Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed but there is nothing specific about the design that causes fogging. It may fog in rain or very high humidity which is no different than any other helmet with a visor--but the ability to easily remove it is nice !
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [shelgemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shelgemo wrote:
I just got the helmet and have done a couple of test rides. Fogging for me (80 degrees with 90% humidity in Florida) has been a problem. I put some defog on lens and it helped. My question is how much will I give up if I use it without visor. I'm racing an international tri on Saturday in similar conditions. For reference- I have a pretty good position (for a 52 year old), running latex tubes/disk, speed concept 2nd gen. I will aim for a NP of about 220w or so (FTP 240)- course is flat and fast; I have averaged 23+ before on same course on 208w.

thanks for any assistance.

Steve

I don't think anyone knows how much you will be giving up, but my eyeball wind tunnel says "a decent amount". The visor basically acts as the ear flaps on the Aerohead and there is some speculation that it is the visor design as much as anything else which drives the aero advantage.

There were a couple of guys in the Tour this year who ran it w/o the visor (and Tayloe Phinney did it at Nats and the Olympics) and it really doesn't look any better than an aero road helmet.

Again, this is based on my highly unscientific and I calibrated eyeball wind tunnel. I could be very wrong.....that said, I have done a couple of rides w/o the visor and it is considerably cooler w/o it.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would i be better off with my old stand-by- my specialized evade than the visor-less aerohead?

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [shelgemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schitt....I have no idea. I would say "no" but that is a complete guess.

Have you tried baby shampoo on the visor? Wipe some on before the race, let it sit a few minutes and then wipe off with a soft cloth. Works great on goggles and I used it on my Selector when I had fogging issues. That is what I would do as a first course of action

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
jeffp wrote:

It's a very cool looking helmet

...said no one ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping they'll come out with a cut-out visor that effectively works as ear flaps, but doesn't shield your face. It would still have a "headband" so the magnets can mount.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who cares about fogging up... I'm just concerned about when I can get a chrome visor ;)
Because being seen is way more important than being able to see.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
please don't be attributing quotes to me that are not mine. I never said that, TriTamp said it. you need to learn to use the quote function or cut and paste better :)-
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
please don't be attributing quotes to me that are not mine. I never said that, but I do think Slowman is one crazy sexy hunk :)

No one is misquoting you, Jeff ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well I never typed that it was a cool looking helmet, 'til just now ;)

you outing me? not that there is anything wrong with that
Last edited by: jeffp: Aug 19, 16 6:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both a P-09 and aerohead. I think there are +s and -s to each visor. I prefer the flip-up nature of the P-09, as it's much easier to splash water on your face at aid stations and I've never had a problem with it fogging. The aerohead on the other hand is nice should you want to remove the visor completely while riding, however I've had big-time fogging issues in humid weather. Just not enough airflow. FWIW I'd bet the aerohead is far less aero with visor removed than the P-09 w/ visor.

Separately, similar to others on this thread, I've found the aerohead to be MUCH warmer than the P-09.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
I have both a P-09 and aerohead. I think there are +s and -s to each visor. I prefer the flip-up nature of the P-09, as it's much easier to splash water on your face at aid stations and I've never had a problem with it fogging. The aerohead on the other hand is nice should you want to remove the visor completely while riding, however I've had big-time fogging issues in humid weather. Just not enough airflow. FWIW I'd bet the aerohead is far less aero with visor removed than the P-09 w/ visor.

Separately, similar to others on this thread, I've found the aerohead to be MUCH warmer than the P-09.

thanks. I actually ordered the P-09 mostly because I figured for my level of performance aerohead or P-09 would both work well enough and the P-09 was over $100 cheaper on nashbar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhat of a newbie to the helmet world & Testing. No time to test unless someone can tell me where to do that in the NYC tri-state area?

here's my question -
I race with a Giro Air Attack without the lens. (have been told it tests faster that way)

i am wondering, if i tested well, how much TIME improvement would I likely see on an IM course by using either the Aerohead or the P-09? a minute? 5 minutes? more? less?

Assuming I have done all my other aero homework (Superbike, Disc wheel, 808 up front, skin suit) 150lbs, 5'8" on the edge of top 10 AG rider..

I know it's not a clear cut answer, but looking to get an "idea"

also wondering how much hotter the AH is vs the P09 per comments.. as that might really drive the decision...
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [SDinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDinhofer wrote:

i am wondering, if i tested well, how much TIME improvement would I likely see on an IM course by using either the Aerohead or the P-09? a minute? 5 minutes? more? less?

From Giro via aerogeeks: "Giro tells us the Aerohead MIPS is 42.4 seconds faster over 180km (at 250 watts) than the Giro Advantage (and 25.5 seconds faster that the Air Attack Shield)."

So there you go. Probably less than a minute.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 19, 16 9:17
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
SDinhofer wrote:

From Giro via aerogeeks: "Giro tells us the Aerohead MIPS is 42.4 seconds faster over 180km (at 250 watts) than the Giro Advantage (and 25.5 seconds faster that the Air Attack Shield)."

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
SDinhofer wrote:

Wasn't there a whole lot of discussion about the Air Attack Shield and how that time is probably off. I can't imagine the AAS (with or without the shield) is faster than the A2.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:

Wasn't there a whole lot of discussion about the Air Attack Shield and how that time is probably off. I can't imagine the AAS (with or without the shield) is faster than the A2.

Sure, and there's probably even more variation among individuals in any helmet. That's why I just said, "Probably less than a minute."
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
totally agree with thomas, the aerohead is much hotter then the louis garneau. Used it today for the first time and i was sweating much more then i use to on my head. Sweat was constantly dropping on the visor. Didn't leave any salty stripes or residu and it didn't bother me but in really hot weather for some it might be to hot.

Jeroen

Tri-Run.com

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
trail wrote:
SDinhofer wrote:

Just trying to understand the differences? I figure when I lose a kona slot by less than whatever time difference there is, I'll consider dealing with the heat issues... at some point, if it's under a minute, it has to be more me than the equipment.. if one isn't cool & comfy, they are going to lose more time being uncomfortable than is provided in the gain. On the other hand if the time difference was multiple minutes... I'd be more considering the suffering.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - fog solution [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my aerohead about 2 weeks ago and did 2 training rides with it. Serious fog issues ensued on both rides and I was concerned. I actually had to remove the visor to see adequately. I had an international tri I wanted to use the helmet but was not sure if I could race safely with visor in place. I tried cleaning and then applying anti-fog for a 3rd training ride- fog better. I then reapplied times 2 the defog and wore it for the race. In spite of high temps, high humidity, and racing with a wet head, this did the trick. NO fog and reasonably comfortable for a very hot race (Fort Desoto in St. Pete Florida). Link for antifog is below. Clean the lens well and put 3-4 drops of antifog and lightly wipe till no haze (it doesn't take much), then repeat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AJGJ3A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by: shelgemo: Aug 27, 16 13:45
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AforEffort wrote:
Read this whole damn thread and still conclusion as to whether there is a difference between the regular aerohead and the aerohead ultimate...

2 pages of talk about visor fog, and still no answer. I'm wondering what doubling the price actually gets you in terms of watts saved.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crikey it that position can you see where you are going with sticking your head up every so often?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
see my reply above- a good defog keeps things good
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AforEffort wrote:
AforEffort wrote:
Read this whole damn thread and still conclusion as to whether there is a difference between the regular aerohead and the aerohead ultimate...

2 pages of talk about visor fog, and still no answer. I'm wondering what doubling the price actually gets you in terms of watts saved.

Roughly 2W (doesn't say, but they probably tested at 400W so <1W at 300W). I'm guessing most of that goes away if you tape over the vents in the cheaper version. So what you really get is the carbon fiber bling factor.

https://sep.yimg.com/...ro-aerohead-tech.pdf

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [GiroSportDesign] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know when the case will be available for purchase? I might have missed it in the thread but I couldn't find any info on this.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Sep 8, 16 5:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next