Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$100 carbon crank arms? Cool!
Quote | Reply
http://www.bikerumor.com/...carbon-construction/

IIRC, this is essentially the same process Shimano uses to make its carbon pedal bodies. I certainly wouldn't call it "forging" but hopefully it pans out and we see some light, durable, and inexpensive bike products in the future from a wider adoption of this process.
Quote Reply
Re: $100 carbon crank arms? Cool! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is very cool. I would easily spend $140 for a carbon crank and spider. Hmmmm. Though, an upgraded crank is near the bottom of my priority list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weight and cost are both kind of devil is in the details situations.

Crank - 435g $100
Spider - 65g $39
Bottom bracket - 90g $35
Chainrings and bolts - 150g $135

Total 740g $309

I'm not saying what they're doing isn't cool or innovative but not as cheap as first glance.
Quote Reply
Re: $100 carbon crank arms? Cool! [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get lighter for less money so I do not feel these are a great deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's basically similar to the fiberglass reinforced nylon used in lower end cycling shoes; just use a slightly different resin and swap out the glass fibers for carbon ones.

This type of construction has been around for decades (my old AeroSpoke wheel used something similar). I wonder if the resins have gotten strong enough that it can be applied to a wider variety of parts. At some point it becomes a really cheap way to make frames.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: $100 carbon crank arms? Cool! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's exactly what I was thinking with regards to frames.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kirk Precision did a molded magnesium bike back in the early 90s. The (one) issue was they were trying to make high-end racers when the real market is cranking out lots of entry-level bikes to amortize the mold and take advantage of the labor savings.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who are skeptical of the process used to make these cranks, it seems that this process has been used by Campy for a while in the creation of their carbon cranks:

http://engineering.stackexchange.com/questions/2333/forged-carbon-fibre-finish
Quote Reply
Re: $100 carbon crank arms? Cool! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Kirk Precision did a molded magnesium bike back in the early 90s. The (one) issue was they were trying to make high-end racers when the real market is cranking out lots of entry-level bikes to amortize the mold and take advantage of the labor savings.

I bet THAT would look exciting sliding across the pavement after a crash!
Quote Reply
Re: $100 carbon crank arms? Cool! [coreyasaur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It gets even better when the water from your bottles gets into the mix :O

I had a pair of Time magnesium pedals in the 90's; evidently scraping isn't enough to ignite the system.

One place I worked we did Mg casting. The whole setup was on rails so if it lit up it would roll out to a cement pad and just burn itself out. That's about all you can do once it gets going.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was seriously considering getting a pair of these, however I'm definitely going to pass.

I posted a question on their FB page inquiring as to if they'd be willing to send one of their cranks to Fairwheel for testing, and I posted a link to their crank review. I also stated that, while I'm interested in their product, I'm not keen on buying things that lack data behind them.

This was the reply I received:

"That is what a 400 dollar crank? made of the same material, that is partially hollow with a much more slim profile. Ours are solid, beefier and again same material. The reassuring blanket you seek is already wrapped around you friend..."

The crank the individual is referring to is a Campy crank that was the thumbnail of the article I posted. Basically seems they didn't even read the article, and I cannot help but interpret that last sentence as rather condescending.
Quote Reply
Re: $100 carbon crank arms? Cool! [Synnove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it seems like they have a steep PR curve to climb with the cycling community.
Quote Reply