Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro Aerohead [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I am slightly worried about it at Racine this weekend.

Might be able to tell us how it handles water too then. Looks like it's going to be a wet one for us

Oh, no, is it supposed to rain? geez, haven't even looked at the forecast. Maybe I should swap out the Supersonics.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could that have been the tunnel heating up? When I used to work in a wind tunnel they got hotter and hotter through out the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was actually at 5pm and it was a chilly day so the later and later it was getting colder and colder outside and the tunnel had been running all day as it was part of wind tunnel camp. I also went back to the P09 as it was the fastest so after helmet testing we went back to it. Given all that there is no way it wasn't the result of the helmet itself. The P09 is a very cool helmet on my head.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know if you hear back from Giro about this, also ordered direct from Giro and just realized I have the same problem with the lack of a US CPSC sticker.

If people can see you from the front you're not aero enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Lamchop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lamchop wrote:
Let me know if you hear back from Giro about this, also ordered direct from Giro and just realized I have the same problem with the lack of a US CPSC sticker.

LIkewise. It is on the list of things to do but it is on next week's tasks. Ironman Racine 70.3 now.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine came in yesterday. Does the plastic buckle/clasp seem small to anyone else? I feel like a slightly larger one may lead to less fumbling around trying to buckle and unbuckle quickly.....or maybe i just need to practice more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I called Giro a few days ago, and followed up again today. (800) 456-2355 (option #4)
Gave them my name, phone, and email.

They said they are aware of the CPSC issue, and they are currently looking into it and will come back with a response in a day or two.

Do you think I should even try to race with the Aerohead this Sunday?
Right now, I'm planning to bring 2 helmets into transition, and fall back to my other one if the Aerohead is rejected by an official. Can you be DQ'd after the fact if you race with it, and its later discovered to be missing the CPSC sticker? Is it even worth trying?

On another note, I plan to do some Chung VE testing loops tomorrow and see if I can get some aero data on the new helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [DCalabrese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody checked helmet stickers Sunday @ Racine. Dunno what race you are doing Sunday, but I can only think of 1 or 2 races I have done where they checked stickers and none were WTC events.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know, let me know if they come back with a response, if not I'll call them in the next couple days if I can find time.

I'm planning the same thing, to bring my old helmet as well as the Aerohead for next weekend and if they don't check (they almost never do knock on wood) just roll with it. I'm not sure if you can be DQ'd retroactively. If any USAT officials are reading this those last two sentences were a complete joke and I follow all the rules 100% of the time, now if you'll excuse you I'm gonna finish my run up Mont Ventoux.

I'd love to hear the results from your testing too once you have it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring the aerohead box. It has a CPSC graphic on it. Sure, a hardcore rule following official will say "No sticker no race!", but it might be good enough to convince a more reasonable one.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes officials check helmet stickers, aerobar ends, etc. when transition is closed. You don't get the luxury of a debate.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been communicating with Giro on this since last week - they are still trying to figure out what to do. At first they told me I should send it back and they would send me a new helmet, but that seems to be on hold now....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine was just shipped from Trisports. This is quite the fuck up on Giro's part.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like I've followed this thread since inception, so sorry if I missed this, but how does Giro claim a 15w savings over the Advantage but cite only 24 grams of drag reduction between those two helmets?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Creative accounting mate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lamchop wrote:
I'd love to hear the results from your testing too once you have it.

Did a few test runs with the Aerohead. Very comfortable. First time using a helmet with a visor, and I love it. Clarity is great. No more sunglass frames obstructing my vision.

I've only recently started attempting Aero testing using Chung VE method, so not that proficient. This morning's test gave mixed results, so I can't draw any hard conclusions. The first few tests looked promising, as CdA appeared to be lower for each successive test as I first tested a regular road helmet(baseline), then my current GRAY Aero helmet (-0.0020 CdA), and then 2 runs with the Aerohead (-0.0097 & -0.0078 CdA).

But, when I then went back to re-test the baseline, and the GRAY, they both tested significantly better than the earlier tests, even beating out the Aerohead tests.

I need to refine my testing protocol. Next time, I'll do a bunch of runs only swapping between 2 helmets, and see if I can get more consistent and discernible results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been a week now since I brought this up with Giro and they still have no solution. They say they are working on it. I am starting to worry that the problem is bigger than they just forgot to put the sticker on....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
It's been a week now since I brought this up with Giro and they still have no solution. They say they are working on it. I am starting to worry that the problem is bigger than they just forgot to put the sticker on....

I worry that they do not actually have any CPSC helmets made yet and the CE helmets shipped to no actually meet CPSC standards, so they do not even have helmets to swap out.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

I worry that they do not actually have any CPSC helmets made yet and the CE helmets shipped to no actually meet CPSC standards, so they do not even have helmets to swap out.

Well if that is the case then they are in big trouble because their website, press releases and the box the helmet shipped in all say it is CPSC certified.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere (I can't remember where for the life of me) that the CE and CPSC helmets are two different helmets and they do not meet both standards simultaneously, so if this issue is on the scale that it seems like it is, they're in for one massive logistical nightmare for what has otherwise been a wildly successful launch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lamchop wrote:
I read somewhere (I can't remember where for the life of me) that the CE and CPSC helmets are two different helmets and they do not meet both standards simultaneously, so if this issue is on the scale that it seems like it is, they're in for one massive logistical nightmare for what has otherwise been a wildly successful launch.

The box says the helmet meets both CE and CPSC standards.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
chaparral wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Well if that is the case then they are in big trouble because their website, press releases and the box the helmet shipped in all say it is CPSC certified.

Well, I am pretty sure that it is not legal to sell non-CPSC bike helmets in the US in the first place. That is why helmets like the specialized-mclaren were not sold in the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Personally, I am not to worried about it as WTC allows pro's to use any helmet that has at least one certification. What is the rule for amateurs do you know?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not as bad as you're thinking here. They are different certifications, but helmets can and often do meet both requirements (there are some helmets that will only meet one standard though). The aerohead does, it's just that some don't have the physical sticker inside the helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lamchop wrote:

That is true for some helmets, for example the S-works TT helmet, but it is not true for all helmets.
Quote Reply

Prev Next