Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Espresso machine [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions to upgrade my gaggia MDF grinder? I strongly dislike the doser-type grinders... It's a freaking pain.

How much you want to spend? I'd say, based off what I've been able to learn, that the cheapest *good* espresso grinder is the Compak K3, which is also doserless (a plus in my book) at ~$550. https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/...ch-doserless-grinder

There are decent grinders for less than that, sure. But it seems like anything less is a "...but you'll want to upgrade eventually" type of purchase. The K3 seems to be good enough to pair with a machine of any caliber without being a limiter. I have not been able to find anything cheaper than the K3 that seems to be 1) reliable and 2) capable.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For that range, if you're considering machine alone, also consider crossland CC1. If this is cost for machine AND grinder make sure you have room for ~$300-350 on grinder. The new Baratza Sette grinders look to be very good, and the Rancilio Rocky offers a lot of bang for buck in the espresso world (go doserless). FWIW I have a gaggia classic, rancilio rocky, and then run all my other coffee through a baratza virtuoso (it's normal to have espresso and then different coffees for pour over, aeropress, etc. in your home, right?). All equipment is at least 5 years old and has held up well.
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What those automatic grinder have that manual grinder like this one don't?

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/hario-skeleton-skerton-coffee-mill
Last edited by: quickguru: Apr 21, 16 13:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coffee snob checking in.

Best way to enjoy coffee is black, brewed. Not fancy fluff espresso drinks.

Best way to brew coffee is a $40 French press and a $20 grinder.

You guys are throwing money away on stuff that gives you inferior coffee taste. That's nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ please.

coffee snob checking in as well.
Brewtus IV rotary pump plumbed in, paired with a Mahlkonig k30 vario grinder. I use an aeropress when on the road.

All of the things above above buying a good grinder are on point. It's kind of like lenses and bodies of cameras.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Gaggia Accademia, Gaggia Titanium, Gaggia Classic, and a Nespresso for backup.

The Accademia is pretty good, except for the capacity of the drop tray and dredge drawer. It complains about something all the time (clean drip tray, refill water tank, coffee beans empty etc.)
The titanium was better capacity wise, both are "beans to cup"
The Gaggia Classic is more manual work but I feel like I have more control over everything. But you have to grind the coffee yourself. I kind of like that whole process though, it feels like I am crafting my coffee instead of just pressing a button.

The Nespresso is obviously very convenient, and the coffee pods are actually pretty good. It's more expensive to run though, and you don't get that feeling of control and the "hand crafted" element.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you're looking to dip your toe into the pool (and its a very deep pool....believe me) I suggest going used. you can get a lot of machine for very good pricing, and as long as you get it checked over (any decent shop can do this) it should be no issue.

a lot of people seem to buy espresso makers picturing this life where they sip lattes on their porch in the morning sun, and it never gets used and winds up on craigslist 6-12 months later barely used. Seize that opportunity.
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
if you're looking to dip your toe into the pool (and its a very deep pool....believe me) I suggest going used. you can get a lot of machine for very good pricing, and as long as you get it checked over (any decent shop can do this) it should be no issue.

a lot of people seem to buy espresso makers picturing this life where they sip lattes on their porch in the morning sun, and it never gets used and winds up on craigslist 6-12 months later barely used. Seize that opportunity.

Or open box. There are some really good deals on open box machines as well.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
a lot of people seem to buy espresso makers picturing this life where they sip lattes on their porch in the morning sun

Yes that is basically my life. Except in winter I sit inside, next to the deck but not on it. Usually in the sun

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also looking to upgrade my set up. I've had a Gaggia Baby Class and Gaggia 8002 MDF Grinder. The grinder seems alright, however, its all I know and the most expensive grinder I've owned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is only one choice, and that choice is Nespresso!

The best part of their offering is the number of varieties they have for you to choose from. I think they're up to around 14 different varieties now and it really makes a difference. They have an easy way to recycle pods and ship the pods easily as well.

It's certainly worth a look!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another coffee snob here.

The grinder and FRESH BEANS really are key, you can make great espresso with a good grinder, good beans and a entry level espresso machine.

I have a Rocket r58 paired with a Eureka Mignon Instantanio. Highly recommend the grinder for the price.
I have a lot pricier Elektra that collects dust because its a doser and makes a mess, the grind quality might be a touch better but I enjoy the convenience of the doser less.

I also have a aeropress, french press, percolator, kuerig, moka pot, drip filter and my personal preference is espresso or long black, and a flat white in the evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a few cheap-er espresso units over the years, but seem to have stepped up my espresso making abilities with the Breville Barista Express.

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/...ess-espresso-machine

I like that the grinder is built into the package, the pressure gauge is great for getting a feedback on the grind size and tamp pressure, and most importantly, I think it can make a decent cup.

It's certainly in your price range too!
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [trainlighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trainlighter wrote:

The best part of their offering is the number of varieties they have for you to choose from. I think they're up to around 14 different varieties now and it really makes a difference. They have an easy way to recycle pods and ship the pods easily as well.

wrong wrong wrong, just plain wrong
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
trainlighter wrote:

wrong wrong wrong, just plain wrong

I see, an artist... While I'll admit that a pulled espresso from an expert hand is pretty damn unbeatable, I am not that hand and dropping a pod into one of those machines is too easy to pass up. In fact, I average about 6 daily!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not automatic, but there's always this.

http://www.target.com/...FUw&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's what I use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on fresh beans, closer to the roasting date makes a huge difference.

A double boiler allows one to brew a latte or mocha in quick succession, otherwise a single boiler will have you waiting about 2 minutes for steam for the milk. Also, doing any succession of pull shot, froth, pull shot--goes to hell with a single boiler.

I have a Rancilio Silvia & a Rocky Rancilio grinder. No regrets, but wish I had sprung for the higher end, semi commercial double boiler model.

You will never regret spending more money on a higher quality expresso machine (unless your afib is a pre-existing condition).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trainlighter wrote:

STOP IT!

Having a Nespresso is like masturbating, where a good espresso is like having good sex with a beautiful woman.

Plus, coffee is only black. Coffee flavors is the worst thing that happened to coffee.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone needs a little instant gratification once and a while...

Seriously, when I said varieties I meant that as different types of coffee beans, not vanilla, hazelnut, etc. if you find yourself in a store that has their machines try a couple of their shots for the sake of argument.

I get it, there's no romance in dropping a pod into a machine and then push one little button for your shot. That said, I've had other, more expensive machines and also tried espresso shots at tons of coffee shops. Rarely, outside of Italy that is, have I found a better consistent shot of espresso than via my Nespresso machine. Their coffee quality is excellent, there's a nice crema on the top of the shot and no matter what style of coffee you like they've got you covered.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off for my morning masturbation.
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nuff said.......

Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
RONDAL wrote:

Or open box. There are some really good deals on open box machines as well.

Good point. Open box is actually how I got my grinder.
A friend bought a store demo model saved over 40% on a machine that would sit and be used for the odd demo over a 12mth span.
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [Cooker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cooker wrote:
+1 on fresh beans, closer to the roasting date makes a huge difference.

A double boiler allows one to brew a latte or mocha in quick succession, otherwise a single boiler will have you waiting about 2 minutes for steam for the milk. Also, doing any succession of pull shot, froth, pull shot--goes to hell with a single boiler.

I have a Rancilio Silvia & a Rocky Rancilio grinder. No regrets, but wish I had sprung for the higher end, semi commercial double boiler model.

You will never regret spending more money on a higher quality expresso machine (unless your afib is a pre-existing condition).

i have a Silvia with PID and no longer steam as i suck at doing latte art; which reminds me, anyone wants to show off their latte art work?

also, weighing your grinds is very important to consistency of your espresso
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trainlighter wrote:

Just. Say. NO!

14 different varieties? With a real espresso machine you have thousands if not millions.
You go buy beans, either from large producer or small roasters, and you grind them and extract.
You can dial in the flavor and do some pretty incredible things.

There will come a time in your life where you will try a shot of espresso that truly is life changing. Mine happened to be from a slayer single group so my life is now ruined. The sweetness, the buttery smoothness. Changes the way you taste and see coffee. You simply can't do that with a machine where everything is preset. The guys in the factories making the pods are simply trying to mimic the fresh espresso taste. Or you could just go pull a shot of fresh espresso.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like you, I'm also ruined for life by the perfect pull of espresso. It happened to me the first time I tried one in Florence, Italy and I'll always remember it! Because of that shot I now really only drink espresso and average around 6 shots daily.

Since then, I've had very few shots that could come close to nirvana. Instead, it's a frustrating experience of almost or not even close to what I expect when trying shots. I've owned several different types of machines and tried countless different beans as well (Illy remains my favorite). Maybe I just don't have the skill set to make a good shot but I really do know what to expect and Nespresso delivers a really good shot with a beautiful crema.

Stop by a store that will allow you to try a shot and make sure to ask for the OriginalLine. I'm not kidding, you'll be impressed. They may be pods but after a little research you'll find its not just some lame Keurig, it is indeed the real deal.

Finally, a shout out to my favorite espresso shot in the US. If ever you're in Long Beach on 2nd St in Belmont Shore, stop by Aroma Di Roma. They deliver a beautiful shot and their dry cappuccino is divine.
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
I have had a few cheap-er espresso units over the years, but seem to have stepped up my espresso making abilities with the Breville Barista Express.

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/...ess-espresso-machine

I like that the grinder is built into the package, the pressure gauge is great for getting a feedback on the grind size and tamp pressure, and most importantly, I think it can make a decent cup.

It's certainly in your price range too!

We have this machine and it is Very good. Not sexy Italian but well made and reliable. Easy to clean too. The only thing which can catch you out is that the filter basket is smaller than most (54mm I think - most are 58) and so you can't get yourself a fancy after-market tamper unless you're very lucky. Or you have enough $$ for a Chris King - they come in different sizes. According to two friends of mine who're in the coffee business, a deeper/smaller basket enables a better result from a modest machine and (importantly) without much barista expertise.
Quote Reply

Prev Next