Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a recommendation for a brand/source of maltodextrin and/or fructose?
Last edited by: jeremyebrock: Feb 26, 16 23:25
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
Do you have a recommendation for a brand/source of maltose trim and/or fructose?

I just got mine from honeyville grains - $80 for 50 lbs - it never ends I still have left over from the tub I bought 4 years ago.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
First of all thanks for all the congrats everywhere! Yes day 1 and day 2 were all liquid only. The flavor just changed. Day 1 was tart cherry juice mixed with maltodextrin and fructose, day 2 was ginger beer mixed with maltodextrin and fructose. End of day 2 was coke. Both days I also took in the Powerbar Cola shots

Hi Rob - could you share your recipe mix for your special concoctions? thx

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome race and win!!! This race is something I have been interested in over the last couple of years. I can only hope my body lets me build to this level in the next few years. In your response to question 11 you mentioned your liver and a blood test. Do you notice that your liver AST levels are "HIGH" during training? I tried to explain to my doctor the white papers on intense exercise causing HIGH AST levels that I have read but I am not sure he believes me so I am under going more testing now to rule out everything else. Which is the safest route but just curious if this is what you were referring too??

Thanks

1. How much time do you think your organs need to recoup from this? My liver will recover fast, since I was not able to drink any alcohol. My heart rate was pretty low across all the days. My lungs didn't work much. My kidneys are probably the things that worked the hardest. I don't know, I should have a blood test to see what's going on internally.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tinman wrote:
robgray wrote:
First of all thanks for all the congrats everywhere! Yes day 1 and day 2 were all liquid only. The flavor just changed. Day 1 was tart cherry juice mixed with maltodextrin and fructose, day 2 was ginger beer mixed with maltodextrin and fructose. End of day 2 was coke. Both days I also took in the Powerbar Cola shots

Hi Rob - could you share your recipe mix for your special concoctions? thx

sure - it's simply 2/3 maltodextrin powder, 1/3 fructose powder, plus a juice (tart cherry juice or ginger beer) and then some water to get it to the desired consistency. For me that's about equal parts juice and water. I stick it in a blender, and I usually use warm water to make the powder dissolve easier.

Then, in addition to the special mixes, my "go to" nutrition products are as follows:
- Glukos energy gel (nice liquid consistency, I can take this on runs without any water)
- Glukos energy tabs (they just dissolve in your mouth, and the canister is easy to carry)
- Powerbar gel blasts (cola flavor)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alien wrote:
Awesome race and win!!! This race is something I have been interested in over the last couple of years. I can only hope my body lets me build to this level in the next few years. In your response to question 11 you mentioned your liver and a blood test. Do you notice that your liver AST levels are "HIGH" during training? I tried to explain to my doctor the white papers on intense exercise causing HIGH AST levels that I have read but I am not sure he believes me so I am under going more testing now to rule out everything else. Which is the safest route but just curious if this is what you were referring too??

no - I really have no idea. I was just responding to Dev's question about how much time do I think my organs need to recover... honestly my organs are the last thing I've been thinking about... priority #1 has been trying to get my legs moving again! I literally could not walk up 2 stairs after crossing the finish line - my quads need some serious TLC.

However, I do plan to do a full blood panel soon just to make sure everything is not out of whack. It's been about 18 months since I last did one. Internal organs are easy to forget about since you can't see or feel them. I am guilty of not even really thinking about them much.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
alien wrote:

no - I really have no idea. I was just responding to Dev's question about how much time do I think my organs need to recover... honestly my organs are the last thing I've been thinking about... priority #1 has been trying to get my legs moving again! I literally could not walk up 2 stairs after crossing the finish line - my quads need some serious TLC.

However, I do plan to do a full blood panel soon just to make sure everything is not out of whack. It's been about 18 months since I last did one. Internal organs are easy to forget about since you can't see or feel them. I am guilty of not even really thinking about them much.

I feel that a good indication of how well our organs work is day to day recovery and energy levels (since it is hard to measure what they are doing). Organs are the factory that rebuild our bodies and keep everything in equilibrium. When they are exposed to the stress of heavy training blocks, they are either able to step up or the body breaks down. There is a reason why younger athletes recovery faster than older ones. I think that long after soreness is gone in the legs from racing, it takes some time for the organs to rebuild themselves. There is a reason why if you do an IM 2 to 4 weeks after the previous IM, we might feel fine, but by mile 10 on the run, "the legs are not there". I feel this is more because the organs just have not recovered and are not able to process all the waste on race day (even though the legs are fine). In an UM, how well the organs are doing should have a big impact on day 2 and day 3, but after day 3 you don't have to do anything, so would be curious how long it takes them to bounce back from that double marathon. Curious to hear your test results.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, in that case, yes I feel it. I did a 2.5k swim on Friday and I felt a deep level of fatigue - beyond muscular fatigue - I could manage only about 200m into each interval before I had to stop and recover about 30 sec, then go again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
ok, in that case, yes I feel it. I did a 2.5k swim on Friday and I felt a deep level of fatigue - beyond muscular fatigue - I could manage only about 200m into each interval before I had to stop and recover about 30 sec, then go again.

Yeah, I am wondering if there is a means to measure that 'organ recovery'. I really don't think it is very simple. I have done hard bike TT's 14-17 days after an IM and nailed them but these were only 20-60 min. Not all the organs need to "perform' in such a short duration like they would need to in a half IM or full IM. It would be great if we could get some medical markers from blood tests that could tell us the "full picture" since muscle soreness goes away quickly and we can be duped into believing we are "ready to go again".

Having done a few IM's where the second is 3 weeks after the first, I only felt the first IM when I got to around mile 16 of the run. And then the last 10 miles were quite a bit slower than they should be in a "fresh IM". I am not sure if this is all muscular damage from race 1 only.

Let us know if you detect any major variation on your energy/lethargy for day to day home and work life in these next 3 weeks. It would be interesting to follow the recovery process as much as the actual event (from a N=1 human physiology lab perspective)...also if you are more susceptible to illness (nothing like having young kids around bringing every germ on the planet home)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My "go to" simple recovery test is power:HR on bike and pace:HR on the run. I'll report back on those and then hopefully get a blood panel done next week

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you use any other electrolytes or just what naturally occurs in the ginger beer, cola etc? I'm really intrigued with the idea of building my own drinks, since I have yet to find something commercial/affordable that I really like and that translates well to race-day nutrition. short of buying Salt Stick tabs and emptying them into drinks, I'm not sure how to reliably mix all the minerals without getting a chemistry degree first.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
Do you use any other electrolytes

Hey Jeremy - no I never use supplemental electrolytes during racing. I do eat foods with salt and potassium in daily diet, and I take a magnesium supplement at night. I subscribe to the Tim Noakes theory that the human body is pretty good at self regulating electrolyte levels without extra supplementation. I don't believe there is any harm in taking them, though. I did actually take one bottle of pedialyte during the Ultraman run - mainly to get a different taste but there is a good mix of electrolytes in that.

If I wanted to add in electrolytes, I'd just pop a nuun tab into each bottle... pretty simple and no harm done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
My "go to" simple recovery test is power:HR on bike and pace:HR on the run. I'll report back on those and then hopefully get a blood panel done next week

Rob how are things bouncing back? Did you do any uphill run test to the to of Mount Evans yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
robgray wrote:

Rob how are things bouncing back? Did you do any uphill run test to the to of Mount Evans yet?

Hi Dev - I'm feeling pretty good. The intensity is back but I'm keeping things short. Runs are a decent pace (7:00ish pace) but just 3-4 miles. Bike power is as good or better than before the race (but only riding about 90 mins max). Swims are a bit slower and I still get a bit tired about 200m into any set (so I just stop and rest). This week will probably be around 7-8 hours, and then next week I'm traveling for work, so probably just treadmill and weights. Then a full day of downhill skiing on Friday to give those quads a bit of a burn!

The Mt Evans climb is definitely on the cards as soon as I have enough time and good weathr, but not to run... !

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running down Mt. Evans probably would not be much fun right now anyway!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [antonbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the win, Rob. Best wishes on your training and Ultraman World Championship race. For those athletes considering an Ultraman race in 2017, applications are being accepted NOW for the Ultraman Florida 2017 race. The application deadline is April 8, 2016. Applications can be found here: http://ultramanflorida.com/..._Application2017.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [ckemeny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ckemeny wrote:
Congratulations on the win, Rob. Best wishes on your training and Ultraman World Championship race. For those athletes considering an Ultraman race in 2017, applications are being accepted NOW for the Ultraman Florida 2017 race. The application deadline is April 8, 2016. Applications can be found here: http://ultramanflorida.com/..._Application2017.pdf

Why is the application deadline that early?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob,

First of all congratulations on your win and the execution of your race. And thank you for being willing to answer all the questions that pop up.

I was following this thread from the beginning and most of the asked questions were in line with my potential questions.

The one I have addresses your L/R power balance on the bike. I was looking at your power file form IM Arizona last year (I haven't seen your power file from UM FL) and I noticed that your L/R power balance was 45.4/54.6%.
Was is it similar at UM FL?
If it was, are you paying attention to it?
Do you think having a power balance difference influences your bike and run performance?

Thank you,
Boki
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [boki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boki wrote:
Rob,

First of all congratulations on your win and the execution of your race. And thank you for being willing to answer all the questions that pop up.

I was following this thread from the beginning and most of the asked questions were in line with my potential questions.

The one I have addresses your L/R power balance on the bike. I was looking at your power file form IM Arizona last year (I haven't seen your power file from UM FL) and I noticed that your L/R power balance was 45.4/54.6%.
Was is it similar at UM FL?
If it was, are you paying attention to it?
Do you think having a power balance difference influences your bike and run performance?

Thank you,
Boki

Thanks Boki - and it's a pleasure to answer questions.
I just checked and yes my power balance was about the same at UMFL (around 45/55). But to be honest I didn't even look at that until you asked the question... so I guess that answers whether I'm paying attention to it or not!

The reason I don't pay too much attention to it is that I've heard about a lot of people with my PM (power2max type S) reporting similar numbers (almost exactly the same 45/55), and I believe the LR is estimated, not actually measured on both legs. So I never look at it when riding, and very seldom during analysis after the fact. However, I'm pretty sure that my right leg is a little stronger than my left, I just don't think it's by that much... I think if I knew that I was measuring true R/L balance of each leg, I'd probably do some single leg squats on a regular basis to strengthen the left leg a bit more.

Since you posted this Q, I quickly took a look at my LR power from IM Los Cabos 2013 (this was using a Quarq PM) and it was 49.2/50.8... which is reassuring that I may not have a huge discrepancy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob,

Thank you for your answer.

I have 3 powermeters - Quarq, P2M, and PowerTap P1 (I bought this one less than a month ago). My L/R balance is also off but as you, I was thinking that crank based powermeters are not really accurate in showing a "real balance". But the P1 showed almost identical L/R numbers (unbalanced) and what is weird, my outdoor L/R balance seems a little bit better than my indoor one - the same bike and position.

I know it might not matter if one has uneven L/R power output and in some cases if one tries to "even it up" he/she can actually loose overall power. But, it just bugs me why it seems that my left leg is performing differently and how that impacts my biking and running. All of this might be even more important if I want to do an Ultraman - since my right leg would work significantly more because the bike "part" is 261.4mi long. :)

I wish you good luck while in training for UM WC. When you get there you'll do great! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [boki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice - the powertap p1 pedals looks pretty good, and from what I hear, people seem really happy with them. As time goes on I'd love to hear your feedback and your thoughts, especially regarding ease of use where installation and re-installation is concerned (that's what people with the garmin vectors complain about)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll send you a PM regarding P1s since this thread is about your UM FL race and not about my powermeter. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Rob,

Now that a month has passed, some more questions:

1. How is the body feeling? Around the same as a month after an IM? Better? Worse?
  2. Are your power levels back?
  3. How was your sleep over the last month? Any affects
  4. Did you weight fluctuate after the race (well aside from maybe intentionally going on the Jan Ullrich plan?)
  5. Any aches and pains for running, or are you good to go?
  6. When do you start the IM Boulder training?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hi Rob,

Now that a month has passed, some more questions:

1. How is the body feeling? Around the same as a month after an IM? Better? Worse?
  2. Are your power levels back?
  3. How was your sleep over the last month? Any affects
  4. Did you weight fluctuate after the race (well aside from maybe intentionally going on the Jan Ullrich plan?)
  5. Any aches and pains for running, or are you good to go?
  6. When do you start the IM Boulder training?

Hey Dev - thanks for asking!

1. Body feels about the same as after an IM. Although I've really taken my time in terms of enjoying the stuff that normal people do over winter (like some skiing, chilling out, casual bike rides etc.) - I don't think I've done a workout over an hour - most are around 30 min.
2. Yes - power seems pretty good considering I haven't done a lot of riding. I have a local 11 mile loop that I did the other day and 270-300w felt pretty good. Funny enough, lower power levels on the trainer felt a bit harder than before (like 200w feels "solid" now, and before that felt "easy"
3. Funny you should mention that - sleep has been terrible. I wake up at 3am most days.
4. Surprisingly, weight has been stable. I didn't get on the scale for about 2 weeks now - I figure I'll eat what I want for a few weeks and then get more disciplined when I get back into real training.
5. no aches or pains - I did an 8 mile run last week and pace was pretty good - with no pains or aches - a good sign!
6. I'm thinking I'll start an 8 week high intensity block early April, for Boulder 70.3, then do a big volume block after that.

Lastly, I'll probably do the blood panel next week. Will be interesting to see what comes back with that.

Quote Reply

Prev Next