Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 8 edition
Quote | Reply
I hope you had a great week with your family tigerchik!!

I'm chilling out at home with the baby and dog, watching the Olympics. My husband is back at work and we paid for daycare til the end of the month so I'm having a quiet day.

Watching all the swimming is making me jealous. I'm not ready for working out quite yet - life seems to be enough of a workout for now. I'm down 20 lbs with another 20 to go. Time to replace some fat with some muscle.

How was everyone else's week??
Last edited by: edbikebabe: Aug 8, 16 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 8 edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm tapering. I might explode. And I feel like I've gained 10 pounds. Probably, not, but feels like it.

And I'm on vacation. Currently in Fargo, ND where I put in 2,000 yards in the indoor pool (how do you all train in indoor pools!?). I'm eyeing a used TT bike at the local bike shop that is a steal.

And watching the olympics. Wow. Such amazing fitness. And they all are so young. Except Meb. I guess I'm getting older... Like Meb. Except he is smoking fast.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did have an amazing week. It was very tiring (I was working at the day camp, then hanging out with family in the evenings) but it was good. We took my brother and his friends back to the airport yesterday, so we got to spend the day in Boston.

My goal had been 2 sports a day - done all except for yesterday, which is fine. I ran 7 times for just about 60 miles, swam once, and biked 5 times (all very short but it counts!)

Goal for this week is 3 swims, 3 rides, 6 runs. Also need to get back to some schoolwork in the evening, though this is the last week of camp.

edbikebabe, having daycare for the rest of the month sounds like a good plan! How are you feeling?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
question - maybe I should make this into its own thread - does anyone follow the FODMAP diet (avoiding FODMAPs)? I am really really tired of having GI issues while running, and I recently bought a copy of Pip Taylor's book The Athlete's Fix. She has developed what she calls a "base functional diet" which includes some FODMAPs (all fruits and veggies are okay; it is basically gluten free, and grain free except for rice) and suggests that if that doesn't solve whatever your issues are, to try avoiding FODMAPS. I'm just curious about others' experiences, because the FODMAP list has a lot of foods I really love like apples and lettuce and stuff :-(

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 8 edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik, I've looked into the FODMAP business because I have GI issues even when not running, but because of my myriad allergies I can't quite bring myself to follow it. I'm already SOL for a ton of vegetables due to the nightshade allergy (no tomatoes, peppers, eggplant or potatoes) and I can't even think about giving up asparagus, mushrooms, scallions, snap peas, garlic (all of which my husband will eat so I can cook dinner with them), cauliflower, beets, avocado (which I have in a salad daily), pesto (which I make myself), apples (I split one with Tank as a snack every day when we get home from work), cherries & watermelon (which is THE BEST after a hot run). It's hard enough being gluten, dairy, & nightshade free.

I usually only have GI issues when something slips through my vigilance (cross-contamination or not adequately checking a label/asking about ingredients) or when hormones are a factor, so I'm not willing to do another complete upheaval of my - and by extension, my husband's - eating habits just for the few instances it might help me. If you're experiencing more constant issues, perhaps a trial of 2 weeks is in order? Then you could try re-introducing foods one at a time to see what causes issues - standard elimination diet protocol.

Last week's goals:

swim x 2: win
bike x 1: win
run x 4: win with 5
core/strength x 3: win

I rather overdid it a bit on Saturday. Easy ride to the market was fine, and even the 2hrs of running up the Royal Rec Trail & around the GORBA trails probably would have been ok.

Guelph Lake is pretty.

Met Tank back at the Victoria Rd trailhead at GORBA, then we hiked 45mins back to the car on the Royal Rec Trail's side trails, which are a little hilly and gnarly. I was tired by the time we got back for a picnic of cupcakes and pepperettes, then the jammed home and after a shower I got dolled up so we could walk down to our local Ribfest. We walked back after stuffing our faces with meat, then strolled around the block a bit. All told I was actively moving for 4.5hrs and my feet were swollen and sore by the end - I'd been on them almost all day, what with walking around the market and making brunch as well, plus doing some errands that had us wandering through a motorcycle dealership for another half-hour as well.

I must remember that I'm still trying to go a bit easy on myself so I can recover in time for Iroquoia Trail Test 34k...gulp...next weekend.

Ran another hour at Puslinch Tract on Sunday. Legs took awhile to loosen up but overall I felt pretty good.

(It's also known as the "Twin Ponds")

Thought I was doing ok, but yesterday evening when I took my (non-restrictive, very comfortable) shoes off after work there was still some edema in my feet. Guess I didn't go quite easy enough.

Did run an easy 8k last night and it felt ok - no residual soreness or swelling today, and that tipped me over 1,700km for the year. Just going to swim tonight anyway - it's my 13th wedding anniversary, and I feel like this one needs some celebrating as we very nearly didn't make it here. Will hit the outdoor pool just because we're under a heat warning and Tank likes to swim with me on Tuesdays anyway, then we'll hit a taqueria we both adore for some deliciousness and maybe go for a short walk after dinner.

This week's goals:
swim x 2
bike x 1
run x 4
core/strength x 4

I also need more sleep, but that's pretty much always the case.

Quote | Reply
Hey all !!!
it's been a while since I posted on this thread. I've been battling injuries for over a year. I keep making goals for the week and not being able to get them done so it's been somewhat depressing. I'm hoping that I'm slowly improving - so starting to be able to make some goals again.

My passion is running, and that's what I've been having problems with so last week only 3 runs
I did get 3 swims and 4 bikes in

Goal is Austin 70.3 end of October if I'm healthy.

Next week's goals are
4- 5 runs, even if some are very short
4 bikes
and 3 swims
a bonus would be 1-2 strength sessions
and I've added 15-30 min of beginner yoga daily that seems to be helping.

Happy training everyone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, edbikebabe. Gorgeous photos as usual, mistressk!

I'm still not running or lifting but I am super proud to report back on my first open water swim race! It was a 2.1 mile rough water ocean swim from Pier to Pier -- by far my longest, toughest swim. Conditions were choppy and the swells made sighting tough but I finished in ~80 minutes, More importantly, I can honestly say I enjoyed it. Major progress!

Quote:
August is also my 9th month of swimming. Woo. To celebrate, this week I will swim three times (1 pool, 2 ocean including a local pier-to-pier ocean race that will be quite on adventure for me!). I will also bike twice (1 trainer, 1 outside), yoga twice and do my daily p/rehab and correctives. I have two doctor's appointments this week (one today, one Friday) and I have my fingers crossed things are improving from their perspective.

Ended up swimming four times last week including the race (2 pool, 2 ocean), did 2 days of yoga, daily p/rehab and correctives, only managed one bike (trainer ride -- just spinning and talking to my coach about next steps). My doctor's appointments were okay. I'm traveling for work this week but return on Friday.

This week, I am aiming for daily p/rehab correctives, a swim or two, and whatever I can manage while bouncing between hotels this week and then a good weekend of swimming and biking.

Fun Fact: Thursday night/Friday morning is the peak of the Perseids meteor shower -- it should be a really good year. Go sky watch watch!

Hope everyone has a good week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a FODMAPer. It's been the only thing that's given me relief since contracting Giardasis in NZ in 2011. I can tolerate gluten in moderate amounts but eat none of:
- dairy (unless I'm desparate for a slice of cheese on my burger but it has to be hard/firm cheese and I still pay for it the next day)
- beans
- chickpeas
- lentils
- ALL FRUIT except banana and blueberries
- honey
- asparagus (one of the worst!)
- corn (and yes HFCS)
- green peppers
- uncooked onions (also one of the worst)
- chilis (which sucks because I love spicy food but it don't love me back)
- ginger

I did the full FODMAP protocol testing process to find this all out. It sucked. But I feel a lot better and have a lot more energy.

Back to the original thread - last week's plan:
- run 4x - DONE
- ride 1x - FAIL elected to run instead
- dryland 1x - FAIL to work on the house
- inline 1x - FAIL ditto working on the house
- finish the painting on the front of the house, skip dryland if nec (it's a 1908 heritage house so every "repair" is not straightforward - we scraped paint for 8hrs yesterday in the hot sun - yuck). - WIN almost done, significant progress, just need 1 more rollered coat and then the trim. :-)

This week's plan:
- Run 5x (LSD already done)
- Dryland 1x
- Inline 1x
- Optional ride 1x

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 8 edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi nad, I am happy to see you and sorry to hear you've been having injury issues.

AP, thanks for the FODMAP info.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 8 edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the swim race!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks tigerchik -- very slowly I'm becoming more of a fish. Gotta work on sighting though!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there! Good to hear from you again - and sorry about the injuries. :-( Hang in there. Maybe dial back the frequency? AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I missed you all.
Sorry to hear about your food issues. I have issues on the run as well.
I always have to know where the next restroom is
good luck
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 8 edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!
yeah - you're right. I keep trying to resume right where I left off. I need to learn moderation. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same challenges - I keep thinking I'm 30 again, yet I'm turning 44 on Monday so I have to just sometimes remember that I can't just roll outta bed and do 8 runs a a week without working back up to that (and honestly I don't think I would ever plan to do that again).

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so ready to be strong/fit again, but my old(er) post-baby body reminds me daily that it's too soon & it's going to take a while.

So I'm taking advantage of the a couch time to watch Olympics & live vicariously through amazing athletes doing amazing things. (And try not to eat everything in sight).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this your first? I know after I recovered from c-section etc, I had a ~2yr streak of unbelievable performance. Not quite enough to think about a second though haha.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
Is this your first? I know after I recovered from c-section etc, I had a ~2yr streak of unbelievable performance. Not quite enough to think about a second though haha.

AP

Second. My first didn't sleep for a year - I was strictly in survival mode. . Hoping for an easier go of it this time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm almost 39 weeks pregnant and waiting for this little girl to come out any day now! As hard as running has become (I am literally twice as slow as my former pace) and as big as my belly is, I know it will likely be even harder once she's out. I hope you recover quickly, edbikebabe. I'm pretty scared for what's to come.

I run about 30 mins and then do some yoga or weights most days. I also do a lot of walking. That's about all I can handle at this point. Not sure how much time I'll need to take off postpartum, but I suppose I'll be following my body's signals. This baby has been calling the shots for a while now, and I guess she will be for a while to come.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 8 edition [darkhorsepick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't be scared - it will all be fine.

Good luck with getting the little one expelled. You are doing way more than I was during pregnancy, coming back to fitness should be a lot easier for you.

I think not having expectations is the easiest, that way all progress is a positive thing.
Quote Reply