Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick question: are we locked into the stock stem with the IA 16? Any reason I couldn't use a standard 31.8 stem or one of TriRig's Sigma stems? I'm seriously considering the new IA 16 with an Omega front brake, Sigma stem, and 3T's new aero bars.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Tririg Sigma will work, but a stock 31.8 will not, its too tall for the pre-cut steerer tube.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you now that the downtube is too narrow to do this. The NUB on the camel back where the hose attached has too much girth to fit in the bike.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
BryanD wrote:
....The base plate idea is perfect. You can attach a bolt on bento box and then everything will be fine. The IA aerobars are flush with the bento box so it may screw up the airflow, but it will work.

You could easily shape a Calpac-free cover so that the airflow is as good or better. it could even be two part item, in this case the main part would be a base plate incorporating standard mounting bolts to allow you to mount a 3rd party box. The second part would be a fairing that mounts on the bolts if you aren't using a box to improve the airflow behind the headtube/stem. No reason this shouldn't be even better than the existing bento box for airflow purposes.

Callin' wrote:
is it really that bad that you get upset just looking at it? honest question, because I am considering a used IA1 frame

It's not good.
Being an engineer and having a design background I get really annoyed by needlessly poor design, especially when it undermines a lot of good work elsewhere. If this was a very complex and involved component, some minor issues could be forgiven. But it's not a complex item and the flaws aren't that minor. It's a simple stash box for some gels. Sometimes it's tricky to get a simple thing just right but it should be difficult to get it this wrong without realising it.
I am often a bit of a perfectionist and may be irritated by fairly minor things most wouldn't be bothered by. However in this case I'm not being a perfectionist, and I'm not the only one who's unimpressed.

I think what you guys all forget is that was supposed to be a hydration feature that got scrapped thanks to a patent another manufacturer has. The bento box was obviously their attempt to make use of the space and provide some kind of additional storage space for nutrition. While it's not perfect I don't think they had this in their design from the beginning. If you were designing a bike and knew the market wanted bento boxes I'd say that's where their train of thought was in doing this. I think they did a decent job given they were likely on a limited time frame, got side swiped by a ludacris patent, and likely already had the carbon fiber layout schedules in play.

I have faith that Anton, Dave and the rest of the team at Felt are hard at work to give alternative options or working with 3rd parties now that there is some more breathing room.

------
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im currently testing some solutions via my 3d printer
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep me posted. I had begun a project but the designer I was working with flaked out and I just haven't had time to find a new one.

------
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
I can tell you now that the downtube is too narrow to do this. The NUB on the camel back where the hose attached has too much girth to fit in the bike.

That's too bad. I was looking at my Camelback bladder earlier and it would only need about 1 1/4 inch. You sure we don't have that? I'll have to find a different bladder.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found this when I first got my bike. I have not had it long enough to start hacking it up yet.

http://tri-run.nl/...sealage-for-felt-ia/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had purchased a specialized Shiv bladder in Size small. I have the 51cm IA frame and I couldn't get it to fit into the downtime. Perhaps larger sizes allow for more clearance? I'm not sure how we'd confirm that short of having the engineers specs.

I had an entire thread on this last year. There are some links to DIY projects other IA owners have done.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...tomization_P5426788/

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get this off the ground but I have a lot of details for the planning, I have the misfortune of being unable to design in CAD or 3D Print things ... yet. Clif Blocks work well in there due to shape. I've also taped gels together and made a "snake" of them. I could get 3 gels in easily and 2 sets of 3 gel snakes if I'm not mistaken.

------
Last edited by: cshowe80: Feb 4, 16 16:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave, thanks for being so helpful in all of these threads.

I'm seriously thinking of picking up an IA16 but have a few questions:
1. Are the dropouts aluminum?
2. Are the logos on the frame (circled in pic below) removeable decals or are they paint? If they are decals, can I remove them without voiding the warranty?
3. I'm thinking of moving the Di2 over from my existing bike. Where would the battery go in the frame? I would run a TriRig Sigma stem so junction box A would reside in the stem. I assume junction box B just kinda sits in the frame somewhere above the bottom bracket?

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on my felt ia1 all the logos are decals
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's huge for me, thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of the new bike decals I've seen are under clear coat. Are these? I like the look of the bike, I just want to clear this up.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
all i can speak to is my personal ia1 feameset, which has decals over the paint
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [se7930] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
se7930 wrote:
I heard Felt is working on a replacement cover for the bento box. Dont have any details other than they were working on a redesign. SD might be able to provide more information on that

You are correct, there are a few dozen RP samples already developed and nearly ready for injection tooling.
In a perfect world the frame inner wall surface itself would be the box, then you'd only need a "bottom" and the volume would be maximized for each size.

As with most things, nearly every new idea has already been used at some point and a great deal of the obvious solutions are patent-protected so a work-around is needed.
It is not execution that is slowing V2.1 of the box it's a combination of factors including potential litigation.

Getting the IA-x into production, then getting the volume ramped up to handle IA16 sales has been the highest priority and I regret letting those of you down who have been unable to cope with the V1.0 or 1.1 storage on the original product.
On the other hand the IA16, we promised in March was delivered in January.

An upgrade is coming.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:
all i can speak to is my personal ia1 feameset, which has decals over the paint

No, your IA1 has masked off gloss clear coat paint over the water transfer decals applied UNDER the matte finish.
There are no decals over the paint.

We do not use decals to achieve those matte/gloss combo finishes, it's all paint masking.
Quite expensive really as decals are much cheaper but will eventually shrink and crack/peel so we do it the hard way.

-Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, is part of the bento box revision a hydration system? My IA16 arrives at the shop on Wednesday and I'm planning to convert the bento to hydration using a Specialized bladder. If Felt has something in the works for Hydration, I'll wait and see what comes out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
se7930 wrote:
I heard Felt is working on a replacement cover for the bento box. Dont have any details other than they were working on a redesign. SD might be able to provide more information on that

You are correct, there are a few dozen RP samples already developed and nearly ready for injection tooling....
That's great news. thanks for letting us know Dave.
Any idea when this is likely to become available?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
se7930 wrote:

On the other hand the IA16, we promised in March was delivered in January.

-SD
This is why we need a like button on the forum. I would also note that the new batch of IA10's came a bit sooner than expected as well. I'm fitting three of them tomorrow for some very excited clients.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
se7930 wrote:

You are correct, there are a few dozen RP samples already developed and nearly ready for injection tooling....

That's great news. thanks for letting us know Dave.
Any idea when this is likely to become available?

If I had to guess I would say before 2017.
I would also say it won't be until it is a substantial and worthwhile improvement.
We do not need another imperfect solution.
-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Yes, I agree, the Bento box is a great opportunity that's been botched.
Felt must know this is a commonly held view so I'm very surprised they didn't take the opportunity to give it a proper overhaul on the IAx frame.

I think it's too small but that's a minor complaint compared to the other two problems. The access hatch is fiddly and poorly positioned. But by far the biggest problem is the method of attaching the cover. It slides down over locating stubs which do not provide a positive or precise engagement. You're left with a cover that looks poor because it's distorted and often out of position and a component that needs to be handled but that you're afraid to handle in case it comes lose.
Until I saw it in person, the bento box was a selling point for me. Once I'd seen it I was put off the whole bike to a large extent. It's a massive and needless weakness in an otherwise great bike. If it was a modular component you could simply not use it, but it's there whether you want it or not.
I don't think I can live with it and I'm looking at ways to replace it with something that'll do the job properly. As it is I have a bike I otherwise love but which makes me angry every time I look at it because of that bloody bento box. Nice idea, horrendous implementation.

IMO, Felt would do themselves a massive favour if they looked at two actions:
1. Sort out the design problems with the existing Calpac & cover and sell the new solution as a replacement part.
2. Sell an alternative blanking component that could be substituted for the Calpac to close up the top tube and fair it to the stem. This would provide a solution for anyone who either doesn't need a bento box or doesn't like the provided solution. A single component moulded from plastic would do the job.

I have #2 on my bike now as I'm only using it for 8-41km TT.
Alternatives are indeed coming.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting fitted on my IA10 in 2.5 hours! Although this is right about when Felt thought it would be available when I ordered.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to buy just the IA16 frame with the fork and or just the frameset with the frame/fork/aerobars? I'd like to put eTap with SRAM groupset on it and would rather not get stuck with the spec components.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IA10 frames will be available.
It is possible an eTap bike will be also
SD

Quote Reply

Prev Next