Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've kept worse, far worse. lol
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. He beats me in the water. Since he is an Ethopian, I am not taking bets on beating him in running either.
Last edited by: sinkinswimmer: Aug 14, 16 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
1:04.95

yup, i had the same thought

i've never raced 100LCM, but my per swim swam conversion calculator, my PB for 100f (SCY) of 56.95 converts to a 1:04.81. i'm not in PB shape right now, but it was less than 2 years ago.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could beat him, At his age my 100m pb was 0:59.
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Equatorial Guinea swimmer is actually on youtube - it's a fun watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woYG6Uq6OVU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Surely, somebody knows somebody related to somebody that went to Stanford, etc. who could represent Ethiopia in swimming better than this guy. IMO, That his daddy leads the Ethiopian Swimming Federation only shows corrupt, crony bureaucracy and the Olympic movement at its worst. "Lead a federation, get a free trip", regardless of your skill level (or lack, thereof).

I'd rather see a real Ethiopian take the slot who swims slower than a faster guy who mainly lives in the US or elsewhere. I assume this guy lives and swim out of Ethiopia and if this is the best they have, then its awesome. Access to pools in poor countries is not easy. One of my friends is trying to develop triathlon and specifically Ironman racing in India and his biggest challenge is not athletic talent....no one knows how to swim because they don't have pool access. It's easy to get people training for the bike on the trainer, and running is no problem, but swim is a massive challenge and only something that the affluent can access. I would imagine pool access in Ethiopia is not really that widespread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure! Just not in swimming. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
There are a bunch of 11-12 year old boys that would beat him. That time isn't even AAAA for that age group. That said, I like it. Good for him if Ethiopia didn't have anyone faster to send.

Guys like that make the Olympics cool, but on the other hand my daughter isn't much of a long course swimmer and she had been crushing those times since she was 14.
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
chriskal wrote:
There are a bunch of 11-12 year old boys that would beat him. That time isn't even AAAA for that age group. That said, I like it. Good for him if Ethiopia didn't have anyone faster to send.

Guys like that make the Olympics cool, but on the other hand my daughter isn't much of a long course swimmer and she had been crushing those times since she was 14.

There is a really good chance if your daughter was growing up in Ethiopia, she would not be breaking those times in the pool. Isn't that the entire point. The best from each country meet whatever that is, provided the sport governing body will let them in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In high school I could have easily beat him.

Now if I'm fresh and coming off a good taper he would probably beat me by a few seconds. I'm used to swimming short course and taking advantage of the speed boost I get of the walls.

FINA invited him to swim so I have no problems with him representing his country in the games. Maybe he will inspire other ethiopians to start swimming and someday they will have more competitive athletes in the games.
Quote Reply
Re: I think that I can beat this Olympian! What about you? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. The reason that they allow athletes like this Ethiopian kid, or Eric the eel, into the Olympics is to grow the sport in their home countries. Eric moussambani went on to become the head coach of the Guinean national team, it's planting a seed for future athletes.

Back in Bermuda, we always seem to get one or 2 athletes to the games under Universality. It does serve as an inspiration for the younger athletes, if they work hard they might get a chance to represent the country as well, and eventually I am positive we will get athletes to the games purely on time standards rather than just hoping for an invitation.

I have a lot of issues with how FINA and the IOC are run, but this isn't one of them.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Aug 14, 16 20:28
Quote Reply

Prev Next