Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chuckie V?
Quote | Reply
Last I heard he hiked the Pennine Way and went to hike the AT. Any word?

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V? [aarondavidson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last I heard he had be DQ'd for drinking a beer on the course at Kona. If I remember correctly it was for having glass on the course, not for drinking the beer.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I miss his blog.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a post I did last summer:

Chuckle had some mental health issues if I remember correctly and checked out. About 2 years ago or so a friends of mine was doing a thru hike on the AT and ran into him there. Chuckie had a trail blog going for a bit but it wasn't kept very up to date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is still the latest, as far as I know

http://cloudpennine.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
From a post I did last summer:

Chuckle had some mental health issues if I remember correctly and checked out. About 2 years ago or so a friends of mine was doing a thru hike on the AT and ran into him there. Chuckie had a trail blog going for a bit but it wasn't kept very up to date.

Thanks, I heard he was on the trail but never anything about him coming off or finishing. It would have been 2013.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's all I know as well. Been a couple of years since he went silent.

Chuckie is the most interesting person I know. One of the best coaches anywhere. He needs to come back.

He's a bit of a mystery. Intelligent enough to be affected by existential depression, but not to have seen it coming and obtained a degree/work outside of triathlon?
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
This is still the latest, as far as I know

http://cloudpennine.blogspot.com/

He started a blog about his Appalachian trail journey.

http://www.trailjournals.com/....cfm?trailname=14848

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently the answer to your question is that no one has a clue. I do miss his witty, entertaining training blogs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping an old thread...

Anyone have an update on Chuckie V?

I continue to wait patiently for his triumphant return
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1

He's been off the grid for about 4-5 years now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a big Chuckie V fan. I remember when he won Ironman Canada in 1999, I thought that this race was his "triumphant return". Unfortunately, less than 2 months later it was followed by his Kona DQ. I don't think that he's ever been the same?!?!

His coaching blog was GREAT! I wish that it was archieved somewhere to still review.

I hate to hear of his mental health issues. My father suffered from mental health issues for the last 40 years of his life. The general public has no idea how a brilliant dynamic person can turn reclusive and withdraw from society. Unfortunately, I saw it happen to my father right in front of my eyes. I do not know the specifics of Chuckie V's condition, but I wish him the best and hope that he is doing well.
Last edited by: kbd: Nov 10, 17 2:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the Road with Chuckie V

I wish he would resurface...
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. I appreciated his insights and would like to look over his old blog again. David K
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
On the Road with Chuckie V

I wish he would resurface...

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Bumping an old thread...

Anyone have an update on Chuckie V?

I continue to wait patiently for his triumphant return

Chuckie V used to live in my mom's basement when he first made the transition for road racing to Tri. When I moved to a different house after grad school I used to store his junk at my house. I had a spare Zipp V bike, lots of wheels, a few old trophys and one of those rreally cool tensioned Campy disc wheels sitting in the basement.

The last time he stopped by was to get his stuff in the late 90's. Haven't seen him since, but I still laugh when I think about all the goofy stuff he used to do. A total character and just plain fun to be around. I wish him all the best and he can come live in my basement whenever he wants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a feeling that there are some industry old timers that have some idea of his whereabouts but out of respect for his privacy they don't say anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know there are several members here concerned about CV and him flying under the radar. I have known him good 10 years back or so but lately silence. Well. HE LIVES!

https://arizonasonoranewsservice.com/?p=33312

Last edited by: Dilbert: Feb 19, 21 11:16
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
I know there are several members here concerned about CV and him flying under the radar. I have known him good 10 years back or so but lately silence. Well. HE LIVES!

Holy cow!!! I would never have recognized him. Glad he is out there smiling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update.

He was a pretty fast dude, I crossed (triathlon) paths with him a couple of times in the 90s.

Cool that he is enjoying the wide open ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1/3 of the trinity of mythical tri-folk
1/3 = CowMan
___/3 = your call

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

Wow it has been about a quarter century since the last time I saw Chuckie V, but that smile is the exact same one I remember so well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next