Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"bubbling" sensation in leg muscles after hard sessions
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what I may be experiencing, and whether it's a sign of something bad I need to address? I first noticed this when I ramped up my IM training a couple of years ago. For the part of the season when the training was particularly intense, I would regularly feel this weird "bubbling"/twitching/blood movement, mostly in calves, but a bit in upper legs too. I would usually notice this when going to bed on hard bike/run days, and sometimes throughout the day after sessions. I don't experience this on a regular basis throughout the year, but usually ~2.5 to 1 months before the A race when I train the most. I kind of just thought this is some form recovery/adaptation after hard sessions. Anyone has more scientific details?
Quote Reply
Re: "bubbling" sensation in leg muscles after hard sessions [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the muscle actually twitching? That happens to me all the time. I think it's a neuromuscular effect from stress but I do not know.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: "bubbling" sensation in leg muscles after hard sessions [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I get this and you've managed to describe it better than I've managed to when telling other people about it. I can feel it in the evening after a hard session and don't sleep well for the first hour or two, and the twitching really annoys the wife!

No idea on the medical side, but I'm assuming it's nothing to worry about.
Last edited by: Padams: Jun 3, 16 12:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This many not be exactly what you're feeling, but Dave Roche just posted about this: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...vertraining#p5962708

1. “Clenching” Quads in the Evening
There is a difference between soreness (which is usually fine) and deep fatigue (which could put you in deep shnike).
If you are lying in bed and your legs are uncomfortable on a cellular level— difficult-to-pinpoint fatigue that feels deeper than run-of-the-mill soreness—your body may be having an adverse reaction to training stress.
On a related note, if you find yourself involuntarily flexing your legs throughout the evening, it’s time to back off.

I would say it's fatigue related, even if it's just twitching and not clenching. I sometimes get a twitch by my eye when I don't get enough sleep. Funnily enough, a few weeks ago I was getting that twitching in my quads, and around the same time my run workouts were tanking. I took both of those signs to mean I should get a little more rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possibly benign fasciculation syndrome? It's mild, neurological, and nothing to worry about if that's it. I have it, and after long runs my calves often look like something's trapped inside trying to claw its way out.
Quote Reply