Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trihard1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ditched the flexible top part of the Calpac. I put my spare tube in the bottom and put a Dark Speed Works bento on top of it. This is the original with the Velcro straps. I had to cut two slots for the towers of the Calpac but for now this is working out fine.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see a picture of the Dark Speed and mods to the CP to see how you mounted it. I lost a couple of gel packs and my salt tabs going over a bump on a decent the other day. I definitely want to find an alternative!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [sky88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's nothing fancy but for now it works. I didn't want to alter the CP in case Felt would offer a new cover and I already had the DSW bento. I only put the spare tube in the bottom but there is more room. I didn't want something in there that would rattle or wear into the unprotected tube. There is plenty of room in the bento.

Pic of bike:

Cropped to show bento:

It's working for me until something better comes .

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My IM is coming up in 3 weeks and I haven't found the opportunity to fabricate something good to replace the Calpac. I've been using it for holding gels in training. It'll hold 6 High5 gels at a push and because the sachets are long and narrow they're easy to retrieve. I have my Calpac taped in place with black electrical tape to keep it secure.

For training I've had my spare tube, multi-tool and inflator in a bottle mounted on the rear of seat tube bottle mount. I've got a small pump mounted there too. I'd prefer not to fit a saddle bag since I've got a bottle cage zip-tied there.
I'm struggling a bit to find a good way to store everything I want to carry for the race.
I have a profile bento bag that I could perhaps press into service as a new cover for the Calpac (option 1 below). I think someone here suggested this a while back but it won't give enough extra capacity for everything.
The ideas I'm currently working with are the following or some combination of these:

1. Cut out most of the bottom of the bento bag. Then remove the Calpac tray and sit it through the hole in the bag and re-install it so the bag is clamped between the tray and the frame. Gives you a more secure, slightly bigger volume with easier access via a top zip.
  2. Cable tie a container for gels onto the bridge on my extension risers. This would sit behind my BTA (Profile Design FC-25) and I could then use the Calpac for just the tube, multi-tool and inflator. If I can figure out a suitable container this might be a very practical option, but perhaps not very pretty!
  3. Cable tie a gel reservoir to the extensions or onto the bridge behind the BTA. This would be a bladder or bottle with a way to meter usage, for example a rubber bulb that pumps a known quantity per squeeze. Seems a little over the top though.
  4. Make a simple T shaped frame to bolt onto the bottle mount behind the seat tube. use velcro straps to attach the tube, multi-tool and inflator to this frame and fabricate a very simple fairing (much easier than a proper Calpac conversion).
  5. Fit one of these behind the saddle to hold the spare tube, multi-tool, inflator and a single water bottle.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
I have a BTA in place and also want to carry the following, preferably without anything taped to the top tube:

• One water bottle
  • lots of gels (15-18 if possible - I don't like the Powerbar gels available on course)
  • Spare tube, multi-tool & inflator (incl 2 canisters)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet looking bike!

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Sweet looking bike!

Agreed

In particular tri-spoke looks very nice on it, especially because it's lined up so nicely with the fork ;)

How do you carry drinks?
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jun 7, 16 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. I am amazed at this bike. I'm 66 years old and it's like this bike took 10 years off of my legs. Even steep standing climbs, this bike seems to get up and go. I haven't raced it yet. For South Beach Tri in April, I shipped my Kestrel 4000. American Zoffigen has a 3/4 mile long dirt road to start and end the bike leg. It had been raining all week before and I was worried about it being too muddy. Again I rode the Kestrel. My race for this week-end, a very hilly sprint in Connecticut was cancelled. I think for my next ride I will put the disc/3 combo on and just blast up and down the Long Island Expressway Service Road for 50 miles to see how it feels.

Hydration so far has been a downtube bottle and a Profile Design vertical front bottle that I took the heat gun to so it is 1/4 inch from the steerer tube. I just ordered a behind the seat single bottle carrier and a Profile horizontal BTA bottle. I'll see how they work out.

I love this bike!!!

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone got IA 16 recently? Did it come with the FSA rear brake?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [raikk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't purchased one but the change back to FSA should be occurring on production now. The first batch with 105 will likely need some weeks to flush inventory.

SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raikk wrote:
Has anyone got IA 16 recently? Did it come with the FSA rear brake?

Yep, the latest shipment has the FSA rear brake.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got mine in March, it has the fsa rear brake.

size 56

Last edited by: Sweeney: Jun 9, 16 13:24
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30 mph northwest wind, 40 mile gusts. Perfect day to take the IA out with the H3/disc combo.

My route went 1.5 miles north, then 16 miles west, then return.

The bike got shifted around and wiggled a little but it was really steady and fast. The wind was harder on me while I was stopped at the light twice, than when I was moving. On the way home I was flying. On the last 1.5 miles with the wind hitting my right soulder I was cruising at 31 mph on the flat, easy!

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Got mine in March, it has the fsa rear brake.

size 56

Thanks for the replies. That's good to hear! Can't wait to have mine :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey guys, just a heads up, our bike doesn't fit the new flo wheels with 25mm conti gp 4000s2 in the rear. had to put a 23mm on there. not that's a big difference or matters all that much. i don't think the force 24mm will fit either but didn't have one to try
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a flo 90 in the rear with 25m conti GP4000 II's you need to adjust the dropout screws to make room between the frame and the tire.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm not seeing what you mean by dropout screws. you mean the skewers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
i'm not seeing what you mean by dropout screws. you mean the skewers?
Dropout screws are behind the skewers. They are where the chainstays and seatstays meet.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 12, 16 6:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
hey guys, just a heads up, our bike doesn't fit the new flo wheels with 25mm conti gp 4000s2 in the rear. had to put a 23mm on there. not that's a big difference or matters all that much. i don't think the force 24mm will fit either but didn't have one to try

The IA will fit 28mm tires if you're willing to adjust the wheel and brake pad position.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Bryan said, take the wheel off and look where the skewer sits in the dropouts, can only be adjusted with wheel off. And make sure you adjust them evenly, two full rotations worked for me to get 25m on there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
24 mm force fits without any problem and i still have space to ' grow'.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
What Bryan said, take the wheel off and look where the skewer sits in the dropouts, can only be adjusted with wheel off. And make sure you adjust them evenly, two full rotations worked for me to get 25m on there

well you learn something new everyday :) thanks guys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run enve 7.8 with vitoria rubino pro 25mm with no problems.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all, sorry if this was discussed before (probably)....
Was there ever a storage box released, like the one Rinny had on her bike one year, that filled in the bottom of the center triangle of the frame??
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Hi all, sorry if this was discussed before (probably)....
Was there ever a storage box released, like the one Rinny had on her bike one year, that filled in the bottom of the center triangle of the frame??
Nothing by Felt, and I haven't seen anything 3rd party.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx.
This is the one I was referring to. Wonder why they never officially released one?

http://www.tririg.com/...ae_Felt_IA&num=2
Quote Reply

Prev Next