Prev Next
REAP bikes. New beam bike!
Quote | Reply
[/img]
Last edited by: BMANX: Apr 8, 16 13:55
Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. First image. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quick glance makes it look like a falco/dimond crossbreed. Very similar (in look) to the dimond

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. New beam bike! [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Teaser video and some additional pictures on instagram

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SElO5lcdJe8

https://www.instagram.com/reapbikes/
Last edited by: mhepp: Apr 8, 16 14:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
[/img]

Another FAIL!!! Why are they missing what gives a beam bike the largest advantage over its non-beam counterpart...It is the suspension! You dont go and make the beam so stiff that it has no give (sure you do that for the bb/chainstays/downtube), but when you make the beam all stiff, you kill the major advantage of having a beam. I think that this loss of functionality will prevent the new crop of beams from expanding and catching on like they did the first time (stopped only by the UCI).

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Completely your opinion. The only reason I'd be interested in a beam bike is if it has significantly less drag than a traditional frame. I couldn't care less about suspension.

stephenj wrote:

Another FAIL!!! Why are they missing what gives a beam bike the largest advantage over its non-beam counterpart...It is the suspension!
Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. New beam bike! [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Completely your opinion. The only reason I'd be interested in a beam bike is if it has significantly less drag than a traditional frame. I couldn't care less about suspension.

stephenj wrote:

Another FAIL!!! Why are they missing what gives a beam bike the largest advantage over its non-beam counterpart...It is the suspension!

Agreed. I don't care about suspension. I just want to go fast.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. New beam bike! [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:

stephenj wrote:

Then you are looking to the beam design for the wrong reason. This is not based on opinion, but on the testing that is available with some searching, as well as data backed statements by those on this board who have been testing bikes in the wind tunnel and telling us about it for the past 20 years (all the way back to the days of rec.sport.triathlon). The theme has always been that the removal of the seat tube allows the low pressure area behind a rider to 'fill in' better; thus reducing that low pressure area. There have also been statements regarding a reduction in rolling resistance with the suspension from the beam design, but I have never seen or heard of anyone pointing to hard data which proves this point.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Isn't it the suspension that helps you go faster? Something about better contact with the imperfect road?
Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. New beam bike! [skaas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. That has to do with tires.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. New beam bike! [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that this loss of functionality will prevent the new crop of beams from expanding and catching on like they did the first time (stopped only by the UCI).[/quote]
Having read that I can only assume you have never ridden a Dimond. It doesn't bounce but it is very absorbant for want of a better word. It make rough road smooth without any bounce. It's pretty sweet.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. New beam bike! [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would take a Rocket TT 7 first any day
Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. New beam bike! [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Then you are looking to the beam design for the wrong reason. This is not based on opinion, but on the testing that is available with some searching, as well as data backed statements by those on this board who have been testing bikes in the wind tunnel and telling us about it for the past 20 years (all the way back to the days of rec.sport.triathlon). The theme has always been that the removal of the seat tube allows the low pressure area behind a rider to 'fill in' better; thus reducing that low pressure area. There have also been statements regarding a reduction in rolling resistance with the suspension from the beam design, but I have never seen or heard of anyone pointing to hard data which proves this point.

You seem to be conceding rather than supporting your original claim. :)

In any case I'm not sure you can tell how much "suspension" there is just by looking at a picture. You must be assuming that something with a lot of suspension would look "thin" and someone with so much volume would be "stiff"? That's not necessarily true, particularly given the tremendous amount of flexibility that modern carbon design practices provide engineers (no pun intended).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SICK!
Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. New beam bike! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might visualize sitting in this...sproing. I suppose it's true that road vibration would take the long way round, but I don't know. Why compromise the structure of the tried and true road-going furniture, when you can isolate with a modern/correct selection of foam for the saddle and not upset your seat height, or frame stability.

And aerodynamics seem to be coming up as a roost, with rider aboard that is. What's up front eg. Canyon, Scott etc. is most significant. The seat tube allows for battery, a flow splitter and management out the back end. I see no compelling reason to delete it, other than to look different or cool. BRG nice color tho! PS: Who's riding it? Look at those bars!

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Apr 8, 16 22:02
Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. New beam bike! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I recall correctly - time after time people would get off of a Zipp or a Softride (one compliant, the other more so) and talk about "fresh legs". From there Softride would essentially force you to "spin" the pedals as opposed to "mash" the pedals (the training with power guys should jump on board). To discount suspension is simply either blinded by delusion or contemptuous fear of trying something different. Well, then there was PowerCranks...
Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. New beam bike! [OldFLTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OldFLTriGuy wrote:
I would take a Rocket TT 7 first any day

ever ride a softride down a hihg speed twisty downhill. according to a good friend of mine who had one until he did, when you've done it once you'll never do it again. the front goes one way and the back goes the other

beam bikes are cool but there is really nothing to say that a beam frame is faster than a conventional frame.

from jim@erosports;

1. Position
  2. Clothing
  3. Helmet or Wheels
  4. Helmet or Wheels
  5. Clean front end (i.e.cables)
  6. Proper hydration setup
  7. Frame

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. New beam bike! [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over 70mph on the right hill...over 50mph dozens of times. And other than the UCI ban on them (then again, UCI bans about anything cool).

I agree on your list and order, right up until there is some suspension in it.

I suppose those MTN bike guys have no idea what is up however. Do not forget, every frame company is looking to allow some "compliance", even more so after about 111 miles on the road. Plus, if the suspension can offer you "fresher legs" I am not seeing a down side. We have gone past every iteration of elastomer, spring, leaf spring, no seat tube (Kestral), dual down tube (Colonago), seat padding, shorts padding, seat rail material....there has GOT to be something to this theory of separating the rider from the high and low frequency chatter of the road...
Last edited by: OldFLTriGuy: Apr 9, 16 4:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see no storage capacity on that frame, nothing from an internal bottle straw to bottle bosses on the down tube. Am I missing something?

IMO storage is pretty key for any non UCI frame, as the average customer will primarily use it for triathlons. And let's face it, there's a really high chance that they will be 70.3 or IM.
Geometry aside, integrating that storage as opposed to just hanging bits off the frame is what will make a tri bike fast in practice.
Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. New beam bike! [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, double edge sword. Storage for electronics and possible a tire/tube...sure. Integrated drinks at IM distance can be foolish as they may be hard to fill, clean, access and on and on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True, agree.

That's why it has to be done well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed that they should have introduced some storage capacity in the frame. As least storage but I am not sure about integrated fluids but it looks like they had room for both in the front of the bike near the head tube area.

These Brits should have had the storage as least big enough for a bag of Walker's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It's always good to see innovation in the bike world--one of the few "industries" where the barriers to entry have yet to be raised to oligarchy levels.
And it looks like the UCI is softening it's heavy-handed design oversight since the Graeme Obree days. It all makes for more choices!

As for the beam bike category, tests show the aerodynamics of the entrants (Dimond, Falco, TitanFlex) to be on par with the current superbikes from TREK, Specialized, Giant, Scott, Felt, etc. Suspension, or lack thereof, has been a controversial element. When I was 25 I echoed the sentiments of TH3_FRB and BryanD: "I don't care about suspension...I just want to go fast."

Twenty years later, one's outlook/physiology changes. The resiliency of youth gives way to reality of a "maturing" engine. It turns out that a lot of people end up faster when they can ride more comfortably in a good aero position. I'm happy that TitanFlex affords everyone that choice--comfortable and adjustable without sacrificing weight, aerodynamics or a big hit to their wallet.

Tom Piszkin
UCSD Triathlon Coach
@TitanFlexBikes
(619)334-7222
(619)328-1870 FAX
Last edited by: TitanFlex: Apr 9, 16 13:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OldFLTriGuy wrote:
IMO, double edge sword. Storage for electronics and possible a tire/tube...sure. Integrated drinks at IM distance can be foolish as they may be hard to fill, clean, access and on and on

At the very least - why hasn't anyone come up with a flat kit and/or tools compartment? I get that drinks are tough, since it has to be sanitary and easily accessible on the go.

But a flat kit, on the other hand, doesn't have to be either. It only needs to be accessible when stationary, and needs some mechanism to keep stuff from rattling around - both of which are easily enough solved.

(Beyond the 'add this to your bike' type solutions offered by Trek et al. I'm talking something inside the frame)
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 9, 16 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: REAP bikes. New beam bike! [TitanFlex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BAH!!! When I was a kid we had saddle made of elephant skin and prickly pears...and WE LIKED IT!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How would someone adjust the saddle height on that bike. Seems like it's fixed

Drown, Spin, Run
Quote Reply

Prev Next