Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which Way To Mount Silca SpeedShield Aerodynamic Extenders
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a set of Silca SpeedShield Aero Extenders, however there is no indication of which side should be pointed forward. I assume the narrower end should be pointed forward, but just want to make sure that this is correct. Planning on racing this weekend and I want my full .5watt @ 30mph. Does anyone know for sure?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Which Way To Mount Silca SpeedShield Aerodynamic Extenders [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assumed these were for tubeless setups

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Which Way To Mount Silca SpeedShield Aerodynamic Extenders [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just like an aero helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Way To Mount Silca SpeedShield Aerodynamic Extenders [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you just wasted $20 bro
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wide end first when the valve is at the top ?

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Round side should lead (reduces leading edge separation), and sharp side is the trailing edge (reduces wake size if the shape is made correctly).

Wheel rotation indicates the forward direction, and there is never actually a point where the wheel is moving "backward" relative to the ground.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Way To Mount Silca SpeedShield Aerodynamic Extenders [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So to recap...this week alone you have bought or said you will buy

1) a new Giro Aerohead (with express delivery)
2) the most expensive valve extenders on the market
3) a PowerTap hub (just because)

It's a good thing you don't drink Starbucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Way To Mount Silca SpeedShield Aerodynamic Extenders [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rounded end pointing forward when valve is at the top of the wheel.

And while our valve extenders are roughly $2-4 more than other high quality extenders, they are US made, fully thread-sealed, don't rattle, seal water tight at the valve, and speed shield saves ~0.5 watt at 30mph which is about 75-100% the savings you get from a high quality ceramic bearing upgrade..and WAY more than you get from a cheap ceramic 'upgrade'

So I would say that for a couple extra $$ they represent a pretty good value, no?

Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Which Way To Mount Silca SpeedShield Aerodynamic Extenders [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some weeks my pets have cost me more than that.

All comes down to disposable income and priorities - everyone's are different ...

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Which Way To Mount Silca SpeedShield Aerodynamic Extenders [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Josh,

What is the advantage of this over the RVC extensions I have from you already?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Which Way To Mount Silca SpeedShield Aerodynamic Extenders [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
Rounded end pointing forward when valve is at the top of the wheel.

And while our valve extenders are roughly $2-4 more than other high quality extenders, they are US made, fully thread-sealed, don't rattle, seal water tight at the valve, and speed shield saves ~0.5 watt at 30mph which is about 75-100% the savings you get from a high quality ceramic bearing upgrade..and WAY more than you get from a cheap ceramic 'upgrade'

So I would say that for a couple extra $$ they represent a pretty good value, no?

Josh

I would rather spend the $4 on a beer.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Way To Mount Silca SpeedShield Aerodynamic Extenders [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:

Right...me too. Meanwhile, the OP would rather ride his bike to Costco to get his 64 oz jars of vanilla extract--his only alcohol intake--rather than spend any money on gas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryan,
These add the aero advantage of the SpeedShield..which as pointed out already, is small, but non-zero. We haven't posted it, but they actually offer more advantage on less aero wheels which was an interesting finding..something like ~1+watt on an older 404 front wheel only. Other than that, they are about 1 gram heavier due to the speed shield + valve nut, and are of course compatible with tubeless setups. More of a chocolate vs vanilla type of difference..unless you have tubeless in which only the threaded extenders are an option.
Best
Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Which Way To Mount Silca SpeedShield Aerodynamic Extenders [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
copperman wrote:

Right...me too. Meanwhile, the OP would rather ride his bike to Costco to get his 64 oz jars of vanilla extract--his only alcohol intake--rather than spend any money on gas.

I think you forget that going fast is my job. My job doesn't pay a whole lot, but I do try to minimize expenses and maximize earnings. Equipment plays a part in that and yes, I did buy the Aerohead Mips because I believe that it will help me go faster and hopefully help grow the earnings part of the equation. And I did pay the $13 for one-day shipping so I could get it and tested it this weekend before racing with the big boys next week in Racine. If you care I did a short little blurb about it to help further explain it: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/07/giro-aerohead-mips-triathlon-aero.html

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply