Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pool Swim Clothing Dilemma
Quote | Reply
I have a sprint tri with a pool swim on Saturday. I have your typical low budget Tyr 2 piece trisuit that I wear normally under my wetsuit. I wore it for this tri last year and didn't like the feeling of the top billowing about me in the pool (and I don't need anything to make my swim slower). I could wear a swimsuit and pull the shorts on in T1, but that slows down my transition, plus I'll then be running in just a swimsuit and trishorts, and while I don't have much up top to bounce, I'd be happier running in the tritop. What should I do? I'm not going to buy anything new just for this one tri. Which would be better/faster?
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Swim Clothing Dilemma [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done the swimsuit/shorts combo in the past. Swim in the shorts & then you don't have to worry about changing.

I am pretty flat chested though - so running was comfortable. You could always put a light sports bra under your bathing suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a cute sports bra that is opaque when wet? You could do the race in that and tri shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd do what HS suggested -- tri shorts and sports bra in the pool, throw on a shirt or tank (just make sure it's stretchy) in transition if you want to. I've done this a couple times for longer races when I wanted to put on an actual bike jersey in T1 or when I would be too cold racing in just a tri top.

Or maybe tuck your tri top into your shorts? It should be tight enough that it doesn't billow.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Swim Clothing Dilemma [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
I have done the swimsuit/shorts combo in the past. Swim in the shorts & then you don't have to worry about changing.

I am pretty flat chested though - so running was comfortable. You could always put a light sports bra under your bathing suit.

Leave it to me to overthink this! I never thought about just wearing the shorts and the swimsuit for the swim too. That should work. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Swim Clothing Dilemma [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
Do you have a cute sports bra that is opaque when wet? You could do the race in that and tri shorts.

My 46 year old self probably wants more coverage than that, but yes, that's an option.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Swim Clothing Dilemma [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
I'd do what HS suggested -- tri shorts and sports bra in the pool, throw on a shirt or tank (just make sure it's stretchy) in transition if you want to. I've done this a couple times for longer races when I wanted to put on an actual bike jersey in T1 or when I would be too cold racing in just a tri top.

Or maybe tuck your tri top into your shorts? It should be tight enough that it doesn't billow.

I tried tucking it in last year once I hopped in the pool and it floated up to my chest but it didn't stay tucked in. But yes, I think either wearing the suit and shorts or maybe the bra and shorts would work. Probably going to be chilly on the bike so I may be wearing my light windbreaker over whatever I end up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
happyscientist wrote:

My 46 year old self probably wants more coverage than that, but yes, that's an option.
I am 43 and don't have a taut stomach, but I do as midtown miles suggested and throw on a loose shirt in T1. People can deal with my jiggly belly for a few seconds. One of the great things about triathlon is that it has taught me to be less body concious
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found that for me, in the pool, most sport bras will scoop water in the front (result of monoboobing/lowcut bras - which most do/are). If I'm going to wear a swim suit and not a tritop, trisuit or similar high-necked outfit, I like to wear the sports bra UNDER my swim suit. I just swim in the tri shorts over the suit. One of my better sprint results came on a HOT day (and I don't do well in the heat) with sports bra + 1pce speedo swimsuit + tri shorts for the whole sheebang. Only had to worry about feet/head that way and was v. comfy :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
I have a sprint tri with a pool swim on Saturday. I have your typical low budget Tyr 2 piece trisuit that I wear normally under my wetsuit. I wore it for this tri last year and didn't like the feeling of the top billowing about me in the pool (and I don't need anything to make my swim slower). I could wear a swimsuit and pull the shorts on in T1, but that slows down my transition, plus I'll then be running in just a swimsuit and trishorts, and while I don't have much up top to bounce, I'd be happier running in the tritop. What should I do? I'm not going to buy anything new just for this one tri. Which would be better/faster?

Just to wrap this up, I went with the one piece and tri shorts and it worked out great. Even ran in just the suit and shorts. Thanks for all the advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad it worked out well!!
Quote Reply
Re: Pool Swim Clothing Dilemma [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suggest you practice putting on whatever shirt you chose when you & your swimsuit are wet. It is not the same as when dry. Oddly, some shirts work better pulled up from feet first.

Such a Bad Runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thread! I'm teaching a beginner tri class at our local college next month and I know this is going to be one of the first questions they ask. I had been thinking through the different options and now it makes more sense.
Quote Reply