Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So what goes through your mind...swim/bike/run? Training?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering. For all out there. During races and training sessions. What do you guys think of? Is there a mental technique you may want to share? I'm trying to learn better ways to get into the "zone" so to speak..

For me. In the pool, I concentrate on my breathing and technique. Critical of my form and try to ensure I'm not wasting energy. My mind sometimes wanders....

Races....i often get the "wtf am I doing this for....and I paid to do this..." Usually followed with an inner smile to myself because I actually love it all.

Share....
Last edited by: Cdn750rr: Feb 23, 16 21:01
Quote Reply
Re: So what goes through your mind...swim/bike/run? Training? [Cdn750rr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the people that thought I was fucking shit and how I'm gonna eradicate some god damm legs
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Feb 24, 16 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: So what goes through your mind...swim/bike/run? Training? [Cdn750rr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During training I think about my objectives, and why they mean so much to me, and I focus on the strength I am earning through the work I'm doing. During races I think about the value of doing something that will make me feel proud. After races I think mainly about cheeseburgers and IPA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what goes through my mind during a workout??

::to the tone of william tells overture, better known as the lone ranger theme song::

pedal pedal pedal pedal pedaaaal... pedal pedal pedal pedal i-really-want-a-snaaaaaaack

Brooklyn Tri Dad
https://www.facebook.com/brooklyntridad/?ref=hl
http://brooklyntridad.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/BrooklynTriDad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I train right after work during the week it is normally problems at work for the first 10 or 15 minutes, sometimes longer. That normally gives way to concentrating on staying safe on the road in the big city in the dark (running) or navigating traffic (on the bike outdoors) or holding my power even (on the trainer). For swimming I am constantly thinking about my form. Swimming takes enough concentration that work only encroaches once in a while.

On Sunday I am fortunate enough to have a wife that also trains and does about the same thing at the same effort, so we get to talk and catch up on things for 2 hours.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ideally nothing.

During my best training sessions the output and positive feedback from my body becomes consuming and thought is a distraction.

I believe that motivation during races comes from a place deeper than our conscious thought. Mental strategies can sometime help in the darkest of racing times, but I think that being present with your physical situation is most helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's my escape from the world in the pool. I focus on business, personal relationships etc. Great chance to ditch distractions of the world and get lost in thought. At some point being comfortable being uncomfortable became my happy place....no cars, no email, no phones.....my clarity place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How slow I am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what I am doing. If I am just cruising along at endurance paces, then I am usually using the time to let my mind clear. Or sometimes I just think about whatever I feel needs brain time that I hadn't gotten to at that point in the day. When the session starts getting long, and I start wishing for it to be over, then I start picturing my A-race and how I am going to perform at it. So if I am in the pool, I mentally put myself in the lake or ocean the race is taking place in and imagining it is race day. Same with the bike and run although it is harder to do if I am on a trainer or treadmill (just since I am not going anywhere).

If I am pushing hard into an interval, all I am thinking of is how long it is until I get to recover. Not much useful thought goes through my mind when it hurts. During the recovery, when I know I am not looking forward to the next interval I tell myself why I am doing this, and that the next interval is going to get me one step closer to the goal I set months before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During training, I think about the fitness I am gaining by doing it. I basically just know that every minute that I am doing work (while not pushing a possible injury), I am getting better, faster, stronger.

During racing, I am thinking of when I will catch the next dude in front of me. I don't actually remember much about races. They just go by - I don't think a lot, I just go.

If you have energy to think during races, you might want to start pushing harder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: So what goes through your mind...swim/bike/run? Training? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
If you have energy to think during races, you might want to start pushing harder.

Even at IM distance, I am too "busy" to think about anything in particular. The whole ride, I am checking my watts, watching where I am going, checking the time to know when to eat, etc for the entire ride. During the run, same thing, but it's all about either keeping someone in my sight, or calculating how fast I am closing in, and if I need to back my own pace off, or what time is it I have to eat, etc.

Especially during the run I find if I start letting my mind wander off the task at hand, the pain creeps in. I can put the pain away as long as I keep my mind on the task, but if I start letting go of that control, the first thing I think about is how good it will feel to stop, how good that post-race beer will be, then the pain rushes in. I can't afford to "think" about anything during the IM run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pre-Race: I am soooooo excited!
Swim: I HATE SWIMMING!
Bike: I HATE BIKING!
Run: I HATE RUNNING!
Post-Race: That felt so good, I can't wait for the next one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think about the fact that I have just started on this journey, that many people are years ahead and that if I don't push myself, they will just extend the gap. I try and motivate myself by recognizing the fact that I am the only one in the gym on a Friday night, or the only one in the pool early on Saturday. Friday nights are pretty cool as i'm training indoors, while on the treadmill I look out over a pretty busy intersection downtown, watching everyone head out for a night of drinking and partying is a huge motivation for me. Counting how many people get onto the treadmill next to me in the time that I do a long run (yes, still slow but getting there).

In between, I think about my kids, family etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right when I start any activity: "I'm gonna kill this today"
Immediately after I start any activity: "this sucks, what the hell am I doing out here"
Halfway through any activity: "Gawd, this is SO right. I can't believe everyone doesn't do this. I'm so amazing. Yay me!"
Almost through any activity: "Why does everything hurt? Is everything supposed to hurt? I thought I was fit."
Done with any activity: "That was the right thing to do, and I feel great"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I'm running I tend to get focused on training-related topics and think them through ad nauseum, in between focusing on traffic to make sure I don't get run over. Also, lately I have a constant soundtrack of kids songs running through my head as a result of all the noisemaking baby toys in our house.

On the trainer I try to watch TV shows or documentaries that don't require much thought so I can loosely pay attention but focus on the effort when I need to.

Same on the treadmill, but I mostly end up thinking about what a strange form of self-inflicted torture it is and counting the tenths of miles and/or seconds until I'm done.

I'm not swimming much at the moment but when I do, I'm bad enough at it that I'm pretty much constantly focused on my form, breathing, etc. Unless I see a band-aid or a big hair in the pool, then I spend the next 10 minutes trying to block out the fact that I'm swallowing copious amounts of pool water that is contaminated by whatever disgusting thing I just saw.
Last edited by: Dgconner154: Feb 24, 16 7:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm strange it would seem but everybody has their own methods I guess. In training I'm always thinking about my competition and what they may be doing that very moment. How I have to remain diligent and consistent in my approach so that I can increase my abilities more than they are (since these are the guys who beat me more often than not). I think about my short comings and what training I'm not doing that I've heard can be beneficial to endurance sport. The last thing I focus on, and the most important thing, is the session's goals. I've also been known to belt out a "F*#K YOU (INSERT COMPETITOR NAME)" while really pushing myself.

Racing is a bit different because I'm no longer alone and in my own head. I see people at turn arounds, racks in transition, and noise from the crowd. When I am swimming I think about my wife/dog being in trouble and I need to get to them before any harm comes to them. On the bike I'm thinking "SHUT UP LEGS I OWN YOU" and finally on the run I am thinking something/one is chasing me with ill intentions and if I don't pick up my pace I'm going to wind up a victim of horror. Every one of these mental "tricks" give my body a real sense of urgency during events and allows me to perform outside myself at times.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Feb 24, 16 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow. i'm really surprised by all the folks actively thinking. no matter what i'm doing (S/B/R) i'm daydreaming or zoning. sometimes i come up with questions i want to ask my kids or a little list of stuff i want to do but usually i'm solving world peace or totally zoned out. i have a hard time remembering the lap i'm on (swimming) or when the km comes up to catch my split (running). many times i'll look up on the bike and wonder how i got there.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When running outside:
Left Side of the Brain [looking at watch]: OK, so we're at such-and-such a pace right now, the next mile marker is X-hundred yards ahead, so if we get to that turn in so many minutes and seconds we'll be doing a something minute split which should get us to the next marker after that in such time and we'll be back home at whatever o'clock

Right Side of the Brain: What a pretty sunrise! Do I smell coffee?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends, a lot of things. I work a lot of just life out in my head while I run, have worked out a lot of issues in my Asics and Brooks. When I bike I'm more concerned about traffic, how I'm going to navigate different climbs, ect. Swimming is more technique thoughts and keeping track of the distance to keep my mind busy.

When racing it's on the guy ahead of me and what I have to do to catch/pass him most of the time. When I hurt I go over MRTTB - my wife and children's names, I focus on their faces and think about them. Sometimes if I'm struggling I'll visualize correct technique and concentrate on my form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do I think during training?
Swim: "Relax. Don't panic. Think about anything but your breathing."
Bike: Alternating, "This bike is sooo freakin' cool--way faster than I am," and "Keep spinning--I have got to work on my power"
Run: Anything in the world.

What do I think during racing?

I get very ZEN. "What am I supposed to be doing right now--this very second?"
Swim: "Stay in this wake; don't stop." Then. "It's all downhill from here."
Bike: "Shift, tuck, spin, steer, ski the peddles, drink," mixed with, "This is so cool," and then, "Time to shine."
Run: "Check your virtual partner. Behind? Lift those knees just a hair. Ahead? Relax, but just barely. Check your virtual partner. Adjust. Gu. Drink. Check your virtual partner."

Followed by: I better pick another race before I land on the couch.

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Quote Reply
Re: So what goes through your mind...swim/bike/run? Training? [ddthomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all. Loved reading the responses.

But has anyone perfected a technique on how to get into the zone???

That feeling where you're so In-tuned with both body and mind. Where a 40k bike feels like a blurr. Or a 5k run just disappears. With little memory of it. This happens to me once in a while. I'd like to teach myself how to perfect it while at a high level of performance out of myself. Controlled

This happened at my last 70.3 in the swim. Before I knew it....I was getting out of the water. Felt like a 15min swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not exactly, but as far as I can tell it's a combination of things for me. When I'm well-rested, well-hydrated, eating decently, and most importantly not stressed about work or family stuff, that's when I feel like I can sort of zone out and perform my best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cdn750rr wrote:
Thank you all. Loved reading the responses.

But has anyone perfected a technique on how to get into the zone???

That feeling where you're so In-tuned with both body and mind. Where a 40k bike feels like a blurr. Or a 5k run just disappears. With little memory of it. This happens to me once in a while. I'd like to teach myself how to perfect it while at a high level of performance out of myself. Controlled

This happened at my last 70.3 in the swim. Before I knew it....I was getting out of the water. Felt like a 15min swim.

Sounds like you're talking about "flow state" - here's a simple article that speaks to that. I especially like the list of 10 components of "flow" and like to apply them as much as possible to training/racing:

http://psychology.about.com/od/PositivePsychology/a/flow.htm

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ble ble ble ble ble ble ble ble ble ble ble ble ble ble...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During a lot of my long endurance training I focus on my race goals. For next IM I want to go sub 11 so the constant rhythm of 1:10+5:45+3:55 plays out in my head. and thinking about if I am biking/ running fast enough to obtain that goal.
Right now my wife and I are expecting our first child and this will probably be my last 140.6 for a few years, so my "zone out" thinking often goes to that. Will it be a boy or a girl, what it will be like to hold them for the first time, what will it be like crossing that finish line and seeing my (at that point) 7.5 month wife, and how there is no way that dad is going to be a "quitter" on this race. Then my watch beeps and tells me my mile split and I realize I have to run faster.
Quote Reply

Prev Next