Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Maryland... What are normal conditions?
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about signing up for IM Maryland.. Reading about prior race reports, was last year an anomaly? I don't want to race in 40'F weather lol.

What are typically weather like there in October? Website says water is high 70s?

Also read that there are jellyfish?
Last edited by: 125mph: Jun 5, 16 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland... What are normal conditions? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
normally it would be very nice, maybe a little windy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting this thread, as I along with 4 others are considering doing IM Maryland. Interested in what the experienced ones say. I have read about the jellyfish too.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland... What are normal conditions? [jareed58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Living in the northeast it can be 60 and crisp on October 1st or it can be 80. It really is a crap shoot that time of year.

I will say the hurricane last year is extremely rare so I wouldn't worry about that.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're 45-49 male and going for a Kona slot the course is brutal. Jellyfish swarm during the swim, all headwinds during the bike, and they'll be out of water, ice and cola on the run. If you're 45-49 male and have no interest in a Kona slot this race is so easy you don't even have to train for it. Kind of a gimme. Bring more 45-49 male friends like that.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
I'm thinking about signing up for IM Maryland.. Reading about prior race reports, was last year an anomaly? I don't want to race in 40'F weather lol.

What are typically weather like there in October? Website says water is high 70s?

Also read that there are jellyfish?

It is usually really nice that time of year. 60's temp but it can get windy.

We bay locals call those jellyfish sea nettles. Some years they don't make an appearance and others are bad. The last year of the Chesapeake Man (2013?) race they were bad. Late summer was mild. You just have to wait and see.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland... What are normal conditions? [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+2 on the crap shoot. Early October is shoulder season with potential Indian summers and a once in a rare rare while hurricane. Last year's race was delayed with cool days/cold evenings weather for the 2 weeks before start date. Water temp dropped drastically. Expect low to mid 70's water temp. Odds are just as good for a perfect day, a hot day or a cool wet day.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland... What are normal conditions? [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also heard that males 40-44 that are looking to qualify for Kona start behind the 80-84 women. And that the run course is 18 loops with people throwing rocks at you.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland... What are normal conditions? [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
**this** Hilarious!
Quote Reply