Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? July 4 Edition
Quote | Reply
Happy July 4 to the US womens.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 4 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week:
at a conference today and tomorrow; run and swim both days (today done) Done!
take Wed off from running done
bike 3x rode twice, and one was on the recumbent bike reading magazines...
get bike computer on there!!! yeah, I still didn't get to that

I had a good week.
M: 8.1 mi easy run +1800 yd swim
T: 7.6 mi run w/ 1.2 mi @ 7:41, 1.8 mi @ 7:35, 2 mi @ 7:18 + 800 yd swim
W: off
T: 8.3 mi easy run + 2650 yd swim
F: 9.3 mi run w/ 2 mi + 5k @ 6:58 + 3200 yd swim
S: 9.3 mi easy run + 5 mi bike
S: 11.3 mi in 90:00 with 5 mi @ 7:30 pace + 6 mi bike

Exciting week last week watching olympic swimming trials. The conference also went really well, and I got 15 hours' worth of schoolwork done.

I took my bike out this morning and a couple miles from home, the front brake thingie came completely off the frame. I was able to put the screw back in just to keep it there, but I'll have to take it to the shop - I don't dare fix something brake related on my own.

goals for this week
swim 4x
ride 4x
day off from running (which will be today)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Independence Day to the American womens!

Last week's goals:
- run x 5: win with 6 - last long run in the bag for Dirty Girls
- swim x 2: win
- bike x 1: win! First ride since May!
- core/strength x 4: win

Canada Day landed on Friday, which is my day off training, so we walked and hiked quite a bit on a windy but lovely day.

This trail is right near home - I had actually run it on Monday evening.

Got my last long (3+hr) trail run in before starting to taper for the 12-hr, at a system of mountain bike trails in Guelph - a friend's birthday bbq was that afternoon, so I got hubby to drop me off at a trailhead that took me up to GORBA, ran up the trail and around the mtb park, then back down the trail and took another couple of urban trails that landed me at the friend's house.

I was a little concerned about this run since I'd only done a single 5.5km workout the week before and hadn't run longer than 7k since the Conquer the Canuck 50k three weeks prior, but I actually felt pretty good throughout and didn't have any problems (had enough water, no injuries, etc). Good thing since my husband dropped his phone in a cooler full of water & ice on Friday evening and its screen shorted out, so I had no emergency contact if I was in trouble.

Yesterday I got in another 15k on a trail I'd only run a tiny portion of previously - it was absolutely gorgeous, running alongside the Grand River through forest and field, and past a number of ponds with many people out fishing, walking and enjoying a lovely evening. I saw a coyote cross the trail (as well as a number of bunnies, a groundhog and a deer), so I must remember to report that to our local conservation authority as I know they're trying to track the coyote invasion of the area.

From 5.5km to 76.8km of running in a week! Everything seems to be holding together, so now it's time to start tapering a bit and resting up for the 12 hour.

This week's goals:
swim x 2
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4

Quote | Reply
I hope all the US Slowtwitchers had a Happy Independence Day, a belated Canada Day to my northern neighbos

I am fully on the Disabled List and getting a little stir crazy. I got zero exercise and didn't leave my house for most of the week. After a multiple doctor visits, I ended up getting injections, prescription anti-inflammatories, and muscle relaxants to ease the inflammation in my back and hips which will hopefully ease the pressure on my nerves. So far progress is slow but I am hoping to get a swim or some p/rehab style movement in the next few days.

On the bright side, I have some amazing friends who have been taking really great care of me while I hobble around. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 4 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope you start feeling better soon. Hurray for having a great support network.

I had hoped to swim x 3, cycle x 4 and managed two of each. Too much life going on to achieve what I wanted. Oh well. This is another week. I had physio yesterday and got given a bunch of new things to do - the aim is to work out the kinks in my running form since he thinks that is where the issue is. He also tortured me with a stick roller and this suction cup thing - the stick roller was the worst, I nearly cried. And the weather still sucks. Thunderstorms nearly every day.

Goals: cycle x 3, physio x 7 (1 done so far), swim x 2.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 4 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Scheherazade! It's a nagging issue I know well but I learn a little bit more about my body every time is happens. I'm hoping to be training soon. Good luck with your physio, I feel your pain!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 4 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you say more about the suction cup thing? I am intrigued.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 4 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sorry you are in so much pain. I hope you feel better in short order.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He basically had a small cylinder, maybe the diameter of a toonie that he could create suction with and he rubbed it along the ligament. It supposedly promotes blood flow to promote healing. It didn't hurt, just felt like an intense version of when you accidentally vacuum yourself.

I just googled it and most of the links make it sound quite out there (apparently there's a variation where they bleed you as well?!) but this is one I found: http://www.cuppingtherapy.org/pages/faqs.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And healing vibes to all the ladies who could use it right about now...

Last week's plan:
- Run 5x DONE and super happy with how they felt, had a long run on Thurs (not Fri) to work and managed to get in an even longer run on Sun.
- Inline 1x (already done) DONE
- Dryland 1x Skipped this to get in a long run on Thurs morning instead of Fri morning (legs are always too cooked the day after dryland to run long)
- Optional ride 1x. Not done but OK.

This week: Switching back to 4 day work weeks, so [longer days + no car] = changes to sked like: getting up earlier, going to bed earlier, running on different days, having to ride some days... etc.
- Run 5x (1 LSD, 1 tempo, 1 mid-distance ~80-90min, 2 EZ)
- Ride 2x (1.5 done already - I count my to + from work rides as 1 ride, total 50k round trip)
- Inline 1x, try for 2 (this would be goodness)
- Dryland 1x

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply