Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking specifically about drawing a concealed weapon. You pose a completely different scenario than that. ..............you pose a completely different topic which I do not care to go to on a tri forum
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote]SW 340D, internal hammer, nothing to snag, like 12 oz.[/quote]

That would work if you want to rock a fanny pack, but not for a jersey pocket. It is still much larger size than a Ruger LCP, and significantly heavier (it's 13.3oz) especially when loaded almost 50% heavier. To put that in perspective the smallest gun on the market already weighs as much as two cell phones, so in my opinion size/weight is going to be the most important factor for effectively carrying on the bike. A typical 9 mm weighs more than four cell phones, not something I want bouncing around while I ride. 380 micro pistol is the only gun I think possible to carry in a jersey pocket and still easily draw. everything else is going to require some sort of holster system or fanny pack (which is fine if you want but certainly too bulky for me)
Last edited by: USPro Tri: Jan 18, 16 15:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
Is the camera permanently chained to your head? What stops the perp from taking your video equipment after he takes your bike and your wallet?

I don't know about others, but video and photos I shoot on my Nexus 6P are uploaded to the Google cloud server right away, so even if the phone is lost, the video evidence is still there.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [speed856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
speed856 wrote:
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm

Fits in any pocket.

Yep...same as me. Uncle Mike size 12 holster. http://www.unclemikes.com/...de-the-pant-holsters
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
I was talking specifically about drawing a concealed weapon. You pose a completely different scenario than that. ..............you pose a completely different topic which I do not care to go to on a tri forum

LOL, yeah, we want to stay on-topic.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USPro Tri wrote:
SW 340D, internal hammer, nothing to snag, like 12 oz.[/quote]

That would work if you want to rock a fanny pack, but not for a jersey pocket.[/quote]

There's your answer! Fanny pack or nothing. Actually, I'm starting to like the idea of strapping a holster to the bike.
Last edited by: DJFaithful: Jan 18, 16 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USPro Tri wrote:
That would work if you want to rock a fanny pack, but not for a jersey pocket. It is still much larger size than a Ruger LCP, and significantly heavier (it's 13.3oz) especially when loaded almost 50% heavier. To put that in perspective the smallest gun on the market already weighs as much as two cell phones, so in my opinion size/weight is going to be the most important factor for effectively carrying on the bike. 380 micro pistol is the only gun I think possible to carry in a jersey pocket and still easily draw, everything else is going to require some sort of holster system or fanny pack (which is fine if you want but certainly too bulky for me)

The other issue is sweat damaging the gun if it is in your back pocket. You'd pretty much have to stick it in a plastic bag or waterproof case, which would make it hard to draw and ready quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're in Syria, use a trainer. Seriously.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are in Syria, I doubt you'd want to waste your limited calorie intake each day with unneeded exercise, considering a large number of people are starving there.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
USPro Tri wrote:
That would work if you want to rock a fanny pack, but not for a jersey pocket. It is still much larger size than a Ruger LCP, and significantly heavier (it's 13.3oz) especially when loaded almost 50% heavier. To put that in perspective the smallest gun on the market already weighs as much as two cell phones, so in my opinion size/weight is going to be the most important factor for effectively carrying on the bike. 380 micro pistol is the only gun I think possible to carry in a jersey pocket and still easily draw, everything else is going to require some sort of holster system or fanny pack (which is fine if you want but certainly too bulky for me)

The other issue is sweat damaging the gun if it is in your back pocket. You'd pretty much have to stick it in a plastic bag or waterproof case, which would make it hard to draw and ready quickly.

You just clean it regularly, wiping down with LCP. No issues with sweat.

edit: That's CLP.
Last edited by: DJFaithful: Jan 18, 16 15:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
lightheir wrote:
This has been mentioned in the past before, but the single best deterrent now for potential and actual thuggery aimed at you while on your bike:

CELL PHONE CAMERA.

Seriously, if someone drives by, and dangerously tosses an hard object at you that hits you in the head, even leaving you bleeding and stunned while on your bike, what do you do, draw your gun and fire on him? Whereas with the camera (esp video), you can not only capture the assailant's face and vehicle #, but even prevent situations from escalating regardless of how small or large the event is.

I'll take an on-the-bike or on-the-helmet running vidcam any day over a concealed pistol, unless I'm in Syria or some other war-torn country.

Is the camera permanently chained to your head? What stops the perp from taking your video equipment after he takes your bike and your wallet?

Ummm, you take the phone out BEFORE any of this badness happens. Pull that phone out the moment you get any inkling of badness coming your way, even if it's as trivial as someone driving a bit too close.

If the assailant is so fast and sneaky that he knocks you out before you can even turn your helmet-mounted camera to him or whip out your cell phone from your pocket, odds are pretty good you wouldn't have much chance pulling your pistol fast enough either.

If you're riding in areas that someone's so determined to kill you and steal your wallet while you're in lycra bike gear (because we carry thousands of dollars in our wallets on bike rides), you've got other issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very true, but you're going to run into the sweat issue no matter how you carry it while riding. Fannypack might make it at least less likely. Also some models have a stainless steel option to protect the surface

Although I carry my cell phone in my pocket all the time without a case and it doesn't get wet with sweat unless it's a super hot and muggy day, most of the time it should be OK. Any gun you carry-on you should be in some sort of holster anyway, and that should protect it for all except the insanely hot days. Perhaps an open top neoprene pouch would work
Last edited by: USPro Tri: Jan 18, 16 15:41
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
lightheir wrote:
This has been mentioned in the past before, but the single best deterrent now for potential and actual thuggery aimed at you while on your bike:

CELL PHONE CAMERA.

Seriously, if someone drives by, and dangerously tosses an hard object at you that hits you in the head, even leaving you bleeding and stunned while on your bike, what do you do, draw your gun and fire on him? Whereas with the camera (esp video), you can not only capture the assailant's face and vehicle #, but even prevent situations from escalating regardless of how small or large the event is.

I'll take an on-the-bike or on-the-helmet running vidcam any day over a concealed pistol, unless I'm in Syria or some other war-torn country.

Ummm, you take the phone out BEFORE any of this badness happens. Pull that phone out the moment you get any inkling of badness coming your way, even if it's as trivial as someone driving a bit too close.

If the assailant is so fast and sneaky that he knocks you out before you can even turn your helmet-mounted camera to him or whip out your cell phone from your pocket, odds are pretty good you wouldn't have much chance pulling your pistol fast enough either.

If you're riding in areas that someone's so determined to kill you and steal your wallet while you're in lycra bike gear (because we carry thousands of dollars in our wallets on bike rides), you've got other issues.

Suppose he's wearing a wool mask? Suppose he just doesn't give a sh*T and doesn't mind or doesn't even put it together that you're playing Stephen Spielberg and robs your @ss anyway? Supposed he's on crack! : )
Last edited by: DJFaithful: Jan 18, 16 15:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
lightheir wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
lightheir wrote:

CELL PHONE CAMERA.

Suppose he's wearing a wool mask? Suppose he just doesn't give a sh*T and doesn't mind or even doesn't even put it together that you're playing Stephen Spielberg and robs your @ss anyway?

Dude, now you're' doing crazy talk.

Wool mask robbers on a mid-day bike ride? Seriously? Ok, if that's the case, or you happen to be trailed by cold-blooded masked terrorists fully intent on killing you on your bike mid-ride, you're better off with a pistol (or assault rifle.)
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [HBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being armed doesn't always prevent a crime
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/...article34330491.html

Quote:
Cyclist robbed at gunpoint at Columbus bike trail
A 42-year-old man told Columbus Police that another man robbed him at gunpoint Monday at the bike trail between Hilton Avenue and Willis Road.
The Columbus man said the gunman aimed a pistol at him and demanded his property. Within minutes, the thief had fled the scene with the victim's bookbag,
SIG Sauer P226 firearm and a Motobecane mountain bike collectively worth $1,250, according to the report.
Last edited by: GAscott: Jan 18, 16 15:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
lightheir wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
lightheir wrote:

CELL PHONE CAMERA.

Suppose he's wearing a wool mask? Suppose he just doesn't give a sh*T and doesn't mind or even doesn't even put it together that you're playing Stephen Spielberg and robs your @ss anyway?

Wool mask robbers on a mid-day bike ride? Seriously? Ok, if that's the case, or you happen to be trailed by cold-blooded masked terrorists fully intent on killing you on your bike mid-ride, you're better off with a pistol (or assault rifle.)

Ok, just to be sure, you ought to affix one of these to your bike then. Front and rear, to be really safe!

http://images.mysecuritysign.com/...-Use-Sign-K-5948.gif
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:

Sure, but that's a pain. I have a hard enough time cleaning my bike after a rainy ride. It's one thing to clean your rifle after a camping/hunting trip, and a completely different deal having to breakdown and clean a pistol each night when you get home from riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beretta Nano with a pocket holster in your jersey pocket might work if your jersey is tight enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJFaithful wrote:
lightheir wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
lightheir wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
lightheir wrote:

CELL PHONE CAMERA.

Ok, just to be sure, you ought to affix one of these to your bike then. Front and rear, to be really safe!

Nah, that's just more stupid.

Everyone gets the message when you whip out the cell phone camera. Sends the right message, and doesn't escalate the violence. In fact, it's probably the ONLY means of de-escalating without running away or profusely apologizing for something you didn't do wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:

Sure, but that's a pain. I have a hard enough time cleaning my bike after a rainy ride. It's one thing to clean your rifle after a camping/hunting trip, and a completely different deal having to breakdown and clean a pistol each night when you get home from riding.

I hear you, but it takes only takes two minutes to disassemble and wipe it down. BTW, those little 380 pop guns have a reputation for jamming. Just google it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
lightheir wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
lightheir wrote:
DJFaithful wrote:
lightheir wrote:

CELL PHONE CAMERA.

Nah, that's just more stupid.

Everyone gets the message when you whip out the cell phone camera. Sends the right message, and doesn't escalate the violence. In fact, it's probably the ONLY means of de-escalating without running away or profusely apologizing for something you didn't do wrong.

There you go. That crack addict will just wait for the next bike drive by!
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [xgep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xgep wrote:
Quote:
Let me ask you this, as an "expert," do you recommend that the guy carry a .380?

Never said I'm an expert.

My recommendations were above, if he feels the need to carry, evaluate the best way to do it and see if it works for him. I hate fanny packs but they are basically the only way to feasibly carry on a bike. As for choice of caliber/firearm my suggestion would be to carry the largest gun/caliber the person can shoot accurately. Modern bullet design has made most caliber considerations irrelevant, though .380 would not be my first choice of defensive caliber. A glock 43 is basically identical in size to the .380 version, and .38 revolvers are often smaller but with better performance. The only important thing in that conversation is whether or not the OP can shoot that gun/caliber accurately. Only hits matter, and only hits in important areas are effective. A .22LR can be dangerous as hell in the right hands.

Wow. This thread has been interesting.

My recommendation is to carry the biggest caliber firearm you are comfortable shooting, and is comfortable to be carried. For "people" scenarios I carry a .380 (Glock most often, and a GREAT gun, Ruger LCP, and a Sig...but it's heavier). I practice often, and am familiar with it. When I carry it, I can barely feel it and it's easy to carry. For "critter" scenarios I carry a S&W Scandium .357. Very light, but I notice it when on me. Pulling the trigger when loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo...hurts. Hurts very much. But when faced with a Grizzly, I'll take some hand/arm pain over being chewed on.

Carry what you are comfortable operating and comfortable carrying. If it's uncomfortable in any of those categories you won't carry it...and then it doesn't matter. A .22lr is better than nothing if you know how to use it, just like a .454 is worthless if you are afraid to pull the trigger or you have left it at home.
Last edited by: Culley22: Jan 18, 16 16:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only in murica!
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [laro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laro wrote:
Only in murica!

Love it or leave it!
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:

For "critter" scenarios I carry a S&W Scandium .357. Very light, but I notice it when on me. Pulling the trigger when loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo...hurts. Hurts very much. But when faced with a Grizzly, I'll take some hand/arm pain over being chewed on.

It's like getting hit with a baseball bat in your open hand, full swing! I used to practice at the range with 38 in my SW scandium J frame, but occasionally I would shoot 357, as that's what I would carry with. I'd shoot two rounds and just stop, thinking "why?" Why get hit with a baseball bat three MORE times?
Last edited by: DJFaithful: Jan 18, 16 16:35
Quote Reply

Prev Next