Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
I ordered an IA 10 frame set from JT Lyons at Moment Bicycles in San Diego (they were fantastic) and I built it up with some elements of my old TT bike and a new Ultegra Di2 groupset.

Please tell me you have some sort of protection in case of chainsuck? I ask because I just put a small scratch in my IA10s bottom bracket area via chainsuck. Don't just rely on the metal plate on the chainstay; it's rather soft and my chain cut through the edge and in to the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello guys
I am impatiently waiting for a seat box, is it 100% sure Felt will launch one or should I buy the QR or Draftobx?
Thanks
Last edited by: pablofuente: May 1, 16 6:36
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [pablofuente] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pablofuente wrote:
Hello guys
I am impatiently waiting for a seat box, is it 100% sure Felt will launch one or should I buy the QR or Draftobx?
Thanks

i really thought about getting a QR but then realized that bolting some ill fitting stuff to the bike would probably be counter productive. I'm pretty happy with my calpac hack (sawing off the bottom and creating a basket out of duct tape). It negated the need for storage back there. supposedly we're getting options in may
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wildflower was my 3rd race since getting my IA10. They said it was going to be very windy so I swapped my 808/808 for 808/404. It was probably the difference between getting killed and barely surviving. The wind was throwing me everywhere on this bike. Some of it was just not being used to the difference in handling from my old setup, I'm sure, but the rest of it was the bike just catching the wind and throwing me around. I weigh 156, so not a lot of mass to hold the bike, but still, I've been riding a long time and I thought I could ride better than that. Anyone else feel thrown around on the IA in high winds?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How bad was the wind? My first two rides were on windy, blustery days. Not storm force but I could feel the wind hitting me and changing all the time. I put on a Hed3/disc combo and it was steady as she goes. I weigh 168.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: May 1, 16 9:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I took the bike to 50 mph on a calm day and again it was smooth sailing.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wind was reported as 15-17 with gusts of 20-23.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden my IA16 in 15 to 20 mph winds with some gusts on 60mm rims. I wouldn't call it rock steady, but it wasn't sphincter tightening, either. Anything over 20 mph I pull out my road bike for training, though. At 142# I don't like sharing the road in the wind without more control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
Anyone else feel thrown around on the IA in high winds?
I rode my IA16 in New Orleans on its stock wheels. Wind was 25 to 30 MPH. (I think gusts were higher than 30, though. It felt like when I was evacuated from Clearwater because of a hurricane ten years ago.) Granted it was mostly head/tail winds. But there were also some pretty intense side wind gusts. I did not think it was any worse or different than anyone else I knew of. One of the guys in the group I knew got blown into a pylon and crashed 3 miles in. By my estimate, I probably passed 800 to 1,000 people on the bike. I always passed with as much room side-to-side as I could, because people were getting blown sideways. I thought most of them looked as much as or more gust-prone than I felt.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe what I'm feeling is the difference between using a road bike (Alcatraz, or anything really hilly) or my Slice versus being on a "aero" tri bike, plus going from 162 down to 155/156.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that I'm a few races in, I can confidently say the calpac is a total piece of shit and Felt should be embarrassed with it. Between the small capacity, having to tape it to the bike to stay on, and fiddling with the opening in aero position just to use it, it's just a really shitty design. I don't know what they were thinking. No calpac would have been better and I could have used an xlab pouch or something. Unless the idea was to get all your calories from bottles ... of course my Torhans gives me a sports drink bath because that's a terrible engineering too so I'll probably be going back to speedfill since it is (1) cheap, (2) no splashing, (3) simple bottle mount, (4) and I think easier to fill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took off the rubber part of the Calpack and cut two slots in my Dark Speedworks bag so it could sit on top. Spare tube goes under, everything else in the bag. Works good enough for now.

Maybe you should try a disc on windy days. People have different theories why it stablizes the bike, but most agree that it does.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [pablofuente] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could sell you a QBox for good discount if you would like it. I did a sprint race this past weekend and stuffed a tube, CO2 and a lever in the Calpac and was satisfied with how that worked. I placed black vinyl over the entire box so you cannot see the QR. It looks good be I just do not need it.

PM me if you are interested.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone installed a rotor 3d crank on your Felt IA? I am attempting to do so on my IA 10 - I was watching this video on the install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbkbXl8XRXI - I notice after I get the crank on the bike that there is really no side to side play, I can screw down the preload bolt only a 1/4 of a turn if that, before it's snug. When looking at the chain rings in relation to the derailleur it seems the chain rings need to get a little closer to the bike. Is it normal to have readjust the front derailleur when installing a new crank? I have swapped others before and haven't had to make any adjustments, so something tells me its a user error and I am missing something.

I was using the stock bb and rubber washers that came with the bb, then the larger cups for the rotor cranks and then installing the cranks. Rotor did also send really then clear washers, not sure if I should be using those instead of the rubber washers - I did notice though that the ones provided by rotor are not as large as the rubber washers.

Any insight would be helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Mcluvin22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mcluvin22 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. So with that it looks like I need a 30mm spindle. Any thoughts on difference between the rotor 3d30 vs the 3d+?
This might be too late, but I'll weigh in because I just put a P2Max on an IA16 (well...LBS did, anyway). I couldn't justify the extra cost for 3D or 3D+. I ended up ordering the Gossamer BB386EVO. IA10 likely has a better stock crankset than the 16 though so I don't know if gossamer is a downgrade for you...but I think it was a slight upgrade for me. I originally ordered the "regular" gossamer and it didn't fit on my IA16 so I had to return it and get the BB386EVO instead. So far it is working perfectly!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Mcluvin22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I installed a ROTOR crank on the IA10 with the original washer and spring and with Rotor's 11.5mm spacer cone on both sides. It is indeed tight and almost no adjustment is needed with the set ring. Because of the 11.5mm spacer your chainline is indeed further outwards and you need to adjust the front derailleur.
I run Osymetric rings (don't judge, just accept) and I think I actually need one more shim spacer drive side, since I have some very slight rubbing. I can report back.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [theKAISER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - glad to hear that it wasn't a user error. I was just looking on Rotors site and they offer a 8.5mm spacer, I wonder if I could use one 11.35 and one 8.5mm spacer then actually use the lock ring, which will also bring the chain rings closer?

They also had different spacers on the site, take a look maybe it will help with your chain rub issue: http://www.rotor-shop.com/...otor-spareparts.html
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased the IA16 a few months ago. It is my first real tri bike. I've used a road bike with aftermarket aerobars in the past.

With the way the bike is currently set up, my upper back muscles and shoulder muscles get really tight and uncomfortable after 15-20 minutes of riding. This is troublesome for 3-4 hour rides as I constantly have to sit up and get out of the aerobars to give my muscles a break.

I had a preliminary fit done when I purchased the bike, but nothing too in depth. Do you think a more in depth fit would help with this issue? Or should I just mess around with the setup on my own? Any tips?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [roy utah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It probably is a fit problem. What did the shop do for the preliminary fit? With a typical fit, you are on a device that can move the seat fore/aft/up/down and handlebars fore/aft/up/down as you ride. The good systems will measure you and generate a preliminary configuration based on your inseam, torso length, and arm length. Then, the operator will tune it with you to work out the best setup. Without all of that, and an experienced fitter to help, it is tough to guess what might be causing your soreness. What is the angle of your elbow when you are in your aero position? And, what is the height of the pads relative to your seat?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [roy utah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely something wrong with your fit. If you have someone nearby who can work with you on your fit, I would do that. If not, plenty of people have posted video or pictures on these forums and gotten help.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know not exactly what you were looking for, but not finding the muse to take it apart. So bar end shifter cables go in with brake cables via side port on stem. Extension shifters stay outside.

The two cables from the extension go into the chimney-like guide in the calpac base, while the two cables from the basebar go under the stem cap and dive into the calpac directly (not via the chimney thing).
Below the aerobar shifters connect into a junction box (B junction, had to buy this one, 4 ports), from there a new cable goes to junction box A in the nosecone. The basebar shifter cables are long enough and don't need the junctionB+extension to make it to the nose cone (I may have this the other way around, but you'll notice which pair needs the extension).
Next time I unscrew the thing I'll take some better pictures.
Hope this helps

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [theKAISER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pictures and descriptions are great. With this, I get a good idea of how it should be, or can cleanly be routed. Thank you very much!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Synnove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful! Makes me love that frame I had been eyeing!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a list of stems that I'm pretty sure will work with the IA's short steerer tube:

-Felt Dagger Stem (110mm)
-TriRig AlphaX and "SigmaX", should it ever actually exist (100mm)
-Syntace Flatforce (44-110mm)
-FSA SI K-Stem & Non-Series stem (60-110mm)
-BLK-Tec M3, carbon, seems to have cable routing (80-110mm)
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
post 545 shows cleaner routing, in my opinion, since nothing goes into the calpac area.
Quote Reply

Prev Next