Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any updates on when the new leak proof version of the Aero 30 going to be released?

Thanks,
Chris
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisgrigsby wrote:
Any updates on when the new leak proof version of the Aero 30 going to be released?

I'm curious as well!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once I get my Di2 parts I'll be riding again. Looking forward to that so much!

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Synnove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks awsome.

I am waiting for the magura adapters... in the meanwhile i am riding regular brakes. I never installed the Vision front brake beacuse it was so heavy, so i just decide to penalize a little the aero for weight while i found a solution to install the magura brakes.

I have change the bar for a zipp vuka aero and a set of enve 7.8...

Any news on the new calpac and drft box. I am thinking in ordedrin the quintana roo, but dont want to oush the bottom if felt is going to release one soon...
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [javman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can mount the front brake without an adapter as it's single bolt.

Concerning the rear brake, do keep in mind that it will limit you to a 1x drivetrain; the adapter puts the brake in the way of the chain if you're using a 34t ring. I'm not sure if that applies to 39 or 40something tooth rings, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know about the front, but inrather do both at the same time.

Could you share a photo of the rear brake. I run 52/36 qrings and i did not think about the possibility of interfences between the brake and the chainring...

In your picture you has a 2x crank?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loving my new Felt IA14. Here are some thoughts:

- I just love how it looks and received loads of positive comments
- the price point compared to other brands is great. With the difference I can get a proper bike fit and accessories
- There were no relevant instructions included, only some generic Felt stuff that was not specific to this bike. Had to google stuff and go on Felt's own site. That's actually not entirely correct, there was a small disc included but I haven't had a dvd or cd reader in years.
- Lots of room for improvement in training the bike shop. I also had the issue of the bike shop misrouting the cables. Need to send it back to fix it. They also misinterpreted how to close the quick release of the front break
- Like somebody else also experienced on this thread, the 3T difflock cap was stripped (I presume from the bike shop because it was already like that) and the bike shop will send a replacement. Also, it took me a while to figure out how to adjust it.
- The calpack is pretty bad won't stay closed and I've added tape to keep it still. I don't see it useful for anything more than storing energy gels which becomes useless if you decide to store gels in another manner (liquid in a bottle for instance). I'd love to hear alternative ideas on how to take advantage of the calpack
- The bontrager draft box fits well, but lid comes off quite easily and I've applied tape to make sure it stays closed. Accessing it while riding is not really a reasonable option so I only see the draft box useful for storing spare tubes and other kit.
- Crank length is 172.5 on the 54cm model instead of the 170 indicated on the Felt website. Not sure why, will need to check this with bike shop.
- It's heavier than I thought it would be. This is obvious because of the size of the tubes, but it's worth mentioning.
- Unless you use very small non aero bottles, you'll struggle to be able to fit two bottles of hydration on down tube and seat tube

Here is what I changed to mine, let me know what you think:
  • ISM PR 2.0 saddle
  • Kru wheels (55,88)
  • Bontrager Draft Box II
  • Elite Crono aero bottle

I'm considering changing the breaks and need to find a better solution for ironman hydration.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcoviappiani wrote:
Loving my new Felt IA14. Here are some thoughts:

- I just love how it looks and received loads of positive comments
- the price point compared to other brands is great. With the difference I can get a proper bike fit and accessories
- There were no relevant instructions included, only some generic Felt stuff that was not specific to this bike. Had to google stuff and go on Felt's own site. That's actually not entirely correct, there was a small disc included but I haven't had a dvd or cd reader in years.
- Lots of room for improvement in training the bike shop. I also had the issue of the bike shop misrouting the cables. Need to send it back to fix it. They also misinterpreted how to close the quick release of the front break
- Like somebody else also experienced on this thread, the 3T difflock cap was stripped (I presume from the bike shop because it was already like that) and the bike shop will send a replacement. Also, it took me a while to figure out how to adjust it.
- The calpack is pretty bad won't stay closed and I've added tape to keep it still. I don't see it useful for anything more than storing energy gels which becomes useless if you decide to store gels in another manner (liquid in a bottle for instance). I'd love to hear alternative ideas on how to take advantage of the calpack
- The bontrager draft box fits well, but lid comes off quite easily and I've applied tape to make sure it stays closed. Accessing it while riding is not really a reasonable option so I only see the draft box useful for storing spare tubes and other kit.
- Crank length is 172.5 on the 54cm model instead of the 170 indicated on the Felt website. Not sure why, will need to check this with bike shop.
- It's heavier than I thought it would be. This is obvious because of the size of the tubes, but it's worth mentioning.
- Unless you use very small non aero bottles, you'll struggle to be able to fit two bottles of hydration on down tube and seat tube

Here is what I changed to mine, let me know what you think:
  • ISM PR 2.0 saddle
  • Kru wheels (55,88)
  • Bontrager Draft Box II
  • Elite Crono aero bottle
I'm considering changing the breaks and need to find a better solution for ironman hydration.

Nice looking bike. I've got the IA10 and this has been my experience so far.....

-Agree
-Agree
-Completely agree. But I did not even receive a CD. Basically the paperwork included was worthless. The stuff that is on the Felt website is very helpful and they should really include it with the bike. At the price, $2 worth of photocopies would really be nice.
-Same goes for my bike shop. I keep finding things that, to me, should be obvious after having to learn about them myself. The shop has been worthless. Wires were too tight coming out of the aero bars and my shop said there was nothing I could do about. After talking to Superdave it appears to simply be a matter of about $40 worth of parts and a simple fix.
My arm pads needed to be wider apart and my shop said they were adjusted as far out as possible. Once I started pulling things apart on my own I found a whole set of additional bolt holes that allowed me to get plenty of width I needed in the arm pads. This should have been the most simple thing for the shop to take care of when they were fitting me. I have no idea why this was not taken care of. Again, something I ended up doing on my own. The shop was pretty worthless, besides taking my money and delivering an assembled bike.
-3T...not something I've dealt with.
-Calpack. I've only used it a couple of times so far, but I really like the GU blocks and this space seems to work great for filling up with GU blocks.
-I have an XLAB aero pouch in place instead of the draft box. So far I really like it. I thought I might have issues pulling bottles from behind my rear, but it actually works great.
-I'll probably change my crank length when I order a Power2Max
-It is heavier than I would have thought too. It is actually heavier than the cyclecross bike I had been using for my triathlons which really surprised me.
-I've got a Torpedo BTA and an Aero TT as a fuel bottle, along with my aero pouch in the rear for hydration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisgrigsby wrote:

Thanks,
Chris
It's been throwing in here somewhere end of last year I guess, would really like to try it too. The gaffer tape is another thing to take care while refills on the fly.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's real. And they are working on it. I've seen an early version and it helpeD a lot! They are still working on it to my knowledge.
Last edited by: zachboring: Jun 2, 16 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it is out, and it is called the Vision Metron Front Hydration System.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a few of the same issues you have with my size 54 IA10.

It came with 172.5 cranks. I replaced them with a 170 quarq riken.

The calpac isnt the most useable. I pretty much only use it during races where I will put a few gels in it. Someone 3d printed a piece that allows you to use a internal hydration bladder like a specialized shiv has. It has also been rumored that felt may be designing a replacement calpac thats better. Theres not alot of details on that though.

My trek draftbox top pops off over bumps. I also tape the top and its been fine ever since.

As far as brakes go the Vision trimax that comes stock is pretty good. I did some aero testing and the trimax omega tested a few watts faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder how long your underarms are? The shifter buttons seem to be a mile away from the armpads

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice looking setup, I'd love to see a video or picture of your position on those aerobars. They definitely get you low compared to the stock bars.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Gjadams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll post a picture of my position after I receive my zero rise stem and dash saddle; should allow me to rotate my hips a little more vs the Adamo road and get a bit lower more comfortably.

tri-run wrote:
I wonder how long your underarms are? The shifter buttons seem to be a mile away from the armpads

I don't wrap my hands around the shifter body; I grip the part of the bar that curves upward as that helps me from sliding forward. I also rest my elbows on the pads as opposed to my forearms.

What I'd like to do is use the cateye buttons and place them at the end of the extensions so they are easier to grab; the shimano shifter body is absurdly long.
Last edited by: Synnove: Jun 4, 16 20:52
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:

The calpac isnt the most useable. I pretty much only use it during races where I will put a few gels in it. Someone 3d printed a piece that allows you to use a internal hydration bladder like a specialized shiv has. It has also been rumored that felt may be designing a replacement calpac thats better. Theres not alot of details on that though.

Hmmm, just how unusable is it? I have just taken delivery of mine, and am looking at the calpac thinking, can I get an entire bag of jelly babies in there, and will I be able to fish the ones out at the bottom?!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trihard1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the opening in the cover was cut different you would have easier access to the deep part of the calpac. It's not something that couldn't be fixed. Some people have cut the bottom off zippered bento boxes and used that instead of the stock cover.

I put a few gels in there for a 70.3 and it worked fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much does this weigh out of the box provided that you added the draft box and race wheels? Can't seem to find the info anywhere. I know my friend's IA1 seemed heavy for me even with Zipp 808s. Aero > weight, I suppose.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [TriZen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike isn't light. Well over 9kg stock weight. The weight is listed on the Felt website.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [TriZen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With my 808s it's a smidge over 22 lbs. It is not a light bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am unable to get to the GU blocks at the very bottom of the storage compartment. If the top was cut a little differently I think I could. I'm half temped to just cut it back a bit further, but I'd be afraid if I cut it further back the new cut would just continue to peel back until it came off. I also thought about rigging some kind of ribbon in the bottom that I could pull on to lift the last couple of GU blocks off the bottom, but its probably more of a hassle than its worth for the last couple of GU blocks.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
With my 808s it's a smidge over 22 lbs. It is not a light bike.
A good chunk of that weight can be shed by proper selection of cranks, aerobars, stem, and saddle. That being said, I was rather surprised that the IA frameset weighed more than my 2005 Guru Aero'Ti frameset.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Synnove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the wieght of the frame and fork? I'm not surprised at all that this is a heavy bike. Just look at the frame. There is probably almost twice as much carbon fiber as on a round tube road frame.

However, I don't think the weight is much of a disadvantage even in a mountain ride. Three weeks before American Zofingen I rode it around the course at a time that would have been my fastest lap of the race and hit 50.1 on the front downhill. AZ is one of the toughest bike courses in multisport and this bike performed.

I think you could lose a little bit of weight with a lot of expense if you change components. But it won't ad up to very much performance gain.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard1980 wrote:
j.shanney wrote:

Hmmm, just how unusable is it? I have just taken delivery of mine, and am looking at the calpac thinking, can I get an entire bag of jelly babies in there, and will I be able to fish the ones out at the bottom?!

you could always cut the bottom off of it like I did ;) got a whole flat kit in there and room for a gel or two
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. It is a lot heavier than my cannondale slice, but all my times have been faster on my Felt.
Quote Reply

Prev Next