Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Espresso machine [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
callidus wrote:
Aeropress + hand grinder + freshly roasted beans are all you need.

on race day i would agree. can make it in your hotel room easy peezy.
Only limitation is you cant pull a proper shot with them, but its as close as you're going to get in something portable.

For those complaining about the time for the big dual boiler machines to heat up i strongly suggest getting a wifi wall timer. Can set it to auto turn on in the morning so you can just wake up and its ready to steam right away. Handy as well as you can simply pop into the app while you're riding home, turn it on, and by the time you're home its ready to go.

I bought this on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/...i_detailpage_o02_s00

Turns it on at 4am. Off at 2pm.

If you have a bunch of wifi plugs, that's a great option also. But if you just want something simple, this works.

i picked up a belkin WeMo adapter. $45, great app. Can turn on from anywhere. Plus you can monitor power usage, which was interesting as i thought the machine would draw a LOT more power than it actually is. Mine kicks on around 430ish right now and off at 745am as i'm out the door to work. weekends its on at 630 and off at 130pm.
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jura C60. It's my baby. I figure it saves me a ton of money because it makes the expresso at Starbucks suck. I almost never order coffee out. Best 899$ I ever spent!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience with a manual conical burr grinder? How do they compare to the expensive electronic conical burrs? Do you recommend one particular brand over another?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
i picked up a belkin WeMo adapter. $45, great app. Can turn on from anywhere. Plus you can monitor power usage, which was interesting as i thought the machine would draw a LOT more power than it actually is. Mine kicks on around 430ish right now and off at 745am as i'm out the door to work. weekends its on at 630 and off at 130pm.

I've got the same thing on my Rocket. I used to set my alarm to get up a half hour early, turn on the machine, and then snooze for half an hour. Now I can set it up on a programmable schedule pretty easily. It's also nice that I can flip it on when I leave work, so that it's warmed up by the time I get home.
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dbikelink wrote:
Does anyone have experience with a manual conical burr grinder? How do they compare to the expensive electronic conical burrs? Do you recommend one particular brand over another?

Thanks

Are you talking "big" manual - like the HG-1 or Pharos - or "small" - like the Hario Skerton or Porlex?

If you're talking about big manuals, it seems to be a pure matter of personal preference that's largely aesthetic. Plus a desire, often, to single dose.

The small manuals seem okay. Surely lots of people use them daily. But they often have relatively limited adjustments. Take a relatively long time to grind. And the burrs are quite small; burr size is a whole debate in and of itself; you read through any of the umpteen threads on home barista. Most of the folks that I know who have small manuals use them with an aeropress when they travel.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a small Hario Skerton hand grinder. It works great for my Clever or aeropress grinds, but it does take nearly 5 minutes to grind a cup's worth. Based on that, I'm saving up to get an electric version one day, but for now I'll get extra exercise. It does make me appreciate the drink more. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dbikelink wrote:

Thanks

I use a Lido 2 hand grinder for coffee (not espresso) - works great! I used a Clever Coffee Dripper or Aeropress to make the coffee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello quickguru and All,

A cup of coffee:

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/.../08/25/your-covfefe/

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next