Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread
Quote | Reply
Who on here has an ultra running race coming up this year? I know that I am not the only one.

I have a few planned for this year that I'm pretty stoked about. Southern Trail Ultra 50k here in Wilmington, NC at the end of the month. And the Gator Trail 50k at the end of next month also here in Wilmington. In June I'll be doing the Dusk to Dawn 50 miler in Pinehurst. After that I may get ready for an early attempt at another 100 miler next year.

Who else is racing, what ya running in, etc. I'd love to talk ultras

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will be doing (attempting) the Big Horn 100. http://www.bighorntrailrun.com/ The Bridger Ridge Run http://winddrinkers.org/ridge-run/
The Rut 50k http://runtherut.com/ and The Mountain Lake 100 https://gobeyondracing.com/.../mountain-lakes-100/
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So glad someone started this! Another North Carolina (Cary) ultra runner here. Did Gator Trail the year before last and loved it! Weymoth Woods is another local one to keep on your radar. Was hoping to do Southern Trail down in Wilmington but I'm actually currently in Hong Kong getting ready to run the HK 100 (first race of the ultra trail World Tour). Where in NC are you based?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a 6 hour in May and Can lakes 50mi in October. I fill in the summer with some local races and IMLP.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msaad7 wrote:
Where in NC are you based?
I live in Wilmington

Kenney wrote:
Will be doing (attempting) the Big Horn 100. http://www.bighorntrailrun.com/ The Bridger Ridge Run http://winddrinkers.org/ridge-run/
The Rut 50k http://runtherut.com/ and The Mountain Lake 100https://gobeyondracing.com/.../mountain-lakes-100/

2 100 Milers in a year? That's pretty stout dude. Keep us up to date on how they go. Those will be your first two??

I ran a relay for the Tuna Run 200 last year. This year they are adding a 70 mile relay option, and I am thinking abut doing a solo 70 instead of doing a team. Seems like a good distance to suck just enough

Last edited by: Turd Ferguson: Jan 18, 16 15:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Charlotte based ultra runner here. Looking at the 50m at the whitewater center in October and another NC in October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the Big Horn 100 twice before. The first year I was trained on the endurance side, but was not ready for the ruggedness of the terrain and the climbing. I am 6ft 195, so lot of weight to push. I made it past 50 but my strength was gone. Last year I knew what I had to do in training, sadly I had a stress fracture from running stairs and could not run for Feb and March. Starting April for a 100 in June was not enough. This time just the opposite, had the strength but not endurance. I set my own cut offs for my goal and did not make my cut off at the 30 mile point so I bagged it. Made the races but not mine. The next point after 30 to leave the course was at 50, I knew I could make that cut off but was not going to make the 100 so chose to stop there and not run through the night and kill my other runs. Then did a lot of training in the mountains all summer and finished with the rut and bridger ridge run. Bridger has about 8,000 climbing and 10,000 drop in 19.7 miles and the rut 10,000 up and down in 50k. ........In my fourth week of 24 week plan right now. A friend that has done the Bighorn 12 times (in June) advised I will be fine for a fall 100......................so looking forward to all summer at least one day a weekend in the mountains here in Montana
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be in Wilmington for the Southern Trail as well. My wife and a good friend of ours are running the race and I will be there as support. I can pass back some high 5s as you burn through your laps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far I have almost all trail ultras on my schedule and only 1 triathlon (IM CDA). Antelope Canyon 55K, Speedgoat 50K, Squaw Peak 50 mile (will be my first 50 miler), and another local 50K in the fall. Since moving to Utah the trails and ultras have just been so much more fun. As much as cycling in the mountains is great, I'd still rather be on the trails!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only doing one 70.3 tri this year (Door County), everything else will be ultras as part of a race or pacing friends.

Really looking forward to:
R2R2R in May with a group of friends.
Superior 100 Miler in northern MN. I hear it's hard as hell!
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [TRIing2Run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIing2Run wrote:
I will be in Wilmington for the Southern Trail as well. My wife and a good friend of ours are running the race and I will be there as support. I can pass back some high 5s as you burn through your laps.

I'll take you up on that offer. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
I tried the Big Horn 100 twice before. The first year I was trained on the endurance side, but was not ready for the ruggedness of the terrain and the climbing. I am 6ft 195, so lot of weight to push. I made it past 50 but my strength was gone. Last year I knew what I had to do in training, sadly I had a stress fracture from running stairs and could not run for Feb and March. Starting April for a 100 in June was not enough. This time just the opposite, had the strength but not endurance. I set my own cut offs for my goal and did not make my cut off at the 30 mile point so I bagged it. Made the races but not mine. The next point after 30 to leave the course was at 50, I knew I could make that cut off but was not going to make the 100 so chose to stop there and not run through the night and kill my other runs. Then did a lot of training in the mountains all summer and finished with the rut and bridger ridge run. Bridger has about 8,000 climbing and 10,000 drop in 19.7 miles and the rut 10,000 up and down in 50k. ........In my fourth week of 24 week plan right now. A friend that has done the Bighorn 12 times (in June) advised I will be fine for a fall 100......................so looking forward to all summer at least one day a weekend in the mountains here in Montana

I hope that the third times a charm for you. As someone who's run that distance before and I am sure you know from experience, I would also recommend that you don't forget about the mental side of it all. Is your friend going to be running it with you? (Pacing)

Also, if you or anybody needs any type of motivation I can not recommend enough watching this video from youtube about finishing your first 100 miler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBdA-7dSvs

This may be one of the well made and inspiring running videos Ive ever seen

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
The Rut 50k http://runtherut.com/ and The Mountain Lake 100https://gobeyondracing.com/.../mountain-lakes-100/[/quote[/url]]

Good luck! I grew up in Sheridan and went back to visit family and do the Bighorn 18M last year. It was my favorite race ever. It took me on trails that I had never been on and had what are probably the best volunteers of any race I have done. This year, I have registered for the 50k. It will be my first ultra, and I am so excited.

ETA: That ridge run looks terrifying.
Last edited by: happyscientist: Jan 19, 16 6:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am coaching a client for his firstly 50 Miler- good athletic background including many marathons and IM races- His race in the Bonneville Salt Flats in late April - anyone here have any experience with this particular race please? Tks

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
will be doing Uwharrie 40 next year. Have done the 20 several times but never the 40. To prepare I would like to maintain some swim and bike. Can you give me some idea of how you integrate ultra training into tri training. For my build, I was planning on maintaining 3 swims per week, 2 easy to moderate rides, and run ~5x week with one hill repeat session per week and back to back long runs (Umstead) ever other week. Thanks for any info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been convincing myself that this is the year I go 100. Tunnel Hill race in south Illinois to be exact. Looks really good for crew/family to see you multiple times easily, good for a flatlander like myself as its flat and on crushed gravel type paths. My stomach turns when I think about it, but I think thats a positive? It's in November, so should have time to get into a training plan after most of the tri stuff is done for my year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ran a 50k a week ago now training for Leatherwood 50 miler in Ferguson NC.
After that I will decide whats next.

I am a bit scared since there's no hills where I train and it has a ton of elevation.
The 50k I just ran had 2800' gain and 2700' loss and I blew my quads out on that, its not building my confidence.
I have realized I will be "hiking" a lot!

I didn't get in the Leadville 100 lottery so I will try again next year or just buy a charity slot.
Last edited by: Rover24: Jan 19, 16 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats a tough one. I by no means is or was a coach. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

I am fortunate enough this year that I am not doing any tris and focusing on ultra running. But in years past Ive run into this exact problem. The biggest problem I ran into was based upon whatever kind of tri I had coming up. Meaning, that shorter tris called for higher intensity run workouts, which I found difficult to blend into a long endurance run plan. From what you've got listed for your workouts, I think you'll be alright in two regards:
1. Some sort of speed work. (Hill repeats, just made my throw up in my mouth just typing that. I hate hill repeats) Keeps the legs moving at a good clip.
2. Luckily, Uwharrie isn't that long of a race. I would treat it almost as a traditional marathon in terms of distances ran in training. From my standpoint for something of that distance, the last couple hours would be between the ears anyway. That way you avoid the 35 mile training run and being out of commission for a swim or ride due to recovery.

Hope that helps.

Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
My stomach turns when I think about it, but I think thats a positive?

Earlier I linked this video and cannot say enough good things about it. It deals with everything ultra running. Anxiety, highs, lows, everything. It should pump you up. Ive watched it three times in as many weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBdA-7dSvs

My best advice I can give you from a preparation standpoint for the race. Obviously, run a lot. But more importantly don't underestimate the mental game. You will feel the highest of highs, and lows that will make you question life. And unlike running a marathon were the mental "wall" may be a few miles, in 100 milers, that "wall" low can last for hours.

I would also recommend you practice at least once, running through the night. To get used to the solitude. I wish you the best of luck. Check in on this thread and let us know how its going

Last edited by: Turd Ferguson: Jan 19, 16 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep, I had to stop really training for tris although if you are just having fun an IM training doesn't conflict too much with 50 miler training as I did that in 2014. July 50 miler with September IM.

I haven't been on my bike since that September IM in 2014 as last year was all 100 miler training which is a whole different beast IMHO as opposed to 50 miler training. Sort of like the jump from 70.3 to 140.6 in difference...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run lots of them and finally DNF'd one by running too fast in conditions that were too warm. Which is funny because "fast" was still stupid slow and "warm" was probably 60 degrees. A 100 miler is still the thing that I compare all else too. People that are actually good at them are awe-inspiring. Hats off to those racing some this year - you are brave!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn you for trying to make me accountable!!!! Thx for the tips and the video is great, will check back in after I commit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to do the Vermont 50 at the end of September. Registration doesn't open until May, so it's not a done deal yet.

I've never done an ultra before, and I've concluded that this will be a very different kind of experience in compared to tri's or marathons. My research continues.

Right now, I'm wondering if I need a pacer for the final miles. My gut feeling is that I'll be okay without one, but with no experience under my belt, I could be having the incorrect feeling.

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's talk ultras. Un-official 2016 ST Ultra Running thread [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I did a 50 I didnt use a pacer, I liked being alone for both the highs and lows. I did run with a guy for a few miles and was so annoyed at him for talking, nothing against him I think it was just the idea of a conversation that I didnt want any part of at the moment. I'd consider one depending on how far/sparse the aid stations are, or maybe if I was running at night, but when I ran during the day on a somewhat populated course I didn't have a need. Good luck.
Quote Reply

Prev Next