Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [antonbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
antonbp wrote:
Congrats Rob on the win!

UM is on my bucket list. I have a toddler and infant, so plan to wait a few years.

How old are your kids?

4 and 2 (not an easy age!). But honestly my UM training volume was less than for an IM, so it wasn't like a huge step change in time requirement

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats Rob on the win!

What is your day to day diet? It looks like you would have raced heavier than you usually are if it weren't for the flu. Do you think this was just from decreased overall volume? Or did you just eat more?

Also, you say that you will get your run volume up to 80-100mpw for Ultraman Hawaii. What pace will you be running most of the runs at? What is your easy pace now and will your slow it down more once you hit this volume? How much.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [endurancealex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to be quite strict on day-to-day, but these days, especially with higher volume weeks, I just eat a good "base" i.e. veggies and highly nutritious foods, and then whatever else I feel like. Ice cream, glass of red wine most nights, not really restrictive. For some reason it seems to not make much difference i.e. I don't gain higher than about 78kg if I eat like that, and I always have energy to train.

My approach with the high run volume is to first go for volume and ignore pace - most long runs will be 8:20-8:40 pace but that's just what it is, I don't aim for that. Then I do 1 or 2 tempo runs, 10 miles or less with a few miles around 7:00-7:30 pace. My approach for hawaii will be to build up the volume, then incorporate more and more of that volume at around 7:15 pace. Then one session per week much faster like low 6's. While all of that is going on, though, I'll try to be very in tune with how my body is feeling and reacting. For me, too much volume at a fast pace is a recipe for injury.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you "become" an ultraman? Can you feel it happening? Is there a glow or flash of light?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Did you "become" an ultraman? Can you feel it happening? Is there a glow or flash of light?

Nobody shouted "you are an ultraman" when I crossed the line... Because of that I'm not sure any of it really happened at all! Do you think I can get a U-dot tattoo?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Rob on an awesome race - prep, effort and execution. I'm not very familiar with the Ultraman niche so am wondering how you consider Ultraman Hawaii and the expected level of competition. In other words, qualifying for Kona (IM) and racing at the pointy end of the AG/field are two totally different realms. Is Ultraman similar or, given the niche, do you expect the competitive Hawaii effort/execution to be 1x Florida or substantially beyond that? (course/conditions aside, of course) If you say way beyond 1x, I can't even imagine what that is. thx

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question, I think the level will be high, especially the run. The course record for the run is 5:33! I feel like by November I can be pretty competitive for the swim, I'd be competitive on the bike right now, but I'll have to really focus over the next 8 months if I want to be in the same zip code on the run

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking time to answer questions, very generous of you. I'm hoping to get into Utlraman Florida for my 40th birthday in a couple years.
Do you know how many people actually enter to participate? My understanding is they take 40 racers. What did you do to recover each night of the event, any ice baths?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [waythree11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waythree11 wrote:
Thanks for taking time to answer questions, very generous of you. I'm hoping to get into Utlraman Florida for my 40th birthday in a couple years.
Do you know how many people actually enter to participate? My understanding is they take 40 racers. What did you do to recover each night of the event, any ice baths?

yes they take 40 entrants - you need to submit a race resume - but as long as you've an Iron distance event and ideally some other endurance stuff, you will be good. In this year's contingent, there were many people who had done epic things. One guy did 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents (this was the guy that challenged me for the win, you can imagine that during the run, the fact that he was so experienced at ultra running convinced me that he would not make a mistake, and I was right!). That guy also did Norseman. Another guy did 7 Ironmans in 7 days in the canarys. A few RAAM people.

For recovery, I focused on eating a lot during each stage and after. After day 1 I drank 2 x ensure and a whole bowl of rice mixed with condensed milk (must have been 1500 calories or so). We had a 45 minute drive back to the hotel, and I just sat in the back of the Dimond Van in my normatec boots. When we got back, I ate more and then sat in the hot tub for a long time. I also did baths with epsom salts. I didn't do any ice baths, mainly because I wasn't sore at all (until after the run anyway). Most other athletes did do ice baths.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was a pic from a quick tune up ride I did with my crew the day before

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the win! I was fortunate enough to race in the inaugural Ultraman Florida back in 2014 and it is hands down one of my favorite races ever! I think i read somewhere you are racing worlds in hawaii this year? If so best of luck as well!

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks yes Hawaii is the main goal this year. I'm excited to be able to train in summer for that!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Rob, fascinating answers and really motivational.

You mentioned spending time on the trainer, is that on the Dimond? If so, I was under the impression that it voids the warranty...one of the main reasons I haven't seriously considered the bike myself, as I do a big chunk of my bike training inside.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
Hey Rob, fascinating answers and really motivational.

You mentioned spending time on the trainer, is that on the Dimond? If so, I was under the impression that it voids the warranty...one of the main reasons I haven't seriously considered the bike myself, as I do a big chunk of my bike training inside.

I have 2 indoor setups:
- I have the Inside Ride rollers, on which I ride the Dimond
- I have a Wahoo KICKR, on which I ride an old road bike that I crashed

I use the KICKR when I need to multitask (like reading emails or watching netflix), but the rollers take all my focus just trying to not wipe out ;-)
I'd say I probably spend more time on the KICKR. As I get more skilled on the rollers, I see myself spending a lot more time on them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask you anything?

How was it that an Australian athlete named Mark Robson was allowed to compete? He was ineligible for the race as he did not meet the criteria of having completed an Ironman event in the 18 months prior, due to the fact he had been banned from competing for cheating (cutting the course and starting in the wrong waves) in at least 4 Ironman events. The race director Consuela Lively was contacted about Mark Robson and his history and ineligibility mentioned. It has since transpired she has been his online coach for the last 12 months....

You did say "ask me anything".
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea... But if all that is true then I'm glad I beat him by over 4 hours!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I have no idea... But if all that is true then I'm glad I beat him by over 4 hours!

Ha ha well done!

I just hope he did the whole course this time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rob here are my questions:

1. How much bike and run climbing on this course vs Hawaii?
  2. How much wind in Florida vs what one can expect in Hawaii
  3. Heat and humidity in Florida and if it affected you at all coming out of Colorado winter?
  4. Did coming down from altitude help the swim....I would imagine "yes"
  5. Without giving away your tactics for Hawaii, do you think you will to ride "harder" to have more of a gap to the really fast runners who can run around 7 hours.
  6. Are there some things you can do with your crew to streamline logistics to make sure the gap is larger after the bike legs (I would imagine there are many places to gain 15-30 seconds around 10-20x per day related to logistics alone)
  7. Do you think you can swim faster in the ocean with the buoyancy, or do you think it will be a wash given potential for currents
  8. Do you plan to increase training volume or largely keep it the same (I think we better check with Michelle on that one anyway, so maybe we should ask her, because given an infinite ceiling, you'll be training 110 hours per week and sleeping 58)
  9. Did you have more "fun" than IM racing
  10. On the run execution and the miles 32 to 52, did those last 20 miles feel like the perceived exertion of running a 10K, except it went on for 3 hours?
  11. How much time do you think your organs need to recoup from this?
  12. The Dimond boys, did they just drive from Iowa (I assume this is where the Van is based) and if so, are they getting on a barge in San Francisco to float it to Kona in November with Sammy Inkanen rowing the barge with the van (his FTP could probably handle it)

Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot speak to the circumstances leading up to Mark being accepted into the 2016 race, but below is the announcement regarding his ban. I hope it clarifies things for people. Just pulling out the facts... He was banned in Australia only. He most definitely could have raced outside of Australia during his ban and his ban expired in January of 2016.

Under the Triathlon Australia Member Protection Policy, Western Australia triathlete Mark Robson has been suspended from annual and one day membership of Triathlon Australia for a period of two years.

The sanction was imposed by the Board of Triathlon Australia after Triathlon Western Australia received complaints from several members about the actions of Mr Robson in triathlon events held in Western Australia between 2011 and 2013. After an initial review of the facts, Triathlon Western Australia referred the matter to Triathlon Australia. An investigation into the allegations was conducted by an independent firm of investigators and their report concluded that:

Mr Robson engaged in deliberate and pre-meditated actions to gain an unfair advantage in the 2013 IRONMAN 70.3 Busselton event.
On the balance of probabilities Mr Robson engaged in deliberate and pre-meditated actions to gain an unfair advantage in other significant triathlon events identified between 2011 and 2013.

Mr Robsons suspension commenced on 9 January 2014 and will conclude on 8 January 2016. During this time, he is ineligible for both annual and one day membership of Triathlon Australia. He has also been retrospectively disqualified from the four events identified and he is required to return any awards or prizes won at these races.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Thanks good questions Dev, ok I'll answer inline
  1. How much bike and run climbing on this course vs Hawaii? More climbing in Hawaii on the bike but the course is 6 miles shorter, I need to investigate the run but Hawaii certainly has the long downhill from Hawi. Florida was very hilly to start with. There is a climb called Sugarloaf on the day 2 bike in Florida, that when described by the locals had me in fear. When I got to that hill I was like... "seriously? people are worried about this bump"
  2. How much wind in Florida vs what one can expect in Hawaii. Day 1 was as much or more wind as Hawaii. Florida is the luck of the draw, whereas Hawaii wind is a near certainty. I guess there is maybe some protection from wind on the climb to Volcanoes and on the Hilo side. Hawaii there will also be less traffic. A windy course on a highway with huge trucks flying past, is pretty taxing.
  3. Heat and humidity in Florida and if it affected you at all coming out of Colorado winter? No
  4. Did coming down from altitude help the swim....I would imagine "yes" Yes, it probably helped across all 3 sports. The swim felt very relaxing to me, the bike equivalent of riding at 40% FTP
  5. Without giving away your tactics for Hawaii, do you think you will to ride "harder" to have more of a gap to the really fast runners who can run around 7 hours. I haven't decided yet. Riding easy certainly helped me to ride harder on day 2. I guess I'll see what happens on the swim. If I have to make up a deficit I'll ride harder than if I'm first out of the water again.
  6. Are there some things you can do with your crew to streamline logistics to make sure the gap is larger after the bike legs (I would imagine there are many places to gain 15-30 seconds around 10-20x per day related to logistics alone). Given that I was a rookie and my crew was a first time UM crew, I'm surprised at how we nailed everything so well. I can't think of any way we could have gained more time, other than having someone hack the stop lights! I sat at stop lights for a total of maybe 15 minutes on day 1.
  7. Do you think you can swim faster in the ocean with the buoyancy, or do you think it will be a wash given potential for currents. Kona is very conditions dependent. I'd say I'll either be much faster or much slower. Unlikely the same as UMFL.
  8. Do you plan to increase training volume or largely keep it the same (I think we better check with Michelle on that one anyway, so maybe we should ask her, because given an infinite ceiling, you'll be training 110 hours per week and sleeping 58) Increase for sure. I'd like to have several months of 30k per week swim, and several "mini training camps" of 15-20 hours biking per week. From the run point of view, I think just average IM mileage maybe 40-50 miles per week, but faster, could be beneficial. I can't afford to run Hawaii at 9:00/mile.
  9. Did you have more "fun" than IM racing. Significantly more. The swim was fun, it's a lot of fun having all the crews around, and the strategy/tactics were a lot more fun
  10. On the run execution and the miles 32 to 52, did those last 20 miles feel like the perceived exertion of running a 10K, except it went on for 3 hours? It felt worse than a 10k because my quads were crying out. A 10K is a difficult cardiovascular effort, this was a much harder physical (muscular effort). And the mental focus it required was unlike any other type of racing I've done.
  11. How much time do you think your organs need to recoup from this? My liver will recover fast, since I was not able to drink any alcohol. My heart rate was pretty low across all the days. My lungs didn't work much. My kidneys are probably the things that worked the hardest. I don't know, I should have a blood test to see what's going on internally.
  12. The Dimond boys, did they just drive from Iowa (I assume this is where the Van is based) and if so, are they getting on a barge in San Francisco to float it to Kona in November with Sammy Inkanen rowing the barge with the van (his FTP could probably handle it). Yes Ethan and Chris drove 1500 miles, with a detour to N Carolina to do some test rides. When I last checked, Chris was near Tampa doing some test rides, he's heading toward California for Oceanside. Here is the Dimond Van schedule. I'm just going to get some big corporate sponsorship and paint a Dimond Helicopter for UM Hawaii.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are several indoor training options with a Dimond. I also use a set of Inside Ride rollers (as well as various other brands of rollers), but I do most of my hard interval sessions on the Minoura Hybrid Roller: You just CANNOT use a fixed rear axle trainer with a Dimond. The Minoura has plenty of resistance for even the toughest sprints.

Cheers,

TJ Tollakson
http://www.tollakson.com
CEO: http://www.rustersports.com and http://www.dimondbikes.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Thanks good questions Dev, ok I'll answer inline
  1. How much bike and run climbing on this course vs Hawaii? More climbing in Hawaii on the bike but the course is 6 miles shorter, I need to investigate the run but Hawaii certainly has the long downhill from Hawi. Florida was very hilly to start with. There is a climb called Sugarloaf on the day 2 bike in Florida, that when described by the locals had me in fear. When I got to that hill I was like... "seriously? people are worried about this bump"
  2. How much wind in Florida vs what one can expect in Hawaii. Day 1 was as much or more wind as Hawaii. Florida is the luck of the draw, whereas Hawaii wind is a near certainty. I guess there is maybe some protection from wind on the climb to Volcanoes and on the Hilo side. Hawaii there will also be less traffic. A windy course on a highway with huge trucks flying past, is pretty taxing.
  3. Heat and humidity in Florida and if it affected you at all coming out of Colorado winter? No
  4. Did coming down from altitude help the swim....I would imagine "yes" Yes, it probably helped across all 3 sports. The swim felt very relaxing to me, the bike equivalent of riding at 40% FTP
  5. Without giving away your tactics for Hawaii, do you think you will to ride "harder" to have more of a gap to the really fast runners who can run around 7 hours. I haven't decided yet. Riding easy certainly helped me to ride harder on day 2. I guess I'll see what happens on the swim. If I have to make up a deficit I'll ride harder than if I'm first out of the water again.
  6. Are there some things you can do with your crew to streamline logistics to make sure the gap is larger after the bike legs (I would imagine there are many places to gain 15-30 seconds around 10-20x per day related to logistics alone). Given that I was a rookie and my crew was a first time UM crew, I'm surprised at how we nailed everything so well. I can't think of any way we could have gained more time, other than having someone hack the stop lights! I sat at stop lights for a total of maybe 15 minutes on day 1.
  7. Do you think you can swim faster in the ocean with the buoyancy, or do you think it will be a wash given potential for currents. Kona is very conditions dependent. I'd say I'll either be much faster or much slower. Unlikely the same as UMFL.
  8. Do you plan to increase training volume or largely keep it the same (I think we better check with Michelle on that one anyway, so maybe we should ask her, because given an infinite ceiling, you'll be training 110 hours per week and sleeping 58) Increase for sure. I'd like to have several months of 30k per week swim, and several "mini training camps" of 15-20 hours biking per week. From the run point of view, I think just average IM mileage maybe 40-50 miles per week, but faster, could be beneficial. I can't afford to run Hawaii at 9:00/mile.
  9. Did you have more "fun" than IM racing. Significantly more. The swim was fun, it's a lot of fun having all the crews around, and the strategy/tactics were a lot more fun
  10. On the run execution and the miles 32 to 52, did those last 20 miles feel like the perceived exertion of running a 10K, except it went on for 3 hours? It felt worse than a 10k because my quads were crying out. A 10K is a difficult cardiovascular effort, this was a much harder physical (muscular effort). And the mental focus it required was unlike any other type of racing I've done.
  11. How much time do you think your organs need to recoup from this? My liver will recover fast, since I was not able to drink any alcohol. My heart rate was pretty low across all the days. My lungs didn't work much. My kidneys are probably the things that worked the hardest. I don't know, I should have a blood test to see what's going on internally.
  12. The Dimond boys, did they just drive from Iowa (I assume this is where the Van is based) and if so, are they getting on a barge in San Francisco to float it to Kona in November with Sammy Inkanen rowing the barge with the van (his FTP could probably handle it). Yes Ethan and Chris drove 1500 miles, with a detour to N Carolina to do some test rides. When I last checked, Chris was near Tampa doing some test rides, he's heading toward California for Oceanside. Here is the Dimond Van schedule. I'm just going to get some big corporate sponsorship and paint a Dimond Helicopter for UM Hawaii.

On number 12, I think we need either Sir Richard Branson to sponsor with his Virgin line of businesses, or get on the Breitling sponsorship train. Either one should cover you and the Dimond boys. Speaking of which if you buy a Dimond and do an ultraman do you get the celebrity rockstar treatment or do you have to actually be fast to get the full van support. I just got a cheque from Etrade cashing out some stock....
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely get the rock star treatment. TJ himself turned up at mile 30 to do some cheerleading. Plus with Ethan and Chris there, it was like a team of soigneurs - I didn't have to even look at my bike after racing. They cleaned and tuned it up after each day.

Breitling sounds good, please make the intros ;-)
Also, Haribo should sponsor me since I consumed more gummy worms than humanly possible during the run

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I definitely get the rock star treatment. TJ himself turned up at mile 30 to do some cheerleading. Plus with Ethan and Chris there, it was like a team of soigneurs - I didn't have to even look at my bike after racing. They cleaned and tuned it up after each day.

Breitling sounds good, please make the intros ;-)
Also, Haribo should sponsor me since I consumed more gummy worms than humanly possible during the run

OK, I'm on it...I think the Dimond is as fast as these aircraft so the next time I go thru Heathrow Airport duty free, I expect to see an Ultraman Florida picture in the Breitling display:

We would also need to get the Breitling guys to add a GPS feature to the watch that does not let the athlete run slower than 8 min per mile.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Feb 26, 16 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: Ask me anything about Ultraman Florida [ckemeny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ckemeny wrote:
I cannot speak to the circumstances leading up to Mark being accepted into the 2016 race, but below is the announcement regarding his ban. I hope it clarifies things for people. Just pulling out the facts... He was banned in Australia only. He most definitely could have raced outside of Australia during his ban and his ban expired in January of 2016.

Under the Triathlon Australia Member Protection Policy, Western Australia triathlete Mark Robson has been suspended from annual and one day membership of Triathlon Australia for a period of two years.

The sanction was imposed by the Board of Triathlon Australia after Triathlon Western Australia received complaints from several members about the actions of Mr Robson in triathlon events held in Western Australia between 2011 and 2013. After an initial review of the facts, Triathlon Western Australia referred the matter to Triathlon Australia. An investigation into the allegations was conducted by an independent firm of investigators and their report concluded that:

Mr Robson engaged in deliberate and pre-meditated actions to gain an unfair advantage in the 2013 IRONMAN 70.3 Busselton event.
On the balance of probabilities Mr Robson engaged in deliberate and pre-meditated actions to gain an unfair advantage in other significant triathlon events identified between 2011 and 2013.

Mr Robsons suspension commenced on 9 January 2014 and will conclude on 8 January 2016. During this time, he is ineligible for both annual and one day membership of Triathlon Australia. He has also been retrospectively disqualified from the four events identified and he is required to return any awards or prizes won at these races.

OK, thanks for clarifying mate.
Quote Reply

Prev Next