Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was IMMT?
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about registering for 2017. What exactly happen this year? Heard there was some rain? Was it warm or cold? Also heard no wetsuits??

I saw one race report but all he talked about was getting hit with a buoy.
Quote Reply
Re: How was IMMT? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was good. Only thing that 'happened' is that we got rainy weather instead of 40C heat, which I thought was really nice for a change. I'll take rain over blistering heat any day.
There were a couple of crashes on the bike because lots of folks don't know how to ride in the rain. And the swim was a bit rough due to wind/chop o the section between the two turn buoys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
I was thinking about registering for 2017. What exactly happen this year? Heard there was some rain? Was it warm or cold? Also heard no wetsuits??

wetsuit legal for AG
choppy swim
rained (poured) for most of the bike
the high humidity kept the rain warm
bad bike crash
sun came out somewhere around 5 pm
awesome volunteers and fans for standing in the pouring rain

the weather is tricky. it alternates between cool/rainy (this year's rain was the worst) and smoking hot. next year will be smoking hot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What everyone else said, I had a blast bombing down the hills.

Volunteers, crowd support and how well the race was put together was unlike anything I've seen elsewhere. Really first class from start to finish.
Quote Reply
Re: How was IMMT? [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the race sell out this year? I'm doing my first IM in Louisville and have several friends already signed up for MT. It's a bucket list race for me and I've already booked a 2 bedroom condo minutes from transition on AirBNB but decided to be somewhat intelligent and wait until I finished my first IM before signing up for my second. I should also note that I made sure the condo had a 100% return policy if I decide to cancel... hard to argue with a two bedroom condo for $180 per night!
Quote Reply
Re: How was IMMT? [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
Did the race sell out this year? I'm doing my first IM in Louisville and have several friends already signed up for MT. It's a bucket list race for me and I've already booked a 2 bedroom condo minutes from transition on AirBNB but decided to be somewhat intelligent and wait until I finished my first IM before signing up for my second. I should also note that I made sure the condo had a 100% return policy if I decide to cancel... hard to argue with a two bedroom condo for $180 per night!

no did not sell out this year. first time in 5 years because they increased the number. last i saw there was 2800 people signed up but only 2500 raced.

where did you book?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it!

It was my first so, take my opinion with a grain of salt. The whole town gets behind it, so it made the experience incredible. I'm not sure how many other races have a full fireworks display the night before, arrange a race start flyover, and have such awesome logistics as this race. There's tons to do to keep spectators occupied both before and during the race too. I trained in a very flat region though so the elevation gain definitely took a bite out of my energy for the marathon (which was much flatter). As other people said it rained heavily, but we got the full race in, and I would prefer warm hard rain to a 95F sunny day. This time of year in Tremblant is a wildcard in any direction for weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a condo through AirBNB. It looks like transition is in a small loop to the north of Ch Duplessis. The condo is just south of that road/loop. I talked to the owner and she said it's no more than a 5 minute walk to transition. There were condos that basically overlooked transition, but they didn't offer the full refund so I decided to err on the side of caution in case I decide Ironman's are not for me after IMLOU. I've been promising my wife fun vacations since I got into triathlon and she hasn't been impressed with my choices thus far (Muncie and Louisville). She's fairly excited about this one after I told her about the area, which is good as I had promised to not do another Ironman next year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:

Best organized of the 4 IM (well, 3.5) that I have done. Highly recommended. Swim, although 'choppy' was still a lake swim at the end of the day. Bike course is well paved with some flattish sections on the highway and some hills at the end of the loop. Run course is enjoyable. A bit narrow in parts but there were some construction crews there last week and it looked like they were widening the path.

Staying in town was awesome. Went home, cleaned up and then went back to the race finish for a beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
It's a condo through AirBNB. It looks like transition is in a small loop to the north of Ch Duplessis. The condo is just south of that road/loop. I talked to the owner and she said it's no more than a 5 minute walk to transition. There were condos that basically overlooked transition, but they didn't offer the full refund so I decided to err on the side of caution in case I decide Ironman's are not for me after IMLOU. I've been promising my wife fun vacations since I got into triathlon and she hasn't been impressed with my choices thus far (Muncie and Louisville). She's fairly excited about this one after I told her about the area, which is good as I had promised to not do another Ironman next year!

If its where I think it is, you have a giant hill up to your condo from transition. Have fun with that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was my first IM and (with no other reference point except spectating IM South Africa), it was amazing!

Bit rough on the swim and a good wash down with all the rain, but the crowd support and logistics made up for it. The last half-mile on the run is spectacular, running through the village with the crowd cheering you on all the way and an amazing last 100m.

As I said, my first, but will be going back!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this was our 5th time at immt, and we have enjoyed it more and more every year. if you have any desire to to this race, sign up! it's our favorite venue of all. weather will always be unpredictable, but don't let that stop you:) the condo we have rented each year is in les manoirs, a pretty big hill, but it's no big deal. if you don't want to walk it, they have shuttles running all day. you won't be disappointed if you do it!!!!! good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend this race. It was wetsuit legal, as it has been in all the previous races. It rained something fierce. It was warm, which made the rain a little more bearable (but not much). Numerous crashes coming downhill from Duplesse. People have to slow down if the conditions dictate it (just like driving a car in crappy conditions, no different). I know I would have been riding the brakes all the way down from Duplesse b/c in the rain I don't feel 100% comfortable. I think the getting hit by a buoy may mean he swam into a buoy, not sure.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: How was IMMT? [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks for all the info. I just finished IM CDA from last week but had a great time. I just registered for IMMT! Looking for a good vrbo now :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were we at the same race? I was freezing on the bike and my friend dropped out due to hypothermia. Overall still loved the event and would love to do it again.
Quote Reply
Re: How was IMMT? [Longrunhome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longrunhome wrote:
Were we at the same race? I was freezing on the bike and my friend dropped out due to hypothermia. Overall still loved the event and would love to do it again.

I was going to say the same thing. Yeah, it wasn't a cold day, but constant, steady (and at times intense) rain on the bike with a strong headwind in back on 117 took it's toll. Trusting the forecast, I dressed light. Rain arrived much earlier than expected and by the time my bike was over my hands were numb. One had to be very attentive on the Duplessis out-and-back portion. Overall, I'd say a hard day at the office for the bike portion at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am relatively small at 145 lbs and did not get cold on the bike. I thought the temperature with the rain was great, and I had zero prior experience riding in those conditions. It's all personal I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: How was IMMT? [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
I am relatively small at 145 lbs and did not get cold on the bike. I thought the temperature with the rain was great, and I had zero prior experience riding in those conditions. It's all personal I guess.

Same here, I loved the rain, felt -way- more comfortable than last year when the humidex got close to 40C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Longrunhome wrote:

I'm surprised to hear that your friend dropped out due to hypothermia, I never felt it was cold and actually was very comfortable except when I couldn't see! I did consume an extra 300 calories on the bike despite 30 minutes less in the saddle then prior IM which suggests my body doing extra work to regulate temperature. Is your friend small or perhaps not a strong cyclist and therefore not generating enough heat for their body size to stay warm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're going to continue long course triathlon while remaining married, I'd say that getting your spouse's buy-in for race venue is very high on level of importance!
Quote Reply
Re: How was IMMT? [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
Longrunhome wrote:

I'm surprised to hear that your friend dropped out due to hypothermia, I never felt it was cold and actually was very comfortable except when I couldn't see! I did consume an extra 300 calories on the bike despite 30 minutes less in the saddle then prior IM which suggests my body doing extra work to regulate temperature. Is your friend small or perhaps not a strong cyclist and therefore not generating enough heat for their body size to stay warm?

my small female friend dropped out before the end of the first bike loop because of the cold. Personally I am well insulated (works against me during the climbs) and found the rain to be warm. if the humidity dropped like on Monday, that would have been a disaster. As someone else said, it all depends on your body composition. i think in 2014 there were lot more people dropping out because of hypothermia during the run.

last year was smoking hot and i melted. next year should be hot as well. that's how it goes at Tremblant, hot one year and cold the next

Last edited by: ptakeda: Aug 27, 16 18:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my 5th IM and I would definitely recommend this one for a first timer. The city really goes all out like nowhere else and the pedestrian village is just fun to hang out. We stayed at the Ermitage du Lac... super convenient. I got there on Thursday, parked my car in the hotel underground parking, and never needed the car again till I left to the airport on Tuesday.

I think it's hard to find anything not good or not good for a first timer doing their first IM here. The weather is always a risk anywhere you go, we had a lot of rain but it really wasn't cold. temperatures were already 68 by 6am... but then never went much above 71~72.
Quote Reply
Re: How was IMMT? [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She is small and I am not much bigger. I am under 130 and lean and have a good ten pounds on her. She is a strong cyclist and very good triathlete. I haven't talked to her to get all details but she is a very hard worker. I had a hard time eating on the bike. I was so cold that I drank less than three bottles of gatorade and I tried to eat but my bars had turned into mush in the rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sorry but the talk of hypothermia in those conditions is laughable. I am too a light athlete and to suggest those conditions would lead to that is laughable unless you were cycling backwards or sitting on the side of the road, even then I would find it hard to believe. Some people find an easy excuse if there day is not going to plan, may sound harsh but it's true.

It was 70+ damn, the rain was welcome

https://ascentsportscoaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was IMMT? [whirlpool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never came close to hypothermia myself just reporting what my friend said but goosebumps don't lie I was cold. I saw more than a few people wrapped in space blankets so I don't think I was the only one. Personally I love the heat. My muscles and joints feel great in the heat. When the temperature climbs above 80 people who would usually find the finish line before me I will beat. Maybe you welcomed the rain but not everyone did. At any rate loved IMMT and would do it again but next time I would pack a jacket.
Quote Reply

Prev Next