Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Indoor Trainer Tire Recommendation (wide rim)
Quote | Reply
A quick question for those that spend some serious time on the indoor trainer and use a trainer specific tire.

Are there any that are easier to mount and remove on a wider rim (23+MM) as I find that it is a huge pain to switch the Continental on and off (very tight fit), and I see that Tacx, Cycleops, and Vittoria also make indoor trainer options.

Open to suggestions from anyone with experience!
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainer Tire Recommendation (wide rim) [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a trainer specific rim all set up, sans cogset. that i switch back and forth, although for $60 i should just get a trainer specific one.

Brooklyn Tri Dad
https://www.facebook.com/brooklyntridad/?ref=hl
http://brooklyntridad.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/BrooklynTriDad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using the same wheel for the trainer and your outdoor rides with regular tyre changes???

It might be worth getting a cheap wheel and cassette specifically for the trainer, or if you have an old one lying around just use that.
It's much, much easier to swap wheels than tyres. Doesn't need to be a wide rim either. You won't need your brakes on the trainer so no adjustment needed and a narrow rim will work fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a cheap wheel/cogset off of CL and used the continental trainer tire on my Cyclops Fluid Pro, which I ride religiously. I replaced the tire with the cycleops version when the continental got too squeaky, in all I feel like the cycleops tire is better but they are both fine for trainer use. It is way easier just to swap the entire wheel out when switching between road and trainer than it is to change the tire each time.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainer Tire Recommendation (wide rim) [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should have noted that I ride a powertap, so swapping the wheel isn't ideal.

I have the same rear wheel without a powertap that I can easily use for group rides outside if I'm not worrying about specific intervals, however, I just thought that if I'm looking at a new indoor trainer specific tire, that perhaps one might be easier to swap on and off if I want power inside and out.

Appreciate the responses!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat as you (using powertap inside & outside) I just use an old retired road tire on the trainer. super easy to swap out as its been stretched by a few thousand road miles. Really don't see the need for a trainer specific tire
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainer Tire Recommendation (wide rim) [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always found that the normal road tire starts to almost disintegrate, leaving small rubber particles on the trainer.

Maybe I have the fly wheel clamped too tight and this doesn't happen if that's not the case?
Quote Reply