Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giro SLX Laces
Quote | Reply
Ok got a pair of Giro SLX, fantastic shoe for first time ever my feet are not going numb and aching.
Now to my problem how do i race with these things? Who has cut out tongue and put in different laces? Were did you cut the tongue out, how far down? What kinda of laces did you use?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Not to reinvent the wheel. This was my solution. Hope it helps.

Those feel comfy? Any issues?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't recall where, but I have seen somewhere a picture of a pair of Giro Empire ACC retro-fitted with Boa Closures. That might work.

But I am guessing that it's the Boa closures and other ratchet mechanisms that make some of these shoes more aerodynamically dirty.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I can't recall where, but I have seen somewhere a picture of a pair of Giro Empire ACC retro-fitted with Boa Closures. That might work.

But I am guessing that it's the Boa closures and other ratchet mechanisms that make some of these shoes more aerodynamically dirty.

Boa will not work. You have to cut the tonque out of the shoes, that is a requirement for easy entry I have found. The Boa will cut your feet up.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boa will not work.

TG,

Scroll down a bit on this Weight Weenies forum thread:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/...ewtopic.php?t=120572

This was not the pic/pair that I had seen a year or so ago, but popped up on a google search I just ran.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jul 15, 16 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Not to reinvent the wheel. This was my solution. Hope it helps.

Those feel comfy? Any issues?

These are amazing. I have actually taken the heel tab off and the metal insert that the heel tab attaches to. The shoe is down to like 155grams and crazy comfy. With a broken foot, I can say the shoe is almost too stiff!!! I know of at least 4 other pros that have copied this setup, and at least a few other amateurs as well. I expect this setup to keep gaining steam. Another very notable pro is experimenting with the Sub6 and possibly some elastic laces as well. This was a little catch-22 for me. Part of me, wishes I kept this a secret, but that isn't like me, I like to share my passion.

Frankly, you have a shoe that is lighter, more aerodynamic, more comfy, and easier to get into and out of for T1/T2. I haven't experienced any downsides but it is going to take time and energy getting the elastic laces to the right tension for you.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Boa will not work.

TG,

Scroll down a bit on this Weight Weenies forum thread:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/...ewtopic.php?t=120572

This was not the pic/pair that I had seen a year or so ago, but popped up on a google search I just ran.

Sure boa like that will work, but I would suspect that there go your aerodynamics. The main reason I went with this shoe was that it was so much faster than my last shoe with straps. I guess we won't know without testing. But even like that the shoes won't be as easy to get into as the elastic. I had boa like that for many years on a variety of Specialized S-works, the tongue is going to want to sit flat. You may be able to slide your feet in but there are times where it is going to hurt you. The beauty of the elastic is you can just jam your foot in. The elastic will eventually find its way into the right place on your foot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thanks for the advice, I have been wearing the giro for 4 weeks now making sure I liked it before I take the next step of cutting the tongue out, for me its kinda of scary to start cutting up a 300$+ shoe!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Great thanks for the advice, I have been wearing the giro for 4 weeks now making sure I liked it before I take the next step of cutting the tongue out, for me its kinda of scary to start cutting up a 300$+ shoe!

It hurt me to do it as, but with the elastic the tongue will just bunch up and you will immediately see you need to remove it in order for the elastic to work.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ok so i did switch to fast laces, cut out the tongue, love the feel and fit. Question: how did you hide more of the laces? Mine don't look that "aero." Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks so bad.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would assume you need to cut off all the extra laces then tuck them in the shoe or under the laces.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the laces on Thomas's blog and they will lie flat on the shoe. After I laced them up and rode a couple times with them I cut the laces and only have a little knot on the outside of the 2nd lace hole. They were too snug to get on/off easily laced up to the top hole and work just fine laced up to the 2nd hole. On/off easily now.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you post a picture up close just so i make sure i got it right before i start cutting laces?

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
That looks so bad.

this is why i am working on the problem to find a solution! But i guess there are still faster then you s-works tri shoe! Boom.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have S-Works Trivents anymore

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:

Ok so i did switch to fast laces, cut out the tongue, love the feel and fit. Question: how did you hide more of the laces? Mine don't look that "aero." Thanks!

That might be fine as a training pair, but for races, yes I would ditch the extra lace. Not sure if you can see the picture at the bottom of this post. But you can see the ends are cut off and tied in a knot. The ends are also burnt with match. Over time as the laces stretch with use I end up making another knot and cutting off the first one. I do recommend the laces specifically in the post as well. They are an odd size, narrower, and go thru the eyelets and lay flat. Traditional flat elastic shoe laces are too wide and will end up bunching and will not lay flat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is your solution: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/117539

They work great right out of the box and are more aero than anything not specifically created for the track.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Here is your solution: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/117539

They work great right out of the box and are more aero than anything not specifically created for the track.

Link is broken.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
S-Works 6 road shoes. See how neat and clean:

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this would mean the s-works worked with my foot, and it did not:-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing that Thomas, I had seen your post on the matter before but it has piqued my interest once again. Do you find that you miss the heeltab to hold your shoe when putting your foot in? I always thought this was one of the "essential" parts of a tri shoe, but then again most people run in "normal" running shoes with some kind of fast laces and those generally don't have heeltabs either (the tri specific running shoes do, of course)
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That picture makes me sad for some reason. Such a beautiful shoe. It's like a nice car that has a sunroof installed with a chainsaw. But I guess, if it fits...

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet all of the "aero gains" from that shoe are lost with those laces.

Quote Reply

Prev Next