Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
I am going to buy a IA16 in the next few days, Trying to figure out what size frame to get. I did a GURU fit a couple months ago that has me on a 56 with a 90mm stem at 6 degree and 35mm of spacers, when I plug in my stack reach measurements into the Felt Fit Calculator it has 3 recommendations ( see below)
56 with carbon aerobars +5 with reach 2mm
54 with alloy bars +20 with reach 20mm
54 carbon aerobar +20+bridge +5 with reach 20mm

my pad reach is 490, Pad stack is 627 and seat height is 727 (according to the guru)
I am 6 foot 1 inch, any help would be appreciated, just dont want to get he wrong size frame. and all the numbers have my head spinning, am I overthinking it and the 56 is right for me?

56cm is right for you.
enjoy,
SD
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What front brake came with the 10? Also, I asked earlier but didn't see an answer; what size Qbox did you get for which size IA frame?

It looks good!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It comes with the Vision TriMax Aero Caliper. My frame is a 54 so I ordered the size 54 Qbox, which is interchangeable with their 52 frame. If my IA was a 56 I would still order the 54 QBOX.

I am still on the fence about it but it is growing on me. I do think it would look really good on the all black IA16, it may be the white that is throwing it off for me.
Last edited by: 7ofClubs: Feb 1, 16 15:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the 10 came with parts that are good enough to keep but not the best. The 16 comes with parts that will come right off. After I place my order today the next thing I'll do is call Tririg. Only issue is to order the Omega + Alpha X and wait until April or get the Alpha C and get it now.

Talk about your first world problems.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Yeah, the 10 came with parts that are good enough to keep but not the best. The 16 comes with parts that will come right off. After I place my order today the next thing I'll do is call Tririg. Only issue is to order the Omega + Alpha X and wait until April or get the Alpha C and get it now.

Talk about your first world problems.

If angling the extensions works for you, keeping the stock aero bar on the IA 16 will be much faster than swapping out to a Tri Rig bar.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

''If angling the extensions works for you, keeping the stock aero bar on the IA 16 will be much faster than swapping out to a Tri Rig bar.[/quote]
You just might be right. I got fit and ordered the IA16 today. They didn't have the bike there but they will have it for me in less than 2 weeks. I saw the Bayonet3 bar on one of the other Felt tri bikes and it's very nice; not a lot of front to back distance but it is very thin facing the wind. The base bar is not going go be my first issue. The front brake will be though, that will be ordered later.

I looked at the IA3 while I was there, it was beautiful. Can't wait to get out and ride on the IA16 in this great Northeastern February weather.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone got the new IA10 or IA14 in the smaller sizes like 48,51? I am still waiting for my IA14 size 48 ordered back in August last year...
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Gjadams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gjadams wrote:
Do you happen to have a photo or link to the manual on how to do this? I'm wondering if it takes some parts that I didn't get with my bike when I picked it up. This is for the IA10 with the alloy bar. Thanks!

The manual is on our website for the Bayonet3 handlebars:

https://www.feltbicycles.com/Resources/Manuals/Felt_Bayonet_3_Alloy_AeroBar_Manual.pdf

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SBR28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBR28 wrote:
Has anyone got the new IA10 or IA14 in the smaller sizes like 48,51? I am still waiting for my IA14 size 48 ordered back in August last year...

That is a surprise. Where did you order the bike from?
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Updated the saddle and added P1 Pedals. Need to get a rear disc to go with the front Flo 60 I already have then figure out hydration and storage options.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [se7930] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's everyone think of the integrated bento box? really like the looks of this bike but when I checked one out at the shop the bento box thingy was a bit cumbersome...
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [cpotter88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't own a Felt IA. I've seen the IA in person and the IA14. I don't like the bento box. It's a great idea but it's just not implemented very well.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I don't own a Felt IA. I've seen the IA in person and the IA14. I don't like the bento box. It's a great idea but it's just not implemented very well.

I agree. I saw the IA live for the first time a couple of days ago. There isn't much room in there, but I think there is a lot of potential there. My first thought i; what would happen if you took the whole thing out and slid Camelback bladder down in the hole. You would have the big Camelback filler to support it. I should have my IA16 in 10 days and I'll see if I can do it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard Felt is working on a replacement cover for the bento box. Dont have any details other than they were working on a redesign. SD might be able to provide more information on that
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [se7930] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope so.....SD, any insight? Don't want to rule out this bike and an option for 2016, but something needs to be redesigned for the bento box.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [cpotter88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I agree, the Bento box is a great opportunity that's been botched.
Felt must know this is a commonly held view so I'm very surprised they didn't take the opportunity to give it a proper overhaul on the IAx frame.

I think it's too small but that's a minor complaint compared to the other two problems. The access hatch is fiddly and poorly positioned. But by far the biggest problem is the method of attaching the cover. It slides down over locating stubs which do not provide a positive or precise engagement. You're left with a cover that looks poor because it's distorted and often out of position and a component that needs to be handled but that you're afraid to handle in case it comes lose.
Until I saw it in person, the bento box was a selling point for me. Once I'd seen it I was put off the whole bike to a large extent. It's a massive and needless weakness in an otherwise great bike. If it was a modular component you could simply not use it, but it's there whether you want it or not.
I don't think I can live with it and I'm looking at ways to replace it with something that'll do the job properly. As it is I have a bike I otherwise love but which makes me angry every time I look at it because of that bloody bento box. Nice idea, horrendous implementation.

IMO, Felt would do themselves a massive favour if they looked at two actions:
1. Sort out the design problems with the existing Calpac & cover and sell the new solution as a replacement part.
2. Sell an alternative blanking component that could be substituted for the Calpac to close up the top tube and fair it to the stem. This would provide a solution for anyone who either doesn't need a bento box or doesn't like the provided solution. A single component moulded from plastic would do the job.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
super dave
my LBS told me that he called Felt who said that they will be getting new IAs in within next few weeks but if they don't have the size i want (IA 16 - 56), it will be May

does that sound right to you ?

how can FELT not know what sizes they are getting on - i wonder if LBS is using another supplier?

thank you
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
super dave
my LBS told me that he called Felt who said that they will be getting new IAs in within next few weeks but if they don't have the size i want (IA 16 - 56), it will be May

does that sound right to you ?

how can FELT not know what sizes they are getting on - i wonder if LBS is using another supplier?

thank you

Similar to what I was told. They told me that they could get a limited number of IA16's and after that there would be a long wait. My size 56 is supposed to be at the shop in 10 days.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Yes, I agree, the Bento box is a great opportunity that's been botched.
Felt must know this is a commonly held view so I'm very surprised they didn't take the opportunity to give it a proper overhaul on the IAx frame.

I think it's too small but that's a minor complaint compared to the other two problems. The access hatch is fiddly and poorly positioned. But by far the biggest problem is the method of attaching the cover. It slides down over locating stubs which do not provide a positive or precise engagement. You're left with a cover that looks poor because it's distorted and often out of position and a component that needs to be handled but that you're afraid to handle in case it comes lose.
Until I saw it in person, the bento box was a selling point for me. Once I'd seen it I was put off the whole bike to a large extent. It's a massive and needless weakness in an otherwise great bike. If it was a modular component you could simply not use it, but it's there whether you want it or not.
I don't think I can live with it and I'm looking at ways to replace it with something that'll do the job properly. As it is I have a bike I otherwise love but which makes me angry every time I look at it because of that bloody bento box. Nice idea, horrendous implementation.

IMO, Felt would do themselves a massive favour if they looked at two actions:
1. Sort out the design problems with the existing Calpac & cover and sell the new solution as a replacement part.
2. Sell an alternative blanking component that could be substituted for the Calpac to close up the top tube and fair it to the stem. This would provide a solution for anyone who either doesn't need a bento box or doesn't like the provided solution. A single component moulded from plastic would do the job.

I agree with everything you have said. The bento box is so important for nutrition that as much as I love the way the Felt IAx looks, I'm not sure I would buy one right now because I'd be pissed at the bento box. The base plate idea is perfect. You can attach a bolt on bento box and then everything will be fine. The IA aerobars are flush with the bento box so it may screw up the airflow, but it will work.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is it really that bad that you get upset just looking at it? honest question, because I am considering a used IA1 frame

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No but use infinit so it does not bother me. However, it is a poorly executed design unless you have E.T. fingers.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say its that bad to look at.

I do think it could have been designed better. The top isnt that secure on there, I have had it almost come off twice in the last month while riding. It would be nice if it had a little more space in it, and if the opening was a little larger to help get things in and out easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7ofClubs wrote:
Your charging /junction box should be concealed behind the access panel seen in the picture below. To remove you will need a T9 torx. You should not have anything dangling or taped from your aerobars. Felt seems to have made a place for everything on this bike.

Hi,

I am putting together my new IA10 and have a question that you guys could may answer.

If I place the junction box where is suppose to be, how do you guys route the cables. I mean, if I route all the di2 cables through the handlebar, then there is not enough cable to return them from the back of the stem to the junction box.

Can any of you explain me a little how has your routed or post a couple of pictures.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
....The base plate idea is perfect. You can attach a bolt on bento box and then everything will be fine. The IA aerobars are flush with the bento box so it may screw up the airflow, but it will work.
You could easily shape a Calpac-free cover so that the airflow is as good or better. it could even be two part item, in this case the main part would be a base plate incorporating standard mounting bolts to allow you to mount a 3rd party box. The second part would be a fairing that mounts on the bolts if you aren't using a box to improve the airflow behind the headtube/stem. No reason this shouldn't be even better than the existing bento box for airflow purposes.

Callin' wrote:
is it really that bad that you get upset just looking at it? honest question, because I am considering a used IA1 frame
It's not good.
Being an engineer and having a design background I get really annoyed by needlessly poor design, especially when it undermines a lot of good work elsewhere. If this was a very complex and involved component, some minor issues could be forgiven. But it's not a complex item and the flaws aren't that minor. It's a simple stash box for some gels. Sometimes it's tricky to get a simple thing just right but it should be difficult to get it this wrong without realising it.
I am often a bit of a perfectionist and may be irritated by fairly minor things most wouldn't be bothered by. However in this case I'm not being a perfectionist, and I'm not the only one who's unimpressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7ofClubs wrote:
No but use infinit so it does not bother me. However, it is a poorly executed design unless you have E.T. fingers.

I just about spit my coffee out laughing

Quote Reply

Prev Next