Re: Giro Aerohead [drpleiades] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still waiting for mine...but how's the fit and what's your initial impression
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loosegroove wrote:
Still waiting for mine...but how's the fit and what's your initial impression
Initial impressions are of excitement of course, overall look and feel is very nice. Feels light, I was expecting TT helmet to be a bit heavier. The magnets are strong, like they snap in and off. There are indentations for where they sit when in the normal visor position and when you flip it upside down and up it's pretty easy to get it right where it needs to be and it grabs it. Visor is very visible and in aero position the top isn't blocking any view, better than glasses as no frames on the side to interfere as well.
For fit, I am right at the top of the M size (which what I got) and it I think it fits snug. Really secure on me, my head shape is more of a round oval (based on motorbike helmets).
With the shield on my ears just touch the visor, so for me in a T1 situation I'd have the visor on the top and snap down after. When sitting on the bike my nose just touches the bridge, but this is all static so I'm sure will take time to adjust and find the right placement.
When just wearing the helmet it does seem hot, I could feel it catching heat but of course that's standing still.

That's it so far I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great first impression write up...I am looking forward to my order even more now - enjoy and race fast
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There REALLY needs to be an insistence on drag values and differences being reported in terms of CdA (and in m^2...I'm looking at YOU, A2). They can still do all of the calculations for time and power for various speeds, but at least report the most universally useful value. It's not that hard :-/

^^^^^^^

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't come anywhere near putting out 400 watts over 40k, so how do I scale this to my own FTP? Could I use the wind average drag data deltas to equate it to my typical average power output and speed?

Aero improvements will probably save you more time if you are going slower, but it won't be a huge difference. Not like the dreaded "watts saved" numbers and other measures that are commonly used.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They where available early this week.He could have plaid for 2 day shipping.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A2 does m^2 now. Well at least when we are there for AeroCamp. I asked them to add that to the spreadsheet for us. I'm not sure if everyone get's that spreadsheet, but it is available if you ask.

It gets confusing in there sometimes since we often talk to the athletes in watts since that is easily understandable. In the control room we talk to each other in CdA, except when we are looking at speed adjusted watts so we can relay that to person being tested.

rruff wrote:
There REALLY needs to be an insistence on drag values and differences being reported in terms of CdA (and in m^2...I'm looking at YOU, A2). They can still do all of the calculations for time and power for various speeds, but at least report the most universally useful value. It's not that hard :-/

^^^^^^^

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your initial impression and fit is almost exactly the same as mine. My noggin must be a little higher as the shield does not touch my nose. My three year old says it looks fast so that's worth a few extra watts, lol.
I also ordered a large, but it felt too loose. The shield also touched my cheeks in certain positions. Rather than returning it, I have it up for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.
Last edited by: BoKnowsT1D: Jul 9, 16 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loosegroove wrote:
Thanks for the great first impression write up...I am looking forward to my order even more now - enjoy and race fast

Cliff notes, of my already cliff notes review: This helmet is a buy if it fits you. It is fast. http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...-triathlon-aero.html

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It could be fast and it might not be. Hard to say without individual testing. I'll keep my S-Works TT helmet.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without testing it sure, specially if you tested a whole bunch and the specialized was the best. But in the absence of going to a tunnel it is a screaming yes IMO. I already test well with the P09 and I am going without it unless it is really hot.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of sizing, I currently race in a Giro A2 in large and my every-day helmet is a Evade in medium. I'm thinking that since I wear a large with the A2 the Aerohead would probably fit best in a large.

I do have a little room in the Evade, but not that much.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
It could be fast and it might not be. Hard to say without individual testing. I'll keep my S-Works TT helmet.

Except Jim @ ERO has said multiple times that it has tested faster for every single rider he has tested with it. Every one.

His enthusiasm for this helmet is telling....if ever there was a "sure thing" as far as helmets, this is it.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I brought mine to the UW tunnel on saturday.
We had 13 helmets on hand, but the other two people had small/medium sized heads and brought helmets accordingly. My large melon meant I didn't get to sample as many as I'd like.

The data they provided is not so friendly as cda, so numbers will have to wait. I did find the aerohead tested better for me than my old javelin (large) and kask bambino (medium). I couldn't squeeze into the Cateye, Poc, or lazer wasp.

The aerohead did NOT test better on the other riders, but perhaps if we had a medium (or even small) on hand, that may have made a difference.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Except Jim @ ERO has said multiple times that it has tested faster for every single rider he has tested with it. Every one.

His enthusiasm for this helmet is telling....if ever there was a "sure thing" as far as helmets, this is it.

No. Just no.

This helmet will be fastest for some, but not everyone. I have tested loads of helmets and the 'fastest' for me has changed 3 times do to other minor positional tweaks. I'll test the Aerohead in a few months, but I'm not holding my breath for a drop in CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quoted from post #1

Quote:
While I haven't conducted all the aero testing, I do know our results and the results of the tunnel tests, and will say the most remarkable thing about the helmet is it has tested as the fastest helmet for every athlete that I know of except one, and even for that athlete it was a wash against the LG P09. I don't know the total number of those who've tested with it, but I do know it's more than just a handful. We have never seen a helmet work so well for everyone who's tried it. It really becomes the new helmet for, if you can't test, its the safest bet.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Quoted from post #1

Quote:
While I haven't conducted all the aero testing, I do know our results and the results of the tunnel tests, and will say the most remarkable thing about the helmet is it has tested as the fastest helmet for every athlete that I know of except one, and even for that athlete it was a wash against the LG P09. I don't know the total number of those who've tested with it, but I do know it's more than just a handful. We have never seen a helmet work so well for everyone who's tried it. It really becomes the new helmet for, if you can't test, its the safest bet.

So what? There is no 'killer app' in the helmet world. I'd be interested to see how many helmets each of those riders tested, and was it against previous sponsor kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Power13 wrote:
BryanD wrote:

No. Just no.

This helmet will be fastest for some, but not everyone. I have tested loads of helmets and the 'fastest' for me has changed 3 times do to other minor positional tweaks. I'll test the Aerohead in a few months, but I'm not holding my breath for a drop in CdA.

OK, let us know what the data says in a few months.....until then, I'm gonna go with what the guy says who actually has the data.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have all the data that is relevant- mine.

Now if you want to speak as to everyone else then you should read this post again:
dfroelich wrote:
We had 13 helmets on hand, but the other two people had small/medium sized heads and brought helmets accordingly. My large melon meant I didn't get to sample as many as I'd like.

The data they provided is not so friendly as cda, so numbers will have to wait. I did find the aerohead tested better for me than my old javelin (large) and kask bambino (medium). I couldn't squeeze into the Cateye, Poc, or lazer wasp.

The aerohead did NOT test better on the other riders, but perhaps if we had a medium (or even small) on hand, that may have made a difference.

Sure, you could say that it's because the helmet was too big for those other rides, but this just illustrates another problem with absolutes. I can't fit into a medium Selector, but I can fit a medium Javelin, Cerebral, and Split. Guess which of those four is consistently slowest on me? Just because A is faster than B on subject X, does not mean it's fastest if C through Z haven't been tested. Is the Aerohead a good shout in a vacuum? Dunno, could be the next P09 or S-Works. It could also be the next Bambino...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's also the issue that it's near-impossible to make it a blind test.

Jim@ERO was giving people a special double-secret unreleased helmet to test. Sometimes that makes you feel special, and you want it to be fast, so you hold your position a little better, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep and I believe even Jim was the one that said iit is very dangerous when a rider wants something to test fast. You could make the same argument for Jim as well, it is dangerous if he wants it to test fast. As for the UW test, yes you definitely can't test a large on people that can fit into a small or medium.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:

I did find the aerohead tested better for me than my old javelin (large) and kask bambino (medium). I couldn't squeeze into the Cateye, Poc, or lazer wasp.

Also looking through all the pictures from the windtunnel test, Dan's back silhouette is very different from the other 2 riders that we tested. Therefore it might be safe to say that a "fast" helmet might give you a good drag number but it might not be your smallest drag number. POC and Lazer tested very fast for the other testers (while the aerohead did not), but unfortunately Dan could not fit into those, so we will never know and the aerohead available was way too large for one of the other testers.

I guess, if you want to know... come to the tunnel with us. We are planning another set of windtunnel-days in the fall/winter in Seattle (the rest of the summer is booked with air craft testing). Cost approx. 700$ for a minimum of 2h of testing. We only test 3 people per 9 hours (day), so we have plenty of testing time to get your curiosity satisfied. Send me a message and I will keep you in the loop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those that have received their helmets, what is the plastic lining on the inside of the helmet? It is below the padding and has tabs that attaches it. At first I thought it was just part of the packaging but after looking at it, it looks like it is suppose to be there. It seems like it would restrict air flow inside the helmet and make it hot.
Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like MIPS.
Quote Reply

Prev Next