Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro Aerohead [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Humm.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya I'm pretty sure it's part of the MIPS system. To allow the inner padding to move a bit in event of crash.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
Sounds like MIPS.

Yup.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, here's my offically unoffical review after my first ride with the Aerohead.....

Overall, a very positive experience. Definitely seems to be an improvement over my Bambino, at least in terms of speed (yes, that is completely subjective...no data to back it up). A few points:
  • I did have some vision block when I was on my extensions. Was kinda surprised by this given the large visor, but I think it is because there is a large section of helmet that comes out from your forehead. I also ride pretty low, so that doesn't help.
  • A bit heavy....seemed noticeable to me. Wondering how it will feel after 112 miles.I normally don't do long rides with my race helmet, but may do some with this helmet just to get used to the weight.
  • Decent ventilation, not great. On the highly-sensitive and un-calibrated P13 PSL Scale (Perceived Sweat Level), it is better than my Selector, but worse than my Bambino. But it was fairly warm and humid today (high-80's, I think).
  • No rumble sound. The lack of ear flaps means you can hear more of what is around you without that annoying low-rumble you get from most aero lids.

Only rode for about an hour today......I'll be wearing the Aerohead on Sunday @ Racine. Supposed to be pretty warm (mid-high 80's)....we'll see how it performs then, but based on this initial ride, I am pretty excited about it.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

• I did have some vision block when I was on my extensions. Was kinda surprised by this given the large visor, but I think it is because there is a large section of helmet that comes out from your forehead. I also ride pretty low, so that doesn't help.

In the wind tunnel, I tested faster with it cocked back a bit. Instead of the nose bridge sitting ~1cm off my nose, it was better with it pulled back another 1-2 cm. That would also have the benefit of pulling that forehead bump out of the sightline. I have not ridden it out on the road, where it actually matters if you can see ahead, but in the tunnel, I did not notice any problems with reduced vision.

(of course, no guarantee that rotating it back is also better for you, just food for thought)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that the Ultimate or the Poorman's version you're talking about?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I loosened the retention device and rotated it back on my head a bit, but it always came back forward. Dunno how I will wear it on Sunday....game time decision I guess.And the vision block wasn't huge, but enough that I couldn't just rely on looking up with my eyes all the time....had to lift my head a bit as well. Again, I ride low and usually head down, so that isn't helping.

This was the MIPS version, not the Ultimate.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting...I was able to set the straps to hold it firmly in place, but I have no idea how well that would hold on the bumpy road. Bolted down onto rollers, it held just fine, haha!

Post if you figure something out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My just arrived and I will be rocking it at Racine this weekend as well. The fit is great!!!

my only complaint is the lack of bag or storage protection
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you adjust straps with it back it should mostly stay. it seems to have a bit of built in rock as part of the mips system

also, the magnets seem fragile, ie I had to reassemble one after just taking visor off anon about 5x. it feel apart into the 3 distinct pieces. hopefully it will stay together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took mine out for a 75 mile ride today. It was a little hotter than my Giro Attack Shield, however I could certainly feel air flowing through over the top of my head. Comfort and fit was about the same. Shield is much better along with the magnets being way stronger.

As for speed...well I KOM a 11:56 segment by 0:06 seconds that I've been chasing for a while. I'm going with "the helmet made the difference" to help justify the needless purchase;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any feel on how much drag difference there is between a medium and a large? On me a medium is a tad bit tight - 2 pressure spots on the back of my head that feel like no big deal, but after a few hours they might be bad... have to have the harness extended all the way to get it on my head. The large is very comfy, but looks really big on my noggin.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Do you have any feel on how much drag difference there is between a medium and a large? On me a medium is a tad bit tight - 2 pressure spots on the back of my head that feel like no big deal, but after a few hours they might be bad... have to have the harness extended all the way to get it on my head. The large is very comfy, but looks really big on my noggin.

To be honest, no idea. I was going to test a small vs a medium last week for an Olympian, but the small was just too small and unrealistic for him, so I didn't get the numbers. Chalk up another win for the Aerohead, though...it outclassed the Specialized S-Works TT helmet pretty handily for that athlete. I suspect you'll see a lot of them in Rio if federations can get their hands on them.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on getting the Aerohead on your head quickly in T1, anyone? It looks like there is not so much room to quickly squeeze your head past the visor when it's mounted, but cannot really tell without trying it in person... are you supposed to install the shield/ align the magnets after you have the helmet on your head? Or is there enough room to get it on your head with the visor already correctly in place? I have a P-09 currently and the visor is pretty easy to flip up and down. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am having no problem getting the helemt on with the visor in place. It may scrape my ear a bit going on but much better than the damage my POC does without the visor
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ols wrote:
Any thoughts on getting the Aerohead on your head quickly in T1, anyone? It looks like there is not so much room to quickly squeeze your head past the visor when it's mounted, but cannot really tell without trying it in person... are you supposed to install the shield/ align the magnets after you have the helmet on your head? Or is there enough room to get it on your head with the visor already correctly in place? I have a P-09 currently and the visor is pretty easy to flip up and down. Thanks.

I previously used the P09 before and Aerohead for the first time this weekend in a race. Updated my original post with my new findings about using it in a race. See the bottom of the page if you already read:

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...-triathlon-aero.html

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at the time savings quoted by Giro, their baseline is the Advantage. I thought that the Advantage was faster than the attack/shield by a decent margin. Is this not true? I currently race in the Advantage2, but am considering the Aerohead for my upcoming A race in August.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Looking at the time savings quoted by Giro, their baseline is the Advantage. I thought that the Advantage was faster than the attack/shield by a decent margin. Is this not true? I currently race in the Advantage2, but am considering the Aerohead for my upcoming A race in August.

Depends on the rider. To say that the Aerohead is faster for everyone is disingenuous, and to say the Attack is generally faster than the Advantage contradicts the data I've seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does it compare as far as ventilation with the P-09? Did you notice any differences?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ordered through Amazon, and just got my Aerohead MIPS delivered to NJ. Very sleek.
Noticed that there is no US CPSC sticker in the helmet.
It only has the European "CE" sticker.

Isn't this a problem for USAT races?
Was hoping to use the helmet for NJ State Olympic next weekend.

Anyone know the deal?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [DCalabrese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DCalabrese wrote:
Ordered through Amazon, and just got my Aerohead MIPS delivered to NJ. Very sleek.
Noticed that there is no US CPSC sticker in the helmet.
It only has the European "CE" sticker.

Isn't this a problem for USAT races?
Was hoping to use the helmet for NJ State Olympic next weekend.

Anyone know the deal?

I ordered direct from Giro and had the same issue. I was going to give Giro a call. It is on my list of things to do.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
How does it compare as far as ventilation with the P-09? Did you notice any differences?

To be perfectly clear, I have never used the P-09 with face mask so I can't compare that aspect. The Giro Aerohead, does not look remotely aero with the shield removed. With that being said, the Giro Aerohead is significantly hotter. I am slightly worried about it at Racine this weekend. FWIW, I set a monster PR last weekend. I am sure a big part of that was the change this year to the GIRO SLX with elastic laces, a tighter fitting skinsuit, and the Aerohead.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I use the p-09 without the face shield as well. Surprised the aerohead is significantly hotter (even the MIPS version). Was thinking about pulling the trigger but maybe I'll wait to see how people like it for races.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Yeah I use the p-09 without the face shield as well. Surprised the aerohead is significantly hotter (even the MIPS version). Was thinking about pulling the trigger but maybe I'll wait to see how people like it for races.

It is funny, but probably the most surprisingly thing about the wind tunnel was the perceived hotness of various helmets I tested. At that speed with that wind it really makes a difference. I started with a P09 and I was very comfortable, then I started testing other helmets, Kask Bambino, Catlike, POC, etc and it was amazing that I could actually feel the heat. The P09 is clearly a very well ventilated helmet for my head.

If you are on the fence, I did notice that Amazon now has a listing where they handle the logistics and is Prime eligible. You could always buy one, check it out, and see if it may or may not work for you. As I listed in my write-up, the shield detaching in my first race with it was downer. And I think it is important for everyone to take a look at the visor. The shape does have some optics tilt/shift to it from I presume the unique shape of it. I have very good eyes but it may be a problem for those with issues.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I am slightly worried about it at Racine this weekend.

Might be able to tell us how it handles water too then. Looks like it's going to be a wet one for us
Quote Reply

Prev Next