Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 15 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 15 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goal for this week is 3 swims, 3 rides, 6 runs. Also need to get back to some schoolwork in the evening, though this is the last week of camp.

I swam twice, rode once, and ran 7 times, including 2nd FOV in a 5k race (20:57). I won a $30 New Balance gift card, so I came out $5 ahead since the registration was $25. My cousin, her wife, and their 2 kids came to the race. My cousin ran the 5k and I ran the last half mile or so with her; the kids did the fun run.

Didn't get any schoolwork done, not worried about it. Now, however, camp is over and I am back to working on my dissertation. I had a productive past two days, and I've done some work today.

Goal for this week is 3 swims (1 done), 3 rides, 6 runs (1 done). Schoolwork goal is to get a conference paper submission done (this is due Thursday to my research group for a round robin review before the actual submission deadline).

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decent week last week.
Saturday I won a teeny tiny little local sprint tri, with a time that at other tris would likely have gotten me an AG 3rd. I was pretty surprised but happy. The prizes were a trucker hat, NB duffle bag, bottle of wine, and bike water bottle. It was fun, and I REALLY needed a race. It also made me realize that I'm much more trained up for distance than fast with speed.
BRING on the intervals!! Looks like I need a steady diet of those here folks. ha ha!

I got a new book over the weekend, so while it rained the rest of the day after the race, I read about half of this new book. I am enthralled so far.
https://www.amazon.com/ROAR-Fitness-Physiology-Optimum-Performance/dp/1623366860

I at least already learned one thing - I'm more 'regular' with regards to periods if I'm at "X" weight rather than below. I've never been one who has been VERY regular, but it was a decent something to learn.

I'm bummed right now about two things. My evening master's swim group seems to be dying, and I haven't been on my bike as much as I'd like this summer. The coaching has been lackluster... and even more so because the usual coach is on his yearly 2 month hiatus (in order to keep the coaches on 'seasonal' status, they have them all do a 2mo hiatus).

Goals for this week - continue with run intervals and start doing bike intervals.
Enjoy swimming outdoors until we go back in.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 15 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race determination!!

I just woke up from a much needed nap and my neighbor is mowing our lawn. I'm going to miss living here.

Our house is officially sold & conditions come off the new one today. It feels very bittersweet. We have outgrown this house, but I love my neighbors & it just won't be the same.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 15 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats determination on the race and edbikebabe on the house move! Fingers crossed your new neighbours are just as lovely.

Does streaming the olympics count as watching TV? If so, that is where most of my time seems to have disappeared to in the last 10 days.

I have been continuing on my "just exercise for fun" and "do physio most days" plan. Knee pain is better and 99% happens at night. I'm still not allowed to run though so have been looking at cycling goals rather than triathlon goals. One of the big ones Dan and I keep talking about is this Trek Travel Portland to Portland trip: http://trektravel.com/trip/cross-country-usa-bike-tour/ - expense aside, how do you even train for something like that?

In more cycling news, last week I did my first crit (!!) and also got on my TT bike for the second time ever. Thanks to the other thread and a very patient Dan, I managed not to wipe out and even got in/out of aero. Went out on the road bike yesterday evening and Dan took a picture of me - I love it, belly rolls and all. I can't seem to get the file small enough to upload so here is a link instead: http://littlecondo.tumblr.com/image/148963379721

Hope the rest of the women are well!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 15 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the pic, you look great!!!

I've been watching waaay too much TV too. Baby snuggles & Olympics & being lazy is awesome. To bad I now have a house to pack. :(

I'm feeling physically better all the time. By the time we are moved I will either be ready to make a plan, or too tired to care. :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the win!!! And what awesome prizes :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at all you womens kicking ass!

Last week's goals:
swim x 2: win
bike x 1: FAIL. Decided against it due to rain, thunderstorm risk & not wanting to get sick.
run x 4: win with 5
core/strength x 4: win

Bit of a breakthrough on Saturday - first time since Dirty Girls that I actually felt like I could really push. Put in a decent hour with some hills at Huron Natural Area and was rewarded with a double rainbow.

Got some stuff done around the house on Sunday (hooray for finally getting the new blinds up and ridding out the tupperware cupboard!), then dodged out for another 6.5km of hills on the Grand River Trail.

Tank was out hiking while I ran, and left me some trail love.

I met back up with him for the end of the run, then we walked the ~1km section of trail that we hadn't yet explored while watching a lovely sunset over the river.

Utterly failed to get a good night's sleep Sunday night (under 6hrs again), but shuffled my butt off to bed by 10:30pm last night, so a solid 7.5hrs. Can't remember the last time that happened, but hope to make it a reality every night this week. Got a 34k very technical trail race on Saturday and need all the recovery I can get.

This week's goals:
run x 3
core/strength x 1 (done)
mobility/stretch x 3

May end up taking tonight off running as well as my usual Wednesday-before-a-race since the wind is predicted to be 35kph gusting to 72kph this evening. Also cancels the idea of a swim at the outdoor pool, and the indoor pool's lane swim is too late, so I may just be a lump this evening.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Tigerchik and congratulations to determination and edbikebabe!

<quote>This week, I am aiming for daily p/rehab correctives, a swim or two, and whatever I can manage while bouncing between hotels this week and then a good weekend of swimming and biking.

Fun Fact: Thursday night/Friday morning is the peak of the Perseids meteor shower -- it should be a really good year. Go sky watch! </quote>

I was on the road for work last week but did my daily p/rehab and correctives, two bike rides, a short hike, and two ocean swims (I am still not running or lifting. Nuts to that). On Thursday, I flew back to LAX and immediately drove to the desert to see the meteor show for an exhausting but amazing overnight road trip. I don't know how mistressk uploads those great photos becuase but here's a link to a photo my training partner took: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJGQmDfAMb9[/url] Too cool, right? After a week of work travel, hanging out under the stars was definitely the highpoint of my week :)

This week I'm planning on: 3 or 4 swim (3 ocean, 1 pool), 2 or 3 bike rides, daily p/rehab correctives and maybe another attempt at yoga.

Any news from SLOgoing on her Nationals experience?

Hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WARNING - serious ranting ahead
--------------------------
Well, last week was going SO well... lots of runs, dryland, even a ride to & from work, lots of painting of the house, and then Friday's run to work, something in my right calf went OW. I walked the last 2.5k to work and hobbled around the rest of the day, put some Voltaren on it, stretched it, it seemed OK walking. Took Sat off, was very lazy with P. Set up our tv on our deck so we could watch Olympics outside. Monday (15th) was my b-day, and I had asked P a week earlier to go for a nice easy b-day ride with me on the Sunday before my b-day, I was missing riding. So he said "can one or two from my club come too?" I said ok but remember easy, I don't have the fitness he & his club mates have. This was before I hurt my calf. So he sends me a route on Strava like this:

I also see where it's going - towards Cypress Mountain to "meet up with his buddies" who were doing a hill climb race that morning (the top of the bumps above is the base of Cypress Mt. and much of that climb is double-digit grade). So I tell him "um that's NOT what I had in mind" and we had a huge argument about it. It was - in my mind - the ride HE wanted to do - not the ride I wanted to do. So I told him "just go do YOUR ride and I go do mine and we'll call it good". He somehow convinces me to do the route anyways ("you're a stronger rider than you think"), which was my fault in retrospect, because come Sunday, there's 15 people and then 10 more post hill-climb, and I'm absolutely suffering on hills up to Cypress to the point where I have to WALK up the hills just so I don't make my calf any worse. I am miserable and nearly in tears. He comes riding down beside me, "how's it going?" and I tell him I'm right pissed at him, and this was EXACTLY what I knew was going to happen - his ride that HE wanted to do which didn't take into account what I wanted to do (or was capable of doing) - and it was not fun. I didn't want my first experience riding with his group - which we wants me to join and I'd love to - to be a shitty one. And it was. And I knew it was going to happen and I let it happen. I should have just f*cked off and done my own ride. So while I'm pissed at him, then he gets pissy at me and I just tell him "listen, how about you put yourself in my place for a minute - try to see it from my point of view - maybe just admit a little that this was not a good idea and that maybe you should have thought a bit more about what I was actually asking you for - a nice b-day ride with you." He got it at that point and apologized. We kissed and made up. yaddayadayadda.

However, here I am now with my calf taped up post-physio and I don't even think I'm going to be able to run in Berlin. It wasn't the ride that did it, it was the running, and I can't blame P or his route but it's just all came together at the wrong time and now I'm feeling crappy. The only consolation is that in-lining doesn't hurt. So I may be only doing the inline marathon at this point.

OK, rant off. Thanks for letting me vent.

This week:
- nothing but walking, physio, stretching.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 15 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh that just sucks.

Hope your calf starts feeling better soon.

I think everyone has had those kind of issues with a partner. I'm glad it all got sorted in the end, but it's a bummer you didn't get the fun birthday ride you were hoping for.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 15 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. FWIW, I had my actual b-day off work (Mon) and went kayaking with my daughter K, after which we ate waffles w/banana & nutella for lunch. That almost made up for it. :-)

The calf is a total crap shoot - I bought a full compression sleeve for it and will baby the heck out of it this week. Too bad because I was really starting to feel awesome again. But if it's only the inline race, so be it.

And if it's only Berlin Octoberfest, then so be it :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Belated happy birthday!

Sorry to hear about the calf, that sucks. And the rant/ride, I think we've all done that to ourselves at one time or another - I'm glad you guys have kissed and made up though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope your calf heals quickly!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on the race
well done!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 A win is a win - congrats that's awesome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry. Injuries are so soul sucking. They really affect your whole life. But calves heal quickly. good luck

And happy birthday !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Late reply to you all due to taking kid #3 up to university. Bittersweet. He was ready to go, and it's all good, but sad because I'll miss him.

Last week went fairly well
Run x 5, bike x 3 swim x 3

tapering for marathon Aug 28th this week. So this week my goals are 5 runs, 3 swims and 2-3 bikes. But luckily this won't be a hard marathon for me, I'll be trying to pace a friend to a BQ.

Yoga is my new favorite thing - and not yoga classes because they're expensive and embarrassing for me. But there's a phone app that is called yoga studio that has really helped w my back and hip issues and I LOVE it.

Happy training to all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh gawd Andy, so sorry to hear about the giant clusterfuck there. I really hope your calf comes back and you're able to run in Germany, but even if not, I know you'll have a blast doing the inline! Will keep my fingers crossed for speedy healing.

Glad to hear you and your wee one had some fun for your actual birthday (happy belated!). I have bad luck with birthdays myself and I know how much of a kick in the gut it is when your day ends up being a misery, particularly when it's because you let someone else's desires have priority over your own. Good on you for drilling it into his skull!

Quote | Reply
Hope things go better soon! If it makes you feel better at all, I had a TERRIBLE birthday this year too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry AndyPants, get well soon and happy belated!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply