Quote | Reply
My $1,000 set up...

[URL=http://s17.photobucket.com/...D9117FCE13A.jpg.html][/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [DuGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And another black bike ... lol

Fully loaded. My first road bike the day after its first event :

I will get some better pictures sorted out soon :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [Peterszew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is freakin' awesome for $1K. I got into this kind of unexpectedly in December and planned for a one-and-done. My going in was to buy a cheap used bike to resell when I was done. But a couple months of looking here, on craigslist, and eBay got me nowhere. There were simply no viable bikes for sale used and a reasonable inexpensive value to be found during the winter. Then, I started moving up the chain as I got hooked. My all-in for this bike is a crapton more than $1K, and I have a cheap ride in the grand scheme of things in this forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
That is freakin' awesome for $1K. I got into this kind of unexpectedly in December and planned for a one-and-done. My going in was to buy a cheap used bike to resell when I was done. But a couple months of looking here, on craigslist, and eBay got me nowhere. There were simply no viable bikes for sale used and a reasonable inexpensive value to be found during the winter. Then, I started moving up the chain as I got hooked. My all-in for this bike is a crapton more than $1K, and I have a cheap ride in the grand scheme of things in this forum.

thanks! Your bike is HOT- i live on the craig's list forums and in the NYC-area it is really good...Picked up the Giant for $500 and the wheels separately for another $500...so many people in this area so it really helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [Peterszew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$1000 for THAT bike??? Wow! Great job!
Last edited by: Tri Slow Poke: Jul 29, 16 10:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Tried and true CAAD 9 roadie
Last edited by: KeepersDad: Jul 29, 16 10:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Litespeed Road bike for nice sunny days
Last edited by: KeepersDad: Jul 29, 16 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Cervelo P3... yet to be ridden in anger.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [KeepersDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2011 Trek SC 7.2 medium, I sometimes think about an upgrade but it's pretty nicely dialed as is so hard to justify the $$ required to improve on this. My estimated CdA from field testing is around 0.226 with this setup. Quark Riken, Catalyst cover, Zipp Vuka Aero bars, Ritchey -30 degree stem, Dura Ace brake levers, Tririg Omega front brake (Gen 1), Hawk BB, Conti Force front tire, Vittoria G+ Speed rear tire, latex tubes. I've fabricated custom aero bar extensions, BTA bottle holder, Garmin mount, and rear bottle mount.

Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Customs are cooler. Love it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your rocket looks great.

How do the new carbon flos brake in the dry?
How about in the wet?
Any other comments/thoughts about them?

Thanks.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicely done on your custom pieces, especially the rear holder.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there is love on here for home brewed stuff, here are my pieces (from the Exocet above).

Rear carrier :

Pit stop pocket :

One, two or three cages :

Loaded :

BTA :

Up front computer mount :

Computer / bottle steady :

All the hardware for all the above is Ti.

Best pictures of stuff fitted :

A spare tub or a bag mounts to the slots under the rear carrier.

Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nicely done. I am planning to design and 3d print something (this winter) that is a cross between your rear carrier and the canyon rear bottle holder.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I have only ridden it twice outside for a total of 40 miles, so I do not have a lot of braking experience with it yet. But, I think they breaks are excellent. In fact, I may start a thread to see if anyone has any objective, data-driven information about carbon clincher braking experience. My first ride was just a 10 mile test through neighborhood streets that was highly technical with lots of 90° turns, stops, and other obstacles. The brakes performed every bit the equal of my old aluminum rims. Then, today I had it out in a mountain loop with a number of >10% grades and some fast descents with braking along the way. Again, excellent performance. So, either Flo solved the braking, or the gap is a myth.

I have not ridden in the wet yet, but I have no expectations for braking in the wet. Even my old aluminum rims were worthless in the rain.

I should also note that my whole brake system was pretty awesome going in. Felt put total turd brakes on the IA 16, so I removed everything and replaced the levers with Shimano TT78 levers (strong pull ratio), Shimano Dura Ace cables, and Tririg Omega X brakes front and back.

Background: I was a fearless road racer and criterium racer 30 years ago, so braking was my life blood. I am way more chill today, but these brakes give nothing up to aluminum.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it! Always great to see people custom build stuff for their bikes. How did you machine the carbon?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you :-)

I sourced a company that fabricated CF panels for motorsport use. I send them my outlines (I have used AutoCAD for 23 years to do with my job) and they load them into the CNC machine. They lay up the carbon themselves. I just tell them what thickness I want (everything you see is 3mm).

Since I don't have access to machines anymore (we closed UK manufacturing) my ally bits are now made (and anodised) by a friend I met through the RetroBike forum who actually lives quite local to me. He works out of his garage and has no CNC, I have to add dimensions to the drawings I give him :-)

The stainless support bracket was water cut from a local company. Like the CF, I just give them my AutoCAD files.

All the stuff works great which is a relief when you are shelling out your own cash for what are essentially prototypes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, all good to know.
Looking for some wheels ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2 pulling double duty.
- Fizik Antares (blue/red) with seatpost in rear position for Road
- Fizik Tritone with seatpost in forward position for TT/Tri
- Powertap on DT Swiss rim for most rides (indoor and out)
- Zipp 404 Powertap for racing/some training rides

Just finished building today (still need to trim brake cable). First bike I build myself. Just had a little help removing the bottom bracket as I didn't have the tool for it. My friend is a mechanic and he hooked me up. I had pre-run the Di2 cables so once he got the bottom bracket out, we shoved the junction box and wiring in, and the put the bottom bracket back. The whole build was definitely a great learning experience. I had some good resources from which to refer to here on the forum and asked some questions as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

2016 Cervelo R3 with HED Jet 6+ wheels. Just got the wheels in today. Got the bike last week. Powertap p1's should be in on Friday. This weekend is my first chance to ride outside of a few spins around the neighborhood and some trainer time.....can't wait.
Last edited by: KG6: Aug 28, 16 6:01
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2016 Cervelo P3 DuraAce di2
Zipp Super 9 disc and 808 NSW
25mm Continental GP 2 rear, 23mm on front
Zipp Vuka Stealth
ISM Adamo saddle
PowerTap P1
TriRig Omega X front and rear
Garmin 520

Last edited by: Chri G: Aug 25, 16 11:11
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [Chri G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

2015 Cervelo P3
Shimano Dura-Ace 11-spd mechanical
Quarq Elsa GXP
ISM Adamo Race
Zipp Vuka Stealth
Magura hydraulic brakes; RT8 levers and RT6 calipers
Arundel Chrono (frame), XLab Delta 225 (BTS), Zipp Vuka BTA with Quickview and Garmin Edge 520 (BTA)
Dark Speed Works Speedpack 483D
Von Drais Race Number Plate
Flo 90 Aluminum rear with Catalyst cover, 24mm Continental Force, latex tube and Silca valve extender
Flo 60 Carbon Clincher front with 23mm Continental GP 4000s II, latex tube and Silca valve extender
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Argentina:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's mine. Bought this in 2013 as a short term bridge to get me through residency which I'll finish this year. Been a great bike but time to move on. Will be upgrading after 70.3 Augusta in September to probably an IA 10 but I'll keep the build I've got and just swap it over.

Blue Triad SL 2010
Drivetrain: SRAM Rival 1
Gearing: 52T x 11-32 for training and 11-28 for racing (10 speed)
Wheels: Dzmelyk Wheelworx out of Atlanta, carbon clinchers
Saddle: ISM PN 1.1
Power meter: Power 2 Max classic

**I don't race with the bottle cage on the down tube, just there for training :)

Last edited by: triguy86: Aug 28, 16 3:43
Quote Reply

Prev Next