Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Taking calcium supplements?
Quote | Reply
Howdy - I rarely eat dairy anymore - I follow the FODMAP protocol and avoid dairy, most fruits, most pulses, some veggies, some sweeteners, etc, blah blah blah. Anywhoo, I am not getting younger and while I do a fair amount of weight-bearing activity, there is a huge history of osteoporosis in my family. Add in that I have hypothryoidism, so I cannot take in anything with calcium probably until noon daily (it interferes with the uptake of synthroid).

I'd like to start taking supplements, say at lunch time- anyone doing this now? any suggestions? things to watch for/avoid? Like: is this gonna make me constipate? Cuz I am a daily pooper, thanks. :-)

Thanks in advance,
AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Taking calcium supplements? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't take it at the same time as you either take iron (if you do) or eat iron-rich food. Calcium and iron bind.

yes, they're likely to cause constipation. you could take a fraction of one and increase the fraction as your body gets used to it. Don't take more than 500 mg at a time; for some reason your body can only absorb that much at once

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Taking calcium supplements? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. If I take it at lunch it should have the least conflict. I don't take iron supplements. I have some 333mg ones (+ 167mg of magnesium) that I'll try at this low dose for a few days, see if there are any ill effects. AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'sup AndyPants!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started thyroid medicine 2 weeks ago (this getting old thing is a PITA). Anyway, I switched my Cal/Mag to morning instead of evening and take my thyroid pill shortly before bed so they don't interfere with each other.

So far, I haven't noticed any change in bowel movements. Even with a daily multi-vitamin, fish oil, vitamin D, and Cal/Mag, I have had no problems with constipation. In fact, the opposite has been more often the case.

My rule is to always take supplements with food (outside of my thyroid medicine, which has to be taken at least an hour after eating and an hour before eating again). Mine are consumed with breakfast and dinner, but I would have no problem taking something at lunch.

Hope this helps!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take 600mg calcium citrate 2xday. I also take 4000IU of D. The two most common forms of calcium supplements are carbonate or citrate. Calcium carbonate should be taken with food to be properly absorbed. Ca citrate can be taken on an empty stomach. If you're taking a dose at lunchtime, calcium carbonate is a good choice. I often take at least one of my daily doses without food so prefer citrate. I've never had a problem with constipation but it is the most common complaint with calcium supplements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mom has been taking calcium for a while. I'll ask her about her routine.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking calcium supplements? [sneaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks you gals, this is all good stuff to know... :-) AP

------------------------
Quote Reply