Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mattr wrote:
Bought a pair earlier this summer after trying them at a local 1/2. I think they help with my recovery although it's hard to tell how much. If my legs are sore after a long workout and I have time to get a session in, I do notice they feel better after using the boots.

Has anyone used the hip/lower back attachment?

Yeah, I have it. I use it occasionally, but I don't find it nearly as effective as the boots. I think the majority of people who bought it probably wouldn' end up using it.

I bought the hip attachment... never used it... and sold it.

Glad my assumption held true for at least one person. I think it has some value, but I would rather see it just target the hips,

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mattr wrote:
Bought a pair earlier this summer after trying them at a local 1/2. I think they help with my recovery although it's hard to tell how much. If my legs are sore after a long workout and I have time to get a session in, I do notice they feel better after using the boots.

Yeah, I have it. I use it occasionally, but I don't find it nearly as effective as the boots. I think the majority of people who bought it probably wouldn' end up using it.

Would it work well for hip flexors or not so much? I get a lot of hip flexor soreness.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mattr wrote:

Would it work well for hip flexors or not so much? I get a lot of hip flexor soreness.

In general it is pretty cumbersome to use. I remember when I started using it I was looking around for some basic instructions. The accessory is an after-thought in my opinion. You can't really sit down the same way you can sit on the legs. You almost have to lay flat at a tilt for one thing, and any pressure to work on the hip flexor seems likes it squeezes the kidneys and other parts way harder than feels good. I think the product would have be redesigned somehow with the hips in mind.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meathead wrote:
helo guy wrote:
I bought a Normatec for my wife for her birthday, she says it is one of the best birthday presents ever! I used HSA money to buy it, Normatec was very helpful.

Of course, I think it is a great present as well since I get to use it! :)

That's brilliant! I never would have though to do that. Now you have me thinking of other stuff for triathlon that could qualify for HSA money.

I paid for a TT bike fit with HSA money... then again it was a Physical Therapist doing the fit, so the invoice was from a sports focused PT clinic. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mattr wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mattr wrote:

In general it is pretty cumbersome to use. I remember when I started using it I was looking around for some basic instructions. The accessory is an after-thought in my opinion. You can't really sit down the same way you can sit on the legs. You almost have to lay flat at a tilt for one thing, and any pressure to work on the hip flexor seems likes it squeezes the kidneys and other parts way harder than feels good. I think the product would have be redesigned somehow with the hips in mind.

Thanks for the input. I was considering buying it. I'll pass on it now.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mattr wrote:

I really need it most in the upper hamstrings, glutes, and hip flexors. I wonder if the Air Relax system offers something similar to this: http://www.revitapump.com/...ouch_Hose_-_1HP.html

Also, could you order the half pants and hook them up to a cheaper pump?
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
mattr wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mattr wrote:

I really need it most in the upper hamstrings, glutes, and hip flexors. I wonder if the Air Relax system offers something similar to this: http://www.revitapump.com/...ouch_Hose_-_1HP.html

Also, could you order the half pants and hook them up to a cheaper pump?

This is as close as you are going to get in Air Relax system. I wonder if you could pull in down to get cover the hamstrings, glutes, and hip flexors. At $95 it isn't too bad, but IMO, these auxiliary devices are just after-thoughts. To target the glutes and hip flexors I think the system needs to be built from the ground up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does the new black version differ from the older "orange" model?
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [bumpme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have a NT Pro system and sold it and only use my Compex now. The active Recovery mode on the compex does a much better job of recovery for me than the NT system did. Plus I can take it anywhere. I've used it some many times on airplanes and in airports when traveling. No way compression boots could do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of points, in reply to various posts.

- the NormaTec is an FDA approved medical device. But the Pulse (like the MVP and Pro before it) is/was approved for OTC sale. But the "original" NormaTec system (which is still used and which still requires a prescription and which could - in theory - qualify for DME if you insurance covers it though it's not nearly as portable as the Pulse, among other limitations) http://www.normatecusa.com/ is/was not. *ALL* of these systems share the same patented Peristaltic Pulse "method" (for lack of a better term) of applying pressure to the different cells in the boots/hips/sleeves. So there's no credence to any claim that somehow these other devices are "medical" devices and the NormaTec is not. The basic story of the NormaTec is that it was founder by Dr. Laura Jacobs, who was an MD-PhD physician who specialized in rehabilitative medicine. Some of her patients were athletes. They felt the system was so good that they continued to use it even after their "traditional" rehab (think ACL surgeries and the like) were done. And that's what led to the idea of making a business targeting athletes. A huge obstacle when NormaTec first launched in ~2009 was that you still needed a prescription to get a unit. But don't believe any nonsense about the NormaTec not being "medical grade" or anything like that.

- there *IS* a difference between the various PCD systems out there. The NormaTec system is the only one (unless someone is in violation of their patent) which uses the Peristaltic Pulse, which is basically an increase-pressure/relax in a waveform in each individual cell. Virtually all of the other boots/PCDs on the market just use a progressive pressure - inflate first and to the highest pressure at the feet, then the next cell up the leg, then the next, etc. And then release the whole thing. This is a clear difference in methodology. There is research backing the NormaTec methodology done by Dr. Jacobs. And independent research since then supporting it. You can't simply equate that research to "all PCDs." The other boots are all based on 50+ (WWII-era) technology. For a quick primer - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristalsis - peristalsis is basically how your muscles function normally, so the idea behind the NormaTec is to (roughly) mimic the natural contraction/relaxation of your muscles, which has a number of benefits.

Anyway, some research:
Dr. Jacobs original research - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22292102
Study showing positive results on BLA clearance - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25756325
One of the really interesting studies showing improved recovery as measured by "pressure to pain" - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24531439

Except for the first, all are linked from NormaTec's own site here: https://www.normatecrecovery.com/...px?cookie=notice#sci

You'll note that all of these are specific to the NormaTec. You cannot equate the results here with another PCD system.

Is the NormaTec "worth it"? Up to you. I've been using it since 2009 and haven't traveled to a race without it since then. I'm typing this reply as I sit it mine pre-IMMT.

But there's no question that it is a unique system within the PCD marketplace. The cheaper options are not the same by any means.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:

No idea, but I will look into it. Been a little out of pocket as of late as I was traveling to Timberman. There now but I will circle around with the company next week post Timberman.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know of a Normatec rental place in Australia? Keen to try before I buy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your opinion what mode is most beneficial?
And is 15minutes long enough or should you use it more frequent?
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sit in the boots for hours at a time sometimes but I would say the average session is prob about 30 minites

My picks would be Pulse, Air Relax, MVP. The biggest part of that decision is portability for me. The battery option is nice. I have taken these outside and layed in the park. I supposed i could try to Jerry-rig the Air Relax to do so but haven't bothered. This weekend I traveled to a race without checking luggage. I was instructed to bring bedding and towel and i always bring my pillow with as I am a stomach sleeper and need a thin pillow. Needless to say any little space savings count and the Pulse helps to fit as well.

From a boots perspective they are all great, no real preference there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol this whole thread is just "battle of the sponsored people arguing for the particular "recovery" boot that they're sponsored by." Doubtlessly each would be arguing for the other boot if they happened to be sponsored by the other boot's distributor.

BTW did you know you can click the link in my signature to get X% off your purchase of recovery boot Y??? They really work!
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [art] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I post here perhaps once every five years. I was alerted to this thread, and wanted to share my thoughts and experiences. NormaTec has been a QT2 partner for over four years.

1) The staff people, and professionalism are top notch. They are there to help clients with any needs.

2) They stand behind the quality of their products, and constantly push the envelope to innovate. I've toured their research lab/shop.

3) We coach over 35 PROs and over 50 Kona qualifying age groupers. Almost all of the PROs use NormaTecs daily, and many of our age groupers have them as well.....I can tell you that they believe in the product.

4) For those of you that get often flushing massage, and given current NormaTec price points, you can pay for a pair of NormaTecs to replace the massage work pretty darn quick. The reality is that in a sport where lots of money can be spent to buy performance, I'd put this one toward the top of the list on bang for $$.

-Jesse

Jesse Kropelnicki
QT2 Systems
Founder & Managing Director

http://www.kropelnicki.com
http://www.qt2systems.com
http://www.triathloncalculator.com
http://www.runcalculator.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
art wrote:
lol this whole thread is just "battle of the sponsored people arguing for the particular "recovery" boot that they're sponsored by." Doubtlessly each would be arguing for the other boot if they happened to be sponsored by the other boot's distributor.

BTW did you know you can click the link in my signature to get X% off your purchase of recovery boot Y??? They really work!

Either you didn't read the thread or your reading comprehension is severely lacking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
art wrote:

Did you review my review, if I could give a Normatec code I would but I don't have one. If they want to give me one that is fine and I will be happy to distribute - at my core I am a consumerist and love helping people save money. With that being said, again both units are amazing - but I am not sponsored by either company. I am still at Timberman and again sitting in the Normatec boots as I speak, for the reasons listed. I have already had the 'attempted silencing' this year a couple of times by sponsors but more or less refuse to listen as I refuse to be a blind shill and only tell one side of a story.

The same conversations come up with me over and over again. As much as you see me on Slowtwitch I try to make myself available to as many conversations as possible in public. Just today I had two separate discussions with 1 age-grouper and 1 pro at Timberman, about what they are doing wrong with their latex setups. In both cases they are using rim tape and not STANS. Now I don't work with STANS or SILCA, but they both make good rim tape. My preference is now SILCA, but I also need to explain why you need, what you need, and how to install. To have the same conversations over again is time consuming and wasteful so when I get enough questions I generally do a write-up so I can just point them somewhere. Forewarning you, I am going to write that one up two and recommend some products. None of which I will have a relationship with.

Fwiw, my Timberman homestay would love a pair of boots. He demo'ed at the Expo and used mine tonight post-race, but the same argument has been listed all along. His wife is not going to let him pay for the cost. Which is fine, there is a great alternative. By all means, buy Normatec, spend the money, but if you can't afford it know there are cheaper alternatives. I love the boots, I wouldn't sit in them hours a day if I didn't. Again I am not sponsored by either company but I recommend both - again, I recommend both. I post regularly on here and I am going to recommend products services that I am both familiar with and a fan of, regardless of whether I am 'sponsored or not. What you want find me doing on here is just popping in every couple of years or just being one-sided. I look forward to recommending products, but if manufacturers what my buy in they aren't going to be writing me a check, they are going to make great products.

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Aug 21, 16 20:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:

Ok so I reached out to Air Relax and this is what they told me, fwiw the changes seem pretty minor to met:

"It is quite the same in terms of settings and modes. We have adjusted pressure a little.
There is a little more room in the feet area of the cuff, which will let you to pull up the cuff higher to your thighs. The hoses are hidden on the new Air Relax. In addition the direction of the hoses was changed"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bumpme wrote:
Hello folks I have a quick question - is a Normatec PCD really worth the cost or usage? Debating whether or not I should buy one for recovery, but it's a huge investment on my end.

Please share your thoughts from both a user and non-users standpoint

Cheers.

I'm sure they work, I just can't find time to seat additional 30-40min after workout and chill: wife, kid, work, .... After racing and hard workout I put those on: http://www.orthosleeve.com/...ression-leg-sleeves/ they noticeably help, and I can do all my chores in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
bumpme wrote:
Hello folks I have a quick question - is a Normatec PCD really worth the cost or usage? Debating whether or not I should buy one for recovery, but it's a huge investment on my end.

Please share your thoughts from both a user and non-users standpoint

Cheers.

Recovery boots is the number one addition to my training this year and is a big part of why for the first year in a long time I didn't have a chronic overuse injury arise. It actually lead me to being a little over trained in April and falling performance. In previous year I had always tried recovery boots at a race and the rep always set the pressure way too high for me and I felt like my eyes were bulging out of their sockets. With that being said, I am now hooked, but you don't necessary need to go with Normatec. The Air Relax system is very nice, small and portable, and effective at 1/6 the price.
Interesting and read your brief comparison page, may have to look into the Air Relax system. My reaction to the Normatec at a recent race where they demo'd them to finishers... was I wasn't recovered yet and having my legs squeezed wasn't much fun and I wasn't sure if it really made me feel any better or not. Tough to tell after only having used it once, but your endorsement has me rethinking that... I'm an aging(42) triathlete that had some leg issues last year. Rolling seemed to help there and if you put this above rolling... you have my attention. The Normatec is just to $$$ for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas, (or anyone else)

What's your impression of the effectiveness of the Normatec "Pulse Massage Pattern" versus the AirRelax modes?:

"A" mode inflates the chambers from the bottom up, one at a time. " B" mode also inflates the chambers from the bottom up, but maintains the pressure in the lowers chambers as it works its way to the top. "C" mode maintains pressure in all chambers at once, and then releases.

I've been using a system with only the "B" mode and am wondering if I'm really "missing" much from what Normatec offers.

Thanks,

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WiScott wrote:
Thomas, (or anyone else)

What's your impression of the effectiveness of the Normatec "Pulse Massage Pattern" versus the AirRelax modes?:

"A" mode inflates the chambers from the bottom up, one at a time. " B" mode also inflates the chambers from the bottom up, but maintains the pressure in the lowers chambers as it works its way to the top. "C" mode maintains pressure in all chambers at once, and then releases.

I've been using a system with only the "B" mode and am wondering if I'm really "missing" much from what Normatec offers.

Thanks,

Scott

I do not notice a difference between the modes effectiveness. For me I think the big part is just the are squeezing part of the body in a manner that both massages the tissue and heats it a bit. Could there be a difference in effectiveness, sure but I think it would take a lot to study. For me, I do the same as you, although I occasionally mix up the mode on the Air Relax just for change sake and because it is easy to do.

Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Compression wear qualifies.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, my wife as able to use flex spending to get ours...she has a vascular issue (external iliac endofibrosis) and got her surgeon to write a prerscription. We paid out of pocket and got reimburse with no issues.
Quote Reply

Prev Next