Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? May 2 Edition
Quote | Reply
It's May!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 2 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So things are good. Goals for this week
15 hrs of dissertation work... really. fell in a lack of motivation hole and got slightly over a third of that
bike twice once! errands! I have a lot of fear about cycling right now, so short = good
swim 6x only did 5 but that is okay
day off from running done!

Good things about last week - I got a lot of life stuff done, like bday and mothers day present for my mom, some cleaning, that sort of stuff. I also read my way through a book and a half this weekend, and that was a treat. I was/am burnt out on dissertation stuff and I needed that break. I had a nice dinner with friends last night and that was enjoyable.

Oh, and the kitten caught her first mouse!!!

Hard things about last week - I feel mildly depressed (AHEM. Dissertation. AHEM.) I am trying to get back in the swing of things today. Writing in 15 minute chunks with 5 minute breaks is quite alright. So there.

goals for this week:
I am so busy teaching this term that 15 hours on dissertation stuff seems un-doable, so I'm setting a goal I can achieve, called 10 hours.
day off from running
bike twice
swim 6x (1 done :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All is well over here. I had a good week for work/life, was able to get in all of the training I had on my schedule, and even had the time and energy for a little socializing/bouldering at a rock climbing gym I'd been wanting to check out. I have a busy few weeks at work coming up including travel to the East Coast (hi Boston SlowTwitchers!) so I'm trying to get in lots of quality open water swimming and road time to adjust to my new bike before I go.

Here's how last week went:

1 active rest day
2 yoga sessions
3 swims (2 pool, 1 open water) - open water swim was another very big day of waves and I saw a gray whale!
1 trainer ride - sprints and HR training, nothing special
1 bike ride - Not a total disaster but a pretty tough adjustment to being in aero on my new (to me) tri bike and a bigger crankset
1 falling off bike incident - couldn't quite figure out my shifting and positioning and tipped over on a hill. Felt like a bonehead. Banged up my hand and bruised my ego but otherwise fine.
2 runs - one session of hill repeats and a marathon race pace 9 miler (which was supposed to be a brick but my transition included breakfast, icing my hand, sulking, and a nap).

I have a race this weekend (Olympic Tri) and am debating whether or not I want to attempt the new bike or keep practicing. I'd like to race on it before my 70.3 in June and think the experience could be good even if I'm less competitive -- will see how my midweek ride goes. Hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not bad.
a bad week for biking.
decent for running. extended long run to 9mi.
missed on strength training. again.
If I didn't have PT exercises to do...

Swim was 2x and good.
Did a gravel / dirt event. It was timed, but not everyone was concerned about that. Someone stole a turn sign and we got in an extra 7.2mi. So 57.2mi instead of 50. Wound up 4th. I think the woman I was riding with and I would have been 1&2 if not for the missed turn and extra miles.

Bonus question - should a woman get strava QOMs if they were achieved on the back of a tandem captained by a male?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goal was 3 x trainer, 1 x outdoor ride, 3 x run/walk and 3 x swim. Managed 2 of the trainer and run/walk and 1 outdoor ride. No swimming last week but I can live with that.

First Sunday ride with the club was intense. 30kph for 3 hours; my intensity factor worked out to 0.986 so I couldn't really have been working much harder. I'm still tired today but I can't wait for the next ride!

My kitchen is done! The file sizes exceed the permitted attachment size so you can see a before and after here: http://littlecondo.tumblr.com/...ould-write-paragraph

Goals for this week:
swim x 4 (1 done), run/walk x 4 (1 done), trainer x 4, 1 x TT outside. Pretty ambitious for me so let's see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 2 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ooh! beautiful!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 2 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The kitchen looks great!!

We have a realtor coming to check out our place this week. Gulp - I'm not great with change...

On the exercise front - I walk the dog. Today I ran around the yard/in the sprinkler with my kid. Anything more than that makes me not feel so great. Feels a bit like a waste of the summer.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 2 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the temperatures the way they are at the moment, running in the sprinklers sounds pretty perfect to me! Hope you start feeling better soon.
Last edited by: Scheherazade: May 3, 16 6:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the fabulous new kitchen Scheherazade!

Last week's goals:
swim x 2: win with 3
bike x 1: win (just a 10k ride to the farmers' market on Saturday morning)
run x 4: win with 6, including my first ever lunch run!
core/strength x 4: win

I'll make you a deal edbikebabe - I'll run for you if you do fun stuff like running through sprinklers for me. I just can't seem to find much time for just the fun things lately, though we did have some friends over Saturday night for a bonfire for my husband's birthday and had our monthly potluck brunch with friends on Sunday. I missed the first part of it to go for a 12k trail run, but then there was bacon and steak and eggs and the chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting and salted caramel peanuts that I made for my sweetie (chocolate peanut butter being his favourite, with salted caramel a close second).

Much was the face-stuffing, and I was very happy to already have the run out of the way. Also got to run some lovely trails that I don't know as well, since the brunch was in Guelph - I'd cycled the Royal Recreational Trail before but hadn't done the Downtown Trail or CNR Spurline Trail at all.

Along the Speed River on the Royal Recreational Trail

Very pretty though an overcast and rainy day.

My legs were in pretty rough shape as I'd been out running for 3 hours the day before at Huron Natural

Area in Kitchener. We were dismayed when we showed up to find the place thronging with families - apparently there had been Earth Day activities going on from 10am to 4pm, but fortunately we arrived at 3:30 and you could escape the crowds with off-leash dogs and strollers by leaving the paved & crushed gravel paths for the singletrack.

Some of which is just glorified washout.

But much of which is more manageable.

The first trilliums were just starting to bloom

And there were some other neat things to see:

..but after 569m/1,867ft of climbing I was pretty roasted. Still amazed I managed to stay up until 1am around the fire for Tanker's party!

This week's goals:
- swim x 2
- bike x 1
- run x 5
- core/strength x 4

Because of my stupid decision to do the 12-hr in July, I'm also in the process of changing my registration for a 25k on June 11th to the 50k option the same day - it'll be 5 weeks out from the 12-hr and I need to get the long training day in my legs far enough in advance to adapt and recover. We're spending June 18-25 motorcycle touring through Quebec which will mean shorter runs (<1hr) & no cycling/swimming, so this is probably my best bet.

Quote | Reply
Sounds like you had a perfect week of playing & eating. That cake looks soooo good. My new weight goal is to not gain more than a pound/week for the next 15 weeks. Pretty sure my body has other ideas, but I do like goals (and winning).

There never feels like enough time here either - but it was +28 yesterday - ON MAY 2nd. The kid has been dying for backyard water time for forever (losing the snow early messed with everyone's sense of seasons) & I don't think any of us are fully prepared for the disruption of the baby in a couple months. Hence, all the sprinklers/popsicles/cuddles until then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
- run 4x - FAIL only ran 3x and they all sucked
- ride 2x maybe 3x (if I have to ride to the games on Sun) - WIN and good except for the HEAT (30+degC on Sunday riding home from Football - mid afternoon - got just cooked, ugh - call the waaambulance...)
- coach 3x (2 sessions and 4 games on Sun) - DONE
- drills/core/weights/skipping 1-2x - I already did one session but I'd like to try and get one more in.... - DONE and pretty proud of myself :-)
- be more diligent about taking my asthma meds - DONE
- drink more water (legs cramping at night, usually this is the main cause). - DONE

This week:
- get over this run suckiness - it just feels so not good, so slow and lethargic, dead legs... try for 4x and be happy with 3.
- ride 2x
- coach 3x
- drill/skipping/core - 2x
- more diligence on food - getting a bit lax and having the GI issues returning, part of what (I'm certain) is contributing to the suckiness when running (hard to have enough energy when you aren't digesting properly)

I am now getting quite concerned re: Berlin. I know I can handle the skate part - the ramp-up for that is not as steep, but the whole thought of training for running a marathon with 21 weeks to go... I need some motivation.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 2 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motivation... do you usually follow a training plan? (I get excited looking at those)

I'm tempted to say "it's a super cool race, you nut!" but that's not very empathetic of me ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I do a rough plan - weekly long run targets or whatever is the key work out(s) of the week. I'll be honest, I am finding the coaching really exhausting. Last year it was 2hrs each on Thursday eves + Sat mornings, this year they added 2hrs on Tues eve. I know part of me is using this as an excuse (I am a procrastinator extraordinaire!) but I am really beat by the time I get home (here's my thursday's right now: up at 6, run the dog, coffee, ride to work - 1h; work 7hr; ride home - 1hr; shower, snack, get in car, drive to field - 20min; set-up field; coach 2hrs; clean up field/talk with parents; get home at 8:30, eat dinner, try to relax and/or get organized for the next day; get to bed maybe by 11). If I try to switch my morning run to Friday, it's even worse.

I keep telling myself "once football is done, *then* I can really start running..." but by then, I will have 15 weeks to go. Which basically means getting to 18-20mi in 12 weeks. So now I'm wondering if it's worth it... (plus the $$$ to fly/hotel)... but I also know I'll be pissed at myself for not. Gaaahhh!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you skip the bike commute & get in a run that way?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 2 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually think that's a good idea - I can take the train half way, and run the rest of the way; take transit home. You are SMRT :-) Could even work my way back thru to earlier stations as I progress. Plus running in the am is my thing (hate running after work - NOT my thing).

Thanks!

Ap

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let us know how it goes. I'm not a morning workout person, but getting it done earlier in the day might help mentally as much as the actual training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with this one - because of the commitment to ultras this year, I've had to basically give up on all but a couple of fun, easy rides. If weather is amenable, I bring a bike to work & ride ~8k on my lunch + ~12k after work to my mom's on Wednesdays (doing so today), and ~10k to the farmers' market on Saturdays. I even get a lift home from the market because my husband drives down & I live on top of a huge hill that would sap my legs for Saturday afternoon long runs.

I am a weenie. I admit it.

I've had to cancel the idea of doing our town's annual cycle touring event this year, too, since it's the day after the 50k I just transferred into and I know I won't be up for it. That will be a "go for a hike and try to do a short run" day instead.

Priorities. I just want to be able to make it through the 12hr without the crippling pain I ended up in partway through a horribly-undertrained 50k last October, and cycling doesn't fit in the plan right now.

Quote | Reply
You gals are right - priorities. I remember basically stopping my riding when ramping up for Comrades, so why did I expect any different eh? :-)

Thanks again all, I feel a little bit more confident.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello!

I've finally gotten back into the swing of things. I take a HIITS class 3x/week at the gym and I really like it. There's at most 6 of us in the class and the trainer is really fun. I'm wiped at the end of every class.

I'm struggling with my weight still and so I started seeing a nutritionist. The pounds aren't budging despite being careful with my food. She has me on a gluten free diet for 2 weeks then I'll re-introduce it. I really really hope gluten doesn't bother me. Being a gf vegan will be really tough.

With my knee surgery scheduled for November I still have time to get stronger and lighter. The stronger is on track but unfortunately the lighter isn't. I'll keep trying...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 2 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome back!
I'm glad you found something like the HIITS class which you love. You go!

I started seeing a nutritionist too. Mainly because I was having IBS type symptoms and my anemia (must take a daily supplement, plus an extra one 3x per week, and if I get slack, in a few weeks I notice) plus some other issues. It's not cheap, since insurance doesn't cover it but I feel really good about the woman I'm working with and hoping to see improvements!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay! That's awesome that you've found an outlet :-) Those are so tough... good on ya.

Hope gluten doesn't bother you too - but keep in mind a lot of gluten-rich foods are often high in calories and low in nutrition, so you may see changes due to the type of calories consumed as opposed to an actual gluten sensitivity. Do you have GI issues at all? The only reason I'm throwing this out there is my GP thought the same thing with me, even tho I did not test positive for celiac. Eliminating gluten made me feel a bit better and I lost some weight, but it didn't resolve my real issue for GI problems. Do you eat a lot of gluten-rich stuff today? Is this really a huge shift in your diet?

J/curious.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! I am happy to "see" you!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's trying to rule out a chronic inflammatory response to gluten. I honestly don't think it is an issue but I'll try. So far I haven't dropped a lot of weight and I'm 1.5 weeks in :-)

I do typically eat a fair amount of gluten. Whole grain breads for sandwiches, pasta not too often but I love a pile of it once or twice a month. When I eat processed protein it is typically in the form of wheat gluten.

I always struggled with GI problems when I was running. Every time I went out I had to plan around a bathroom. Since I'm not running anymore I don't have any GI issues.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 2 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My insurance doesn't cover mine either :-( I'm getting back on track for my macros but I think she has me on too many calories. She wants me to eat 1600 and create the deficit via exercise. 3x/week doing HIITS is all my knee can handle. Even swimming hurts because of the knee flexion.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya re:running route with bathrooms ... I gotta "empty on all fronts" before I head out the door and almost always stop at least once after 1hr. I find as I get older, and have reined in some of the GI issues that it's the bladder that is more the problem now. Can't win eh? :-)

How much longer is your gf trial again? I'll be curious if you notice any other effects.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next