Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? May 16 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone is well!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 16 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goals for this week:
at least one day off from running done!
swim 6x done!
bike 2x once
10+ hrs dissertation work done, slightly over 10 hrs

Had a pretty good week and a really nice weekend - some work, and a lot of time reading. :-)
Physics midterm this Wednesday night, boo.

Goals for this week:
- no more after dinner desserts; I haven't been sleeping well and I think sugar is to blame.
- 10+ hrs dissertation work
- get a good grade on the physics midterm
- at least one day off from running
- swim 6x (1 done), including one long swim
- bike 3x (1 done!)

Flying home in 17 days!!!!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I FEEL like I've been working out...

Cleaning/packing/purging/scraping wallpaper. I feel like we've stuck ourselves in a corner to sell our house & move, even though the timing sucks. But we've started, no point in stopping now. The dog & kid are both out of sorts with all the change (I'm not really much better - but making it all seem "fun" is kind of my job).

In workout news, the long doggie walks are good for my sanity. I'd like to get in the pool, but not motivated enough to make the timing work. Walking up the stairs at work today felt like a workout - all the cleaning/bending/standing/carrying must count for something.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 16 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
cleaning/bending/standing/carrying must count for something.

of course! carrying stuff, and that scraping motion is actually a really good rotator cuff strengthener.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks tigerchik! I'm traveling for work right now but have been mostly consistent with my training though not as good with my sleep/nutrition/hydration.

Here's how last week went:

1 rest day
1 yoga session (hoped for 2)
2 strength sessions (hoped for 3)
3 swims (all in various indoor pools, including one 60 foot pool which was hard on my brain)
1 trainer ride
1 run (a track session where I felt very good)
1 brick (45 miles on a bike I rented, a practice T2 and an ugly/slow 1 hour run)

I was a little worried about how bad the run part of my brick went but I am chalking it up to being in a different time zone, more tired than usual, and not eating the way I usually do. I'll be back in LA on Thursday and look forward to getting things back to normal. With 5 weeks to go for my 70.3, I could use some confidence building bricks and some quality time on my new bike.

This week I'm hoping for 2 pool swims, 2 runs (hills, long), 1 trainer ride, 3 strength sessions, and a ocean swim/bike brick.

I hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like your week was on point TC!

I managed 1 swim, 1 trainer ride and 1 club ride (that landed up being 100km - the last 5km was a struggle). Learnt a new type of rotating pace line and managed not to get dropped. Phew.

This week I'm planning for: swim x 4 (1 done), run x 4 (1 done), bike x 4 (3 x trainer, 1 x club ride, although that may become another trainer ride if the weather sucks). Hoping to graduate from physio tomorrow. Let's see!

Also, time to ditch the beer/glass of wine with dinner. It just makes me sleep poorly and feel sluggish in the mornings. And time to curb my cookie monster tendencies which have been coming to the surface since FM where there were cookies everywhere!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- swim x 2: FAIL. 1 only
- run x 5: win with 6
- core/strength x 2 (already done): win
- mobility/stretch x 2: win

So whoever said the course was all runnable at Seaton Soaker is either a mountain goat or a jackass. Apart from 2 huge very technical single-track climbs (plus assorted others - 444m of elevation gain for the 25k), there are SIX staircases and a river crossing.

Of course all of that was complicated further by the rain and wind, which kept things chilly and turned the course into a mud pit. There were places on the return leg of the out-and-back (which varies slightly in the last 3 to divert you through the water crossing) that I had to walk simply because I was going to fall on my head if I tried to run them. As it was, I was one of the apparently few who managed to stay upright the whole time - lots of muddy runners and bloody knees spotted on the course and at the finish.

Not hugely happy with my time, but I felt quite weak and tired right from the start - I guess ~75km in my legs from the 7 days prior might have something to do with that, and I think the wet weather may have been a factor, too. A couple of friends of mine DNF'd at 25k (they had signed up for the 50k and are both very strong ultrarunners) because their asthma was playing up in the rain. I noticed myself death whistling a lot more than I would have expected and suspect that I may have a touch of exercise-induced asthma (my dad was full-blown asthmatic), so that may have contributed to my effort level feeling absurdly high for the way I was running.

I am, nonetheless, satisfied with the way I kept pushing right to the finish. There were several times that I really wanted to give myself an excuse to walk a bit, but I buckled down and even managed to pass some people right up until a few hundred yards from the finish...which was a damn tease, because you run up a hill and are facing the finish arch, but then they make you run another lap around the field, first!

This week's goals:
swim x 2
run x 3
foam roll x 1 (done)
core/strength x 4

Ran another 13.75km on Sunday but yesterday my left ankle was feeling sore and I only got about 4hrs of sleep Sunday night, so I took an unscheduled rest day: just foam rolled before going to bed early. Feeling better today so I'll get back at it, but there will be no running this weekend. I'm spending it here:

We paddle in Saturday and paddle out Monday. I can't freakin' wait!

Quote | Reply
Can I play?

My goals for the coming week are:

1) swim x2
2) bike x1
3) run x 2 (one done already,yesterday)
4) avoid going out and getting hammered after work with friends, or, if I do, not very
5) qualify for AG worlds (sprint distance) on Sunday.

I will probably manage all but (4) and (5).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 16 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a long day. Good for you to stick it out and finish. I hate courses where you think you are done but, "surprise - not quite yet!". It just seems so mean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damnit. My TV that I watch while on the indoor trainer broke (my husband knocked it over). Grr.

On a happy note, I fixed my leaking hot tub (out of commission for 6 months) so I'm a happy soaker again.

Oh, and I'm nailing the workouts. Except the now-boring indoor sessions. Woot!

And, its my birthday! And no, I'm not age-grouping up. Still in the same age group for 1 more year. :-)

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 16 Edition [htrout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy birthday!!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 16 Edition [htrout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy birthday!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 16 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
3 swims (all in various indoor pools, including one 60 foot pool which was hard on my brain)

The pool my HS trained at most of the time was 20 yards. We went to the 25 yd pool (30 min drive) once a week. I never really noticed the difference in length as a HS swimmer, which is funny because it is so different!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 16 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So whoever said the course was all runnable at Seaton Soaker is either a mountain goat or a jackass.

that made me laugh...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha Tigerchik! Every foot/meter/yard matters when you're not a very good swimmer and having to turn around more often is tougher on my brain.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 16 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Sounds like a long day. Good for you to stick it out and finish. I hate courses where you think you are done but, "surprise - not quite yet!". It just seems so mean.

My husband was standing right by the spot they divert you to run around the field and he said it's the only time he's ever seen a volunteer just up and walk away from their post, because people were swearing at them so harshly for making them turn left instead of going straight through to the finishing arch!

I know it's a dirty trick, but it's not the volunteer's fault. I swear endurance sport needs something like a 2min unsportsmanlike conduct penalty sometimes.

Quote | Reply
last week:
- Coaching 3x. Solve the football problem. It sucked up way too much of my time and energy last week, so much so that I think this will be my last run as a football coach. But I have a master plan to at least end the season on a positive note.... DONE - problem solved.
- Run 4x including the Friday run to work DONE and the run to work was faster and longer. Keep it up.
- Riding is optional. Maybe Thursday :-) DONE rode to work Thurs and remembered why I love to ride...
- Drills & Skipping & Core 1x DONE

This is probably the first week in a long time I got everything done I wanted! :-) I can feel the motivation returning.....

This week (long weekend):
- Coaching 2x - no games this weekend - yay!
- Run 4x including Fri to work
- Ride 1x
- Core 1x
- Inline 1x - yes it's time to start on this - aiming for 1hr on the 400m track. Won't do crossovers as I don't plan on doing them during the race.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newbie here :)

Had a good week - in week three of Half Ironman training (Arizon 70.3 in October) and have the Tempe International Triathlon this weekend so got a few workouts in this week but resting today and tomorrow.

Then back to the Half Ironman training on Tuesday :)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 16 Edition [Zabba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome! Newbie to the sport or just the forum?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 16 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Newbie to the forum, not the sport. Although this year I am new to the Half Ironman distance as I've only ever raced Sprints and Olympic distances before. So this should be interesting...
Quote Reply