Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Synnove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious, why did you go for the hydro rear brake? Did you also go hydro on the front?

I have no issues at all with the braking on my IA16 with a Vision brake from an IA10. On a 50 mph descent recently it hauled the speed down into a 90* turn smoothly and quickly.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
javman wrote:
Hi, did you order the adapter from magura or specialized???

Went to a Specialized dealer and they ordered it for me. Two adapters cost 12 USD.

Sweeney wrote:
I'm curious, why did you go for the hydro rear brake? Did you also go hydro on the front?

Both brakes are the RT8s. I bought my IA10 as a frameset, and wanted something more aero than the 6800s I had. I decided on the Maguras due to them not compromising aerodynamics for stopping power (the caliper arms are huge cast aluminum, and have very little deflection under load) and the added benefit of the improved modulation of hydro brakes, especially when you're having to route the brake cable through some tight turns (like aerobars and the IA front end).

And of course, the levers are awesome and the whole system just looks slick.

**Guess it's important to note that this setup only really works if you've a 1x drive-train; the adapter lowers the caliper enough such that it will interfere with the chainline when using the inner ring of a 2x setup.**
Last edited by: Synnove: May 21, 16 23:41
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Synnove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Mat-USA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did and did not face any issue at all (Stage.9)
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using my IA14 out on the road for a couple of months now and I've been enjoying it. I was a little cramped with the stock bars and also found the "f-bend" bars a little uncomfortable on my wrists for long rides. To address this I got a set of Specialized 400mm alloy ski bend bars which I fitted last week. Now it feels just about spot on. I also switched the stock wheels for a set of Swiss Side Hadrons (62.5mm front, 85mm rear) a few weeks ago. They make a lovely sound and the bike now has a huge amount of side area. I've ridden in some windy conditions and although I can definitely feel the effect when a gust hits me, I've had no real problems and I'm very happy with the choice. I'm looking forward to racing on it.
My first race is a middle distance event coming up next Sunday. I won't be racing flat out as it's really a hard training session ahead of my IM at the end of June but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

Unfortunately that Calpac still irritates the hell out of me.
I'd originally intended to fabricate my own replacement but time has been a problem and with Felt due to release a new aftermarket replacement soon I'm more likely to go that route (as long as it's a massive improvement!) In the meantime I need to figure out how best to carry what I need for my IM....
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ditched the cover of the calpack and use my DarkSpeedWorks aero bento in it's place. I cut two slots in the bento for the towers of the CP. They hold it in place and i use the velcro straps to keep it on. I put a spare tub under the DSW and put everything else inside. It is fine for me for now. If the person who posted the 3d printed bladder conversion gets it to market, I will get that and go for a QR box on the rear for flat kit.

I never gave the Felt aero bar a chance. I ordered my IA with a Zipp Vuka Aero. The shop had me set up way way too stretched out. After a couple of rides I got myself just about right. Then I got fit by Dan at the ST Roadshow, set it up that way, then adjusted the seat back halfway to where I had it and now just like the Goldylocks, it's just right. It's a fast bike

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a profile design bento that I had a look at using the other day but I wasn't convinced so didn't start cutting it to fit around the obstacles. However, I might do something like that. I'm running out of time for anything more elaborate.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had my IA16 about 3 or 4 months now and I do almost all of my riding indoors on the trainer. After every ride I give it a once over with a sponge and "super bike wash" and then dry it down. But I am noticing it is very difficult to clean around and behind the stem (arguably the area most sweat accumulates) and now my steering is starting to feel a bit sluggish at first when I take it off the trainer.
Any thoughts on how to better clean around the stem? And solution to the steering to take off the stem and give a thorough cleaning?
Anybody having this as well?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto, I may ride outside once/week. I just hose mine done with a garden hose with good pressure every few weeks after one of the outdoor rides.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm finally getting out on my IA10 and had a couple questions. First off, is it typical that the wiring coming out of the back of the aero bars is pretty tight? I can only turn about 45 degrees before the wires are taught. Granted, out on a race course I'm not likely to be making turns that require me to turn more than that, but I'm concerned about the strain on the wires over time. My bike shop said that it is an issue with the Di2 wires provided...they just don't provide enough wire to give adequate play in the wires.

I also wanted to charge the battery this evening for the first time but found that upon unscrewing the little cap under the bars on the front end of the frame, that the cap seems to be attached on the inside to something and everything is tightly packed in there. I did not want to risk breaking something by forcing anything in trying to pull stuff out. What should I expect, or is there something I'm missing? What is the easiest way to charge this thing?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keqwow wrote:
I'm finally getting out on my IA10 and had a couple questions. First off, is it typical that the wiring coming out of the back of the aero bars is pretty tight? I can only turn about 45 degrees before the wires are taught. Granted, out on a race course I'm not likely to be making turns that require me to turn more than that, but I'm concerned about the strain on the wires over time. My bike shop said that it is an issue with the Di2 wires provided...they just don't provide enough wire to give adequate play in the wires.

I also wanted to charge the battery this evening for the first time but found that upon unscrewing the little cap under the bars on the front end of the frame, that the cap seems to be attached on the inside to something and everything is tightly packed in there. I did not want to risk breaking something by forcing anything in trying to pull stuff out. What should I expect, or is there something I'm missing? What is the easiest way to charge this thing?

There is a 2nd Junction B JC41 unit and 1 extra wire needed to relocate the Junction A box with plenty of slack on bar set-ups with risers.
The Di2 wires are hard-wired into the brifters and extension buttons, this is not a Felt issue, it's a Shimano issue. They've identified this and future versions of their shifters will have a longer wire on the integrated harness but Felt wasn't going to wait. You'll need the 2nd JC41+ 1 extra wire to connect it to the Junction A in the nosecone (except for XS size).

The cap is connected to the Junction A which is connected to the aforementioned tight wires. You've likely not enough slack to pull it out all the way. You only need access to the small port on the side to plug in the USB cord.

Your bike shop should eagerly walk you through all this as part of a $5000+ transaction; where did you buy the bike?

Let me know if you have further questions.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
Is that to say the Torhans VR bottle is a dud on the IA frames (IA or IAx) ? I had planned on using one for my spare kit this year for a 70.3 on the seat tube. Hydration would come via a Torhans Aero30 upfront and a rear mounted round bottle.

Whats been your best method for setting up for the 70.3 crowd using this bike?

Trying to bump this question - anyone have thoughts? I have a new IA 10 coming in and need to make some hydration choices. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Positioned correctly, the Torhans Aero30 is very good on the Original IA at right around a 7-8 watts savings. We actually haven't tested it on an IA10 yet. It all depends on how the bottle is mounted.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may depend on your position and what saddle you are using for what is best aerodynamically. If there is not a large gap between you and a behind the saddle bottle it may improve aerodynamics.

My current setup for 70.3's is a BTA (Xlab versa) on the aero bars and 1 bottle behind the saddle (xlab super wing). For anything shorter I will probably just use the BTA.

I'm still on the lookout for a better behind the seat solution though, the superwing puts the bottle pretty far back and its a little hassle reaching so far back to insert my empty bottle. I have a trek draft box to hold my flat kit behind the seat tube and not too much seatpost exposed so many behind the saddle mounts put the cage too low so the draft box is in the way.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Positioned correctly, the Torhans Aero30 is very good on the Original IA at right around a 7-8 watts savings. We actually haven't tested it on an IA10 yet. It all depends on how the bottle is mounted.

Awesome to hear it from the expert! Do you see anything about the IA10 that you think would result in a materially different outcome? (Not holding you to it, just curious.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See my post #846 on page 34 of the thread for photos of an aero30 on an IA10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see what I need now. This supplemental guide should really be included with the bike paper work. Or if it generally is, it was left out when I picked up my bike. For a noob to Di2, this is extremely helpful.
https://www.feltbicycles.com/...talManual_102315.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keqwow wrote:
I see what I need now. This supplemental guide should really be included with the bike paper work. Or if it generally is, it was left out when I picked up my bike. For a noob to Di2, this is extremely helpful.
https://www.feltbicycles.com/...talManual_102315.pdf[/quote]

It was provided to dealers who purchased the IA10 and was included on models shipped prior to the wiring harness modification from Shimano on the special parts they created for Felt to execute the less expensive junction-less cockpit wiring.

Did you get a Bayonet3 owner's manual for the cockpit?

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only paperwork that came with my IA10-

-Generic Felt bike owner's manual

-Di2 Charger/USB user's manual

-Di2 rear derailleur user's manual

I don't have anything regarding the Bayonet3 system. Not sure if it was included or not, but I also did not receive an AC adapter for the charging system, only the usb setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keqwow wrote:
The only paperwork that came with my IA10-

-Generic Felt bike owner's manual

-Di2 Charger/USB user's manual

-Di2 rear derailleur user's manual

I don't have anything regarding the Bayonet3 system. Not sure if it was included or not, but I also did not receive an AC adapter for the charging system, only the usb setup.

There is no Shimano AC adapter for the internal battery. The external battery has an AC plug and dock for the battery. The manuals you are missing should be available on Felt's website.

-SD

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [tmw20653] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMW20653,

I would bet you for sure are gaining a few watts there with that setup. A30 is very close and aero shrouding that brake cable. But as Jim says, some of our best aero data has come from the Aero 30 being placed on that bike.

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hans,
I would love to see data comparing your BTA option with A30 on the same mount with rider on-board. Very happy with the A30 set-up, but always looking for more free speed :)
T
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [tmw20653] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It really depends a lot on the specific bike and rider. For instance, in about 90% of our data which includes our own and a lot of third party from riders going to ERO, the Aero 30 tests the best. Usually it gives an aero benefit that we have seen from 3 all the way up to 9 watts. However, when we tested Starky on his old bike in 2014 the Aero 30 gave a 7 watt benefit. With his new bike at A2 wind tunnel after several tests the AeroZ came out ahead, not a lot, but by about 15 grams (1.5 watts) of drag delta with the Aero 30, while lowering overall drag by ~3.5 watts.

Again for the IA, all of our tests (ERO data) have showed significant decrease with the Aero 30. I would advise sticking with that bottle.

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ted Striker wrote:
Again for the IA, all of our tests (ERO data) have showed significant decrease with the Aero 30. I would advise sticking with that bottle.
Rat turds. I wish I had seen this a couple months ago. I spent way too much on an XLAB BTA, when I could have saved and been more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does the Aero 20 stack up against the 30 on this bike?
Quote Reply

Prev Next