Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [HBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Donald Trump put you up to this?

------------------------
If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good.
- Dr. Seuss
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [kvn371] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I happen to like the Donald. Granted he might not always be politically correct, but he says what a lot of people are thinking but can't say because we have HR departments to worry about. That being said, no he didn't put me up to this, and thinking about the Donald in a Tri kit is not exactly appealing.

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HBB wrote:
Anyone conceal and carry while out training on the bike ? What holster/gun combo are you using and how are you keeping it from moving around ?

I tried to think it through rationally (leaving the fruitless debate aside).

Scenario 1 (Bike Theft):
The best way to do this (as the thief) is to put fishing line up between trees and lay in wait. Once you hit it, you'll be down. Bike/wallet/gun are all mine. An alternative approach is to wait somewhere with a blind spot. You can hit the cyclist with a baseball bat before they even have time to react. Same result. Another alternative, wait on a downhill and walk the opposite way and push them off the bike while they're going 20-25 mph. These are all low risk from the muggers point of view. Victims rarely even get a look at who did it, maybe enough to say skin colour and number of people.

Scenario 2 (Vehicular Confrontation):
You (being the car driver) have an altercation with a cyclist. He pulls out his gun. Give him 10 minutes head-start to rebuild confidence that the situation is over and then go and run right over him (ideally on a downhill). Flee the scene or stay there and say that he was waving a gun at you and feared for your life. Chances are he won't even see you coming. If he does see you coming he won't have much time to react, and even if he pulls his puny small caliber pistol just duck your head a little lower and plow straight through him.

I guess a gun would be useful if you have the opportunity to pull over and brandish it. A cyclist is a vulnerable person though so I feel like premeditated attack is difficult to defend. Are we carrying guns for general altercations? I'm curious as to situations/scenarios people have encountered/imagined where carrying has a clear advantage.

(Sorry for not answered your question, not sorry)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FOX pepper spray. Safer for all involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear Pistolwear PT-2 Concealment holster. I turn it around backwards so it's SOB carry. Usually my Glock 42 or Springfield XD-S 9mm. Doesn't get in the way of my aero position and is well hidden under my cycling jersey.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

not really, as a society, we made the choice that carrying a weapon in canada isn't allowed unless you have a special permission for your work on protection of life. But a civilian can't. it s a choice we made, and while I understand there are still people loving guns and the sport of shooting...... we overall don't want gun in the streets....

Yes and this is the position in the entire rest of the democratic west.

Some time ago I reached the following philosophical position:

Many Americans feel that a society is safer with more guns. If in it's extreme, everyone has a gone on them at all times, or very quick and easy access to one at other times. On paper, this makes some sense - I would be CRAZY to violently attack or assault someone, knowing that they had a firearm on their person or near by, right. The deterrent factor supposedly would be huge! Of course, it does not work out that way in reality, and in the real world, with the US having much higher rates of violence, and an off-the-charts level of gun homicides compared to all other western democratic countries.

Whereas, in the rest of the democratic west, while an over simplification, we simply feel a society IS safer with fewer guns, and with laws and regulations that make it extremely hard to own a gun, and pretty severe restrictions on use for those gun owners

As for riding with a gun? Wow! I'm not even sure where to begin . . . but like Jonny, I am Canadian! :)

I don't own a gun but I would never support laws that banned guns in America. Few reasons:

1. We tried banning alcohol. Didn't work out so well. Politicians lined their pockets.
2. We have a war on drugs that is just a money grabbing train wreck. Politicians lined their pockets.
3. We have criminals that don't follow any laws, thus would get guns anyways.
4. We have a police force that appear to be getting more and more aggressive
5. We have a government that is just itching to strip freedoms and liberties from Americans.
6. We fought a revolutionary war with guns owned by households.

Note: Even with citizens having guns, police now have military surplus, thus no matter what, we will be out gunned now.

If we can ban certain guns in a way that guarantees criminals won't get the guns, then lets talk.

Last edited by: Economist: Jan 21, 16 7:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone would think you people live in Syria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HBB wrote:
I knew we'd get the ignorants all wound up with a post like this, but they can't help it, since they don't understand. Crimes are not being committed by lawful conceal carry people, rather thugs who have no regard for the law and would just as soon run you off the road and steal your expensive bike. As a law abiding conceal carry citizen, who fully understands the responsibility that comes with this, I am merely looking for good suggestions that others have for carrying.

You should give that rant to people in other parts of the developed world who don't need to carry a gun on their bike training.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
HBB wrote:
Well, as I mentioned earlier, this is getting away from the intent of this post, but let me play along with this hypothetical situation.

I'm out riding on my usual route in an unpopulated area. BillyBob and his brother in their pickup decide they don't like guys in Lycra sharing the road with me, so they decide to make life difficult for me. They try to run me off the road, they threaten me repeatedly and finally force me to stop or maybe even crash. I've tried to get away, but they're not giving up. They threaten me with bodily harm, getting out of their truck with a baseball bat and start coming at me such that I feel my life is in imminent danger. With my conceal carry, I would at least have the option to let them know that I am carrying and am willing to use it to protect myself.

But suppose Billy Bob decides to leave the baseball bat in the pickup and just starts slapping your Lycra-covered ass around with his bare hands while Joe Bob just sits back and laughs?

Ha Ha, My favorite reply of the entire thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [Rocketman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocketman wrote:
HBB wrote:
I knew we'd get the ignorants all wound up with a post like this, but they can't help it, since they don't understand. Crimes are not being committed by lawful conceal carry people, rather thugs who have no regard for the law and would just as soon run you off the road and steal your expensive bike. As a law abiding conceal carry citizen, who fully understands the responsibility that comes with this, I am merely looking for good suggestions that others have for carrying.

You should give that rant to people in other parts of the developed world who don't need to carry a gun on their bike training.

Be fair. Nobody needs it until they need it. Some people choose to take those precautions no matter how unlikely the situation may be. Until that time comes, and hopefully it never will, the firearm just sits there quietly causing no harm to anyone. Like a spare kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harmless, Sure if you ignore all of the statistics associated with gun ownership.

I'm sure the mother who was shot in the face by her toddler last year with the "harmless" handgun from her handbag felt the same way too.

A humorous look at gun the ownership debate

http://reverbpress.com/...es-gun-control-laws/
Last edited by: Rocketman: Jan 22, 16 5:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly. This isn't all that difficult to understand unless you don't want to, which is why this thread took off on the tangents it did.

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocketman wrote:
Harmless, Sure if you ignore all of the statistics associated with gun ownership.

I'm sure the mother who was shot in the face by her toddler last year with the "harmless" handgun from her handbag felt the same way too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0

How many guns exist in America? How many of them have been used to shoot somebody? How many of them killed somebody without the trigger being pulled? Good timing, as I just stated in the other thread that people on both sides cherry pick statistics.

I'm much more likely to be harmed by other accepted parts of modern life. I'm confident that my guns won't fire unless the trigger is pulled. I can do a fine job of ensuring that's unlikely to happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dhr wrote:
Rocketman wrote:

How many guns exist in America? How many of them have been used to shoot somebody? How many of them killed somebody without the trigger being pulled? Good timing, as I just stated in the other thread that people on both sides cherry pick statistics.

I'm much more likely to be harmed by other accepted parts of modern life. I'm confident that my guns won't fire unless the trigger is pulled. I can do a fine job of ensuring that's unlikely to happen.

Oh wow, you have me there. I don't know of any guns that killed people without the trigger being pulled. But unfortunately we can't kill or ban stupid people, so lets limit their access. That child mentioned above will grow up knowing she shot her parent in the face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocketman wrote:
dhr wrote:
Rocketman wrote:

Oh wow, you have me there. I don't know of any guns that killed people without the trigger being pulled. But unfortunately we can't kill or ban stupid people, so lets limit their access. That child mentioned above will grow up knowing she shot her parent in the face.

Pink font and an irrelevant response.

Misunderstanding the statistics to which you refer doesn't help. Stupid deaths happen without guns regularly. And I'm not against gun control. I'm against dumb, ineffective gun control. The overwhelmingly vast majority of guns will not harm anyone.

Besides, if we wanted to limit access to the stupid, you wouldn't be allowed online. Relax, I'm kidding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I see, cyclists don't die from gun violence, they usually suffer from hit and run by cars. You'd be safer following the traffic rules than carrying a gun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dhr wrote:
I can do a fine job of ensuring that's unlikely to happen.

At least you admit it's only unlikely, and not impossible. I wouldn't want any risk that one of my kids shoots the other (or me). There was a guy on American Idol the other day who still has massive struggles with dealing with the fact that he shot and killed his brother when they were kids.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that statistically it's safer for me not to have a gun in my home than it is to have one.

When you see a story on the news about a home invasion, there is a tendency to vastly over-estimate the implied probability of such a situation happening to you. I had to explain this to my kids when they started seeing news reports of house fires and then worried that our house could burn down in the night. The news channel doesn't mention the millions of homes that didn't burn down last night...
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimfan wrote:
What I see, cyclists don't die from gun violence, they usually suffer from hit and run by cars. You'd be safer following the traffic rules than carrying a gun.

These are two separate issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
dhr wrote:
I can do a fine job of ensuring that's unlikely to happen.

At least you admit it's only unlikely, and not impossible. I wouldn't want any risk that one of my kids shoots the other (or me). There was a guy on American Idol the other day who still has massive struggles with dealing with the fact that he shot and killed his brother when they were kids.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that statistically it's safer for me not to have a gun in my home than it is to have one.

When you see a story on the news about a home invasion, there is a tendency to vastly over-estimate the implied probability of such a situation happening to you. I had to explain this to my kids when they started seeing news reports of house fires and then worried that our house could burn down in the night. The news channel doesn't mention the millions of homes that didn't burn down last night...

Absolutely. Hopefully everyone does an honest and objective assessment of these issues before making a decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a law enforcement professional I see first hand the bad people in this world. I would never want to face slot of these people without a gun. With that in mind I'm an advocate for concealed carry. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. I carry a gun everywhere I go. Exception........ On my bike. I can see no reason to carry a gun where pepper spray won't do the trick. I can see tempers getting the best of people and bullets flying before people think first. How many bike hold ups do you really read about? My .02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, wait...what if there is a zombie outbreak? I would definitely want a gun when out riding or running!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did you end up doing?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we seriously having a debate on where and how to carry a gun on a bike? Seriously? How sad is this....
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this point I haven't done anything although I had several good recommendations from folks who were willing to provide positive feedback. As you can see though, it didn't take long after your follow up before some anti-gunner quickly had to jump back on the horse and beat their drum.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm taking my SDA class this weekend so that I'll be able to start carrying soon. When I bought my gun, I had a tough decision to make -- do I want something small enough to carry on the bike (like a S&W Bodyguard 380 that should fit in a jersey pocket) or not.

I tried to come up with scenarios in which I would be able to legally use that firearm while riding. I couldn't come up with many, and the ones I did think of had a low enough probability that I decided to go with an XDS 9mm instead, and not carry on the bike. If a car ran over my friends (or myself) the threat would be gone at the same time as the collision, so i don't think you could legally fire. I'm not going to shoot a dog. A mugging might be a scenario for some, but it has a super low probability where I ride, and the chances of somebody making me feel like my life is being threatened during a bike theft is super low. Plug, thugs don't usually mess with guys in spandex, in my experience.

The only realistic situation I could come up with is rolling up on another crime in progress and needing a gun to protect somebody else. (for example, a rape, armed robbery, etc). I could see a realistic possibility of that happening someday, so that gave me a small motivation to carry on the bike, but not enough that I decided it would be worth the hassle. Maybe after carrying on my person over the next few months will influence me to change my mind, but for now I'm going to have it on me at all times EXCEPT the bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next