Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 13 Edition
Quote | Reply
How was your week, and what's your favourite thing about summer?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 13 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good morning and thanks for getting us started tigerchik!

My favorite thing about summer is impromptu grilling and picnicking with friends -- people seem less scheduled on summer weekends which makes it easy to have a very casual time enjoying the outdoors. Living in LA, the thing I miss most about summer is a sky full of fireflies.

Last week was not great for me -- I had a really stressful week at work (layoffs! reorganization! new and currently unknown responsibilities!) and managed to hurt my hip/low back enough that I took three days completely off. A one two punch! I mentioned that I'd been feeling achy and sore, so I was being careful given my preexisting weaknesses/injuries but guess I just wasn't careful enough. Blegh. I got back to light training at the end of the week but am still a little sore. I think I'll be fine for my 70.3 this weekend but I am nervous/cautious/trying to be extra good about self care -- I'm going to get a massage and see my Dr. before I leave town.

Last week I missed my track workout and my trainer session. I did half a yoga class, swam three times (2 pool, 1 ocean), rode an easy 40 miles, and did an easy 8 mile run last night. At this point, I know a slightly longer taper isn't going to hurt me but I still wish it had gone more to plan. C'est la vie!

This week I have it pretty easy -- I fly home, have an easy 30M bike ride, a 5M fast-ish run, and a 2100Y swim as well as my regular daily corrective and p/rehab work. Friday will just be relaxing and maybe some easy yoga. I'll be checking out the course on Saturday so I'll probably swim/bike/run just to get familiar and get my legs moving. Sunday is race day!

This is first 70.3 and I have ranges of estimated finish times -- things go well, things go okay, things go to hell in handbasket. No matter my time, I am proud of myself for achieving my goal of learning to swim and feel confident about the 1.2M. I am looking forward to spending a few days at home with my family and having both my training partner and my Dad cheering me across the finish line.

I hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been on here much because I've been having kind of a difficult time lately, feeling blah, stressed, exhausted, etc. I had an appointment to check my thyroid levels last week and lo and behold, they are elevated again. I had to BEG the physician's assistant to put me on a temporary higher dose since I'm still within "normal range" and I have to go back in a month. She is convinced it is depression. I mean, maybe it is, but it isn't a coincidence that I'm tired all the time, gaining weight, having blood sugar crashes, having anxiety attacks, AND my TSH levels are elevated. Ugh!

Yesterday I spent a full day volunteering at what was my first tri 5 years ago. I was up at 4:30 a.m. and spent most of the morning on the bike course yelling at the top of my lungs "LAP TO THE RIGHT FINISH TO THE LEFT." I also passed out timing chips and help break down. It was a great time but a LONG day and I stupidly allowed myself to be sunburnt to a crisp. They were desperate for volunteers and so appreciative. It was a great feeling to give back to the sport, especially to the event that got me into the sport! The only bummer besides the sunburn was that I was too tired to do my own swim and run afterward.

Training has been going OK. I decided I want to do my usual open water mile and run-swim-run aquathon over Independence Day weekend so I am re-committing to get back in the pool. My ultimate goal is to beat my friend who also does the event every year out of the water, haha. He is a lifelong swimmer but getting up there in years, so I may catch up to him in the next few years. =) Runs have been going well and I got in a nice ride Saturday.

My favorite thing about summer is, when I'm not getting sunburned, spending the extra time outside. Barbecues with friends, swimming, taking the dogs for longer-than-average walks. I am a hippie at heart and love being out in nature and fresh air.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howdy! Had a pretty darn good week. Logged all my planned workouts and went a little longer on my ride, but it was good. I did the Wildflower loop around San Antonio (which is still closed and pretty near empty) on Saturday. Almost got a PR on the loop - missed it by < 2 minutes. I caused a stampede when I spooked a cow with my derailleur. He probably thought it was a rattle snake. Dang those cows can run fast. You won't find me running with the bulls. Otherwise, I'm being cautious because, like a true idiot, I wasn't stretching and pulled my glute a couple weeks ago. It is feeling much better, but still whispers to me. So, now I'm stretching like a good girl.

Summer. Love it. I'm a CPA so summer means no big deadlines, plenty of time to go out and play, and all the college kids are gone so my town is quiet and safe again. It also means trying to get rides in when it isn't blazing hot outside. If I stay on the coast it is nice and cool, but no hills. If I go inland it is 100 degrees but plenty of hills. Last weekend I chose inland but early morning, but it was freezing cold (like, 60 degrees... silly, I know).

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
"This week *will* be better. It has to. - IT WAS thank goodness. Felt a lot better, bought some new runners which always gets me motivated (trying Brooks Glyercines - mmmmm - love 'em so far!)
- Run 4x - DONE - I did my "long run" at lower distance/higher speed - trying to do this on my easy /4th week - ended up knocking almost a min/km off my pace [consistent for the whole run] and felt really good/strong.
- Ride 1x FAIL - I skipped due to dryland beating me up more than expected, holy cow I was stiff!
- Dryland 1x DONE - the provincial high performance coach came out an coached us for this session - my first of the season too - and it was an asskicker. My legs were just thrashed, which is why I elected to skip the ride to I'd have more rest for the Friday run... It's good to be back tho. :-)
- Inline 1x FAIL but I'm going today after work (Sat was day 1 of cycle and I was super cramped up)
- Keep ontop of possible asthma triggers - trying to document what is going on that might be contributing... " Continuing improvement - just want to keep tracking in the right direction. I have started noticing my left hand cramps up quite easily, so I'll have to bring that up with GP at next visit.

This week: 14 weeks to go.
- Run 4x with longest at 20k
- Ride 1x optional
- Dryland 1x
- Inline 1x

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 13 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MM, I hope the meds make you feel better.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 13 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck on the race SCT -- which race is it? And thank you for the kind thoughts, TC.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad.
decent workouts. I was on call over the weekend, so I ended up at work BOTH days (yuck), but glad I made the effort to do my workouts early enough before my on call duties started (it starts at 9am).
I'm ramping my running back up and definitely need to get back to speed work. Which I have plans to do next week with the local track club.

What I love about summer? Lots and lots of daylight! I love that it's light out even before my early am workouts if I'm doing one, and that it stays light out until well after 9pm. If somewhere existed like that year round, I'd move there in a heart beat.
Also, sleeping with the windows open and a cool breeze flowing in.
Being outside. I LOVE being outside.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 13 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Midtown Miles, it's the Syracuse 70.3 (I'm originally from upstate).

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck with the half SoCalTricurious! You'll do great!

Sorry you've been feeling down, Midtown Miles - I hope you find relief soon.

Last week's goals:

swim x 1: win
run x 4: win incl 50k "race"
core/strength x 2: win
mobility/stretch x 2: win

So, the race was a thing. We didn't get the thunderstorms they were predicting, even through the night before, so the course was all very dry and hard-packed instead of being muddy. I made a stupid mistake wearing an old pair of shoes with fairly dead midsoles (over 500mi on them including several ultras) because I figured the course would be soft, I didn't want to muddy up my current pair of long run shoes, and superstition about "well I've run all 3 of my previous 50k races + 3 x 6-hour ultras in these shoes, so they know how to do it!". Yeah, I'm a dumbass.

Around 600m into the course. I love this conservation area.

It was 18c/64f by 7am without a cloud in the sky, so we knew we were in for a hot one. I figured I'd just take it easy and use this as a nutrition demo day for the 12-hour next month.

Not a lot of shade despite the course mostly being tree-lined.

My whole "go out easy and then back off" strategy went directly out the window about 5mins into the damn race. I had seen in the Run Trails Ontario facebook group on Friday that someone was asking about the course, so I provided what information I could based on having run, hiked, xc skied and mtb'd at the race location in the past (and I knew they'd have to use basically all the trails, since the area isn't that big). Well, the fellow who asked spotted me before the race and thanked me for the recon, and then he ended up beside me a couple of minutes after leaving the starting line. We got chatting, which meant I sort of felt obliged to keep up - I figured I couldn't be working too terribly hard if we were able to converse easily, but I definitely ran more than I would have if we hadn't been talking. Wouldn't have been such a bad thing, except he was only doing the 3-loop 25k race and I had twice that on my plate.

A bit of shade in the pine forest.

Turns out he was very new to ultra and running a couple of more challenging races later this season, so he picked my brain quite a bit about nutrition, hydration and all things running. Poor lad actually seemed to think I had a clue of what I'm doing, though I tried to explain that I'm just a stubborn fool who's too dumb to quit.

Lots of wide-open, grassy climbs with the scent of phlox overpowering in the air.

Once my compatriot finished his race (in 3:01:xx, with which he was very happy - said he'd moved faster with me than he would have on his own!), I slowed down quite a bit and took things easier. It's a very small race so we were quite spread out on the 8.33km loop and I seldom saw more than 1 or 2 people per loop (there were a couple of places with 2-way traffic) other than at aid stations. I'd take a few minutes to eat a couple of the watermelon slices they had on offer (my fav thing after a hot run - it's pretty sweet during one, too), chat with the volunteers (some of which are ultrarunner friends of mine), and then saunter off again.

Biggest climb on the course - deceptive, since it turns a few corners. This is one of about 5 uphill sections in a row.

I managed to drop my salt tabs on the ground once, and even stubbed my toe on a root while I was walking (FFS!), but didn't trip, have any GI issues, or even get grouchy, really. I took the camera from my husband/sherpa when I went out for my 5th loop (what I call the "tourist lap"), hence the photos from the course...but the battery died just past 5k in, and I only managed to get that one pic above of the big hill after that so spent 3+km carrying dead weight. The battery is good for several days of photography, but my sherpa apparently failed to charge it before the race - he felt awful about it when I told him it had kaffed on me.

He did, however, use it to get the MOST photogenic pic of me running ever, just as I left the starting line.

(Yeah, that's as good as it gets)

So, ditch the camera, have a couple of bites of a turkey-and-mustard wrap (heaven!), then out for the last lap...where I blew a freakin' intersection, despite them all being incredibly well marked, and only figured it out after I'd run down this huge bloody hill.

Call it about a 500m detour, during which 3 people managed to pass me. I passed 2 of them back, but still cost myself at least 6 or 7 minutes.

Finally crossed the line (for the last time) in 6:38:41 - almost an hour over my 50k PR time on a similar course, but on a much cooler day and fully tapered. My legs and feet were very sore - had that one-solid-lump sort of feel to them - but I was still running on that last loop, even on some of the very mild uphills. It made for a good training day for the 12hr next month, and I don't really have any complaints except taking that wrong turn.

Recovery is going quite well. I got out for a 4k hike on some technical, hilly trail on Sunday, and just went for an easy walk last night. Legs are feeling ok but I get tired easily, so I'll do a short run this evening followed by a very easy swim. Tomorrow will be a day off because we're going out to dinner for my mum's birthday, and then Saturday we leave to go motorcycle touring through Quebec. I'll be bringing running kit, but I probably won't run more than an hour on any day - just want to investigate some of the trails in the parks where we'll be camping. Really stoked about doing a via ferrata route next Tuesday, though!

This week's goals:
swim x 2
run x 2
core/strength x 2
mobility/stretch x 2

My favourite things about summer are the warm nights with the scent of flowers permeating the air: you can live in flip-flops and forget what a jacket is, just for a little while..

Quote | Reply
I had a good last week. I am proud of myself for balancing short and easy runs with speedwork (one of my goals). I swam 4x (goal had been 3). I biked twice (goal had been 3). I did 12.25 hours of dissertation work, plus I was at a conference for one day. My goal had been 15 hours, so a B on that... I did take a day off from running. :-)

The best part of the week was a tie between hiking in Acadia National Park with a friend, or mile repeats on the track with the same friend.

The worst part was about three days of irritability from PMS. Grrrr. I just couldn't make it go away!

Goals this week:
15 hrs of dissertation work (did 3 yesterday)
run faster than last year at a 5k this Saturday
bike 4x (2 done)
swim 2-3x
install speedometer on bike!

Edit - forgot to answer own question. My favourite part of summer is swimming in the ocean, working at summer camp - particularly lifeguarding in the afternoon on hot days - and those popsicles that come in little plastic tubes (freezer pops or Otter Pops or PopIce or whatever). I LOVE THOSE POPSICLES and in fact eat them year round...

Last edited by: tigerchik: Jun 14, 16 9:01
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 13 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your pics are the best!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 13 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man I know what you mean about "these shoes will be fine..." - I *just* threw out my runners that I trained for and ran in at Comrades - and that was 3 years ago last week! And I wondered why my feet were feeling "stiff" after runs... DUNH!

Great pics, and good job on sticking it out. Enjoy your trip thru Quebec, I'm only just a little jealous :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wrote a reply on Monday and then it got chewed up.

I've been meaning to ask EDBIKEBABE: how's the house listing process going?

My favourite things about summer: prosecco, gin & tonic and rose wine. Can anyone tell I'm not drinking at the moment?! In all seriousness I tend to find summer too hot, too buggy and there's too much cheeping from the birds far too early in the morning and far too late at night.

Last week's goals:
Swim x 2, (YAY, I did it) run x 3 (going back to a 2/1 ratio and seeing if that keeps the pain at bay) (BOO, no running at all) and bike x 3 (FTP test, Lake Louise -> Bow Summit and back, and Sunday club ride). (YAY for three rides, BOO for the outdoor rides being modified, YAY for FTP going up 30 watts)

This week's goals:
- swim x 3, run x 3, bike x 3. I have done one of each so far but I'm not really counting the swim since I went to the pool, did the warm up and bailed so I was 1750m short.
- survive kindergarten tours of the fire hall - for the first time ever I'm running three kindergarten classes (one a day thankfully) through a little fire education program. Yesterday was day 1 and I survived and they survived and the teacher didn't tell me off, so I think I did okay.
- be prepared for houseguests who arrive Saturday and stay for 4 nights. Basement has been cleaned in preparation, have arranged to borrow a crib/toys/general toddler stuff from a friend, have a vague idea of what I'm cooking.

I need some advice from the womens: my 70.3 is on July 24th. At this point in time I know I'm not going to be able to run the run portion but that's okay since I was planning to run-walk it. What with the knee setback over the last 10-14 days I'm worried I wouldn't even be able to run-walk it or if I did I'd land up a bit broken. I've seen other people get their entry deferred when they've been injured so I guess I have two options: 1) try and defer entry OR 2) just do the swim and the bike and hand in my chip so that I can hang around the finish line and ask Dan what took him so long.

What do I do? I'm torn.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 13 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for asking!! House is listed - we've had tons of showings but no offers. Putting an offer in on a place today anyways. Not really excited, mostly because it's far from a done deal (ours needs to sell so we can buy) - but it's something. My son is thoroughly done with looking at houses & getting kicked out of our house. I can't blame him.

As for the tri - are you desperate to do the whole thing? Then I'd try and defer. Are you excited to see your swim/bike times & feel like you got to participate? Both seem like totally reasonable options.

Summer - I love the long days, wearing flip flops, hanging out in the back yard eating popsicles, BBQ-ing, potato salad & drinking (I really miss having a cold beer). I like how everything is just easier in the summer - less clothes, less prep to go out. I'm NOT loving that the mosquitoes are back in full force, but the rain has been nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like the first thing to do would be find out if you can indeed defer the entry. You said you've seen others do it - was it for this specific race?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, for this race. I think I will try that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my goodness, now I know why sometimes Dan calls me Mavis (from Open All Hours). I changed my mind, AGAIN. Spoke to Dan about it and he won't be able to defer his race so decided to just go and do the swim & bike and cheer people in. I briefly considered power-walking the run portion but I think I'd rather take the DNF than struggle through to be the last person across the line.

Feeling happier now that I've made a decision - missed the run I had scheduled yesterday because our yard needed tackling and my knee was unhappy about all the 180s with the lawnmower. We bought the house in November and took possession in January so that first thaw 3 years ago was quite a revelation. I keep saying I'm going to landscape but am stumped as to what I actually want to do with the area. I'm half tempted just to cover it in asphalt.

Any ladies here have experience of creating low maintenance yards?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have experience in creating a low maintenance yard! Though, I had a friend who is an avid gardener help me. I looked for plants that are drought resistant and perennials.
But, seriously, she did most of the work in an exchange of labor. I labored for her and she did for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent most of this week commuting to work on my bike, including a visit to my doctor, who is thankfully nearby. My undercarriage needs to toughen up to the reality of daily riding and I hope that my investment in a better bike lock works out well for me...

Riding a bike long before the sun comes up past a hotel / casino can bring a special set of survival skills (don't trust a car EVER to have seen you). Otherwise, all is good!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggest bike volume in a very long time (over a year).

Did a short track bike race. Something new and I was nervous! But, got through it and will try it again next month. Full report here: http://ironclm.typepad.com/...-track-06-09-16.html

No work overtime all week!

No swim in a few weeks. :-(
They changed the schedule and I just can't seem to get to the early morning sessions. I was going at 8:30 AM which was great. The times change in the summer (tied to the school year and the elite's schedule). Last summer our 8:30 AM session was moved to 9:30 AM. Perfect! I would go to work a bit, then go swim, then back to work. This year, no 9:30 AM session. Instead, noon, which is about the worst time in the world for me. So I will need to figure out what I'm going to do about that.

Great report from the PT.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply