Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 1 Edition
Quote | Reply
Ladies of slowtwitch, how are you?

(Tigerchik, where are you? I hope you're just off having too much fun in a beautiful place without an internet connection).

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 1 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back from 11 days of road tripping with P, kids and dog. Hot and hotter and too hot. Did I mention it was hot? :-) My planned 5mi trail race was a FAIL as my driver got us lost and we missed the pick-up & race start. I was pretty bummed about that too :-( I was looking forward to racing. Oh well. Ran 3x and they were all easy and short. I guess that's what vacation is for, right? :-)

This week's plan - kid's are at camp all week - some adult time! :-)
- run 4x
- ride 1x
- dryland 1x
- inline 1x
- finish the painting on the front of the house, skip dryland if nec (it's a 1908 heritage house so every "repair" is not straightforward - we scraped paint for 8hrs yesterday in the hot sun - yuck).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
(Tigerchik, where are you? I hope you're just off having too much fun in a beautiful place without an internet connection).

Yup, week 2 of 3 of directing a day camp, and my brother is here.

My goals were 3 swims (I swam 2x), 4 rides (done!), and to get my legs rested for a 5k race. I won in 20:37, and was very happy with that.
I took Sunday off from running so I could collect my brother, his girlfriend, and his best friend at the airport!!!! It is so fun having them here, though I wish I didn't have to work during the day. I had committed to the camp job before they made travel plans. Needless to say this is my week off from schoolwork :-)

Goals this week are two sports a day.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 1 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phew, glad to hear it Tigerchik, have a wonderful time at camp and with your brother & co.!

My healing lost some momentum last week and took 4 days of complete rest where I mostly just moped and iced. Once things started to calm down, I managed 1 ocean swim and 2 bike rides (1 trainer, 1 outside) as well as p/rehab and correctives. Alas, no yoga last week.

I am grateful for what I can do but miss strength training and running. Today is my 45th day without a run -- the longest stretch since I returned to running. On the bright side, August is also my 9th month of swimming. Woo. To celebrate, this week I will swim three times (1 pool, 2 ocean including a local pier-to-pier ocean race that will be quite on adventure for me!). I will also bike twice (1 trainer, 1 outside), yoga twice and do my daily p/rehab and correctives. I have two doctor's appointments this week (one today, one Friday) and I have my fingers crossed things are improving from their perspective.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am grateful for what I can do but miss strength training and running. Today is my 45th day without a run -- the longest stretch since I returned to running.

I am very sorry you haven't been able to run for so long. My fingers are crossed for you that you'll be back to it soon. Do you have any idea of timeline? I've forgotten exactly what your injury is.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 1 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am very sorry you haven't been able to run for so long. My fingers are crossed for you that you'll be back to it soon. Do you have any idea of timeline? I've forgotten exactly what your injury is.

Thanks tigerchik, I wish I could forget too.

Prepare for TMI and parentheticals: I think the best/simplest way to describe it is piriformis syndrome (hypertrophic muscle irritating the sciatic nerve) combined with severe inflammation in my low back (L5, L4, S1) and hips (weak from prior injuries).

One of my legs is shorter than the other (anatomically, I wore orthopedic shoes as a kid) and as a sweet bonus I'm prone to hyperlumbar lordosis. The hip and radiating sciatic pain are things I've dealt with since college where I had a labral tear, bursitis, and nerve damage.

Over the years, I've tried the following: complete rest, icing, stretching, massage, physical therapy, de-stressing breathing techniques, NSAIDs, chiropractic, orthotics, glute strengthening, core work, epsom salt baths, ice baths, therapeutic ultrasound, steroid anti-inflammatories, corticosteroid injections, muscle relaxants, iontophoresis, M.A.T., and probably other things I've forgotten. I've had a standing desk for years, do yoga and regular p/rehab and correctives for hip/glutes/core, always try to get enough recovery, and I don't heel strike (common culprits).

The only thing that truly worked was not running from 2003 - 2011, during that time I had no issues. Since returning to running, I've had this happen twice. My Dr. thinks this episode was likely triggered by my position on my tri bike. I had a professional fit and supposedly had the core strength and flexibility for the aero position but I guess the inherent weaknesses in my hips compromised the position. Blegh.

Right now, walking and standing seem to be the worst offenders with the constant dorsiflexion of driving coming in a close third. The good news is easy swimming (don't push off the wall!) and easy biking don't seem to bother me so I'm not losing ALL my fitness. Even if I miss the second half of my first season as a triathlete, I had a great time, made new friends, podiumed in five of my six races, bookmarked SlowTwitch, and learned how to swim.

So, I'll be back :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on fire lately. Ramping up, about to peak before a taper, no injuries, nailing my workouts and sneaking in some extra stretching. Bonus: eating well! Not sure what is happening these past couple of week to make the stars align, but I'm diggin' it. And I PR'd accidentally during a 10k training run. ? just a great breakthrough workout I guess.

Last week...
M: rest
T: Bike trainer 1:15 / Swim 3200m
W: Bike trainer 1:25 / Run 6miles
R: Swim 3500m
F: Swim 3000m / Run 10k
S: Bike 56 mi - best time on this hilly course averaging 17.1mph
Su: Brick Swim 4200m and Run 20k in 94 degree heat - on purpose. It was actually the sun beating down on me that sapped me. The hot air was ok when I was running through shaded areas.

And I gave the cat a bath. That was actually my biggest accomplishment of the week...

Rock on!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 1 Edition [htrout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boom, congrats on the PR!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last week's goals:
swim x 2: win
walk x 6: win
mobility/stretch x 3: win

And I did actually run once (after a full 7 days off), at the provincial park we camped at for the long weekend. We called it the "camping trip for 8 year olds" since we walked on the beach, hiked the cute little nature trail (2km), saw toads & snakes, skipped stones and waded on the beaches, swung on the swings, rode a teeter-totter, played a round of mini golf and made s'mores. There were raging thunderstorms at 4:30am and it rained on and off all Sunday morning, but we were snug and dry under a couple of tarps and sat around drinking pots of coffee and stuffing ourselves with pancakes. A few other rain showers throughout the weekend (which is the reason we took the car instead of our motorcycles - I freakin' hate riding in the rain, so we took everything we'd packed on the bikes Friday night and threw it all in the car before we left Saturday morning, plus some luxury extras like full-size pillows), but lots of sunshine and clear evenings for campfires under the stars. One of the most chill and enjoyable weekends I've had in ages!

This week's goals:
swim x 2
bike x 1
run x 4
core/strength x 3

I still get tired very easily since the 12-hour and can tell that my muscles are still recovering, so I've just been training lightly this week: couple of 5-6km runs, swam a mile, easy strength workouts in the mornings. Tonight will be my first double evening workout (run then swim), and I'm hoping to cycle to the farmers' market (it's been ages since I rode a bicycle!) and do a couple of hours of run/hike on mtb trails Saturday. I do still have a very technical 34k - it apparently takes most people as long as a 50k - on August 20th, so need to make sure I'll be in decent shape for that even though it became a "just for fun" race when I signed up for the 12-hour.

Quote | Reply
It was quite a good one. I bought myself an unusual thing. It's an Ecotestgroup personal radiation detector. Yes, it's not an ordinary purchase, but I'm satisfied
Last edited by: emilyxP: Aug 25, 16 3:11
Quote Reply