to sort that out too now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late reply
just got back from California.

Did Santa Rosa Marathon on Sunday. I tried to pace a friend to a BQ. She kind of fell apart at mile 16 :( . It's hard to train for a fast marathon in the heat of the summer. My quads are slightly sore. Otherwise I"m good. Which I'm super happy about, having right hip issues over the last year. I found yoga and it's saved me. I'm hoping to start real marathon training for the fall, but I'm signed up for 1/2 IM end of October.

I signed up for my 18th Boston this morning so that makes me super happy!!!!

Happy training everyone

AP - beautiful bike !! looks super fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh! Look at that bike <3

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 29 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah super stoked, can't wait to pick it up, hope to get in a ride or two this weekend on the new steed. :-) AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice bike!!!

Last week was the 1-year anniversary of my knee replacement and I saw the surgeon for a follow-up. It was actually pretty eye-opening. He did x-rays and everything looked "really really good" - the implant is perfect and no signs of anything wrong. Though it was a little unnerving when I asked what the shadow area on the bone was and he said, "Bone cement. We pressure force it into your bone before we set the implant." Might have rather not known that!

His parting words - "Get back out there and get strong and back in shape." I told him about all the little clicks, the lingering numbness (shaving that side of my leg can be an adventure), some slight pains, and the feeling that someone is tightening a belt around my knee and he said that is all normal and to be expected (up to 3 years!) Well now he tells me!! I also told him that a lot of my reticence in not going hard (or sometimes even going at all) is due to my mind - not wanting to "hurt" anything. But now that I know that all of that is normal, I'm making a training program for my own type of triathlon - swim, bike, walk/weights. Laying the base for 2017 starts now.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 29 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great news ironclm, wishing you luck as you get back on your journey!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 29 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh Cathy that is fantastic news. Now go forth and RIP IT UP! :-)

Looking forward to seeing pics of you on some podiums again.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm irrationally angry because on the "I killed a dog with my bike" thread, someone says to a poster, and this is a quote, "You're a fucking psychopath. Or a woman on the rag. Or both. Jesus."

The last time I called someone out for being sexist it didn't end well for me. And people wonder why women don't post in the main forum.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next