Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Espresso machine
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I know that's a strange topics but I'm sure that there is here a lot of coffee lovers. And, as a good triathlete, I would like to choose what is at the extreme edge of the technology ;)

In fact, I would like to know if you have good recommendation for a good semi-auto, pump driven espresso machine in the 500-1000$ price range.

I heard that the Gaggia Classic and the Rancilio Silvia was really good, is there anything new/best on the market right now? Any opinions is appreciate!

Thanks!
Fred
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super happy with my gaggia classic for the last 3 years. No complaints. Feel like I'm missing nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good choices for that price range. 1k should get you into a Sylvia and a rocky grinder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A topic that rivals the passion I have for triathlon...

Have you tried an aeropress? http://www.aeropress.com/ https://worldaeropresschampionship.com/recipes/

But have a DÄ“Longhi PrimaDonna at the office which isn't too bad either.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just gonna leave this here: http://slayerespresso.com/...ngle-group-espresso/

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quickguru wrote:

I know that's a strange topics

Coffee is never OT.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [Howlandm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howlandm wrote:
Super happy with my gaggia classic for the last 3 years. No complaints. Feel like I'm missing nothing.

This. It's like the entry-level standard (flame suit on for the coffee snobs). I bought my Classic at the beginning of last semester and have pulled a minimum of two doubles hots a day—the thing is perfect.

I also use a moka pot and an aeropress pretty regularly. Aeropress is awesome, but it's less convenient (IMO) than a moka pot or a shot from an espresso machine. If I had a way to heat water up more efficiently, it might be a different answer, but it's still a great tool nonetheless.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy26: Apr 21, 16 5:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the silvia / rocky grinder as well as an aeropress and french press. I think all are great, and I tend to cycle through them based on what we feel like - and realistically once you spend the money on the machine the other ones are really quite cheap. From what I've read, don't skimp on the grinder ether, rule of thumb is spending 50-70% of the cost of a machine on the grinder. I have doserless type because I think its more flexible for filling the aeropress and the french press.

I and my fiancee love the silvia because I have my 2 shots of espresso early before I head to swim, and then she gets up and has a lattee. I find the silvia slightly more forgiving for bean quality too. But we love the aeropress when we go camping, and some weekends I like the french press if we have friends over for brunch because its way quicker then pulling 5 shots separately.

The Silvia we have used almost everyday for 5 years and have had no problems with, I love how heavy it is relative the the Gaggia, its a solid brass heater and when you pull of the top all the piping inside is metal - I think its great quality and highly recommend it - I also think its totally paid for itself - I think we spend 1100 or 1200 Can, but amortized over 5 years and how much less coffee I buy, totally worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spend your money on a grinder, and get the best machine you can with the $$ that is left. You can always mod and/or upgrade the machine later.

An amazing machine w/ shit grinder = bad espresso. A great grinder w/ a decent machine = quality, and you can make noticeable adjustments to grind, tamp pressure, etc.

Good bets for grinders are Rancilio, Baratza, and Mazzer ($$). Rancilio Rocky is a sure bet.

Machines, I'd look into something refurbished from Seattle Coffee Gear or Whole Latte Love. Gaggia Classic is a great start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my La Nuovo Era Cuadra. In fact I'm sitting on an incredible cappuccino right now. It's slightly above your top range, but it's a step above the others mentioned. But be sure to spend many hundreds on a good grinder. I personally have a Mazzer Mini.
Last edited by: tigermilk: Apr 21, 16 6:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the Silvia and Rocky for ten years and love it. The Sylvia is a good machine to start off with - it is relatively forgiving. And down the road if you really get into it, there are plenty of mods available to fine-tune its output. The machine had given me no trouble, and the Rocky is a great grinder.

I haven't looked at it recently, but when I got mine, Whole Latte Love had a package deal that also included a nice stainless steel base that serves as a storage area and knock-box.

Kevin

~Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gaggia Classic and Rocky grinder. Daily use for the past 3 plus years with just routine maintenance. I agree with other posters- the grinder is the key. Add a Blue Bottle subscription and you are all set.
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get a machine with PID

Also, note that some heat exchanger machines arent descalable at home
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 21, 16 7:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quickguru wrote:
Hi,

I know that's a strange topics but I'm sure that there is here a lot of coffee lovers. And, as a good triathlete, I would like to choose what is at the extreme edge of the technology ;)

In fact, I would like to know if you have good recommendation for a good semi-auto, pump driven espresso machine in the 500-1000$ price range.

I heard that the Gaggia Classic and the Rancilio Silvia was really good, is there anything new/best on the market right now? Any opinions is appreciate!

Thanks!
Fred

I had a Breville Infuser for three years before upgrading to a Rocket, and I'd buy it again. That said, if I was starting the process with what I know, I'd probably go with the Rancilio pair - https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/...ocky-grinder-package

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rancilio Silvia, hands down. I've owned that one, and an S24 which is a semi-commercial model. Both pull great shots. Also consider the used market - you might be able to find a semi-commercial Rancilio which is going to have a double boiler, meaning you can pull shots and steam at the same time, which a Silvia can't do. Hard to go back after that (like buying a Toyota after driving a Porsche).
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [mblocher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mblocher wrote:
Rancilio Silvia, hands down. I've owned that one, and an S24 which is a semi-commercial model. Both pull great shots. Also consider the used market - you might be able to find a semi-commercial Rancilio which is going to have a double boiler, meaning you can pull shots and steam at the same time, which a Silvia can't do. Hard to go back after that (like buying a Toyota after driving a Porsche).

I don't think the real benefit of a double boiler is that you can do both at the same time. I can't ever imagine doing both simultaneously. I think it's that the whole processes are separate. And that has two primary benefits:

- the steam is basically on-demand with a dual boiler system. Turn the knob, get steam. And - most critically, IMO - get GOOD steam. The steam on the single boiler machines is just not as... "strong."

- you can set a different temperature for brew and for steam. This plays into the "good steam" stuff above. Good steam is a lot hotter than what you want to brew with. IMO. And being able to separate the processes allows you to get the kind of steam you want and get the kind of water you want.

I was really happy with the single-boiler Infuser. But I wouldn't want to go back to a single boiler machine now...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started w a Gaggia Classic; after 3 years upgraded to a Salvatore. The Gaggia is still going strong 8 years later w a friend. I also have a Silvia as a backup...seems a bit better for espresso than the Gaggia.

Grinder- started w a Baratza and upgraded to a Mazzer Super Jolly I picked up from a coffee shop that was closing. For travel- an Aeropress and an Orphan Lido 2 grinder. Fresh beans are the key too- right now working through the dark and medium roasts from LaColombe.
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Baratza grinder looks to be incredible for $500:

Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hank rearden wrote:
New Baratza grinder looks to be incredible for $500:

I'd have a hard time buying a Baratza after spending a lot more time reading about reliability and also the experiences of a personal friend to whom I recommended the Vario (since replaced with an HG-1). They just don't seem super well made. People like them... for a couple years. If you go read the reviews, it's either 8+ or 3-. People have great experiences. Or lousy ones.

The big problem seems to be the split adjustment mechanism. I.e., the big steps adjuster and then the micro adjuster. It just doesn't seem to be super reliable.

I also think the burrs are probably on the small side, but that's another story. I have a Baratza Encore, and I think I make pretty good coffee with it, but I think part of the reason is that it ONLY has the macro adjustments - I make incremental adjustments myself in a crude way; I do about 1/2 the grind at one setting, then do another 1/2 at a finer setting. Stir the grinds. Tamp.

But plenty of people seem to struggle to get reliable results with the dual-adjustment Baratza models.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't pretend to be a huge coffee lover / drinker but I do enjoy it from time to time...

I was given a Saecco Talea last year by someone who had "upgraded" to a Thermador built-in espresso machine. Beside having a huge footprint compared to my old Saecco Aroma, I am quite happy with it, except when I realize I forgot to empty the ground coffee compartment after a few weeks and it becomes a compost experiment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aeropress all the way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Rok grinder...

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Rocky and Silvia aren't good values anymore IMO. They used to be about 5-10 years ago. If you have a hard budget of $1k I'd go with a Gaggia machine and a good grinder. That way you can upgrade to better espresso machine if you get the itch and not have to buy a new grinder. For ~$1500 I think the Breville Dual Boiler + a decent grinder if you don't like to tinker. The Breville is pretty easy to buy for 20% off from Bed Bath and Beyond. I use an E61 Heat Exchanger machine but it has more of a learning curve than a PID'd machine. As far as the grinder, you need to spend at least ~$250 to get something capable of producing a decent espresso grind.
Last edited by: Dunbar: Apr 21, 16 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: Espresso machine [Dunbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any suggestions to upgrade my gaggia MDF grinder? I strongly dislike the doser-type grinders... It's a freaking pain.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello quickguru and All,

My wife has a used Gaggia Baby $150 and a Gaggia Grinder $125 for sale ........ if you are interested ...... PM me.

http://www.surlatable.com/..._h1ycp6tA-_6h0BoCtKb

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next