Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro Aerohead [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I previously used the A2 and have thus far only played around with the Aerohead on my trainer. After an hour on my trainer my neck felt about the same as with my old helmet. My first long race with it will be in about a month. Besides with the extra speed I will gain the additional wind force will snap my head back and hold it there with out any extra muscle tension.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [GiroSportDesign] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually having the same problem. The helmet fits perfectly but the lens left a large impression on my cheeks for hours after my first trial ride today (2 hour ride)

The thing was great except for the rubbing of the cheek problem. I don't mind having to HTFU but would prefer to not have in all aspects of my racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, just got my aerohead and was surprised by a few things...the size of the visor, the location of the flipped visor, and the weight.

the visor is huge, but fits well around the helmet and the magnets seem to be strong. the field of view was great.

flipping the visor, it lays about an inch above the magnet grooves. no grooves, it just lays on the top front of the helmet. every time i put it on, i kept thinking Magneto, for some reason.

lastly, this helmet feels sturdy. it feels heavier than my A2 or Attack...by a lot. will ride with it today, for a hard effort, and will be interested to see if i can tell a difference. i could see this helmet taking some getting used to for the longer distances.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got mine last night too and was thinking the same exact thing!! Totally heavy. So heavy to the point that I don't know if I would want to wear it for a 112 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please report back after your ride.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:

lastly, this helmet feels sturdy. it feels heavier than my A2 or Attack...by a lot. will ride with it today, for a hard effort, and will be interested to see if i can tell a difference. i could see this helmet taking some getting used to for the longer distances.

FWIW, I rode the first Verona lap of IMWI last weekend with it. Helmet is definitely heavier than any other aero lid I have worn, so wanted to see how it felt on a long ride. I had planned on doing 2 laps with it, but got tired of the feeling of being "closed in" and the extra road noise, so I switched back to regular road helmet.

That siad, I had no issues with it for 45 miles and am not worried about the road noise, etc on race day. I was riding with others on the ride and the aero lid was just kind of a nuisance in that scenario. I'm still planning some longer rides with it, but will probably do so w/o the visor.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what extra road noise? I thought it was nice in that you can actually hear what is around you.

weight.....yeah, so it's 100g heavier-ish?? more/less get a hair cut, you'll feel the same :) a box of paper clips really causes issues on your head?

I like that with a visor, I can still see when I sweat vs the blur/smudge that are my sun glasses with a reg helmet
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
what extra road noise? I thought it was nice in that you can actually hear what is around you.

Yes it quieter than a "traditional" TT lid, but still noisier than a road helmet. When riding with others, I didn't want to deal with the extra noise. YMMV.

Quote:
weight.....yeah, so it's 100g heavier-ish?? more/less get a hair cut, you'll feel the same :) a box of paper clips really causes issues on your head?

The difference between the Prevail and the Aerohead is +220g, or ~half a pound. If you think that is inconsequential, great. I'll still plan on doing some longer rides with it.

Quote:
I like that with a visor, I can still see when I sweat vs the blur/smudge that are my sun glasses with a reg helmet

Never said that I don't like the visor....but I don't like the "Closed in" feeling I get with it when riding with others. I also really don''t like wearing aero lids / visros on training rides...I think it looks stoopid. But that is my own vanity speaking, I suppose.....feel free to disagree. You won't hurt my feelings in the slightest.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wore it at the Vineman full this past weekend and it didn't bother me at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore the Aerohead for IM Canada and had no issues with it. I'm pretty sure I don't like it as much as my A2 though.

And I'm seriously questioning if it's "faster". All the photos of me wearing it, it looks like my head is tilted back slightly to see further up the road. I don't have that problem with the A2, which allows me to turtle a bit more. Put those two things together and I might have lost speed by using it.

Yeah yeah.. you never know until you test it.

FWIW... We've never been told (at least to my knowledge) who's tested this helmet. I got the feeling from talking to Jim that it was mostly the women's track team and pro team riders. All of these people are able to ride lower positions and stare at a line instead of looking up the road. That makes a massive difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ive worn mine in training twice just to see how it feels. I only wear an aero helmet when racing otherwise.

I don't think it is 220g heavier than my A2 :)

I was just commenting I liked the visor, until of course it fogs up at some point, then I will hate it :)

I don't wear an aero lid when riding with other either :)

I hope it doesn't slow me down too much Saturday at a little 19k tt. probably my lack of engine last couple years will do that on its own.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tested it at UW and did not have much measureable between relaxed and looking down a bit vs. head up, looking straight out. I did find that (just like with my old javelin) the most comfortable way to wear it is to rotate it back a bit. Sitting up, it looks like I'm staring at the bottom edge. In aero, I'm looking out right through the middle of the shield. That tested well and is how I'm keeping it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
weight.....yeah, so it's 100g heavier-ish?? more/less get a hair cut, you'll feel the same :)

I actually collected all of my hair after a haircut once and weighed it. It was 6g.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I don't have much hair either :)

you also can deduct 20-50g from that weight for the sunglasses you don't have to use, depending on if you use them currently and can now not :)
Last edited by: jeffp: Aug 4, 16 10:59
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
I tested it at UW and did not have much measureable between relaxed and looking down a bit vs. head up, looking straight out. I did find that (just like with my old javelin) the most comfortable way to wear it is to rotate it back a bit. Sitting up, it looks like I'm staring at the bottom edge. In aero, I'm looking out right through the middle of the shield. That tested well and is how I'm keeping it.

That's good to know. I'm still debating between wearing this or wearing the A2 at my next race. The visor is great but its just dark, you can't see bumps and holes in the road as well as with my Jawbreakers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
I wore the Aerohead for IM Canada and had no issues with it. I'm pretty sure I don't like it as much as my A2 though.

And I'm seriously questioning if it's "faster". All the photos of me wearing it, it looks like my head is tilted back slightly to see further up the road. I don't have that problem with the A2, which allows me to turtle a bit more. Put those two things together and I might have lost speed by using it.

FWIW... We've never been told (at least to my knowledge) who's tested this helmet. I got the feeling from talking to Jim that it was mostly the women's track team and pro team riders. All of these people are able to ride lower positions and stare at a line instead of looking up the road. That makes a massive difference.

I haven't field tested yet but I feel the exact same way regarding head tilt. I'll probably rock my Scott Split at my A race the end of August.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you tilt the helmet back, adjust straps to keep it there and a good heads down position almost has the brim of the helmet level with ground. you can look out top of eyeballs and see up the road, all the while the head is low.

not saying the helmet is faster, but I will try it in a tt saturday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
you tilt the helmet back, adjust straps to keep it there and a good heads down position almost has the brim of the helmet level with ground. you can look out top of eyeballs and see up the road, all the while the head is low.

not saying the helmet is faster, but I will try it in a tt saturday

I can't get it to stay in place like that :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you adjust the straps properly? works like a charm for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give it another shot this evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

I think it's faster, and I've been a naysayer all along. Of course I bought it, just in case the data are true. I haven't Chung'd it vis-a-vis my A2 yet either, and won't be able to until after the season, but I think a picture says a thousand words here:

I wore it for a 5 hour ride on the Tremblant bike course, got good speed for my watts, kept my head in a disciplined position the whole ride, and had no issues with the weight or visibility (even though it was raining and fogged up, I refused to pop the visor up because I didn't want to be slow). Of course my neck was screaming towards the end of the ride, but that's with any helmet.

Finally, I find the helmet hot. So hot that I wouldn't wear it if I were racing in temps >75-80 degrees in a 70.3 or longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bro.

You're not even close to riding the same position in those two shots. Your elbows are so much further forward in the first that it's allowed you to drop your head and naturally turtle even easier.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the helmet is pretty fast. On a 31-mile rolling, loop I usually do, I cut exactly 2 minutes (1:25:44) vs my previous PR (1:27:44) just a 2months earlier. The kicker is that this done on 6w AP less (198 vs 204). Wind was similar on both days (5 mph S). The difference might not just be the helmet as I also now had a wheelcover on my rear enve 8.9.

I agree on rotating the helmet back. First time I wore it was at a race and I could barely see anything. I was looking through the vents. After I rotated the helmet back, I had better vision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:

Adjusted straps, now it's tilted back properly and actually fits my head better overall. Now I'm excited to go test it. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
jeffp wrote:

Adjusted straps, now it's tilted back properly and actually fits my head better overall. Now I'm excited to go test it. Thanks!

I tested it today, during a ride that I do quite regularly. The straps were not adjusted to tilt it back, so I did have a little trouble seeing forward when I was in a low position. I was looking through the vent slits at the top of the lens. The helmet was snug and comfy, didn't really feel all that heavy, and I could feel a slight airflow coming through the vents (on top of the helmet).

The lens, while great, fogged up bad, though. I had to wipe it a few times (with my finger, which barely fit between my face and the lens) so I could see. Will baby shampoo, or anti fog solutions work? The lens does not touch my face. On the cool down portion of my ride, I put the lens on top and all of a sudden it felt like I hardly had any helmet on. Quite a different experience.

Another thing...I could tell when I broke aero b/c the air would scream around the helmet.

After I was done, I noticed that I had gone quite faster than I have for the route. I'll have to analyze later, when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I was faster at an equal or lower wattage than when I use my (training) helmet.

It was also my first ride with Giro Empire SLXs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next