Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? July 11 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 11 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week was decent for running. Bad for biking, horrible for swimming.
I got in 36mi of the 40 mi goal. I skipped a 4mi run because I had to go into work and my family was in town.
Swimming only once for 800m because we got kicked out due to lightning (outdoor pool)
Biking only twice, on the 4th holiday and on Sat.

Have a phone interview for a job much closer to home (8 mi vs. 55). Though commute time would be only decreased by about 20 mins as I'd either bike or take the bus.
We shall see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 11 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week
swim 4x did three
ride 4x did two
day off from running (which will be today) done!

I had a good week. I am proud of how I varied my mileage M-F (0, 9, 6, 3, 12). Then on Saturday and Sunday I sort of ran longish both days (10.5, 9.5) without much purpose. I did one speed workout (Tuesday). Run total 50.4 miles, with a day off :-)

I swam twice; one with some faster than normal 100s. I had a cold at the end of the week and didn't have the energy to drive to the pool.

I got 16.25 hours of work done on my dissertation!!!

Goals this week
swim 3x (1 done)
be intentional about running (done today... speed :-)
1 day off from running
bike 3 times!
15+ hrs dissertation work

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck with your interview!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started tigerchik!

I swam four days (two ocean, two pool). I'm still laying pretty low and dealing with pain and inflammation in my hips and low back but my doctor said I could swim so swim I have! My doctor also cleared some easy p/rehab movement but biking, running, lifting, yoga, and pull-ups were all explicitly banned. Walking to and from the swim is the hardest part, actually swimming feels fine. I'm trying to view all this swimming as the silver lining of this injury -- I only learned how to swim last December and it's my weakest link and I think it's good for me to focus on it.

I'm hoping all this swimming also allows me to preserve my aerobic fitness -- does anybody have any experience with this? Or pool workouts to recommend?

I go back to the doctor this Friday and am hoping next week I can return to training. Fingers crossed?

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 hours of exercise for the week. That's the most in a very long time. I decided to ride the bike every day of the Tour de France. So far 10 days in and 10 rides. Second ice skating lesson was Saturday and I didn't have the sheer terror of last time! Things are looking up. Now if the Masters swim had better hours. I cannot make myself get in the pool at 5AM or at 6AM. Pretty ticked they moved the 8:30 AM session to noon. 8:30 was perfect. Noon is a definite no-go.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sending you good interview vibes, determination!

Sorry the news isn't better, SoCalTricurious, but I'm sure swimming will definitely help keep your motor in shape. That's not to say that running won't feel tough once you get back to it (specificity is a thing), but are you able to do any water running or kick sets to keep your legs in shape?

Last week's goals:

swim x 2: win, including an outdoor swim FINALLY
bike x 1: win - nice ride to the market
run x 5: win
core/strength x 4: win

I ended up taking Wednesday off because my right groin/adductors and left knee were both sore, and I'd only managed ~4.5hrs of sleep each night from Sun-Tues. Felt much better on Thursday and things have been clicking along ok since.

Did my last 2hr run before Dirty Girls at Puslinch Tract - just 10mins from home but I hadn't been there since May, so I had fun seeing all the new growth and even discovered a couple of places I hadn't been before. It started raining, though, and my phone (in the pocket of my hydration pack) got locked into a boot cycle after getting wet. Fortunately, a couple of hours in a bag of rice sorted it out again. Another Sunday sunset trail run along the Grand River to make 53.6km for the week - feels weird to have that qualify as "starting to taper" since that's what I've run in past years in-season over 6 days.

Have a couple photos to share, but it looks like they made a change to the post editor so I can't insert them..

This week's goals:
swim x 2
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4

Quote | Reply
Thanks mistressk. You make a good point about specificity, I haven't dusted off the old AquaJogging belt since college but I guess I probably should. I just hate it so much. I have plenty of experience with AquaJogging but I don't know what a kick set is? Forgive the swim n00b!

P.S. Good luck determination!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sick. Luckily I don't think you guys can get sick from me posting on the forum :)

Last week I aimed for physio x 7, 3 x bike, 2 x swim. Managed physio x 6, 2 x bike and 1 x swim.

This week I'm not setting myself rigid goals. Physio on Monday killed my right glute (when the physio and kinesiologist say "I think she needs to do the Bulgarians" and then laugh, get out of there pronto) and since yesterday I've been battling a sore throat, fatigue and general blahness. Of course this would happen on the week when I wanted to do the club race on the Wednesday - in my current state, pretty sure the 90 minute drive to get there would wipe me out.

Good luck to determination for her interview and SoCal for continued rehab.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 11 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have plenty of experience with AquaJogging but I don't know what a kick set is? Forgive the swim n00b!

A kick set means instead of swim intervals, you do kick intervals. For instance, you might do 6 x 50 yards kicking on 1:30 (meaning you have 90 seconds for each 50 kicking, so if you finish in 80 seconds you get 10 seconds of rest).

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 11 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the warm wishes on the interview folks!

It went REALLY well until we hit upon an area they would really like experience in but that I do not have. I felt like I faltered in how I was answering and stumbling over the answers when he asked how I'd go about getting up to speed on it - I think my answer was too generic. I'm not entirely sure I want the exact position I applied for, but they mentioned that filling this position may open up another one - which if it's on the same team, would be great!!
At the very end, the interviewer (who I know) said "talk to you soon" and I hope that was a good indicator and not just a way he ends all his phone conversations.
I already sent my hand written thank you note card - re-emphasizing a few high points from the interview and mentioning I'd be open to the other position he mentioned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fingers crossed that you have an offer :-)

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 11 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm hoping all this swimming also allows me to preserve my aerobic fitness -- does anybody have any experience with this? Or pool workouts to recommend?

I've swum my way through several stress fractures, with the result that when I could run again I had all kinds of cardio that my leg muscles couldn't keep up with.

I'm not sure what your swim experience is, so let me know if you need more detail here. These are my go-to's:

20 x 100 on an interval that gives you 5-10 sec rest
______
5-6 x 100 as fast as you can... do 50 to 100 easy between each of either very easy swimming or kicking (I often do breaststroke kick on my back)
_______
6-8 x 300 odds easy, evens fast (you could also do 200s)
______
5 x 400 descend 1-3 (that means #2 is faster than #1 and #3, 4, 5 are about the same pace, all faster than #2)
______
4 x 50
4 x 100
4 x 150
4 x 100
4 x 50

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information and suggestions, tigerchik -- that's great to hear that you kept up your cardio! I'm hoping that'll be the case for me.

My swimming experience is ... seven months! I learned to swim to do triathlon. I've been taking lessons and swimming 2 or 3 days a week since December. Previously I could get safely out of water if I had fallen off a boat but had no idea what I was doing and my face did not go in the water. In college, I did a lot of Aqua Jogging but never learned to swim [No, I don't know why I didn't learn then]. I am feeling pretty comfortable now and want to work on swimming faster and straighter with better sighting. It is probably a blessing in disguise for me to focus on swimming for a few weeks.

In the ocean, I usually swim around buoys either continuously or in a few circuits (this morning I swam 2350Y and went in and out of the water four times).
In the pool, I do some combination of intervals (yesterday I did 500 progressive warmup / 6 X 200 / 2 50M as fast as I could / 200 cool down) and continuous swimming (Friday's swim was 2000Y non-stop).
Your suggested workouts are great additions, thank you again.

My doctor said no flips turns but that's cool because I don't know how to do them :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Though I think the next step would be an in-person interview, this was just a phone interview.
So let's hope for that.
Take my commute from 55mi to 8mi by bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots going on ladies! Sorry I'm late to the party :-)

SoCalTri... you could also do weights or body-weight exercises f your ROM permits to keep your legs strong but X2+ on the aquajogging. Boring as hell but effective.

Det'm'n - super fingers crossed for you - I know how much a sucky commute can take out of you, and I'm sure being honest about the area for improvement will be seen positively - I've always found that when that question comes up, I point to my ability to learn new skills as shown by x y or z on my resume. Like "I previously learned to program in seven different languages, as noted on my resume, so while there may be some ramp-up time, I am confident that I can learn new language X." The "how to" kind of has to be generic right? It's a bit of a blind question - a bit unfair IMHO - you won't know until you start and you may have to adapt your approach. But again - fingers crossed!!!

Last week's plans:
Switching back to 4 day work weeks, so [longer days + no car] = changes to sked like: getting up earlier, going to bed earlier, running on different days, having to ride some days... etc. This proved more challenging than I expected, just the little things that can throw a routine off...
- Run 5x (1 LSD, 1 tempo, 1 mid-distance ~80-90min, 2 EZ) DONE and felt awesome! the week was as follows: 5k ez; 12k tempo; 9k ez; 21k lsd; 11k tempo for 58k.
- Ride 2x (1.5 done already - I count my to + from work rides as 1 ride, total 50k round trip) DONE and also felt great, but all the running makes me kinda miss the riding...
- Inline 1x, try for 2 (this would be goodness) DONE 1x only but OK - I am going to have to ramp this up, and I am thinking my run taper period is probably the best time to do that.
- Dryland 1x DONE

This week:
- Run 6x (3 done already) - 1 LSD, 2 tempo or hill repeats or intervals; 3 EZ aerobic
- ZERO riding - focus on run this week, will ride next week
- Inline 1x
- Dryland 1x
- SWIM 1x (yes it's true! I know I'll be taking the kids to the pool so I'm going to do laps dammit)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 11 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants, I wish I could! I'm used to 3-4 days a week of strength but that was banned for the time being too -- my guess is yoga and strength will be allowed back before running and biking and when they are I'll go back to core/single leg strength moves plus general functional strength. For now it's the pool plus some gentle corrective-style p/rehab moves (deadbugs, figure fours, tiny hurdle steps, etc..). I plan to AquaJog tonight and am crossing my fingers to get a little more freedom at my doctor's appointment tomorrow. Good work on keeping to your plan despite the changes.

Good luck Determination! Let us know how it goes.

Quote Reply