Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Feb. 1 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 1 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So much better, thanks for asking. :-)

Last week: Get the hell better dammit - last meet of the year is on the 13th and we have a ski trip to Whistler coming up...
- run x2 if at all - SKIPPED but did a lot of walking
- skate x1 if at all (already skipped today's skate, will coach tomorrow and maybe skate easy, taking Sat off to go out of town) - DONE but very slow and easy, and I could feel my hand throbbing after ~20min so it was short.
- go look at a property about 3hrs from here on Sunday - it's a log-style house on 5 acres.... I'm sure the dog will love it, but will we... :-) - DONE and a lot of pros, but some serious cons. Further investigation reqauir
- rest, sleep, stretch, drills, core...- DONE :-)

This week: pitter patter let's get back at 'er + Whistler trip this weekend :-)
- Run 3x, 4th is a bonus
- Skate 3x
- Ride maybe once if I can shift & the weather is OK
- Continue to work my thumb & hand around, work on trying to get some grip strength back, heat + massage helps
- Snowboard like a demon on Sat & Sun - BOOYEAH

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go forth and shred, Andy!

Last week's goals:
swim x 3: win with 4
bike x 1: win with 2 and ermagherd I got to ride outside! In sunshine! At 5 freakin' degrees (Celsius)! It was GNARSOME!
run x 5: win with 6
core/strength x 4: win

Got almost 58k of running in last week, which is pretty solid for 2 weeks out from that 25k trail race. My long run on Saturday (21.5k) was done at way too high an intensity since I was racing the fading light but I came out of it ok. It wasn't until yesterday that my left knee started getting grouchy. Need to settle its hash..

This week's goals:
swim x 3
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4

Need to strike some kind of balance between training and recovery in the next couple of weeks..

Quote | Reply
I had a good week last week, including setting two PRs in a swim meet on Saturday (1:06.66 in the 100 free and 12:03.11 in the 1000) and a near-PR in the 500 (5:57.18). I had a nice endorphin glow from the time the meet ended until a day or so later, so that felt really good. I swam on Sunday because I sorta dig that post-race soreness, so a total of 7 swims and 15,500 yds for the week. I ran 6 days for a couple tenths over 55 miles, including 2 speed workouts (one 6x 800 and one 3 x 1 mi). I did not manage to get on my bike, though I finally fixed a flat...

goals for this week = at least 1 day off from running, swim 5-6 days, GET ON BIKE.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Feb. 1 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the other thing going on for me this week is that a friend died on Monday. John was a fellow PhD student and we started here at the same time, have taken classes together, and his desk is/was next to mine. Very nice guy, has a son that is somewhere between 9 and 12 yrs old (none of us could agree on this yesterday), was a GREAT dad :-( I knew John had some health problems but none of us were expecting him to die. He had gone to the ER on Sunday with chest pain but they released him, and he died at his home Monday morning.

They told us yesterday (Tuesday) morning. I spent yesterday in shock/disbelief/denial. I am still sort of getting used to the idea that I am not going to see him again. I feel too overwhelmed and shocked to be sad... I am in this I-don't-really-understand place. At 6 pm yesterday when I was still in my office doing work, I realised I was distracting myself, and had been all day, because I didn't want to think about the fact that my friend and colleague is dead. I brought some journal articles home to read in the evening so I could keep distracting myself. I did talk with my mom twice and my brother once yesterday so that helped a little bit.

So that's what's going on with me. :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's sad. I'm sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear this. Hugs to you.

The last week or so has been just ok for me. We are down a car through no fault of our own, so we've been sharing a car by day and truck shopping in the evenings. I've been fighting a cold. We finally closed on a refinance that took five fucking months. My cousin has been in town. I got some new assignments at work that could mean a promotion/raise down the road but for right now is just "more work." Etc., etc., etc.

So last week I just did one swim, one run, and two bike trainer sessions, with a bit of pre-hab thrown in. BLEH. The good news is my left IT band didn't start twingeing until mile 2.1 or so of my run, when before it let me know it was starting to get unhappy at about mile 1.7... progress? I am trying not to get discouraged about running 2 x 3 miles per week at 11-minute-mile paces when I was doing 25-30 miles a week at this time last year. =( I am honestly happy to be running at all so I am trying to stay positive.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply