Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
....please, stay away from canada!!!! no need for weapon up north! we dont like guns!

I think you use the term "we" a bit too loosely. There are plenty of guns/gun owners in Canada already. I've met plenty of civilian shooters from Canada; I don't know where they all live, but you have a thriving community in Abbotsford. Abbotsford Fish & Game Club is actually a pretty decent facility.
Last edited by: rijndael: Jan 18, 16 5:21
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It just the next big scam by the major bike companies to force us to buy new equipment. Creating another solution for a problem that never existed in the first place.
Maybe that last sentence shouldn't be in pink. In fact it definitely shouldn't be in pink.

Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah lets encourage them to come up and break the law and lose their nice guns.

No way its legal to carry while running or riding. If they want to fill out a bunch of forms, keep it in a lock box and head to a range be my guest. Keeping it at the ready for personal protection is not an option.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [HBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still working on the holster idea...thought about modifying a plastic holster to screw into the water bottle bosses or even just zip-tying a holster behind the seat. Was hoping this thread would be more helpful. But, man, there sure are a lot of ignorant hippies replying instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [cairodog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cairodog wrote:
Still working on the holster idea...thought about modifying a plastic holster to screw into the water bottle bosses or even just zip-tying a holster behind the seat. Was hoping this thread would be more helpful. But, man, there sure are a lot of ignorant hippies replying instead.

It seems like your best best would be a Camelbak with an open side sleeve where a holster could be secured. If it rode low on your back, you could slip your hand behind you to access the weapon. It would not seem out of place while riding.

There have to be fanny packs with a similar access scheme.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
what ever way you find to carry it....please, stay away from canada!!!! no need for weapon up north! we dont like guns!

There are times/places up here where I wouldn't be without a loaded canister of bear spray though... does that count?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew we'd get the ignorants all wound up with a post like this, but they can't help it, since they don't understand. Crimes are not being committed by lawful conceal carry people, rather thugs who have no regard for the law and would just as soon run you off the road and steal your expensive bike. As a law abiding conceal carry citizen, who fully understands the responsibility that comes with this, I am merely looking for good suggestions that others have for carrying.

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm

Fits in any pocket.
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [atomic_shaggy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atomic_shaggy wrote:
...I'd look into either a pocket-type holster or maybe a sneaky pete. Back pocket of cycling jersey or jacket and you're good to go.....
.....Use common sense and be safe out there.
I think part B is in conflict with part A!
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
Yeah lets encourage them to come up and break the law and lose their nice guns.
Where did I suggest he break the law or cross the border? I was merely addressing these sentences:

Quote:
no need for weapon up north! we dont like guns!
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [speed856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a little Glock 26 that I still think would be obnoxious to carry on most rides.

Is something even smaller really ineffective or would it be better than carrying nothing? I do most of my training indoors, and live in rural Ohio, so it's not something I need to think about much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cairodog wrote:

A lot of people carry their gun where they used to carry their balls.

Just kidding... if you're psycho!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
jonnyo wrote:
....please, stay away from canada!!!! no need for weapon up north! we dont like guns!

I think you use the term "we" a bit too loosely. There are plenty of guns/gun owners in Canada already. I've met plenty of civilian shooters from Canada; I don't know where they all live, but you have a thriving community in Abbotsford. Abbotsford Fish & Game Club is actually a pretty decent facility.

not really, as a society, we made the choice that carrying a weapon in canada isn't allowed unless you have a special permission for your work on protection of life. But a civilian can't. it s a choice we made, and while I understand there are still people loving guns and the sport of shooting...... we overall don't want gun in the streets....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [Mell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mell wrote:
jonnyo wrote:
what ever way you find to carry it....please, stay away from canada!!!! no need for weapon up north! we dont like guns!

There are times/places up here where I wouldn't be without a loaded canister of bear spray though... does that count?

I m with you! I have a beer spray canister in my truck and one in my bag when camping! never had to use it....but you never know....my wife gets grumpy at times!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not really, as a society, we made the choice that carrying a weapon in canada isn't allowed unless you have a special permission for your work on protection of life. But a civilian can't. it s a choice we made, and while I understand there are still people loving guns and the sport of shooting...... we overall don't want gun in the streets....

Yes and this is the position in the entire rest of the democratic west.

Some time ago I reached the following philosophical position:

Many Americans feel that a society is safer with more guns. If in it's extreme, everyone has a gone on them at all times, or very quick and easy access to one at other times. On paper, this makes some sense - I would be CRAZY to violently attack or assault someone, knowing that they had a firearm on their person or near by, right. The deterrent factor supposedly would be huge! Of course, it does not work out that way in reality, and in the real world, with the US having much higher rates of violence, and an off-the-charts level of gun homicides compared to all other western democratic countries.

Whereas, in the rest of the democratic west, while an over simplification, we simply feel a society IS safer with fewer guns, and with laws and regulations that make it extremely hard to own a gun, and pretty severe restrictions on use for those gun owners

As for riding with a gun? Wow! I'm not even sure where to begin . . . but like Jonny, I am Canadian! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone race with a gun? Novel way to deal with persisent drafters.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had people getting their bikes and cells jacked on a local bike path (SART for local SoCal) a few years ago. What they did was find something to knock you off your bike before you can react and 3 or 4 assholes were on you, then they would beat the shit out of you...bye, bye bike and cell.

I'm not sure if you guys have ever crashed going 20mph but to think you're going to be able to get the gun out in a crash before theses POS get on you is streach. I'm guess they'll seal the gun, shoot you or both.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Jan 18, 16 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
HBB wrote:
I'm sure there are lots of scenarios depending on where one trains, either riding or running. Being proactive is never a bad idea.

Avoiding areas where you think you need a gun for protection is never a bad idea either.

Bingo!

I work in law enforcement and carry a gun for a living. While we can't account for every scenario and contingency, situational awareness goes an awfully long way in avoiding potential shit shows. If you feel the need to carry a firearm while cycling you're clearly not the most situationally aware individual. Either go cycling somewhere else or ride your trainer. The most proactive thing to do is to avoid the area where you think you need to be armed. This isn't rocket science.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
The most proactive thing to do is to avoid the area where you think you need to be armed. This isn't rocket science.

While I agree and don't carry a gun anywhere personally, I would say most sane people avoid areas where they think their life would be in danger, yet still there are armed robberies, shootings, etc of innocent individuals in those areas. For example, school shootings, movie theater shootings, home invasions, etc.. I grew up around the outdoors and have always been exposed to firearms. The idea of a law abiding citizen owning a gun just doesn't phase me. If someone felt they needed to carry a gun, as long as they are responsible, safe, and smart, it just is a non issue. At least in the areas I've lived, you'd be surprised how many people carry, or keep firearms in their vehicles (legally). I personally don't feel the need to do it, even though I've taken all classes and have a permit (was working in various states and permit allowed me to have a gun in vehicle as long as permit was reciprocated by that state). But that's my personal choice. If someone decides to, then it's not an issue to me. I don't have statistics, but I doubt you see much in regards to illegal activities being perpetrated by someone legally carrying with a permit. I know anyone I know that does it takes special precautions to make sure they are safe and aware of their surroundings while carrying. So if guns are legal, and those permitted to carry legally are not causing any problems, what is the issue with it?
Quote Reply
Re: Conceal Carry Recommendations [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
The most proactive thing to do is to avoid the area where you think you need to be armed. This isn't rocket science.

While I agree and don't carry a gun anywhere personally, I would say most sane people avoid areas where they think their life would be in danger, yet still there are armed robberies, shootings, etc of innocent individuals in those areas. For example, school shootings, movie theater shootings, home invasions, etc.. I grew up around the outdoors and have always been exposed to firearms. The idea of a law abiding citizen owning a gun just doesn't phase me. If someone felt they needed to carry a gun, as long as they are responsible, safe, and smart, it just is a non issue. At least in the areas I've lived, you'd be surprised how many people carry, or keep firearms in their vehicles (legally). I personally don't feel the need to do it, even though I've taken all classes and have a permit (was working in various states and permit allowed me to have a gun in vehicle as long as permit was reciprocated by that state). But that's my personal choice. If someone decides to, then it's not an issue to me. I don't have statistics, but I doubt you see much in regards to illegal activities being perpetrated by someone legally carrying with a permit. I know anyone I know that does it takes special precautions to make sure they are safe and aware of their surroundings while carrying. So if guns are legal, and those permitted to carry legally are not causing any problems, what is the issue with it?

Kind of missing the point.

There's a big difference in exercising your rights and feeling the need to be armed while cycling due to self defense reasons. Is riding a bike that critical in one's life that one feels they may need deadly force to protect themselves? Sounds like a fucked up sense of priorities to me.

Carry all the guns you want. Avoiding areas you feel unsafe is by far and away the smartest and most proactive choice that can be made. This isn't debatable.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 18, 16 8:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As another viewpoint from law enforcement and someone who carries a gun every single day. I do not carry while riding my bike. I don't for several reasons. Firstly, I don't ride my bike in areas and times where it should ever be necessary absent something where my best and first choice of action should be getting the hell away. Now, if I was riding my bike to work, or times/areas with different considerations I might do something different. Secondly, there are no available solutions to carrying a concealed handgun while riding my bike in a training situation which are acceptable to me. Fanny packs or other gun bags are about the only option, and those suck from an accessibility standpoint. Carrying on the bike is silly when you consider the most likely reason to be assaulted on a bike is to steal the bike. If the bike goes, so does your gun. Carrying in jersey pockets or anywhere else on your person is going to be very uncomfortable and not concealed (think about what most riders are wearing during training rides, where the hell are you going to hide a gun?).

Evaluate the real need to carry a firearm while biking. First you might need to reevaluate where and when you are biking, then if it is still necessary really think about whether or not it is physically feasible to add a firearm to what you are already loaded down with. If you're determined that you need to carry a gun, look at others who have to carry one while on bikes (Secret Service and State Department both have to do it regularly) and mimic their setups. They invariably utilize fanny packs, obviously they've determined it's the only reasonably concealable and accessible solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but even though you are in law enforcement, I'm going to have to disagree with your statement that I'm not situationally aware. I live in a very good part of town, and my ride routes don't take me into bad areas. I am very aware of where the bad parts of town are and purposely don't ride there. But bad things happen and bad guys can be found anywhere. As expected, this thread is quickly getting away from its original question, which is "what type of holster works best for riding".

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I definitely don't think anyone should ride where they don't feel safe. Just saying that just because you decide to ride (or do anything) somewhere that you "feel is safe" doesn't really change the fact that you can have something happen to you anywhere. And if you believe that you should be able to protect yourself in any situation, so you decide to carry, I don't think that only riding where "it's safe" has any bearing on whether one carries or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HBB wrote:
Sorry, but even though you are in law enforcement, I'm going to have to disagree with your statement that I'm not situationally aware. I live in a very good part of town, and my ride routes don't take me into bad areas. I am very aware of where the bad parts of town are and purposely don't ride there. But bad things happen and bad guys can be found anywhere. As expected, this thread is quickly getting away from its original question, which is "what type of holster works best for riding".

You need to play the odds. Odds are probably about as close to zero as possible that's something is going to happen. Even if (and that's a big if) something happened do you think you would be able to access the firearm, or be physically capable of dealing with the situation. Ever tried shooting with an elevated heart rate? Now add stress and tunnel vision and odds are you a) couldn't access the firearm efficiently, and b) couldn't hit a target 5' in front of you.

You're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I carry my gun everywhere I go within the USA. On airplanes, at sporting events, at the grocery store, my kid's school, you name it. I'm a very vigilant person. I have never once carried while riding and running.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
about a year and a half ago, I had a CC individual nearly run me over. If I had a camera, I am sure it would have shown <6 inches of space between me and his vehicle. It was enough to make me swerve and nearly lose it against the curb. (this was a 4 lane + center median - where cyclists have the right to the full lane and is stated every mile or so). Anyways, he passed and I threw my finger up at him (in retrospect, I should have just let this go). when I passed him (he was stuck in a line of traffic in the left lane at the light, he rolled his window down and started yelling, etc. when traffic began to move, his lane caught up to us and he pulled his gun out telling us (small group of 2 of us) that we "don't want to mess with him". Now, while I am not sure what 2 guys in spandex are going to do against a someone in a car, but he somehow felt 'threatened' - or at least that is what he told the cops when they arrested him 30 minutes later.

From that day forward, I have chosen the trainer for most of my rides, and to give up making something out of nothing on the roads. I learned that when I ride outside, expect bad drivers and carry a camera.

Now, for CC options, Camelback with a side pocket. they have ones specific for CC/easy access. 5.11 makes some as well that might work for you. As for hardware options, I personally prefer the XD9 Sub Compact as with the extended mag, it holds 16+1 in a side stack configuration.

Team Gingerfight
Quote Reply

Prev Next