Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official power2max support thread [Power2maxNA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its amazing how well you respond to these questions. Bottom brackets is a jungle.

My turn: I have newly acquired a Canyon Speedmax CF, amazing bike. I switched from a shiv earlier this year. I have not yet purchased a P2M and instead used my powertap. Works, but I want to have a power2max again and use whatever wheel on my new Speedmax.

So after intense search I have found out that the Speedmax CF uses PF86, which measures 86,5x41,0mm according to Canyon.

What I wonder is simply which cranksets are compatible, and if I need to get adapters.

I guess its too much to ask to be able to get adapters of any sort and run my OSBB crank (Specialized FACT) in my new bike.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im sure they will hop in, but that should use a standard 24mm crankset.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply. So I can get any crankset with a 24mm axle?

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes the BB jungle. That's a t-shirt waiting to happen...

It's true that BB86 was originally intended to work with cranks that have a 24mm axle. That said there are actually BB options that will allow you to run a crank with a 30mm diameter axle as well. This means two things: the first is that you can run whatever crank you want provided you get the corresponding BB for BB86, and the second that those BB's that allow you to run a 30mm diameter axle will utilize smaller bearings. The latter means that you're BB will likely have less longevity but it'll still work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I have a power2max type s for rotor flow cranks. I have been very impressed by the quality of the unit and have had no issues with it. However in the last few weeks my power, and FTP, has increased by some 60-70 watts, but given the training I have been doing I feel that this is unrealistic and I'm a little confused. My unit has never experienced any adverse conditions and I was wondering what could be wrong? The only things that have differed recently are the colder temperatures here and a new pair of cycling shoes, neither of which I would've thought would have such an adverse effect. I use a Garmin 510 and the battery in the pm is less than half way into its life if that's important.

Thanks for any help
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried the search and slowtwitch came back empty but I have to imagine it's been discussed. I just don't want to look thru 1500 posts.

I have an older P2M (3-4 year range). Love it. Never a single issue. I am going to move 2 teeth larger in the front chainring. I know P2M doesn't calibrate and I'm ok with that. But I am curious if I was putting out 200w before does that go up/down by a predictable X watts w different teeth?

Meaning I'm putting a new chainring on and I want to know if the power numbers I'm used to will be off noticeably and if I'm putting out X watts but it feels like X + Y, I won't be killing myself trying to hit watts that aren't the same anymore.

Would be nice to know if here is a rule of thumb to keep in mind.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
Meaning I'm putting a new chainring on and I want to know if the power numbers I'm used to will be off noticeably and if I'm putting out X watts but it feels like X + Y, I won't be killing myself trying to hit watts that aren't the same anymore.

See:
http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/support/faq/
Quote:
power2max power meters have been designed in such a way that you can change chain rings without having to recalibrate the unit. Calibration remains unaffected by the choice of chain rings and chain bolt torque. We do however, recommend tightening chain bolts to the prescribed torque.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Baek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baek wrote:
Hi, I have a power2max type s for rotor flow cranks. I have been very impressed by the quality of the unit and have had no issues with it. However in the last few weeks my power, and FTP, has increased by some 60-70 watts, but given the training I have been doing I feel that this is unrealistic and I'm a little confused. My unit has never experienced any adverse conditions and I was wondering what could be wrong? The only things that have differed recently are the colder temperatures here and a new pair of cycling shoes, neither of which I would've thought would have such an adverse effect. I use a Garmin 510 and the battery in the pm is less than half way into its life if that's important.

Thanks for any help

I would not say that is totally out of the realm of possibility depending on how much colder we are talking. If you had some very poorly-fitting shoes you could probably sustain more power if you switched to new shoes, and the temperature could cause a big difference. I have been doing the same TT for several weeks now, and my best weeks are cold weeks, my worst week was very hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Type S on a FSA K-Force Light w/ 170 crank arms. I would like to try to go down to 165's. My only option is to send the meter back to you to swap out the arms, correct?

J. Tyler Pate
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [JTPATE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send us an email at support@power2max.com

I'd be happy to sell you the crank arms but, given it's the MegaExo version, it's probably just as easy for you to do the swap since it's only a Torcx driver that you need to remove the power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for doing this Nicolas.

I just got a Type-S MTB Rex 1 1X. Works great. Easy to set up. So far, seems very stable, accurate and reliable.

But can you clarify this issue about the bolt circle pattern and non-round rings? I would like to use an oval ring with it for most of my XC racing, but I've read in a few places that the bolt circle pattern makes it so that the clocking of the oval ring doesn't work out.

True? Are there oval rings that do work?

Thanks
Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my power2max 2 years and it has worked great, I have changed batteries when needed etc. it has now stopped working , so I presumed it was the battery, I switched out and still the garmin has no reading, tried another battery in case I had picked up a bad battery, still no reading... anything else I should try before bringing into the LBS ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by "clocking of the ring". Our power meters work just fine with elliptical rings, it was only recently that we stopped selling them on our site in bundles with the power meters...The beautiful thing about our system is that you can go seamlessly from round to elliptical rings without having to do any calibrating. Post Eurobike this year I hope to have more specifics on our site about how that works. Stay tuned...
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [fliss08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a Type S or a Classic? If it's the latter remember that the battery needs to be a Renata. Also, were you using a sensor prior to replacing the battery that you're no longer using? Sometimes the Garmin will continue to search for paired devices which hinder its ability to record data...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2maxNA wrote:
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by "clocking of the ring". Our power meters work just fine with elliptical rings, it was only recently that we stopped selling them on our site in bundles with the power meters...The beautiful thing about our system is that you can go seamlessly from round to elliptical rings without having to do any calibrating. Post Eurobike this year I hope to have more specifics on our site about how that works. Stay tuned...

Sorry. Looking back at my post, I see it is a bit confusing. One of the reasons I got the P2M power meter instead of a quarq was because of the supposed sampling correction for non-round rings. So I am quite optimistic that this will work out.

Luckily someone has expressed the issue more elegantly than I have. Yes, the MTBR forum is full of glue-eaters and non-standard numbers of chromosomes; but in this case, post #138 in this thread illustrates the problem quite effectively:
http://forums.mtbr.com/...-meter-889731-6.html

Let me know what you think.

Thanks again
Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clarifying. The forum you're referring to is absolutely right. On our 104BCD MTB power meters (1x) we do rotate the pitch of the bolt circle slightly which effectively renders them ineffective for elliptical chain rings. As the forum suggests it is possible to physically mount the chain rings to the power meter the difference is that, with the pitch rotated, the wrong part of the chain ring is positioned at the down stroke of the crank arm.

That said, if you're running a road power meter this isn't an issue. Most elliptical rings will allow positioning in a number of ways relative to the crank arm. This means that you can fine tune their positioning based on your individual pedal stroke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just started to install my power2max type S on my 2015 Cervelo P2. The P2 has a BBright bottom bracket.

I ordered a Power2max Type S FSA Gossamer BB386EVO-130BCD, 170mm crank.

The install kit I got from P2M had 2 dust caps, a washer, one WM427 spacer from FSA, and two WM258A from FSA.

I thought the right spacer to use would have been using the WM247 spacer and a dust cap on the drive side and a dust cap and washer on non drive side.

This did not work. The small chainring hit the frame when the crank was pushed all the way in.

My questions are what spacers should I be using? Should I use any on the non drive side?

Whats the install sequence?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi - I have a classic. Put in a brand new battery, got the green flashing light, gamin head unit says connected, shows device details, but no power reading. I get cadence, but no power. Any ideas?

Update: just took the cover and the light is red. It was a brand new Renata CR2450N battery. What would discharge the battery so quickly?
Last edited by: TJM: Jul 8, 16 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2maxNA wrote:
Ah yes the BB jungle. That's a t-shirt waiting to happen...

I also am struggling mightily in the BB and chainring jungle. What I want to do is have a power2max that I can set up 1x or 2x. This is for a cx/gravel bike, so hope to be able to do 36/46 as a 2x and 38 or 40 or 42T as a 1x. Bottom bracket is BB386EVO.

Thanks in advance for your help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the life on these things. Mine is about 2.5 years. Last week my average power seemed way off. I average 150-185 for a long ride. It is now averaging 125. I swapped batteries and no change. Just to be objective I compared segments from the past. Today I set new records with wattage that was anywhere from .25 to half what my best score on these segments were. What are my options if it needs to be replaced?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
What is the life on these things. Mine is about 2.5 years. Last week my average power seemed way off. I average 150-185 for a long ride. It is now averaging 125. I swapped batteries and no change. Just to be objective I compared segments from the past. Today I set new records with wattage that was anywhere from .25 to half what my best score on these segments were. What are my options if it needs to be replaced?

I am certain that this is in the 60 pages of thread somewhere, but presumably, like a Quarq, you should be able to hang a known mass off the pedal, check the torque, and recalibrate with the firmware as necessary? If that doesn't work, send it in the P2M?
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power 2 max doesn't seem to have a manual calibration. I have a quarq on my road bike. You can't read torque values on it, so I've been told. Instead it uses an offset zero with 3 seconds of inactivity. I swore on my ride I did that on a few occasions. But I'll try again on a shorter ride. But I want to hear from p2m. In the mean time I'm thinking of swapping on my bikes. My tri bike is SRAM anyways. While my roadie is shimano. I also have a lot of segments on my road bike where I really pushed it so can get better comparisons.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive had (2) P2M's purchased around the same time ~3 years ago. Maybe 4 now. No issues. For whatever that is worth...
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping it is something easy to explain like he fact it has been 85 plus at night and was almost 100 the second half of my ride.

Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OCD wouldn't let this go and I found a link to a static torque test on DC rainmaker. I came up with a slow of .15977 vs the .170988 given in the original test. Where that is in the grand scheme, I don't know. Especially since I don't have the original ticket. Maybe the OP can provide that to me offline when I give him serial numbers. We can then determine if we're in tolerance and it was just a funny day.

Or I magically just figured out how to increase my speed with less wattage despite putting on 5 lbs.

Quote Reply

Prev Next