Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? April 25 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 25 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for asking and for starting this post, TigerChik.

All is well over here. I've kicked my lingering sniffles and am back in action. Last week I did the following:

2 rest days following a race - one day was complete rest with activity limited to walking my pup and foam rolling; the other day I did some easy yoga.
3 swims (2 pool, 1 open water) - open water swim was the biggest, choppiest swim I've experienced in my short swimming career. I felt like I was inside a washing machine trying to get in and out.
1 trainer ride - nothing special
1 bike ride* - 90 minutes of hill climbing after my open water swim. Not exactly a brick since I changed and had coffee but getting closer.
2 strength sessions - goal was 3 but the extra rest day threw off my schedule
2 runs - one really solid track session and a slow ten miler for SundayRunday :)

*On Sunday, I also took a short bike ride to try out my new (to me) tri bike. I am new to riding in aero and it was an adventure. My next race is May 7, which is likely too soon to ride the new (to me) tri bike but I am very excited since it'll be a big step up from what I'd been riding when I have it dialed in.

I hope everyone has a great week! :D

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
goals for this week:
15 hrs of dissertation work did 11.5, which was just enough to make sure I spent more time on my dissertation than I did working out.
study an hour a day at least (M-W) for midterm done; midterm went ok. will get grades tomorrow
swim 6x (1 done) 7 ! 10.2k
day off from running nope, ran 60 mi
ride bike at least once :P done! short but done! about 2 miles... it was an errand
get bike receipt from fixing to insurance :-) done! looking forward to getting that $900 back

I have been dogsitting for a dean for the past three days - they get back today - 3 dogs. They took the fourth with them. It was very busy but I had a productive weekend, as I had to be at the house with the dogs.

My parents got 6 bantam bard rock chicks yesterday. They are TINY and so cute! We have 4 chickens, and I'm excited about these little gals.

My kitten was spayed last week, which meant we could legally adopt her (you can't adopt in Maine until the pets are spayed). She is all mine and no one can take her away. :-)

So things are good. Goals for this week
15 hrs of dissertation work... really.
bike twice
swim 6x
day off from running
so, the usual. :-)
have a good week everyone!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My week was a success on the cycling front. Riding in a group forced my bike handling to improve; I'm now way better than I was at dealing with a succession of traffic lights, holding a line and pointing out potholes etc on the road. Small steps. I would have liked to ride more but I am still being careful about not pushing my knee too much. I actually had to regress on my run-walk program so that wasn't good but I'm trying to stay positive. We had gorgeous weather - 30C and sunny so my tan lines are now all over the place!

This week: final push for the kitchen to be done - we are thinking Wednesday supper will be the inaugural meal. Aiming for 3 runs, 3 trainer rides and one club ride where I try to hold on to the wheel in front for dear life, 3 swims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
swim x 3: FAIL. 2 only
bike x 2: eeh, 1 lunch ride + 1 after work ride for <21k total = FAIL.
run x 5: win with 6
core/strength x 4: win

I went from feeling quite strong on a 2h45m rooty, rocky trail run with 1,500ft of elevation gain Saturday to completely wiped out and barely able to kick my ass out the door for a 12k run on a flat rail trail on Sunday. I'm blaming the cold I've been fighting, missing my iron supplements on Saturday (plus my 2nd dose on Friday), and horomones - I always feel very weak in the day or two before my cycle. Was just as exhausted yesterday, though I did manage another 12k road run.

Of course I didn't get any photos of the technical bits (as I was trying not to land on my head), but you can see that things are getting greener. This was Saturday at the Hydrocut, a local system of mountain bike trails with 25km of singletrack full of log piles, rock gardens and gorgeous flow. I'd been out on my mountain bike there before (despite being woefully underqualified to ride most of it), but this was my first run there - definitely won't be my last.

This week's goals:
swim x 2
bike x 1
run x 4
core/strength x 4

My husband's birthday is tomorrow so we'll be going out to dinner with my mum tomorrow evening to celebrate - no way I'll be training when we get home or bringing my bike to work, but I hope to bring some running kit in with me to get a quick trot in on my lunch break.

Quote | Reply
Not bad! I had hoped to get in one more run but was TOO tired on Sunday from two rides (one MTB, one road).

So, swam 2x - ~8,000 yds total
Ran 26 mi total, 5x, got the 'long' run out to 8mi
Biked 4x, 3 outdoor, one trainer (which was a super easy post run 35 min spin to see if it helped my legs, which it did!)
Strength train - fail
did my PT exercises 5x (should be daily, oh well)

This week:
more of similar.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 25 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My husband's bday is tomorrow too!!!
We'll go out to eat the two of us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad - all things considered: I did overindulge a few evenings so I certainly didn't get as much done in the mornings as I wanted and it was my cycle-week so I am always lower energy those days. I'll take it.

last week's plan:
- run 3x - try one "long" (1h20) run but be ready to abort early if needed - DONE although all were <40min
- ride 2x - DONE and feeling pretty good
- coach 3x (next set of 4 games is on Sat) - DONE and we won 3 (lost 1 game by 1 point).
- sign off the HELOC/Refi on the house tomorrow and start seriously looking for the magic place in the middle of nowhere (bit of a unicorn, but I know it exists!) - DONE (paperworks) not so much looking. Tear-down houses just up the street from us are going for over 950K. Our market is INSANE right now. Very tempting to just sell.... :-)

This week:
- run 4x
- ride 2x maybe 3x (if I have to ride to the games on Sun)
- coach 3x (2 sessions and 4 games on Sun)
- drills/core/weights/skipping 1-2x - I already did one session but I'd like to try and get one more in....
- be more diligent about taking my asthma meds
- drink more water (legs cramping at night, usually this is the main cause).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply