Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Braking power on new Zipp 808 NSW?
Quote | Reply
I never liked riding firecrest 808s because the braking was so bad... even after I swapped out to the yellow brake pads... I like the breaking on the super9 and 404s much more.. With the new 808 NSW, is the braking comparable to the 404 firecrest or is it even more stable?
Quote Reply
Re: Braking power on new Zipp 808 NSW? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The breaking on all those wheels SHOULD BE exactly the same. There's obviously some slight variance due to manufacturing in the braking surfaces, but all of those wheels you mention use the same surface treatment, same layup, same epoxy, etc.

And, in all cases, the 808 NSW wheels are notably better. I always thought the Firecrest braking surface (with both the cork pads and the platinum pads was excellent). But the NSW is amazing. I think it's better than aluminum.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Braking power on new Zipp 808 NSW? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
The breaking on all those wheels SHOULD BE exactly the same. There's obviously some slight variance due to manufacturing in the braking surfaces, but all of those wheels you mention use the same surface treatment, same layup, same epoxy, etc.

And, in all cases, the 808 NSW wheels are notably better. I always thought the Firecrest braking surface (with both the cork pads and the platinum pads was excellent). But the NSW is amazing. I think it's better than aluminum.

Strange! I've had two sets of firecrest 808s and both times, I felt going downhill and braking was always sketchy! But I always feel confident braking on 404s, 202s and even a Super9 (all clinchers) .. Of course theres nothing scientific about this.. all by feel.
Last edited by: 125mph: Apr 5, 16 9:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same bike with the 404s and 808s?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting never had this issues either, have 2 x 808, 3 x 404, 1 x zipp disc, to me they all seem to brake the same. I do normally only race with the 808 so do break a ton with it, but idk man they feel same to me.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

Any comment on stability of the 808 NSW vs 808 FC? Similar? NSW feel better in high winds? (trying to figure out if to go Enve 7.8 or Zipp 808 NSW on my front wheel this yr)

Quote Reply
Re: Braking power on new Zipp 808 NSW? [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Any comment on stability of the 808 NSW vs 808 FC? Similar? NSW feel better in high winds? (trying to figure out if to go Enve 7.8 or Zipp 808 NSW on my front wheel this yr)

There's not too much aerodynamic difference between 808 NSW & FC. It's mostly in the braking surface. And in the hubs. And in some of the rim construction that results in a stiffer wheel. But aerodynamically, they are very close. And, in terms of stability, they're even closer. Though I suppose the improved braking and overall stiffness upgrades might make for a total package that offers more stability...

I've never ridden ENVEs so I cannot comment.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info :-)

Quote Reply